Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Baby Sathanas posted:

Apoptygma Berzerk got announced for the upcoming Resistanz festival in Sheffield. And I know how much y'all love Apop. Hoping for a mostly old-Apop set. I doubt they'll disappoint, last time I saw them was in 2007 and they were boss.

Last time I saw Apop was in 2010, and it was a pretty even mix of old and new. You'll probably hear what you want to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Finally got to my hostel in Leipzig. gently caress you Deutsche Bahn, thanks for telling your customers about things

Nürnberg was pretty loving good. The concert, I mean, didn't get to see the city that much with my limited time.

Architect was alright. Interesting musically, but it's really not a very interesting thing to see live?

Ayria was great, just a good load of fun tracks delivered with a ton of energy. Might need to grab a CD or something tonight. (also holy poo poo dat keyboard player :swoon:)

Also: Project Pitchfork kicks rear end and loving hell is Spilles still an intense performer. New tracks are great live, and I love the fact that they played Acid Ocean (my favorite track off BLACK) and both Midnight Moob Misery AND Onyx. Also got to hear Fear, one of my all-time favorite pieces of music live for the first time :allears: Goooood poo poo

Just a couple hours for a second go. Interested to see how much Pitchfork are going to vary their setlist.

looking.glass.eyes
May 21, 2007

“The eye sees a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination awake.” -Leonardo da Vinci

mfny posted:

The new Kevorkian Death Cycle is definitely scratching my itch for "chuga chuga" guitar industrial stuff in a big way, not heard them prior to God Am I however but this is good stuff.

That's a good way of putting it, "chuga chuga". This is a bit different than their previous stuff but I like the direction they went. Collection for Injection was more abrasive, Skinny Puppy-ish industrial, and then Dark Skies (and A+0m to a lesser extent) was more EBM and dance-y.

'Static' off of Dark Skies has always been one of my favorites by them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N13b1UU05WU

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Ayria was great, just a good load of fun tracks delivered with a ton of energy. Might need to grab a CD or something tonight. (also holy poo poo dat keyboard player :swoon:)

Is Eric Gottesman still playing keyboards for them live? He was working the merch table at the Philly show before they went on, and it wasn't until after the show started that I realized that I was just chatting with the dude from Everything Goes Cold and Psyclon Nine. And I was sad that I missed a chance to be all "Holy crap dude, you're my ringtone!" :v:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
So what seperates this genre from other similar ones like Hardstyle or dnb?

Whats the actual appeal or key element of it

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Methanar posted:

Fashion. :xd: And usually (sometimes? often? depending on subgenre) 4/4 militaristic beats that are pronounced/not in the background.

teethgrinder posted:

I apologise, I have a tendency to use electro-industrial/futurepop/synthpop synonymously.
Likewise, I tend to call it all EBM unless it's cross genre (with ambient or idm). Synthpop that dresses gothy = EBM. Pet Shop Boys = proper synthpop. Gary Numan gets confusing ;)

But seriously, I'm happy over categorizing and discussing genres (if it helps tie new music genres into historical patterns usually), but electro-industrial has a history of fans that are "if it looks the part, I'll listen to it, even if it is basically trance or house or dnb in black."

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Methanar posted:

Intelligence? :v:

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Entropist posted:

Intelligence? :v:
No, that's IDM. :rimshot:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

looking.glass.eyes posted:

Is Eric Gottesman still playing keyboards for them live? He was working the merch table at the Philly show before they went on, and it wasn't until after the show started that I realized that I was just chatting with the dude from Everything Goes Cold and Psyclon Nine. And I was sad that I missed a chance to be all "Holy crap dude, you're my ringtone!" :v:

Noooo, they have a lovely lady with pink hair on the keys now. But enough about her, because I just came back from the show and let me tell you guys something about it

Architect was a lot better tonight than yesterday, probably because it was a home show for Myer. He seemed a lot more enthusiastic and just did more things on stage. Good stuff.

Ayria was even better tonight, so much fun. I had the opportunity to talk to the drummer (a really cool dude) and Jennifer for quite a long bit. She has to be like the nicest person ever, she stuck around to chat with me for like 15 minutes with a half-eaten hot dog in her hand before I finally realized I should let her go :allears: She is just the bestest and and you should talk with her should you get the chance :swoon:

Project Pitchfork was loving amazing, even better than yesterday. I guess the huge and extremely enthusiastic crowd played into that. In Nürnberg they played 20 tracks, here they played 23, including one favorite song of mine I didn't think would ever be played again (We Are One :holy:). I was too shy to chat with Spilles and frankly didn't want to bother him, but outside forces pressured me into taking a very embarrassing photo with him. So that's cool I guess

I'm currently sitting at the hostel and just met this slightly Deftone-ish band, Night Verses, from NY and California, who are on their first ever EU tour and also staying at this hostel. In my room there's also some goddamn hardcore old German geezer called Siegfried who'll be singing Carmina Burana at Leipzig's Gewandehaus on Sunday? What the hell is going on I can't even process this poo poo anymore

This trip has been worth every cent I've put into it and I've still got a couple of days left here in Leipzig.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Methanar posted:

I've written paragraphs and paragraphs trying to answer this and I can't.

Short answer: Industrial music is music for depressed and mopey nerds, goths and goths-adjacent, no matter what era it is, even though the style may evolve and change from noise to pop to dance to metal, and all combinations in between. It's always dark, often depressed, sometimes angry (but not like metal), sometimes poppy (but a little subdued), and often with a bit of an intellectual streak (though even that may not always apply).

The fact that there's music called industrial from past eras just makes it more likely that fans of current industrial music will check out and enjoy older industrial styles. For example, someone just discovering new industrial music today might be listening to something clubbier and dance oriented, but then will find out about 90's era KMFDM or Ministry and suddenly be turned on by distorted heavy metal guitars interacting with samplers and drum machines, or they might discover 80's era KMFDM or Ministry and find appeal in the 80s staccato dance/synthpop style, or they might have their mind blown by 80's era Einsturzende Neubauten and decide music's not industrial unless there's actual industrial machinery involved. Fans inclined to make their own industrial music often will turnaround and assimilate past styles with current styles when creating their own future style of industrial music - often someone will be motivated to make industrial music because they feel that a certain era or sub-strain of industrial music got it "right," and the current crop of prominent industrial acts have it all "wrong." There's always disputes about what style or combination of styles is "true industrial music," but the more you learn about industrial music and its almost 40 year history, the less inclined you are to argue about it.

Industrial music also tends to crib from the culture around it. Avant garde music from the 60s and 70s inspired the earliest industrial bands to make their own noisey music without the musical training and doctoral degrees, but then the synthpop and dance music of the 80s crept into industrial music, followed by the heavy metal of the 90s for a while there, and then the influence of new dance genres from breakbeat to trance to IDM to dubstep today.

So what separates industrial from Hardstyle and DnB? Industrial probably assimilated elements of both at one time or another and moved on, mixing it with avant garde, post punk, goth pop, coldwave, future pop, power noise, aggrotech, witch house and anything else in its path. What separates Hardstyle from DnB? Whatever it is, industrial doesn't know. It just keeps eating and absorbing; if it's dark, if it's alternative, if it's not country/western or polka or klezmer music, industrial will leech from it for a while, move on, and then go back to it later and pick at the scraps. All the while, everyone will be asking, "but is this *really* industrial music?"

Long answer: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0199832609/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=CV1APZK6IZXU&coliid=I165MBC7AI9XO

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Stop whatever idiot nonsense you're doing right now and brew some tea or warm your bong and get ready for the next hour of your life:

CORVUS CORAX und WADOKYO - Wacken Open Air 2013 Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsBC0AO_zWg

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
^ Woah that's like some serious Conan the Barbarian music.

Methanar posted:

The key elements have been answered better than I could, but appeal is going to vary between individuals.

I think "depressed and mopey nerds" fits for me. I think it's also the ying to my musical yang. The two genres of music I listen to the most is (on one side) the industrial music spectrum, and (on the other side) a lot of pop, dance and house music, particularly with a gay club or circuit party bent like Max Graham, Offer Nissim, etc. I've been listening to a lot of Italo-Disco. Barbra Streisand dance remixes and poo poo like that. I tend to oscillate back and forth.

I would say the common themes that cross these boundaries are: celebration of artifice (what could be more artificial than industrial?); a sense of camp and performance; high drama; repetition; etc. But the darkness of industrial contrasts with the optimism of a lot of pop music. I want music and art that's extreme, foreign and alien sounding. I hate a lot of music that tries to be "authentic" like folk music, "singer-songwriter" tunes or a lot of indie rock. Hell for me would be a Bruce Springsteen concert.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 29, 2013

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Omi-Polari posted:

want music and art that's extreme, foreign and alien sounding. I hate a lot of music that tries to be "authentic" like folk music, "singer-songwriter" tunes or a lot of indie rock. Hell for me would be a Bruce Springsteen concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5wJQkvSoOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU5MyNuBdhg

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Is this book any good?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Is this book any good?

I enjoyed it. It does kind of get less focused and less comprehensive as time goes on, but what can you really ask for?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Is this book any good?

Never read it, it's sitting on my wish list. Some day.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

boo_radley posted:

Stop whatever idiot nonsense you're doing right now and brew some tea or warm your bong and get ready for the next hour of your life:

CORVUS CORAX und WADOKYO - Wacken Open Air 2013 Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsBC0AO_zWg

Dothraki cosplay?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Is this book any good?

I think it's the best thing written on the subject since the old re/search book.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Industrial music makes me feel the opposite of depressed. Anytime I feel down I just put something particularly noisy on, crank it up and I feel super happy again immediately. I feel like I can do anything when I'm listening.

I don't think I'm a particularly depressed or unhappy person either. The genre just affects me at a very fundamental level and makes me feel great, like no other type of music ever has.

Nerd is right though.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Yeah, this article is pretty spot on for me too: http://m.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/09/finding-happiness-in-angry-music/279341/ (Finding Happiness in Angry Music)

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Baby Sathanas posted:

Industrial music makes me feel the opposite of depressed. Anytime I feel down I just put something particularly noisy on, crank it up and I feel super happy again immediately. I feel like I can do anything when I'm listening.

I don't think I'm a particularly depressed or unhappy person either. The genre just affects me at a very fundamental level and makes me feel great, like no other type of music ever has.

Nerd is right though.

Yeah, industrial/EBM always cheers me up. I also really like it when I'm focusing on something nerdy like a building design project for school, I just get zoned out and warm fuzzy inside.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
To me it's like, I like whatever kind of music sounds the way it does in my head, if that's not completely insane and makes any kind of sense. So there's a variety of styles that I like depending on how I'm feeling. Industrial tends to hit a lot of those feelings, which is probably in part because it's such a varied genre that there's nearly always something appropriate.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!
Just finished my first music video since signing on with a label. Let me know what you guys think. I dropped the growly Ogre style vocals and just went with my natural voice. Huge move for me to step out of my comfort shell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXFjzr30Vfk

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Voice sounds great dude. Good job!

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Voice sounds great dude. Good job!

I appreciate it. It took a long time to overcome the self doubt I had about my voice.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

quote:

gently caress me gently caress you, gently caress you! gently caress me gently caress you, gently caress you! gently caress me gently caress you, gently caress you! gently caress me gently caress you, gently caress you! gently caress me gently caress you, gently caress you! gently caress me gently caress you, gently caress you! "gently caress with me? I'll show you who you're loving with!" gently caress me gently caress you, gently caress you! gently caress me gently caress you, gently caress you!

Got my Dos Dedos Mis Amigos/A Lick of the Old Cassette Box today :)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is the unreleased album any good?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've only had one listen, not enough to associate any song names.

It's a mixed bag of stuff. A couple of tracks could have potentially made an album but probably not as singles. Some is high-quality, but nothing great, and then there's some pretty rough demo stuff. It's INTERESTING for sure, and really the album is probably worth a purchase just for the Dos Dedos remaster. As well, the liner notes by Adam Mole are wonderful ... unfortunately it's marked as part six of six ... I think I have the Box Frenzy remaster, but now kind of want to grab the rest...

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Konstruct posted:

Just finished my first music video since signing on with a label. Let me know what you guys think. I dropped the growly Ogre style vocals and just went with my natural voice. Huge move for me to step out of my comfort shell.

I like the vocals a lot, the video was a bit repetitive though.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

teethgrinder posted:

I've only had one listen, not enough to associate any song names.

It's a mixed bag of stuff. A couple of tracks could have potentially made an album but probably not as singles. Some is high-quality, but nothing great, and then there's some pretty rough demo stuff. It's INTERESTING for sure, and really the album is probably worth a purchase just for the Dos Dedos remaster. As well, the liner notes by Adam Mole are wonderful ... unfortunately it's marked as part six of six ... I think I have the Box Frenzy remaster, but now kind of want to grab the rest...

I was hoping it would have been closer to an actual album rather than rough demos. :sigh: I already have Dos Dedos and most of the bonus tracks so it's kind hard to justify the cost/backorder wait of importing right now. Crabb did a vlog about his role in Primitive Race.

Atari Teenage Riot just released a teaser trailer for a new album and tour dates. Rowdy Superstar joined after CX Kidtronik left to release Krak Attack 2.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Sloppy posted:

I like the vocals a lot, the video was a bit repetitive though.

I can definitely see how the video could be seen as repetitive. I'll try harder for my next one. Thanks for the kind words regarding the vocals.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I'd never heard of these guys until I saw Imperative Reaction posting about them on Facebook, I definitely dig it though. It reminds me of early NIN in some way I can't quite put my finger on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmwNwrXvFzc

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Konstruct posted:

I think your vocals are lovely. And you make eyeliner look awesome.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Konstruct posted:

Jumping on the "this is great, way to go" bandwagon here.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Sloppy posted:

I'd never heard of these guys until I saw Imperative Reaction posting about them on Facebook, I definitely dig it though. It reminds me of early NIN in some way I can't quite put my finger on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmwNwrXvFzc

I've been waiting for them to actually release a album after hearing their track with Davey Havok. Still waiting. Unless I'm an idiot, but I can't find anything anywhere.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Ms. Happiness posted:

I think your vocals are lovely. And you make eyeliner look awesome.

Thank you. Years of practice with goth/industrial clubs

Pope Guilty posted:

Jumping on the "this is great, way to go" bandwagon here.

:hfive: Thank you!

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

somethingwicked posted:

I've been waiting for them to actually release a album after hearing their track with Davey Havok. Still waiting. Unless I'm an idiot, but I can't find anything anywhere.
This reminded me that Blaqk Audio exists, and I just found out they released another album last year. Sample here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsoECZzVvu8. It's pretty decent.

I also did not recognize Davey Havok with his new look:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I haven't seen Davey Havok since he was trying to look like Danzig.

...Jesus, that's been a bit.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Konstruct posted:

Thank you. Years of practice with goth/industrial clubs

Ya man well done. I remember the album you posted on SA before.. ya the vocals def got an upgrade.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

The Cleaner posted:

Ya man well done. I remember the album you posted on SA before.. ya the vocals def got an upgrade.

I appreciate the kind words. Oh and gently caress you for making Conopoly. That album was so good I couldn't stop listening to it for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I love this thread you guys.