Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Wait, that was a dude on the bed?

I thought it was a girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

Wait, that was a dude on the bed?

I thought it was a girl.

It was a girl.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah, the manual builds up a bit of a mystery saying "no one has ever actually seen Captain Syrup" but she's definitely a woman.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Nintendo were being ambiguous like they were with Samus originally, Syrup is also one of the very few female villains in Nintendo games too, the only other ones I van think of are Nayru and Twinrova from the Zelda series and Cackletta and Wendy O Koopa from the Mario series.

EDIT: I guess Dark Samus is also female too, since the Metroid Prime stole some of Samus's DNA at the end of MP 1 and became genetically female from then on, but that's serious :spergin: territory.

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 29, 2013

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!
Captain Syrup actually is Dark Samus. When her plans to Phazon the whole galaxy failed, she instead turned to piracy; stealing statues and downloading episodes of Breaking Bad.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Now that makes me wonder how Wario 'practices being mean'.

practice as in application, not rehearsal. In Wario's case, this probably includes bumping people over and throwing those people at other people. And stealing their money.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Judge Tesla posted:

Nintendo were being ambiguous like they were with Samus originally, Syrup is also one of the very few female villains in Nintendo games too, the only other ones I van think of are Nayru and Twinrova from the Zelda series and Cackletta and Wendy O Koopa from the Mario series.

EDIT: I guess Dark Samus is also female too, since the Metroid Prime stole some of Samus's DNA at the end of MP 1 and became genetically female from then on, but that's serious :spergin: territory.

Would the parasite Samus from Fusion count as female? In fact, Mother Brain and Queen Metroid should count too. Metroid has a lot of female end-bosses now that I think of it.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Holidae posted:

Captain Syrup actually is Dark Samus. When her plans to Phazon the whole galaxy failed, she instead turned to piracy; stealing statues and downloading episodes of Breaking Bad.

Surprisingly, Wario Land reuses some sound effects from Metroid II on the Gameboy.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Triskelli posted:

Surprisingly, Wario Land reuses some sound effects from Metroid II on the Gameboy.

Metroid Fusion runs a modified Wario Land 4 engine. http://tcrf.net/Metroid_Fusion#Debug_Rooms

Wario is Adam's estranged cousin.

Edit:
There's also this:

Click for source.

So now the question is, is FutureFriend gonna include all the Metroid games as well?

Geemer fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 30, 2013

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Bully: Scholarship edition uses the Gamebryo engine as does Oblivion and Fallout 3. With your logic, that means that all those titles are connected.

I really wouldn't count debug content in games as proof they're in the same universe. The Arwing in Ocarina of Time was put there to have the movements of Volvagia done properly, but they just didn't remove the Arwing from the game. I wouldn't say that Starfox and Legend of Zelda share the same universe.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

Bully: Scholarship edition uses the Gamebryo engine as does Oblivion and Fallout 3. With your logic, that means that all those titles are connected.

I really wouldn't count debug content in games as proof they're in the same universe. The Arwing in Ocarina of Time was put there to have the movements of Volvagia done properly, but they just didn't remove the Arwing from the game. I wouldn't say that Starfox and Legend of Zelda share the same universe.

I believe he was performing what is known as a joke, or a comedy.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Geemer posted:

Metroid Fusion runs a modified Wario Land 4 engine. http://tcrf.net/Metroid_Fusion#Debug_Rooms

Wario is Adam's estranged cousin.

Edit:
There's also this:

Click for source.

So now the question is, is FutureFriend gonna include all the Metroid games as well?

On a serious note, that only implies that they borrowed assets from another game in development, not necessarily that they're on the same engine.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Cheez posted:

On a serious note, that only implies that they borrowed assets from another game in development, not necessarily that they're on the same engine.

While that's true, you'd think it'd be much easier to just make some generic blocks than to import the graphics for them from another game.
I'm pretty willing to believe they started out with the Wario Land 4 engine and heavily modified it. After all, Ocarina of Time uses a heavily edited Mario 64 engine. So heavily that you could say it's a whole new engine, but it still has its roots.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Geemer posted:

I'm already preparing my half-assed arguments on why Other M is a satire on contemporary shooters.

In some other news, I recently found out in Wario Land while browsing The Cutting Room Floor there are some files for a different Big Bird fight:

Might have been that you had to fight Big Bird in Parsley Woods instead of SS Teacup or that he was supposed to be a refight? Either way, I bet it would've been a better fight than that loving ghost.

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 30, 2013

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Syrup Castle in the background is a nice touch. I wonder how another fight against that bird would go.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Releasing a short update since everyone finally found the time to get together. Thanks to Killeremcee and a_raving_loon for joining me.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Even though it probably wasn't a question which you actually cared about the answer to, my :spergin: instincts led me to find out just how many coins the whale bags you: 7,000. What a rip-off!

As for the Mario & Wario game, I could swear that the bucket actually had a trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee or Brawl (I can't quite remember which, but I'm pretty sure it was Melee). They named the fairy in the trophy description.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
The trophy is from Melee, and the fairy's name is Wanda.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Bucket

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

OmegaGoo posted:

The trophy is from Melee, and the fairy's name is Wanda.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Bucket

Oh my god, that link. I'm surprised the bucket doesn't have an extrapolated personality on there or something.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

The Bucket is a major item in the game Mario & Wario. It is one of many objects dropped by Wario on top of the head of either Princess Peach, Mario, or Yoshi in order to obstruct their vision. As such, Wanda the fairy has to guide the blind heroes to the end of the game's various stage. The Bucket features Mario's "M" insignia when up-right, although when turned upside-down, the "M" becomes Wario's "W," symbolizing Wario's power over the character. The Bucket is only used in the first stage, Yōsei no Mori - other stages besides EXTRA have different head objects, which are usually references to other games in the series.

You're holding out on us, FutureFriend.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Toffile posted:

You're holding out on us, FutureFriend.

Here's what all the buckets look like, jeez.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

In addition to being a trophy in Smash Bros. Melee, the bucket was also a treasure in The Great Cave Offensive in Kirby Super Star (which also has cameo treasures from F-Zero, Metroid, Earthbound, and other Nintendo series).

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

FutureFriend posted:

Releasing a short update since everyone finally found the time to get together. Thanks to Killeremcee and a_raving_loon for joining me.

Saying "there's nothing else to the game" is selling it extremely short. More elements are added to the game and there are different puzzles, so that's an awfully harsh statement for what it is.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!

FutureFriend posted:

Here's what all the buckets look like, jeez.

One of those buckets is Wario's explorer hat from Wario Land. There's our connection. My mind is now at ease.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Cheez posted:

Saying "there's nothing else to the game" is selling it extremely short. More elements are added to the game and there are different puzzles, so that's an awfully harsh statement for what it is.

Yeah sorry, I worded it a bit wrong there. I was going more along the lines of that that's how the game plays and showing more of it might be a bit boring.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Oh, then that makes a lot more sense, although every now and then there's something neat that comes along. It'd probably take something like a highlight reel to show it all off since there's some pretty devious stuff in there sometimes. Not a big deal though, I get what you mean now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do you get like passwords or is there a level save or something for the game? I can't imagine you're intended to play it all the way through.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Glazius posted:

Do you get like passwords or is there a level save or something for the game? I can't imagine you're intended to play it all the way through.

At the beginning you can actually select which world you want to go into. I assume it just saves what world's you've completed, since there's a world that's unlocked after you've beat all the others but I've never finished the game in multiple sessions.

Anyway :siren:Update Time:siren:

One thing I forgot to talk about in the video is Wario Woods' NES version, which was actually the last Licensed NES game. It's mostly the same as the SNES version, just with somewhat worse graphics and the Vs. Com and Vs. 2P modes missing. It's also the only NES game to be rated by the ESRB.

Feel free to tell me how wrong I am about this game by the way, because honestly besides the basics it just confuses and frightens me.

Just one more bonus game and then we're off to Virtual Boy Wario Land.

Mooncow
Mar 17, 2009

"This is gonna work!"
You didn't even get to the part where they can only be killed by diagonals, you need to the them twice in a row quickly, or they change colors after the first hit and you have to hit them again. Its a fun game once you understand it but it gets very overwhelming quick also you can pick things up while running up stacks helps to organize the taller stacks that get out of control.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

FutureFriend posted:

One thing I forgot to talk about in the video is Wario Woods' NES version, which was actually the last Licensed NES game. It's mostly the same as the SNES version, just with somewhat worse graphics and the Vs. Com and Vs. 2P modes missing. It's also the only NES game to be rated by the ESRB.
The NES version of Wario's Woods has an awesome mode. It has the same gameplay, but it also has boss battles. You need to match up and destroy a column of enemies that line up to the boss in order to damage it. The bosses may be similar to those in Vs. Com, but they are completely different. The only character that appears in both that you fight is, well, Wario.

I know this because I own Wario's Woods on the NES.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Just to comment on the voice clip chat, the first Star Ocean on SNES had quite a lot of voice clips and it was such a retardedly huge game that the machine couldn't actually run the game properly. It is very prone to crashing, freezing and many other clitches that range from mildly annoying to game stopping. Which is sad since the game is otherwise fairly good JRPG.

At least that was my experience with it while playing it on Zsnes. I don't know if accurate emulators such as bsnes would fare better.

Enormatron
Dec 22, 2009
Wario's Woods actually has a pretty thorough tutorial mode that tells you everything you need to know about gameplay. It seems random if you don't know what's going on but it's really not. For example, if you still got greem bombs even though you cleared out all the green enemies, it's because there are still green bombs or a green gem there somewhere. The green bombs are there to clear everything that's green, not just the enemies. New players should go through the tutorials anyway because despite looking like a basic puzzle game, the controls are pretty in-depth and there's a lot you can do in the game. Wario's Woods is no Tetris Attack but it's still one of the better puzzle games for the SNES and I recommend checking it out.

As far as voice acting on SNES goes, don't forget "The last metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Wario in this game looks like they got his character model from a counterfeit, non-Nintendo licensed t-shirt.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Tales of Phantasia has a theme song, with full vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxjqaThnYHk

There's also Hong Kong '97, which has a much shorter theme song (only a few seconds) that's repeated ad nauseum, but it IS vocalised, so it still counts. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oka1XfJuSc8

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Sunset Riders was an arcade game first, but it's the first thing I think of when you mention voice in a snes game.

Plus, I'm pretty sure Wario would appreciate https://burymewithmymoney.com.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Fun fact about that Mario and Wario game. Every Pokemon game has the main character having a Nintendo console hooked up to a TV in his/her room. In the original, it was an NES, and it described what was on screen as "Mario with a bucket on his head!"

For all these years I had no goddamn idea what that was about. I played that game, I played Melee, never had any idea. Now I know. Also, that game was RIDICULOUS. I've played Flash games that were longer and had more complex puzzles.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
I like how psyched Wario is to be there in Wario's Woods, as though he's been waiting for this moment all day. He almost seems to be going "Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Now it's Wario's time to shine!"

And then he looks all awkward when he finally has to shift his fat rear end off-screen.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
It's so weird, I've heard the fact about Wario's Woods being the last licensed NES game before, but I also remember at the time that Gamepro reported that The Jungle Book was the final game made for the NES. :iiam:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
It's always good to see yet another franchise take a page from Tetris in its series. At least Wario Woods wasn't as bad as Kirby Avalanche, and didn't QUITE go full on Tetris rip off.

Virtual Boy Wario Land...my eyes are hurting already just thinking about it. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

InterrupterJones posted:

It's always good to see yet another franchise take a page from Tetris in its series. At least Wario Woods wasn't as bad as Kirby Avalanche, and didn't QUITE go full on Tetris rip off.

Virtual Boy Wario Land...my eyes are hurting already just thinking about it. :cripes:

VBWL is literally the only good VB game.

Its much more of a straight sequel to WL1 than WL2.

(Which isn't to disparage WL2, its pretty refreshing that the game is based around Wario saying "gently caress death. I'm Wario. I'm immortal.")

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 14, 2013

• Locked thread