Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Platypus Farm posted:

Look, the main thing here is that there's no way that a purple dildo on a stick could actually cut anyone's head off. Maybe bruise them if you swung it hard enough, but decapitate them?

This sounds like a job for MythBusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Platypus Farm posted:

Look, the main thing here is that there's no way that a purple dildo on a stick could actually cut anyone's head off. Maybe bruise them if you swung it hard enough, but decapitate them?

You're playing the realism card in a Shadow Warrior game?

Please tell me more about realism in shadow warrior while I'm shooting fireballs at ghosts :allears:

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Very Important Question, does this game have a personal nuke launcher which kills anything within line of sight?

Shadow Warrior was awesome and insanely good fun in multiplayer. The weaponset was so gloriously overpowered I think I had even more fun than in Duke 3D.

The trailers I've seen so far have made me laugh so nuke=buy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fwoderwick posted:

Very Important Question, does this game have a personal nuke which kills anything within line of sight?

Shadow Warrior was awesome and insanely good fun in multiplayer. The weaponset was so gloriously overpowered I think I had even more fun than in Duke 3D.

The trailers I've seen so far have made me laugh so nuke=buy.

Don't think it does, unless it's a secret pickup they haven't revealed.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

This one has turned down the comical racism, and added a giant dildo cross promo weapon. I think that is lame
I'm expecting you to blame liberals and tell us to get of your lawn next.

Hard Reset wasn't anywhere near as good as Painkiller. I'm cautiously optimistic for this one.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Don't think it does, unless it's a secret pickup they haven't revealed.

The tears of a Wang are saddest of all...

(Will probably buy anyway)

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I really, really want to play this but I have an odd issue.

Hard Reset is the only game I've ever played that would consistently over-heat my video card. Has anyone who has played it for reviewing, early copy, etc. run into any issues? It was such a weird problem and completely caught me off-guard when it happened. I was never able to figure out why that game, and only that one, would give my video card such grief.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I didn't see it posted, but Rock, Paper, Shotgun made a roughly 30 minute video that starts with the first level then skips around after that.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/16/30-minutes-of-me-blathering-all-over-shadow-warrior/

Some spoilers obviously, skip to the 7 minute mark if you just want to get straight to gameplay. I'd recommend skipping the first 4 minutes if your planning on getting the game already, because the opening cinema is pretty special and I'm a little disappointed I ruined it for myself.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 25, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Pulled the trigger on a preorder, $30 didn't seem too bad at all.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Platypus Farm posted:

I can't help but feel like stuff like this takes what was a light hearted, silly ninja game, and makes it into a game that very pointlessly tries really hard to shock people.

Oh, just like Saint's Row I guess.

edit: haha, that article even comes with "see if we give a gently caress, nerds" edge to it. Jesus.

I just wanted to add that since you probably don't own Saints Row IV, you won't even have to worry about the Big Edgy Dildo Bat being in your samurai shoot-em-up, so your complaint isn't even really valid. It's only for people that own both games.

Anyway, seeing the newest trailer has me actually interested in the game. I think before that I'd only seen the TotalBiscuit video and it didn't quite look all that fun, and there was a Giant Bomb video where they talked about how linear it is. My biggest complaint in modern shooters is that the level designs, no matter how open they look, send you down one set path and completely discourage exploration and secret hunting. It's just "walk down a hallway into an open arena, a bunch of cannon fodder spawns, now kill!". And then repeat for the whole game.

That's kind of why I gave up on Painkiller, and this is basically the same team... I want the game, still, but I'm thinking this is maybe a sale or Bundle purchase.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Wait wait, you gave up on Painkiller because it didn't have enough secrets for you to hunt? Every single level had like 17 random hidden things to find.

What is your definition of a non-linear shooter, then?

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
I would buy this based on nostalgia alone if they had hired the original voice actor. Lo Wang's one liners from the first game will be etched into my mind forever.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Galt is getting too old for this.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

My mind is boggling over how someone can say the original Shadow Warrior was nothing like Family Guy, and the new Shadow Warrior including a dildo bat is too much like Family Guy.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Funny, I don't recall Shadow Warrior Classic ever referring to an unrelated event with a random celebrity. :v:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Remember that time Lo Wang met Sailor Moon?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

Remember that time Lo Wang met Sailor Moon?

I do, she pulled an Uzi on me, so I blew her up with a sticky bomb. Seriously all the anime women in Shadow Warrior Classic are packing heat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Was on the fence about this one, looked cool enough but I didn't end up enjoying Return of the Triad as much as I'd hoped. Read the RPS review, that put me over. Went ahead and grabbed it while I could still get 15% off on steam. Here we go! :ninja:

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Does anyone get the difference between the melee steering modes? I just started downloading, but I saw in the preview there are a few options and I couldn't find what they actually change gameplaywise.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

This game owns so far, but how the hell are you meant to get high combat scores?

I love all the secrets I've found so far though, there are so many easter eggs.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I can't loving wait to play this. Probably going to have to wait until tomorrow night but I got hella beers and my body is fully ready.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

FirstPersonShitter posted:

This game owns so far, but how the hell are you meant to get high combat scores?

I love all the secrets I've found so far though, there are so many easter eggs.

Do the combat scores mean anything? I've used every weapon and trick I have, but at best I get three stars.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Some questions:

This game has a bunch of secrets and such, are you allowed to backtrack to look for them, or are you locked into area after area and can only go forward? This game has exclusively checkpoint-based saving, right? Does it have multiple checkpoints per level you can go back to, or just the latest one?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had a few reservations going in, considering the even dumber South Park jokes from the first Shadow Warrior. Thankfully, this game is all about slicing bad guys the gently caress up with your katana and it's well aware of the fact.

Games like this and Saint's Row 4 are why I love video games.

e:I also love how regenerating health is in this game, but it's totally optional if you like taping medpacks to your chest for survival. :3:

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 27, 2013

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

closeted republican posted:

Do the combat scores mean anything? I've used every weapon and trick I have, but at best I get three stars.

Higher scores means higher karma, which means more upgrades and easier high scores. I've yet to five-star any encounter but I've noticed pointlessly spamming roar/lift gets me 4 stars whereas murdering everything with spin usually gets me 3.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Some questions:

This game has a bunch of secrets and such, are you allowed to backtrack to look for them, or are you locked into area after area and can only go forward? This game has exclusively checkpoint-based saving, right? Does it have multiple checkpoints per level you can go back to, or just the latest one?

It seems like you can't backtrack through an entire level. I know there was at least one point in the first level where you go through a door and it closes behind you and you can't go back. I haven't played past the first level yet, so I don't know the extent of that.

As for saving you can manually save. It does autosave too, and I think it keeps the last 3 or 4 autosaves. I don't know specifically how many previous autosaves it holds on to, but I saw at least 3.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ludwig van Halen posted:

As for saving you can manually save. It does autosave too, and I think it keeps the last 3 or 4 autosaves. I don't know specifically how many previous autosaves it holds on to, but I saw at least 3.

Thank god. Rise of the triad doesn't allow quicksaves and you think "Oh how cool it's really loyal to the old days" and then it's the loving worse thing ever.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
So all of the weapons besides the sword just feel incredibly unsatisfying so far. One of the cool parts of the original was that you had a nuclear arsenal by the end of the first level. The money system for upgrades in this game just seems so against that spirit and at least so far (chapter 5) all of the guns feel weak. I don't even have a shotgun/riot gun yet. If I save up another thousand dollars I can finally dual wield my sub machine guns, which I'd be doing 2 minutes in to the original, tops.

Sword's cool though

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Some questions:

You can't backtrack, but transitions to a new area in the level are really obvious and everything is, obviously, very self-contained. It's not perfect, but so far I haven't been made to leave an area until I was sure I found all the secrets. Didn't keep me from missing 3 secrets on the opening level. :v:

e: Oh, looks like you can backtrack to some extent. There's definitely some locking doors that you can't go through again though.

Good Citizen posted:

So all of the weapons besides the sword just feel incredibly unsatisfying so far.
Sword's cool though

Cheat codes would be really nice. After I beat the game, I want to go through and blow the poo poo out of everything using whatever weapon I get 2 minutes before the final boss. I guess that's why trainers exist.

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 27, 2013

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

This seems a lot better than Hard Reset so far. God, I love games like this.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh hell. Is this another game with fun as heck levels and loving awful stupid boss fights? I just got to the first one and all of its attacks have massive aoe and the weakpoint doesn't stay exposed long enough for me to finish reloading from emptying all my guns exposing the weakpoint.

Please tell me I'm missing something that makes this not a chore. :smith:

e: yeah for the most part the weapons feel really weak but I just thought it was because the Insane difficulty, but that just makes this boss fight more annoying because my cool-rear end sword is completely useless. That said, the crossbow feels pretty strong when you get the charge-up upgrade. Also I'm getting more than enough money to pretty much buy whatever ugprades I want and I'm not even finding every secret!

Geight fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 27, 2013

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Ok, so I hate the way you use the ki attacks. Is there a way to remap them individually to my mouse? I have so many unused buttons on the thing seeing as there are two actual attacks. I'd love to be able to run around strafing and not have to stop to go backward or forward to cast a loving sword spell.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Just got through the first boss and yeahhhhh, I 'd have a hard time recommending this to anyone. It's funny because the one thing that really makes this feel like the original Shadow Warrior is the sense of missed opportunity.

Pros:
-Sword is fun
-A decent amount of easter eggs to find from the first game
-Less giant groups of hitscan enemies than the first game I guess?

Cons:
-Level design feels repetitive as hell. Lots and lots of very similar looking streets
-Weapons feel weak and lacking variety
-Boss fights are tedious
-Plot is dumb and predictable but not the fun kind of dumb/predictable that I hoped for

It just doesn't feel like Shadow Warrior. The original was just a silly racist caricature with lots of silly guns and catchphrases. None of that is here. It's just a mediocre B-grade shooter that distinguishes itself by having poo poo-tons of exploding environmental objects and a decently fun if not all that deep sword mechanic.

The good news is that it's kind of mindless fun if you don't think about it much and just want to run around swinging a sword at demons for a while. Probably not worth it at $40 but will be a pretty OK pickup when it goes on sale in 2 months for half that price. Until then go play Chivalry if you want to have some fun swinging swords around.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
It's fun chopping dudes apart with the sword like the previews suggested and the scoring system is hard to understand, thankfully it doesn't do anything as far as I can tell. Secrets are drat hard to find, I found about four in the first level and there were apparently eight.

You can put money into arcade machines to make them play music, I put a coin into a hotline miami machine and it played the song from the disco level!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Ludwig van Halen posted:

It seems like you can't backtrack through an entire level. I know there was at least one point in the first level where you go through a door and it closes behind you and you can't go back. I haven't played past the first level yet, so I don't know the extent of that.

On good, if there are manual saves, then I can probably handle occasional points of no return.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You people complaining clearly don't understand fun. I haven't had this much fun with a shooter since Painkiller first came out.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Good Citizen posted:

It just doesn't feel like Shadow Warrior. The original was just a silly racist caricature with lots of silly guns and catchphrases. None of that is here.

The silly racist caricature part was the main thing that put people off about the original game, so why is the fact that Lo Wang's just a nerd with a sword fetish in the remake a bad thing? Do we really want to go back to...

Low, low, low youah boat,
gentry down the st-leam!
Ooooh I think my dingy hanging out!

The unfunny racism of the original put a bad taste in most people's mouths. As if someone put pee-pee in their Coke.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
I'm on Chapter 7, playing on Hard, and I love this game! It reminds me of both Painkiller and Bulletstorm (more the former than the latter) and I'm definitely going to replay this for the high scores. The combat is just so satisfying! I'm frequently alternating between the firearms and the sword and I find both methods of play are equally enjoyable. This said, you really need the second PDW and the quadruple damage upgrade for the crossbow, otherwise you might just stick to the sword.
Just a note, I find the game to be on the easy side. I only died twice so far (both times because I backed into a group of enemies) so most of the challenge consists of trying to get 5/5 in combat encounters as opposed to not dying. If you play a lot of FPS games, starting on Insane might give you more of a challenge.

EDIT:

King Vidiot posted:

The silly racist caricature part was the main thing that put people off about the original game, so why is the fact that Lo Wang's just a nerd with a sword fetish in the remake a bad thing? Do we really want to go back to...

Low, low, low youah boat,
gentry down the st-leam!
Ooooh I think my dingy hanging out!

The unfunny racism of the original put a bad taste in most people's mouths. As if someone put pee-pee in their Coke.
Yeah, I really liked the arsenal and the level design of the original Shadow Warrior but not the casual racism and misogyny. Thankfully Flying Wild Hog got rid of the original's questionable baggage.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Fuzz posted:

You people complaining clearly don't understand fun. I haven't had this much fun with a shooter since Painkiller first came out.

I've been having a lot of fun until the first boss! Are you at that yet? Past it? Please help me get back to the fun.

e: An actual complaint I have with the game though which I mentioned in the Classic FPS thread is that I really hate your vision going greyscale when you're low on health, it does a disservice to the colorful levels and makes it harder to read enemies throwing ranged attacks when that's really important to see. I hate it even more now that I know there's a skill that boosts your damage when you're near death, so there's an actual incentive to being in the greyscale zone.

Geight fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Geight posted:

I've been having a lot of fun until the first boss! Are you at that yet? Past it? Please help me get back to the fun.

Do you have the crossbow's quad damage upgrade? If not, why?
Anyway:
Shoot the glowy bits while running on the outer ring of the arena. Note that pick-ups periodically spawn there (including health packs). Tap Shift to dash out of attacks if necessary. It's a pretty straightforward fight.

Kryopsis fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 27, 2013

• Locked thread