Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Soulex posted:

Just pointing out that Robin Williams has a daughter named Zelda. Who was named after the game.

That's cool since the game character was named after Zelda Fitzgerald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Although the corollary to this is the transvestite Birdo from SMB2:

(It's worth noting the original manual mixed up Birdo and Ostro's names.)
I might be talking out of my rear end but I could have sworn there was some lovely Mario-themed puzzle game in the SNES days where Birdo showed up with a "normal" girl's name. I want to say the name was Catherine.

Does anyone have any recollection of this or am I going insane?

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I might be talking out of my rear end but I could have sworn there was some lovely Mario-themed puzzle game in the SNES days where Birdo showed up with a "normal" girl's name. I want to say the name was Catherine.

Well you can't be talking about Wario's Woods because that game is loving AWESOME

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Soulex posted:

Just pointing out that Robin Williams has a daughter named Zelda. Who was named after the game.

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski

greatn posted:

It's funny how many people I knew when banjo kazooie came out who thought Kazooie was a boy despite, you know, her main ability being to lay eggs.

Yoshi??

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Catherine is her Japanese name.

:goonsay:

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Soulex posted:

While it's stupid that he named her after the game, at least it's an actual name.

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

I may have the opportunity to have my car airbrushed by a friend. With this in mind, please post your most favourite examples of airbrushed art so that I can give examples.

I'll start us off

And of course

For the record the car is a Peugeot 406 Estate.

The more wizards the better.

Gruffalo Soldier has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Sep 27, 2013

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Go into Trad Games and repeat your request in the pictures thread. I assure you you will get more and better responses.

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

That I will but I feel that I will get more anatomically questionable wizards here. Priorities and all that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That poor woman. :ohdear:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Obligatory

e: dagummit, I didn't see you there, 9gag watermark.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Soulex posted:

And Frank Zappa named his kids Moon Unit and Dweezil. This was before video games existed.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Is it Raiden from Mortal Kombat or Raiden from the Metal Gear franchise? This is important.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

greatn posted:

Majora was a mask with no particular gender I'm aware of.

Not to go all :spergin: but the Majora "creature" or whatever was definitely female.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

This is the only answer

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not to go all :spergin: but the Majora "creature" or whatever was definitely female.

To go all :spergin:, from the Zelda Wiki:
Majora's gender is unclear. Though its shrieks of pain in battle are high-pitched (though they sound the most feminine in its final form), it does appear as a child before the battle. The eyes on the mask part of Majora's Wrath could be seen as somewhat reminiscent of human breasts; its muscular structure, on the other hand, appears more masculine. As Majora's origin is never explained, and it may have begun as an inanimate mask, it may lack a gender entirely.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know what's worse...that name, or that I'm upset they used her title, not her actual name.

I think Daenerys would be slightly better, because at least the girl would have the option of going by Dany, not an entirely unheard of name for a girl.

Khaleesi could go by "Kelly".

Awesome Kristin posted:

Most of those are awful but there is one that stands out as just bizarre. Banjo (and Kazooie)... If we're going to go with Banjo then why not Ratchet? Donkey? Crash?

You didn't think "Bloodrayne" and "Alucard" stood out? At least "Banjo" just sounds like a nickname. Or you could lie and say you were named after Banjo Paterson.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

And Frank Zappa named his kids Moon Unit and Dweezil. This was before video games existed.

Are those names from some form of then-popular media?

I always thought he called them that just because he thought it was funny.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hydrolith posted:

Are those names from some form of then-popular media?

I always thought he called them that just because he thought it was funny.

"Dweezil" was the name Frank gave to his wife's toe, which had a funny bend to it. He liked the name enough to give it to his son.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

I may have the opportunity to have my car airbrushed by a friend. With this in mind, please post your most favourite examples of airbrushed art so that I can give examples.

I'll start us off

And of course

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

ya'll ready for the spinning class/ jesus rave?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tiggum posted:

You didn't think "Bloodrayne" and "Alucard" stood out?

If you got stuck named Alucard you could always spell it backwards to try and hide it.

She never even saw that steamroller coming :ohdear:.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Deteriorata posted:

Dweezil Zappa, Moon Unit Zappa, Diva Muffin Zappa, and Ahmet Emuukha Rodan Zappa are his kids.

"Dweezil's registered birth name was Ian Donald Calvin Euclid Zappa. The hospital at which he was born refused to register him under the name Dweezil, so Frank listed the names of several musician friends. "Dweezil" was a nickname coined by Frank for an oddly-curled pinky-toe of Gail's. At five years old, Dweezil learned that his legal name was different, and he insisted on having his nickname become his legal name. Gail and Frank hired an attorney and soon the name Dweezil was official."

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

Red Peugeot 406 Estate

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Bartie posted:

Why would you grow that on the forehead of all places?

Who nose? :shepface:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you got stuck named Alucard you could always spell it backwards to try and hide it.

I would murder my parents in cold blood if they named me dracula backwards.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Sdrawkcab seems like a pretty awesome name if you ask me. Besides I'd assume you'd still get the family last name, so no one would even know you had a silly middle name.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She never even saw that steamroller coming :ohdear:.

Yeah, I don't know if calling your kid Dracula is much better.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

hooah posted:

Does anyone have a link to the thread where that picture was discussed in detail? I remember laughing my rear end off while reading it, and I'd like to re-experience that (although pictures would probably be broken).

I'm almost positive it was in BYOB, so good luck!

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
That's in Singapore. When I first saw it, I just stared at it for about five seconds, trying to figure out what the hell was going on. There's also a building nearby that looks like a terrible 50s UFO prop, and another that looks like a giant durian. Singapore's waterfront is weird, man.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
His frontal rear end is distorting the reality.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I like to think he doesn't think he's fooling anyone he just wanted to play around with the morph tools and see what he'd look like all shouldered out. Hey look at me if I did shoulder exercises and drank my shoulder milk.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
New to Photoshop 2014: Synthol

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Sdrawkcab seems like a pretty awesome name if you ask me. Besides I'd assume you'd still get the family last name, so no one would even know you had a silly middle name.

What if they named you Acula and hoped you became a doctor?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

What if they named you Acula and hoped you became a doctor?
Navy people would wonder why you were named after the submarine class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

The TG picture thread came up trumps.

• Locked thread