Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Basically, the combination of high alpha, high range, and high projectile speeds means there's little room for counterplay against Kadur weapons. You have very little ability to respond to incoming damage because it comes in one huge lump, high projectile speeds means very little room for avoidance or reaction, and ridiculous ranges with good turning speeds means there's no way to work around them.

The Twin Railguns are too good because they're basically a Heavy Mauler (quite possible the best Medium Ballistic weapon in the game) with a faster projectile speed, more alpha, and more range, but the other ballistics are also over the top. Kadur large mounts are particularly egregious. For the same OP cost as a Gauss Cannon, for example, you get 50% more range and almost double the burst damage with better flux efficiency. The small mount Railgun with 1200 range is pretty nuts, and VLRMS-2s provide a lot of utility for small slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Everything in the gif except for the Lasher is from my mod.

Why is every single gif we have of this game so far about some poor frigate getting hypermurdered? :smith:

Now make it a Hyperion and we'll be set. :thumbsup:

Frigates in the path of Capital Ship firepower have a lifespan measured in .gif size. I believe that is "working as intended."

Btw, this game is awesome and more people should play it.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
This game looks awesome. Might get it today.

Quick question, is there a "Gothic Space Marine" mod in the works?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

FooF posted:

Now make it a Hyperion and we'll be set. :thumbsup:

Frigates in the path of Capital Ship firepower have a lifespan measured in .gif size. I believe that is "working as intended."

Btw, this game is awesome and more people should play it.

Here's a Hyperion showcasing the AMAZING correlation between wallet size and brains for Tri-Tachyon junior officers

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Here's a Hyperion showcasing the AMAZING correlation between wallet size and brains for Tri-Tachyon junior officers

The best post.

Looking forward to seeing Blackrock work with 0.6a. I've enjoyed what little I've seen of it (before the game crashes randomly).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Recently picked up the game and it is fun, but I'm not sure exactly what to do. I haven't left the starter solar system so maybe that's why. I bought a cruiser but now I feel almost to slow to catch up with smaller pirate fleets. Is the game pretty bare bones or am I just not exploring enough? Do I need mods for content?

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
Since it's still in alpha, there's only two solar systems. You basically run around until you're big enough to take on the hegemony fleets and then that's it.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
So I just got the game. What do I download to make it like a single player campaign where I amass wealth and upgrade my ships?

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
You're fully capable of doing that in vanilla, and since the game was very recently updated, people are bringing their mods up-to-date with the current patch version. Lots of mods are coming online, including some made by people on this forum. User SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND is getting one of his ready to go (a couple posts up) and The Good Professor also has one done. If you just want to get big and blow things up, though, for your first time vanilla is fine.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

unpurposed posted:

Quick question, is there a "Gothic Space Marine" mod in the works?

There is a Battlefleet Gothic mod, although it isn't complete or updated for v0.6a.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=5539.225

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Does anyone have contenders for best-balanced mods? Because as fun as Pulsar lasers, double railguns, and whatever dumb gimmick of choice you find on a Neutrino Corp ship are, they get boring after a while, and playing against them is downright unfun. I've noticed, between Neutrino and Gedune, Corvus is almost entirely devoid of pirate life because of how easily they wipe the floor with them.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'd love a mod that made the pirates better and with more kit-bashed or modified freighter classes and stuff - would be neat.

I'm jealous of you guys who are able to do such neat pixel art. :(

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Milky Moor posted:

I'd love a mod that made the pirates better and with more kit-bashed or modified freighter classes and stuff - would be neat.

I'm jealous of you guys who are able to do such neat pixel art. :(

I don't know if its been updated, but there's a non-faction specific mod called Starfarer (maybe sector now) plus. Or maybe starsector expanded? I forget, it it included a kit bashed pirate battleship called the parrot and larger pirate battle fleets.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Protagorean posted:

Does anyone have contenders for best-balanced mods? Because as fun as Pulsar lasers, double railguns, and whatever dumb gimmick of choice you find on a Neutrino Corp ship are, they get boring after a while, and playing against them is downright unfun. I've noticed, between Neutrino and Gedune, Corvus is almost entirely devoid of pirate life because of how easily they wipe the floor with them.

At present, I think the Junk Pirates and Shadowyards Heavy Industries are the most balanced mods out. Blackrock Driveyards will join them once SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND releases his 0.6a update.

The Gedune are pretty close, and I'm striving for good balance with the Kadur Theocracy but as you can see from the feedback in this thread, I'm not there yet. Neutrino Corporation isn't really trying for balance to a vanilla standard at all in my opinion.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
For those asking about 'best mods' or creating a more 'complete' experience as said most modders are still updating to 0.6a, but once they're up to date the go to mod for a lot of players is Uomoz's Corvus. (I think it may have been renamed to Uomoz's Sector: Journey)

It has been mentioned before but he basically takes all the best faction mods and merges them all together into one seamless experience and keeps everything balanced. The guy is very strict and only lets high quality and balanced ships/weapons into the collection. On the previous release Blackrock Driveyards was included (By our own SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND) so you know it's quality. :smug:

Below is taken from the OP on the Starsector forums and his most recent posts in the thread. It seems he's finished the groundwork to implement the new faction system and is busy adding the factions now.

quote:

The selected factions, placed in a vanilla Sector (vanilla systems + modded systems) .
Choose your Faction at character creation.
Random Events to spice up the Sector.
Play Hardcore, solo versus everyone!

No new factions or systems atm.

- Added Attitudes and Skills to all fleets. Their name now show a symbol representing the skill level of the Admiral.
- Traders now pick trade destinations and go back and forth friendly stations. Added a lot of them for pirate players.
- Mercs grab jobs and help patrol systems with friendly stations.
- Miners go and mine asteroids (defenseless when mining for a few days).

It's still currently in DEV mode for modders to sort their business out but I'm sure many are keeping their eyes open for the first official release. It's likely to be the most stable and complete Starsector experience you can have.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I don't pretend to know anything about this game.. but is there anyway to gain power without killing pirate ships? How do factions work? What are the big freighters for? Everytime I buy something to sell in another system it just sells for less. Is this game nothing more than shooting some ships to get a bigger ship?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

forge posted:

Is this game nothing more than shooting some ships to get a bigger ship?

It is nothing less.

Yeah it's basically just shootspaceships at the moment because the faction/trade/running-and-defending-an-outpost bit isn't done yet. This is because the game's in alpha. It's still really fun though.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

forge posted:

Is this game nothing more than shooting some ships to get a bigger ship?

You make it sound like a bad thing. :colbert:

The developer has literally made a very robust space combat simulator for over a year. Now that he's largely satisfied with it as a single component he's building the rest of the game around it which began with the creation of the campaign over world but is now starting to see some major developments with multiple star systems/logistics/skills.

Trading is non existent at the moment, you can't make a profit from buy/sell since there is no economy. Don't worry it's all coming and already has the Industry skill tree for what will become trade/production/mining but it doesn't exist right now.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
So I bought the pre-order a couple years back and it seems like the alpha download on their website for 0.6aRC4 is the same as the one I get when I click my pre-order link in the original email they sent me with my key.

Any ideas? Are they the same right now?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TSBX posted:

So I bought the pre-order a couple years back and it seems like the alpha download on their website for 0.6aRC4 is the same as the one I get when I click my pre-order link in the original email they sent me with my key.

Any ideas? Are they the same right now?

Is this a problem? 0.6 is the current release, sounds like the email link points at something that always contains the latest release. Are you trying to get an older version?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Popete posted:

Recently picked up the game and it is fun, but I'm not sure exactly what to do. I haven't left the starter solar system so maybe that's why.

Pet peeve of mine, but there's only one Solar system in the Universe. There are plenty of planetary systems, but there's only one Sol, namely our star, the Sun.

I'm really looking forward to what he'll do with the industry skill tab, but I'm fearing that he'll eventually turn Starsector into a full-blown, top-view X4 game and utterly dominate my spare time.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 28, 2013

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

Arrath posted:

Is this a problem? 0.6 is the current release, sounds like the email link points at something that always contains the latest release. Are you trying to get an older version?

My point was that the download version is the same whether you preordered or not. I was hoping we would get faster access to updates for buying early. I guess my question should have been: Other than the final version, are there any other benefits to preordering? On the download page they mention an activation code, which I have, but there's really nowhere to put it.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

People who haven't bought the game don't have access to it. If I recall, the code gets entered once the first time you install the game, and you don't ever worry about it again.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TSBX posted:

My point was that the download version is the same whether you preordered or not. I was hoping we would get faster access to updates for buying early. I guess my question should have been: Other than the final version, are there any other benefits to preordering? On the download page they mention an activation code, which I have, but there's really nowhere to put it.

Oh, no, they're the same. But if you don't buy it I believe you only have an hour of game time to try it out as a demo. Once you enter the activation code though it gets saved onto your computer so you don't have to enter it again every time the game updates. So if you activated it back when you bought it, it should still be good to go.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

forge posted:

I don't pretend to know anything about this game.. but is there anyway to gain power without killing pirate ships? How do factions work? What are the big freighters for? Everytime I buy something to sell in another system it just sells for less. Is this game nothing more than shooting some ships to get a bigger ship?

Pretty sure there's a 0.6 compatible mod right now called Tradewinds that adds commodities to stations you can buy/sell in other areas to make a profit. You might wanna check it out, its probably on page 2 of the mods forum.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Logistics seems a bit constrictive. I've had to spend my last few aptitude level ups just to get to a fleet with 1 cruiser, 4 destroyers, 2 frigates and 2 fighter wings. It seems like it would be really difficult to get a fleet with battleships and a lot of support ships.

Also, chasing down fleeing ships seems harder than it should be. Every single one of my ships has an Unstable Injector, but they don't seem to be faster because of it in the combat screen.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Well, the enemy do get a head start, so you need to be like 1.5 times as fast as them if you want time to kill 'em.

For pursuit combats, you want frigates and really fast destroyers. Frigates and fighter wings can enter from the side (click them multiple times on the deploy screen), which allows them to snag nav buoys quickly and also to intercept key targets.

And yeah it'll be really tricky to roll around with a massive murderfleet, which is a bit annoying.

Muskatnuss
Mar 17, 2013
I get around fast enough with some Tugs and the Burn skill in the science tree.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Backov posted:

Logistics seems a bit constrictive. I've had to spend my last few aptitude level ups just to get to a fleet with 1 cruiser, 4 destroyers, 2 frigates and 2 fighter wings. It seems like it would be really difficult to get a fleet with battleships and a lot of support ships.

Also, chasing down fleeing ships seems harder than it should be. Every single one of my ships has an Unstable Injector, but they don't seem to be faster because of it in the combat screen.

Lots of the hegemony and pirate ships have afterburners and maneuvering jets.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Backov posted:

The Hound is good for this. Cheap as dirt, but with a Hypervelocity Driver in its main slot, it can easily catch those Buffalo IIs, Mules, and Carriers that flee from you. I bring a couple of Hounds with my main fleet that never do any real fighting, but are always deployed to catch enemies that flee.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
What does it mean when it tells you (before engagement) that your fleet is too big to engage effectively unless the enemy fleet is already in disarray? Is that some system telling me that it's going to screw me, or just that it thinks the fight is too much for me?

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
It tells you that your fleet is too large to disengage effectively. Notice that it doesn't give you any option to disengage, all you can do is engage or open comms. This happens when you have a large fleet and the enemy chooses to fight you instead of running.

You can still get away if you want or need to, you'll just have to do it via retreating in combat.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Wrapping this poo poo up now.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
What happens to any poor frigate under the shadow when you warp? :stare:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

A lot of horrible crashing noises and one thoroughly hosed frigate. Unless it just gets blasted away by the shockwave.

Here's a Karkinos loving off from the scene :argh:

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
C-YA System Activated

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

:swoon:

It'll probably be a bitch to field in the new CR system but damned if I won't!

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Reiz posted:

Pretty sure there's a 0.6 compatible mod right now called Tradewinds that adds commodities to stations you can buy/sell in other areas to make a profit. You might wanna check it out, its probably on page 2 of the mods forum.

There is, and it's right here, and it's pretty rad. I usually play with it turned on even though I don't do much trading, just because it's cool.

This is loving stunning, holy wow.

Also, I feel kinda bad for making GBS threads up the thread with more Kadurweaponbalancechat but I just dropped a new version of the Kadur Theocracy (a more detailed list of changes is in the changelog in the bottom of the OP) and I'd appreciate any feedback y'all have either here or in the mod's thread on the fractalsoftworks forums.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Good Professor posted:

Also, I feel kinda bad for making GBS threads up the thread with more Kadurweaponbalancechat but I just dropped a new version of the Kadur Theocracy (a more detailed list of changes is in the changelog in the bottom of the OP) and I'd appreciate any feedback y'all have either here or in the mod's thread on the fractalsoftworks forums.

Is it and are mods in general save-game compatible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Just fired up my own savegame after updating and it works - all weapons have their updated values (and sprites!). Nice that I don't have to start over again.

The Twinned Heavy Railgun that I shoved on my Shadowyards Enlil doesn't look so out of place anymore!