Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

tijag posted:

I imagine if they can't add all of the people at the $250 tiers, they'll put them all in a hat, and choose the correct amount that they can add in from random, so that your chance will be 1/x, where x is the sum of all the people at the $250 tiers.

There're 1000 or so at Grand King and above, and about 2000 at $250. Should be pretty quick, 3000 people isn't exactly a huge crowd for an online game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

New article up on the Alpha start process and keep names.

Gotta pick a suitably horrible, troll-tastic keep name! Hrm. . . Libertopia? Worker's Paradise?

I can't wait to play against top tier card players such as Buttmaster of Weedgoku.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

HiggsBoson81 posted:

There're 1000 or so at Grand King and above, and about 2000 at $250. Should be pretty quick, 3000 people isn't exactly a huge crowd for an online game.

I agree, as long as there isn't some kind of meltdown and the next wave isn't invited until weeks later or something. I'm super excited!

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

I just remembered Hex was a thing because I've been distracted by SolForge. Assuming I'm one of the Grand Kings who gets Alpha on the 8th, let's have a goon stream party on Twitch! :toot:

Seriously though who launches something on a Tuesday what an awkward day to do anything.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

My guess is they want to get everyone in by the weekend, not just the highest backers.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

rinski posted:

I just remembered Hex was a thing because I've been distracted by SolForge. Assuming I'm one of the Grand Kings who gets Alpha on the 8th, let's have a goon stream party on Twitch! :toot:

Seriously though who launches something on a Tuesday what an awkward day to do anything.

With Hex encouraging people making videos of matches during alpha, I'm curious if we could do some LP thread if special permission on the 3 month rule could be had. Streaming and such would be a lot of fun too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

rinski posted:

I'm already taking the day off work because of Republic of Thieves anyway! And I was foolish enough to pledge at Grand King, so with any luck next Tuesday will be an all-day orgy of nerdery delights!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

My usual username isn't Keep-worthy... :ohdear:

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

The keep name is what appears in chat, so I'm just naming myself rinski. That just means all my card knights are going to be "of rinski," like I'm a meta-being whose sentient components splinter off the main hive for deckventures.

vvv Edit vvv: would be down for that.

rinski fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 27, 2013

nerox
May 20, 2001

thiswayliesmadness posted:

With Hex encouraging people making videos of matches during alpha, I'm curious if we could do some LP thread if special permission on the 3 month rule could be had. Streaming and such would be a lot of fun too.

Forget an LP, we should have a launch day tournament where people construct decks having never seen half the cards. The one true grognard can emrge. :v:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

nerox posted:

Forget an LP, we should have a launch day tournament where people construct decks having never seen half the cards. The one true grognard can emrge. :v:

So, like, next summer?

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

An early alpha goon tournament sounds fun, if only to watch everyone's crazy homebrew decks before any kind of meta has formed.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

nerox posted:

If someone can slap together a Sealed Deck Generator we could do a sealed tournament like the old Magic Goon Leagues.

Those were pretty fun until someone hosed off with all the prizes!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

rinski posted:

The keep name is what appears in chat, so I'm just naming myself rinski. That just means all my card knights are going to be "of rinski," like I'm a meta-being whose sentient components splinter off the main hive for deckventures.

Yeah, my keep will be named King Burgundy if they allow spaces. That is certainly going to be weird.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, my keep will be named King Burgundy if they allow spaces. That is certainly going to be weird.

You could always name your champions as titles so your name works in a different way, like

Jester of King Burgundy
Butler of King Burgundy
Boytoy of King Burgundy

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I'd be down for a launch tournament, though I dunno exactly when I'll be in--I'm a Collector, not a Grand King.

Edit: Also, kind of an odd choice to tie your keep and your name together like that.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

A tournament on the launch day probably wouldn't be the best idea because the server will probably be going up and down and most people won't be in, but a tournament in the launch weekend sounds like a great idea. (This would also mitigate problems with time zones - I'm in the UK, for example...)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

LightReaper posted:

You could always name your champions as titles so your name works in a different way, like

Jester of King Burgundy
Butler of King Burgundy
Boytoy of King Burgundy

This is a hilarious idea that I will run with.

nerox
May 20, 2001

pumpinglemma posted:

A tournament on the launch day probably wouldn't be the best idea because the server will probably be going up and down and most people won't be in, but a tournament in the launch weekend sounds like a great idea. (This would also mitigate problems with time zones - I'm in the UK, for example...)

I guess I was thinking a tournament of decks made within a few hours of the full card set being known.

Maybe once the card set is in the wild, you have 6 hours to submit your deck, then we run the tourney on the first weekend?

But even if we just did the Tourney first weekend, no big meta would have formed and people would do some really gimmicky, unexpected decks.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm so fuckin' pumped, but also kind of relieved that the Alpha didn't come out sooner because it would have clashed with all the Theros pre-release / release stuff happening

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

rinski posted:

Tuesday is one of my days off. Don't ruin this for me, Rinski! I'm in at a Pro and a Grand King, so hopefully, I'll get a 1st wave invite.

As to a tournament, let's see how stable it is before we go crazy. It might be fun to put a goon league together a few weeks in though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm not sure how much I like the idea of the name of your castle being your username. I predict we'll have a ton of names that make no sense as the name of a keep and some other people who regret that the community addresses them as a building.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
It's different, that's for sure. Immersion ruined if we chat as the names of our keeps? How will I roleplay my dwarven card tinkerer now?! :negative: I do think I'll grow tired of the gimmick name combos after a few months though.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm not sure how much I like the idea of the name of your castle being your username. I predict we'll have a ton of names that make no sense as the name of a keep and some other people who regret that the community addresses them as a building.

Yeah, it's a bit odd to me too. I'll probably just be Karnegal there too for goon recognition, especially if I'm going to start an SA guild for us when it's implemented - Bask in my sweet XP bonus!

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
I don't think it is going to end up staying like this anyway.

Edit: Post from CZE guy on Hex forums.

Shaqattaq posted:

As far as keep/character names, clearly the community feels strongly about this and we'll be going through the different opinions, discussions on this throughout the weekend.

Niedar fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 28, 2013

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

From an official comment on the Kickstarter update, it seems there won't be a Mac version of the Alpha client available, at least at the beginning. Doesn't affect me, but could certainly interfere with some peoples' plans. Kind of unfortunate, since the very first lines of the Kickstarter call it a PC and Mac game.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I like the keep as username thing, but I hope we use something else for login credentials like our email address or whatev

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Grim posted:

I like the keep as username thing, but I hope we use something else for login credentials like our email address or whatev

It's weird to me because our identities in all of our interactions are going to be place names. It's like if my user name was Florida. That's just weird. I'd much rather have the user identity that I use everywhere and then a separate opportunity to name my place. Right now it's a choice between me sounding dumb or my keep sounding dumb.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

If having your home being part of your name is good enough for Ezio Auditore da Firenze it's good enough for the rest of you :colbert:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's a traditional way to refer to nobility. See for example http://www.royal.gov.uk/thecurrentroyalfamily/theroyalfamilyname/overview.aspx

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Sacrificial Toast posted:

From an official comment on the Kickstarter update, it seems there won't be a Mac version of the Alpha client available, at least at the beginning. Doesn't affect me, but could certainly interfere with some peoples' plans. Kind of unfortunate, since the very first lines of the Kickstarter call it a PC and Mac game.

As a Mac user this is worrying. Hopefully this is just a one-time thing and not the start of a trend where the Mac version lags behind the PC version. They should have mentioned it in the main update, rather than through comments, I'm sure there will be a lot of angry emails on October 8th when people are expecting to play the Alpha but can't.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vincent Valentine posted:

If having your home being part of your name is good enough for Ezio Auditore da Firenze it's good enough for the rest of you :colbert:

The thing is, as per their example, people would just be addressing him as "Firenze" when he's in a chat channel not associated with one of his heroes/champions.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Yeah, it's not that it's a part of your name, it's that it is your name. Your not Ezio Auditore de Firenze, you're just Firenze, playing Ezio Auditore.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

BenRGamer posted:

Yeah, it's not that it's a part of your name, it's that it is your name. Your not Ezio Auditore de Firenze, you're just Firenze, playing Ezio Auditore.

More specifically, all of your character's names are also "de Firenze." Sometimes you're playing Enzio Auditore of Firenze, sometimes you're playing SpockGobbler of Firenze, etc.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

More specifically, all of your character's names are also "de Firenze." Sometimes you're playing Enzio Auditore of Firenze, sometimes you're playing SpockGobbler of Firenze, etc.

Well, that's just the keep system, I don't particularly care about that, especially as character names are non-unique--I just don't like that the Keep Name is specifically tied to a chat handle, a good compromise I saw on the forums was just to make it [User Name]'s Keep rather than out and out [Keep Name].

Khorne
May 1, 2002

BenRGamer posted:

Well, that's just the keep system, I don't particularly care about that, especially as character names are non-unique--I just don't like that the Keep Name is specifically tied to a chat handle, a good compromise I saw on the forums was just to make it [User Name]'s Keep rather than out and out [Keep Name].
I'm hoping they ignore the suggestions and leave it as it is. It's a pretty neat idea that will work just fine in practice. People just aren't used to it. It's like a less terrible version of Diablo 3's battle tag and character name system.

edit: vv I am just going to use the same name as every game. Then have character names refer to it in some way. House of is fine too. That's how it will likely be treated whether they change it or not.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 28, 2013

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

^^^^: I was hoping the same thing, but looking over the forums and some of the comments here- it's not in the cards. :rimshot: Best we can probably go for is some of house blahblah tag seeing as everyone is up in arms about their immersion being broken with having to chat as a name of a place.

I think the best solution would be setting your keep lord's or lady's last name and use that as your chat nickname. Your characters take that name as a last name or maybe as a subtext line like 'of House Blazing Zero'. I wanted to see the gimmicks at least for a little while. Oh well. What I'm wondering is, when do we make our keep names whatever names permanent? Will there be some sort of reservation thingy? Start of beta perhaps?

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 28, 2013

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Blazing Zero posted:

^^^^: I was hoping the same thing, but looking over the forums and some of the comments here- it's not in the cards. :rimshot: Best we can probably go for is some of house blahblah tag seeing as everyone is up in arms about their immersion being broken with having to chat as a name of a place.

I think you're way over exaggerating the negative reaction, of the people in this thread at least. No one here is "up in arms" or bitching about their immersion. I just think it sounds awkward and probably won't work too well in practice. My guess is that 70% of the keeps will end up with names like Thedarkreaper or BigFred87.

But the official forums could be forming a lynch mob for all I know :v:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

The Moon Monster posted:

I think you're way over exaggerating the negative reaction, of the people in this thread at least. No one here is "up in arms" or bitching about their immersion. I just think it sounds awkward and probably won't work too well in practice. My guess is that 70% of the keeps will end up with names like Thedarkreaper or BigFred87.

Yeah, essentially I think the scheme is a bit dumb, and I'm just going to go with what what I want my username to be, which in my mind defeats the purpose of the naming scheme in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Blazing Zero posted:

It's mostly the official forums. 22 pages and counting with people really saying that their immersion will be broken by this. :psyduck: The masses really resist things that don't fit into neat boxes, even if we're breaking the TCG one wide open.

Of course people will use whatever name and their character names will be 'OrcMcSnottyButt of MoonMonster' and whatnot. Then again, isn't that a thing that happens in all MMO's? People name their dudes all sorts of ridiculous things and no one bats an eye. Disagreeing with this sort of thing because it will be awkward is thirty years too late, no? I suppose I just find it really silly in the context of pretend cardboard, fan-service anime furries coyotle, samurai murder rabbits and all the other crazy we have yet to see. Why not add talking houses on top of it? Is that just too far? Hahaha.

• Locked thread