Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Mantle sounds great for consoles where it just makes sense, and inadequately described for PCs where it does not make sense because of other bottlenecks they haven't really described how to overcome. Golden goose poo poo. Guess we'll see how it works in practice with Battlefield 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So yeah they're stalling until they release they confirm/deny the $600 price.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
$199 target pricing for a 270X is just about perfect since that'll mean I can get a good replacement with aftermarket cooling for this 6970 around $250. If the reference version works I may even be able to just reuse this Accelero cooler for a (theoretical) ~2x performance increase. :getin:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Agreed posted:

Mantle sounds great for consoles where it just makes sense, and inadequately described for PCs where it does not make sense because of other bottlenecks they haven't really described how to overcome. Golden goose poo poo. Guess we'll see how it works in practice with Battlefield 4.

But don't worry, Self, you'll learn more in November. Promise. No really. Alright get on outta here NDA time adios. :toot:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Wow that was... wow. So they basically just left things lying on the table, told everyone not to pay attention to them, and then peace-d out.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
What a wasted opportunity by AMD. So much time wasted on gameplay videos that had no wow factor and audio. To top it all off, they don't actually deliver pricing for the 290X, which was the main thing everyone was hoping to get out of this.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

LCD Deathpanel posted:

$199 target pricing for a 270X is just about perfect since that'll mean I can get a good replacement with aftermarket cooling for this 6970 around $250. If the reference version works I may even be able to just reuse this Accelero cooler for a (theoretical) ~2x performance increase. :getin:

I have a 1GB 6950 myself and while current games still look and run nice, they can stand to run better.

Now I just gotta keep myself from doing something dumb like buying the 290X when I use a 1080p display. But imagine how smooth Planetside 2 would run...

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Republicans posted:

But imagine how smooth Planetside 2 would run...

Or wouldn't, since it's hugely CPU-bound.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Gonkish posted:

Or wouldn't, since it's hugely CPU-bound.

But Gonkish, AMD has a means by which to reduce draw call overhead by up to 9X!*

*provided they are willing to rewrite their engine for this unexplained wrapper that currently one game on one engine is in process of implementing at some point in the future, possibly December

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Titan/780 reference cooler has left me so spoiled. The exterior of the reference 9970 looks like a piece of Fisher-Price crap in comparison.

Grand Moff Tarkin
Sep 25, 2004

Secretly, in dark places, where boys fear to tread, I<3 ShakeGate

Daeno posted:

Sorry for quality, taken from stream.

AMD's new line-up:

R7 250- 1GB GDDR5, < $89, > 2000 in 3DMark Firestrike

R7 260X - 2GB GDDR5, $139, > 3700 in Firestrike

R9 270X, 2GB GDDR5, $199, > 5500 Firestrike
- "Perfect for 1080p"

R9 280X - 3GB GDDR5, $299, > 6800 in Firestrike
- "Targeted at 1440p"

R9 290X - 4GB GDDR5, $???, > 8000? in Firestrike
- "Targeted at Ultra-HD (aka 4K res)"
- Supports AstoundSound, AMD's new integrated Surroundsound

I love the selective marketing here. Look at the asterisk in the lower left corner: "Performance preset"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't FireStrike its own preset with only two options FireStrike and FireStrike - Extreme? This is the beauty of 3DMark, the presets are simple to run and report. They could be rigging the settings to improve their scores/graph.

Also, why give us the price on everything except 290X?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Old GPU generations don't drop in price substantially after new generations are released, that's not how their marketing scheme works. Getting a 7950 for 180 dollars is a really good deal.

Ah, thanks. One thing I found out while researching today is that I was eligible for the 3-game Never Settle package with my 7950, but no one at Microcenter mentioned it to me and they have since run out of the free game vouchers. Is that 270X supposed to be positioned at the same tier as the 7950? If I could return this and get the 270X at NewEgg where they don't run out of vouchers, that changes the value proposition dramatically (especially since they allow hanging onto the voucher indefinitely to wait for new games to be offered).

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Agreed posted:

But Gonkish, AMD has a means by which to reduce draw call overhead by up to 9X!*

*provided they are willing to rewrite their engine for this unexplained wrapper that currently one game on one engine is in process of implementing at some point in the future, possibly December

This is the thing that is going to lead to Factory bashing his brains out on his keyboard, as people jump all over AMD processors for some nebulous "benefit" of which we know next to nothing. Well, that, and SteamOS.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Gonkish posted:

This is the thing that is going to lead to Factory bashing his brains out on his keyboard, as people jump all over AMD processors for some nebulous "benefit" of which we know next to nothing. Well, that, and SteamOS.

I've heard rumours that if you have both an AMD CPU and GPU both go into turbo fusion mode and increase in performance by 136%. :chord:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I heard rumors that if you plug a non-AMD video card into an AMD motherboard, it switches to a compatibility mode that slowly destroys the video card, but if it didn't it wouldn't work at all so really AMD worked really hard to give us that.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Factory Factory posted:

I heard rumors that if you plug a non-AMD video card into an AMD motherboard, it switches to a compatibility mode that slowly destroys the video card, but if it didn't it wouldn't work at all so really AMD worked really hard to give us that.

It's true, but then again, not much of an issue since no one uses AMD mobo/cpu anymore.

:iceburn: :ohsnap: :masterstroke: :chickenandwaffles:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

El Scotch posted:

I've heard rumours that if you have both an AMD CPU and GPU both go into turbo fusion mode and increase in performance by 136%. :chord:

Only AMD has Blast Audio Volcanic Processing with Astoundsound Liquid A.I.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
I am super excited that we might have binaural sound in games. Properly done it sounds incredible (literally!) and having a specialized programmable dsp is super cool.

Proper sound is arguably more important in games than a graphics boost, and I'm happy that amd has a real differentiator as opposed to MOAR CORES

I can also see an opencl backend on a dsp, that might be neat. Dsp programming is a fun thing, completely different than standard CPUs

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
I'm excited to see the market prices of these cards when they come out. I was, however, hoping for something a bit better from AMD in the mid-top end rangee (like 760-770 sort of range), rather than a rebadged 7970. I guess the price is pretty great, but unless I go to the 290x, I don't feel it's really worthwhile upgrading from my 7870Ghz at the present time, which is pretty annoying as I wanted to blow some cashola.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
It's hard to garner anything from AMD's given benchmarks. Is it likely I wasted money on the $135 2GB 7850 I bought a week and a half ago?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Someone should tell movax to update the OP since the GPU information is over a year old at this point

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Agreed posted:

But don't worry, Self, you'll learn more in November. Promise. No really. Alright get on outta here NDA time adios. :toot:

If the developer has low-level access on the PS4 and PC GPU hardware it might just lend itself to making PS4 or PC the targeted platform of choice.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

incoherent posted:

If the developer has low-level access on the PS4 and PC GPU hardware it might just lend itself to making PS4 or PC the targeted platform of choice.

The 9x speed-up in draw calls stated is one bigass :raise: from me given Microsoft's framework for handling draw calls and ... anyway, we'll see if they've got something nice and meaty in November. Right now I feel like they're taking advantage of the fact that they kinda have Microsoft in a bad position since they've already built the next console cycle totally around custom AMD silicon for everything and can't just say HEY WAITAMINUTE YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSEDTADOTHAT, but this is a statement without any more knowledge than, effectively, a soundbite.

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran
Hope this is the best place to ask:

I've just upgraded my desktop to an MSI Haswell motherboard with an ASUS 660ti card running Windows 8.1. I've got a watermark on my desktop saying 'SecureBoot isn't configured correctly' which appears to be because my video card isn't running a UEFI compatible BIOS, so these functions can't be enable in the MB BIOS.

The ASUS utility for updating the video card to a UEFI/GOP compatible BIOS only runs on ASUS motherboards (seriously?), so I'm unable to flash it that way, and the ASUS flash rom isn't obviously downloadable as a separate file.

Long story short: what's the best way to flash the 660ti to a UEFI/GOP compatible BIOS without using the ASUS utility? NVFLASH I guess? But do I need an ASUS specific BIOS or is there a generic one I should be using?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Enhanced game audio would be really sweet if it was anything like the vortex 3d audio cards way back when. I was so pissed off when creative bought them and pretty much killed the tech in favor of their own super lovely aureal canned audio effects thing. And of course the vortex cards stopped being supported and never got working Windows 2000 drivers.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I don't know if it's just 560 Ti chat, but I ran into a TDR recovery failure bugcheck (0x116) on 327.23. And the memory dump also pointed straight at nvlddmkm+14d6b4 (missing symbol; good luck getting those out of nVidia). So, you know, that's fun to have back.

And it gets worse: Windows Update now points at 327.23, instead of 311.06 - at least, on Windows 8.1 it does. It's no longer a recourse for TDR victims.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 27, 2013

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I don't know if it's just 560 Ti chat, but I ran into a TDR recovery failure bugcheck (0x116) on 327.23.
And it gets worse: Windows Update now points at 327.23, instead of 311.06 - at least, on Windows 8.1 it does. It's no longer a recourse for TDR victims.

Yeah, I know that the 560 Ti is ancient by :pcgaming: standards, but I'm really starting to hate NVIDIA's driver team's blatant disregard for 560 Ti owners.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

quote is not edit, damnit

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I get a pretty reliable TDR running Windows Experience Index now, which is pretty funny to me. Knockin' it OUTTA HERE, team Green!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

The scariest thing is that those drivers are WHQL Certified!

Where the hell did nVidia find something money can't buy? Or is Microsoft setting up a circuitous and public test case for decertifying a major driver?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I hope this is remembered when people say only nvidia makes good drivers. As well as the time when microsoft was testing vista, most crashes were nvidia drivers.

Everyone seems to gently caress up when making drivers now and then..

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Still fat, dumb and happy on 326.80 :shepface:

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I'm still on 314.xx for my 560ti.. One of my buddies crashed yesterday mid-game after a Windows Update. Now reading this thread, I'm worried it might try to point to any of the more recent versions I've tried to resolve the lockup issues.

This is a pretty big issue in my book, but I've had nothing but flawless performance in all my nVidia experience previous. Whereas the two ATI cards I had were memorable enough to continue to keep me away in spite of this issue.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The 560Ti was a bit of an odd card when it was launched, in terms of Fermi cards and game behavior. Right off the bat there were a few prominent games that had geometry and texture issues... I don't mean to be pessimistic but it seems like it could come to pass that they don't really ever resolve the issues with current unified drivers, given that they never really resolved the issues that 560Ti owners were experiencing generally in the first place. Claiming that anything from 320-on is WHQL for the 560Ti in particular is a bad joke, it seems like they're almost tacitly discontinuing support for it based on how they've handled it.

I get the sense that the driver team has their hands full at the moment trying to take care of some issues with post-320 changes just in general. I am not sure what I gained by moving to the current WHQL driver from the previous beta; the only noticeable difference is that it now driver crashes and recovers when Windows Experience Index runs. GTX 780, their flagship "this is specifically for gaming" card, not sure if the issue is system specific or broader.

I know they must be prepping a lot of stuff right now, though, given that PhysX 3.0 is in heavy development and they're working on the nVidia Experience stuff (shadowplay: still not out?). But this has been a fairly trainwreck driver release by any standards.

Neither company is GOOD at making drivers, they're basically a general "here's how to effectively communicate with this hardware" for the OS plus a shitload of engine and game specific hacks that make the hardware work best. My least favorite issues are "general stability" issues - though if I were an AMD user who was very prone to noticing microstutter I would probably consider that a top issue during that debacle. It's great that as far as I can tell, of the games I actually play, there don't appear to be any issues, but it's kind ridiculous that a WHQL certified driver is crashing out when Windows Experience Index runs. I wonder if that's an isolated issue or a more general one, though, I haven't done any poking around on forums to see if others are reporting similar issues, just kinda had it happen immediately after updating the drivers and thought "welp drivers loving up again dopey do" (since nothing else has changed).

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Can anyone explain to me how TrueAudio is supposed to work? I'm not too tech savvy, but the promise of better directional sound and the like has got me excited.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I really need some help here.. today, my computer wouldn't power on. I took out all the compononents and I've narrowed it down to this. My power supply will turn on if I unplug my 7950's power cables. With the video card plugged, it makes a little squeak and won't turn on. Is this a bad psu or a bad vid card? This computer is home built from a few months ago with a xfx pro550 watt and a sapphire 7950.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The scariest thing is that those drivers are WHQL Certified!

WHQL is a series of multiple API level calls and sequences that must occur with a specific, measured result. For instance, must be able to draw a triangle of a specific shape that when compared to a master triangle bitmap is a 100% match. There are also tests where the driver is fed junk, and must respond as sanely as possible.

These tests, and there are millions of them, are run within a QA farm nvidia has in house, and if it passes, they can sign the drivers using a microsoft issued certificate they have. WHQL has nothing to do with the reliability of any sort of hardware, just that the driver has to meet all the checkboxes (features and performance).

It's not a perfect system, but it's a million times better than what came before, which was nothing.

But yeah, nvidia has hosed up a bunch of recent stuff.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Also anyone noticed how huge the drivers are getting?
310.90 was around 170MB, 320.49 is 181MB and the latest whql driver of 327.23 is 193MB. Compare to something like 6MB for a 56.57 driver that I have in the same folder :psyduck: and all of them are the english version.

Compatibility is nice and all but seems like it's ballooning at a hilarious rate for the last few versions.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

It's basically a complete software/utility suite now; a lot of stuff is offloaded to the CPU so the GPU can do only GPU things and most CPUs have more than enough headroom (unless you're still running a Core 2 something).

Also it has HDMI audio drivers and 3D and PhysX abstraction layers included.

For the record: 326.41 .exe and 327.23 WU are both over 230 megabytes.

It could be worse: unlike printer drivers there's allegedly some minor utility from GPU drivers and packages of that size.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

It's basically a complete software/utility suite now; a lot of stuff is offloaded to the CPU so the GPU can do only GPU things and most CPUs have more than enough headroom (unless you're still running a Core 2 something).

Also it has HDMI audio drivers and 3D and PhysX abstraction layers included.

For the record: 326.41 .exe and 327.23 WU are both over 230 megabytes.

It could be worse: unlike printer drivers there's allegedly some minor utility from GPU drivers and packages of that size.

Exactly this - before, when Nvidia did their old "basic" drivers, they weren't including different video formats (HDMI/DisplayPort), didn't include audio for cards that support it over HDMI, didn't have a lot of features (if any) in their Control Panel, didn't have PhysX, didn't have SLI, among many, many other features that are now supported. A driver that just supports DVI and SVGA and has a basic Control Panel for adjusting graphic settings isn't comparable to any driver package currently, it's apples to oranges.