Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I recognise those demon portraits and that protestant King James fundamentalism!

(It's Jack Chick, foo')

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Thanks to colonialism, plenty of South Australian buildings are political enough for this thread. For example, see that white angular building in the bottom centre of this picture?

That's built on the site of an Indigenous sacred site and meeting place called Tarnda Kanya (kangaroo rock) or Tarndanyangga ("ngga" is a suffix that means "location" and the "k" is dropped when words are joined together in the Kaurna language.

Tarnda Kanya was a large cream-coloured rock formation in the shape of a kangaroo. No one knows exactly what it looked like because it was quarried almost immediately after the British province of South Australia was founded. Its cream-coloured stone was used to build these two buildings:

Old Parliament House

Holy Trinity Church

So yeah, it would be pretty lovely to have some random white people build a city on your ancestral home.

There's some public art on the Tarnda Kanya site now called "Kaurna meyunna, Kaurna yerta tampendi" (Recognising Kaurna people and Kaurna land).

quote:

This significant artwork, which acknowledges the Kaurna people as the traditional owners and custodians of the Adelaide area, is the work of Kaurna descendant Eileen Karpany with Darren Siwes and Tony Rosella. The simple sculptural forms represent the historical legacy and cultural heritage of the Kaurna people since 1800. This installation was initiated and part funded by the Graham F Smith Peace Trust Inc as their contribution to the reconciliation process. (Graham F Smith was a secondary society and environment teacher, interested in peace and justice issues.)
Principal features of the sculpture are:
• Tarnda Kanya (Red Kangaroo Rock) represented as a sculptured sandstone form. The cut edge represents the quarry and the precise gridlines indicate the destruction of the natural forms of Kaurna land and culture by the colonists;
• Ngangkiparringga (Onkaparinga), women’s river symbolised as a coolamon, a Kaurna woman’s large dish or bowl;
• Tjilbruke (The Ibis Man) represented by a spiral shape that symbolises the fresh water springs and journey of Tjilbruke;
• Yurridla (Place of ears - Dreaming story of the Mount Lofty Ranges). The Dreaming of Ngarno is depicted as a sandstone sculpture symbolising the two ears of the giant Ngarno (Mt Lofty and Mt Bonython);
• Kaurna Cosmology – The large circular area in the centre of this artwork represents the cosmic landscape through a depiction of the great sky river Wodliparri (Milky Way) and the Yurakauwe (lagoon of the giant serpent Yura). The artwork symbolises Kaurna connections between the skyworld and terrestrial plain;
• Disc 1: Tradition
• Disc 2: Language
• Disc 3: Land and Family Structure
• Disc 4: Marriage
• Disc 5: Piltawodli and dispossession of land
• Disc 6: Seasons

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Volcott posted:

I have absolutely no idea where this is from.

Still, lust demons. Who's patient zero in this scenario? Who was the gay Prometheus?

Looks like a Chick tract.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Volcott posted:

I have absolutely no idea where this is from.

Still, lust demons. Who's patient zero in this scenario? Who was the gay Prometheus?

Cain. It's the curse of Cain.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

It really isn't complete without the sound effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf-xePlM-zg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Jack Chick. But just as a reminder, you can be on either side of the nature/nurture debate and still be a complete loving poo poo.

quote:

Throughout the 80s the Daily Mail actively supported section 28 – the law banning any mention of homosexuality in schools – while, more specifically, on 16 July 1993, it ran the jubilant headline "Abortion hope after 'gay genes' findings".

Daily Mail founder Lord Rothermere showing us in what instances :godwin: is correct and proper to use.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

For the Cure™, guys!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
You mean I can change the world and satisfy my craven consumerist desires at the same time? :monocle:

No. :ssh:

Everyone should watch this documentary: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-century-of-the-self/
The Century of the Self
"This series is about how those in power have used Freud's theories to try and control the dangerous crowd in an age of mass democracy."

The third or fourth episode deals specifically with how the radical movements of the 1960s were usurped by the consumerist, "buy the life you want to live" trends of today.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I think this hasn't been posted yet. It's pretty good.

It's Your Fault
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hC0Ng_ajpY

quote:

Every sexual assault case in India inspires a string of stupid and hateful remarks against women. This is our response to those remarks.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QPZfcYTUaA

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

For the Cure™, guys!

It's hilarious (and by hilarious I mean "obnoxious") how just about everything now seems to tie itself to charity (pinkwashing was just a proof-of-concept, it seems) to boost sales. It's such a joke. The best part is that it actually decreases real donation to charity http://philanthropy.com/blogs/prospecting/buying-products-tied-to-charities-depresses-giving-new-study-finds/29534

Stanislav Petrov getting a trophy for saving the world.

TheSkeletonMan
Feb 24, 2011

The float, called "Biggles to the Rescue", featured three parts, a suspended aeroplane being chased by a tank with the unborn baby in the hands on a trailer behind.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The last face-to-face meeting of the Iranian and US heads of state.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Looks like the gay pasta war is boiling over.

You may have heard about the CEO of Barilla pasta company's recent homophobic comments and his even more recent non apology apology.

Looks like the competition is seizing the opportunity, bless 'em:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Svaha posted:

Looks like the gay pasta war is boiling over.

You may have heard about the CEO of Barilla pasta company's recent homophobic comments and his even more recent non apology apology.

Looks like the competition is seizing the opportunity, bless 'em:

That is the most adorable thing.

I'm a bit late on buildingchat but here's the Manitoba Legistlative building, taken on my phone as I walk home from work, about ten after 7 in the morning.

That big dome is all copper, they had it replated a few years back and it was really gorgeous then, all shiny. It's dulled down since but it hasn't gone back to green yet. At the very top there is the Golden Boy.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Old news, but funny.

Chuck Schumer on Tide Detergent Pods:

Chuck Schumer posted:

"These pods were supposed to make household chores easier, not tempt our children to swallow harmful chemicals. I saw one on my staffer’s desk and I wanted to eat it. I don’t know why they make them look so delicious.”

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Auxiliary Territorial Service 2nd Subaltern Elizabeth Windsor (Currently Liz 2: Regal Boogaloo), 1944

Meanwhile elsewhere that year,

Concert held at the Royal Albert Hall to mark the 26th anniversary of the Red Army.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Edit for content:

'Totally not a Nazi you guys' Nikos Michaloliakos is the first head of a Greek party to be arrested since 1974, alongside three other MPs, on charges of forming a criminal organisation.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 28, 2013

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Yep, that sure is a political picture.

In other news -

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

First confirmed cases of Krokodil usage in America. Congrats on that guys.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Probably not going to be a big problem since you can't really get codeine OTC here like you can in a lot of countries.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Volcott posted:

In other news -

"I was going to make some kind of clever metallurgical analogy, because industrial metaphors are like catnip to fascists, but then I realised that I couldn't think of any alloys that are worse than their constituents and uh, yeah :blush:"

click for big

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Joementum posted:

The last face-to-face meeting of the Iranian and US heads of state.

A Rouhani AMA would be massive.

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Editorial Board:

quote:

Just once we’d like to know how it feels to be a Republican extremist in the second decade of the 21st century. Just for a day.
It must feel good to be so sure of things, to be so certain in our beliefs that we can ignore data from science, economics and history, to say nothing of religious teachings. It must be great to be free of doubt.
[...]
Even better than cutting food stamps from these wastrels would be the knowledge that you preserved subsidies for big agriculture in the process. How freeing it must be to be Rep. Vicki Hartzler, R-Harrisonville, and preserve farm subsidies for her family while taking food from the poor people of her district. It’s not that we oppose government handouts; it’s that we want the Right People to get them. Makers, not takers. Job-creators. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FrozenShellfish
Aug 30, 2004

smash the state by vandalising charity donation points

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Krokodil has a certain degree of infamy already because it can eat your flesh to the bone. :nws:

Unrelated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuF03PTNpp8

Emden
Oct 5, 2012

by angerbeet

FrozenShellfish posted:

smash the state by vandalising charity donation points

smash the state by smashing windows

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Emden posted:

smash the state by smashing windows

Starbucks are hated in the UK, first time in 9 years they've paid tax because across the course of 14 years they only paid £8.6 million. Which is less than 1% in corporation tax (they made over £3 billion).

Pretty much they paid loan payments to US Starbucks at Libor, "royalties and license fees" to their starbucks in Netherlands, and Global coffee buying ops are in Switzerland . UK Starbucks effectively pays for this 'service;, lowering the taxable income even more. So doing all that they ended up paying 0% corporation tax.
:suicide:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 28, 2013

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So scientist have built a laser rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3YCACZQ72Q

Its barrel is not rifled, and technically is is more of a remote cutting instrument, but between the way you hold it and its trigger, I'm calling it good enough.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
I suspect this fireman may have an agenda.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Rand Corporation paper on the possible causes and consequences of the collapse of the DPRK government.

It's pretty good and worth a read.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Rhandhali posted:

Probably not going to be a big problem since you can't really get codeine OTC here like you can in a lot of countries.

Huh, like, in enough quantities to make krokodil? After all, one of the finest modern American inventions is codeine based:

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Krokodil has a certain degree of infamy already because it can eat your flesh to the bone. :nws:

Unrelated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuF03PTNpp8
Only reason I pointed it out is that this stuff is usually only used by the most desperate of junkies exactly because krokodil is literally like liquid leprosy.

Best post a pic too brah.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

I could actually post a picture of a political building, but there's boring trolling and then there is just being boring.

Parents blame K-2 in Son's Death

I'm kind of confused how they skip over methadone addiction and blame K-2 but maybe more details will be known when they ban K-2 in my county next week.

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

Fluo posted:

Starbucks are hated in the UK, first time in 9 years they've paid tax because across the course of 14 years they only paid £8.6 million. Which is less than 1% in corporation tax (they made over £3 billion).

Pretty much they paid loan payments to US Starbucks at Libor, "royalties and license fees" to their starbucks in Netherlands, and Global coffee buying ops are in Switzerland . UK Starbucks effectively pays for this 'service;, lowering the taxable income even more. So doing all that they ended up paying 0% corporation tax.
:suicide:

Amateurs

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Kegluneq posted:

Edit for content:

'Totally not a Nazi you guys' Nikos Michaloliakos is the first head of a Greek party to be arrested since 1974, alongside three other MPs, on charges of forming a criminal organisation.

I have been staring at that face for five minutes now, what an expression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Huh, like, in enough quantities to make krokodil? After all, one of the finest modern American inventions is codeine based:

Cool image from racists. You don't make purple drank or sizzurp with Skittles or watermelon-flavored Arizona Iced Tea. You use Jolly Ranchers, because they dissolve fully, unlike Skittles, and you use Sprite because it's carbonated, unlike iced tea.

The only reason that image has Skittles and Arizona Iced Tea is because that's what Trayvon Martin had on him when he died, and racists want to make people think that he bought those to do drugs.

XyloJW fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 28, 2013

• Locked thread