Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Goddamn posted:

Huh. I always wondered why Eren's titan form didn't look anything like him while the others had some resemblance (well... I geuss Bert is a stretch.) It looks like the protagonist here instead.

My stupid and probably wrong theory is that, assuming Ymir wasn't flat-out lying about stealing the titan power, Eren's titan is actually his dad's. If titan forms can be passed on to other people it would explain why Ymir and Eren's titans don't particularly resemble them but some of Rage Titan's features match up with Grisha (okay, mostly just the nose). At the very least I think it's worth pointing out that Ymir, Eren, and Sasquatch are the only titans I can recall with pointy ears, who knows if that actually means anything.

This is reaching pretty hard but it's still not as silly "Armin ate Eren's mom". I want to take that theory and frame it on my wall, it's so quaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Watching the anime, and I'm pretty certain Isayama named him "General Pixis" as a way to troll the Japanese voice actors, because it sounds loving hilarious whenever they say it.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

On that note, CaptCommy get out of the thread, Annie and Bert are the only ones with skinless Titan forms. I suppose this could mean that they're relatives and Reiner is even farther off the deep end than we thought. On the other hand we might assume the Armored Titan is skinless under the armor and that being skinless represents that a different process was responsible for your creation.

Man I want to know what Ymir's deal is. :argh: If she was just a Titan that gained human form, why did that one Titan mistake Ilse for her and act like it worshipped her? If she went human to Titan to human again, then who the gently caress was she originally, what is her relationship to the Titan trio's group, and why was she Titanified?

BattleRobit
Jun 14, 2013

Man that was an underwhelming wall titan reveal.

I watched it with some friends and their reaction was like, "huh is that another titan breaking through the wall?"
It would've been a more dramatic cliffhanger if they just went full-on manga route and have some characters react to the titan.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
I still say Ymir wasn't an accidentally chosen name and she's secretly the God-King of Titans. Monkey Trouble is just a concerned retainer. :v:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Oh hey how's it going wait what the gently caress is going on.

This certainly took an unexpected turn. And almost everything I speculated about political intrigue and competing factions turned out completely wrong.

Also, what's this about tunnelling titans? Where did Hanji mention that? Someone post where that was bought up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Autumncomet posted:

Man I want to know what Ymir's deal is. :argh: If she was just a Titan that gained human form, why did that one Titan mistake Ilse for her and act like it worshipped her? If she went human to Titan to human again, then who the gently caress was she originally, what is her relationship to the Titan trio's group, and why was she Titanified?

My theory is that she's patient zero. Which would certainly fit in with her name, being the progenitor of all giants.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

My theory is that she's patient zero. Which would certainly fit in with her name, being the progenitor of all giants.
That was my thought at first but she's too young; she's late 70s at most but the walls (and hence piloted titans and presumably regular titans) have been around for at least 107.

Phobophilia posted:

Also, what's this about tunnelling titans? Where did Hanji mention that? Someone post where that was bought up.
The chapter where Reiner outs himself (it's called "Warriors" I think). Hanji is just theorizing out loud; I doubt they can actually tunnel.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Yeah, she's just pondering how they got inside the wall without a breach. We know how they got there, she doesn't, and the thought of potential tunnelers is scary.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Is it just me or did the big reveal after the credits, seem really off? The rocks just seem to pop out with no noise. As if the titan is blowing some dust out of his face.

:psyduck:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

UberJumper posted:

Is it just me or did the big reveal after the credits, seem really off? The rocks just seem to pop out with no noise. As if the titan is blowing some dust out of his face.

:psyduck:

In an episode where most everything was animated really well that last bit looked kinda poo poo. It went from a static image of cracked rock to some really lazy crumbling debris paired with hokey guitar chord, it made me chuckle a bit and I had to rewind just to see what exactly it was.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

Oh hey how's it going wait what the gently caress is going on.

This certainly took an unexpected turn. And almost everything I speculated about political intrigue and competing factions turned out completely wrong.

Actually, the wall titan thing doesn't preclude it and in fact, it's the first time in the manga itself that the characters themselves realize that this may to some degree be some kind of Inside Job.

One of the many details that the way it was handled wasn't particularly great. I'd recommend reading the manga and not just checking out these later pages of the thread, unless you want to really learn about the Biggest Surprises early. Like ol' Spooky Scary.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Autumncomet posted:

That was my thought at first but she's too young; she's late 70s at most but the walls (and hence piloted titans and presumably regular titans) have been around for at least 107.

I don't think he's far off though. If you think about it there was that titan respected Ymir so that hints she's some kind of royalty, maybe she started another faction?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Autumncomet posted:

Hanji is just theorizing out loud; I doubt they can actually tunnel.
I heard someone (can't remember if it was this thread or elsewhere) theorize that Sasquatch just chucked some brainless titans over the wall. Easy solution, no tunneling necessary, fits in with Ape Titan's prickish nature.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
It's pretty clear that the source of the Titan wave was Connie's village, and the bandits in the castle. Sure, there was Titan-chucking after the castle battle got heated, but I think the initial population were all fresh converts. "Welcome...back..." and all that.

I'm very curious about how the change occured. If Connie's village had converted piecemeal, instead of all at once, there would have been blood and bodies. I think that there's something added to the food or water in that area, possibly by the shadowy figures behind the titan trio or :wookie:, which builds up until some external trigger catalyzes it.

But how? This doesn't seem to be a series that has 'magic spells!' or 'psychic!' as parts of it's vocabulary. I'm assuming it'll be a chemical or hypnotic response, but... how did the Titan in the castle basement get converted? He was literally locked away from any external influences.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

The second half of the series is generally much, much better at animation

On the other hand the 3DMG use in the Forest of Giant Trees was terrible and there was one particular bit I remember where several characters are riding horses over a bridge facing the camera and the bridge looks like it was done in MS Paint.

E: They either shouldn't have shown the wall titan at all and just retconed it in discreetly if a second season got made or otherwise they should have dealt with it differently, maybe even just lingering on it for a few seconds would be enough.
Showing it for half a second was the worst way they could have done it.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 29, 2013

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Squidster posted:

It's pretty clear that the source of the Titan wave was Connie's village, and the bandits in the castle. Sure, there was Titan-chucking after the castle battle got heated, but I think the initial population were all fresh converts. "Welcome...back..." and all that.

I'm very curious about how the change occured. If Connie's village had converted piecemeal, instead of all at once, there would have been blood and bodies. I think that there's something added to the food or water in that area, possibly by the shadowy figures behind the titan trio or :wookie:, which builds up until some external trigger catalyzes it.

But how? This doesn't seem to be a series that has 'magic spells!' or 'psychic!' as parts of it's vocabulary. I'm assuming it'll be a chemical or hypnotic response, but... how did the Titan in the castle basement get converted? He was literally locked away from any external influences.

Every sentinent titan generats an Absolute Titanification Field...

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

MeLKoR posted:

On the other hand the 3DMG use in the Forest of Giant Trees was terrible and there was one particular bit I remember where several characters are riding horses over a bridge facing the camera and the bridge looks like it was done in MS Paint.
I've heard from several animators that drawing horses is a bitch due to all the little movements they make. Maybe that's one reason for the lowered visual quality in the forest scenes.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Jackard posted:

So, a rushed conclusion to the current arc,
Don't understand adding all this filler when they were already pressed for time; I bet we could have gotten a decent epilogue otherwise. Now we have to wait for season two to finish up season one's arc.

And all the problems it introduced... No pastor freaking out about Annie climbing the wall, no wall being repaired, no scouts learning about the wall, no Eren gaining control over his rage, no pitching Mikasa in a last ditch attempt to stop Annie. Then fusion!? and the injured Levi suddenly extracting Eren. Even the parts they kept were hosed with - why did they split up Irwin's interrogation...?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 29, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jackard posted:

Even the parts they kept were hosed with - why did they split up Irwin's interrogation...?

Because sometimes a component works well enough in one medium but does a lot worse in another? Having a big talk with a guy a lot of anime watchers probably aren't hugely invested in yet to end your big season will be a lot more boring than if you intersperse it between other parts. Plus tons of different shows do that all the time.

There were a few liberties they took but that was one concession I particularly liked and thought worked well - would it honestly have been better in every way if the anime followed the manga to the letter for the finale?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

TheKingofSprings posted:

There were a few liberties they took but that was one concession I particularly liked and thought worked well - would it honestly have been better in every way if the anime followed the manga to the letter for the finale?
They could have reached the arc's proper conclusion instead of needlessly drawing everything out. That was just one more instance of them doing so. The previous episode was also handled poorly, despite some nice spiderman filler.

Bremen posted:

And seriously, can we keep the complaints about the changes to this thread? Anime watchers have been complaining.
Agreed, I've been keeping my complaints to this thread.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 29, 2013

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
From the anime thread:

RBX posted:

The fact half the people thought it was a joke or think its fine it just got "lip service" is the problem. If it was handled correctly we'd have people wtf'ing and asking questions and excited. Instead everybody is talking about...how it was handled.

And I think that's exactly what they wanted. All that stuff can come next season, instead of an "ending" that basically concludes nothing and would anger a lot of people. This way they ended on a hint for a next season that hasn't even been announced instead of a sadistic cliffhanger.

Seriously, the last month of this thread has been people looking forward to watchers reactions, and I think that's coloring interpretations now. It's a perfectly good ending, it just doesn't have the "WTF?" reactions manga readers were expecting, and therefor they find it disappointing.

And seriously, can we keep the complaints about the changes to this thread? Anime watchers have been complaining.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bremen posted:

And I think that's exactly what they wanted. All that stuff can come next season, instead of an "ending" that basically concludes nothing and would anger a lot of people. This way they ended on a hint for a next season that hasn't even been announced instead of a sadistic cliffhanger.

Seriously, the last month of this thread has been people looking forward to watchers reactions, and I think that's coloring interpretations now. It's a perfectly good ending, it just doesn't have the "WTF?" reactions manga readers were expecting, and therefor they find it disappointing.

Remember: anime like this are strictly advertisements for the manga. That's entirely their purpose. They're a thing to get people to buy the manga, since they don't actually typically make profit off the anime; no one can afford the cost of DVD sets in Japan as they don't price them for mass buying.

Attack on Titan was already selling very well prior to the anime coming out (it had topped the charts a few times), but now after the anime it's approaching weekly shounen levels. It's going to be decade defining in terms of sales.

A total cliffhanger actually meets their needs quite well.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak posted:

A total cliffhanger actually meets their needs quite well.

Considering their need was to "make the manga sell like hotcakes" and said manga now sells like hotcakes, is it not possible the director wanted to give a feeling of closure on the off chance they don't get a second season (ahaha)?

This episode was also screened in theatres and they would be making big bucks off that (I presume?), so it also could be they structured it a little more after a movie for that purpose.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Squidster posted:

The walking dead?

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Squidster posted:

The one Reiner found when he opened that door? I figured it just found a way in somewhere. Half the castle was in ruins already, it could've just fallen through the floor.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

TheKingofSprings posted:

Considering their need was to "make the manga sell like hotcakes" and said manga now sells like hotcakes, is it not possible the director wanted to give a feeling of closure on the off chance they don't get a second season (ahaha)?

This episode was also screened in theatres and they would be making big bucks off that (I presume?), so it also could be they structured it a little more after a movie for that purpose.

I think it's pretty clear that in some ways it was a movie-style ending that fit the fact that they were showing it at a cinema.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I read chapters 33-end of the manga today and I was a straight anime watcher, so they got me on that. The wall reveal made me go "oh poo poo what was that" and wished the second season was already airing. Since it wasn't, I found the manga and realized that humans just keep getting poo poo on in this world.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Democratic Pirate posted:

I read chapters 33-end of the manga today and I was a straight anime watcher, so they got me on that. The wall reveal made me go "oh poo poo what was that" and wished the second season was already airing. Since it wasn't, I found the manga and realized that humans just keep getting poo poo on in this world.

Just did the same and I want to say that the Colossal/Armored Titan reveal gave me one thought: gently caress the "eerily accurate" speculators in the anime thread.

Other than that, pretty amazing.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Another anime then 33 to the end manga-er here. Does anyone have the page number of this thread for when 33 came out? Or a date maybe?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Mr. Fowl posted:

Just did the same and I want to say that the Colossal/Armored Titan reveal gave me one thought: gently caress the "eerily accurate" speculators in the anime thread.

Other than that, pretty amazing.
As soon as it was revealed Annie was the female titan and that the other were probably trainees with her, it wasn't too hard to figure it out. Doesn't mean they had read ahead.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Senor Candle posted:

As soon as it was revealed Annie was the female titan and that the other were probably trainees with her, it wasn't too hard to figure it out. Doesn't mean they had read ahead.

They "guessed" perfectly when Eren first transformed.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Mr. Fowl posted:

They "guessed" perfectly when Eren first transformed.

The people I was watching the show with immediately guessed it was Eren and to then go back and look at all the trainees and pick those two out wouldn't be all that difficult.
EDIT: I'm not saying that there wasn't idiots doing what you're saying, I'm just saying it's possibly that some were honest guesses.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 29, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ak Gara posted:

Another anime then 33 to the end manga-er here. Does anyone have the page number of this thread for when 33 came out? Or a date maybe?

Near the beginning of the thread. I'd guess around page 15 or so.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Senor Candle posted:

The people I was watching the show with immediately guessed it was Eren and to then go back and look at all the trainees and pick those two out wouldn't be all that difficult.
EDIT: I'm not saying that there wasn't idiots doing what you're saying, I'm just saying it's possibly that some were honest guesses.

Nah, Eren himself being a titan was obvious. The identity of the Armored titan? Sure, he even looks like him. The Colossal Titan, though? Really just sours me to the whole thing.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Woah. I just went back and was skimming through an early episode, when you see the drill instructor screaming at all the new recruits, it's pointed out that there are some he is leaving alone because they've already been through hell. It specifically showed Annie, Mikasa, Eren, Reiner and Bertholdt together, and Ymir.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

Woah. I just went back and was skimming through an early episode, when you see the drill instructor screaming at all the new recruits, it's pointed out that there are some he is leaving alone because they've already been through hell. It specifically showed Annie, Mikasa, Eren, Reiner and Bertholdt together, and Ymir.

One of these things is not like the other and is considerably more buff.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Mr. Fowl posted:

Nah, Eren himself being a titan was obvious. The identity of the Armored titan? Sure, he even looks like him. The Colossal Titan, though? Really just sours me to the whole thing.

Yeah, anyone guessing the Colossal Titan is really a stretch but, at the same time, Bert WAS always right there with Annie and Reiner... so I guess if you were especially suspicious you could take another guess after guessing Reiner and Annie.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

Page 19. Here's the post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004