Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Dogs Only
Nov 10, 2012
I find it funny how the goony nerd town is just one letter away from being named Aspie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There's sleeping on a bookshelf, and then there's thinking people will pay money for the privilege of sleeping on a bookshelf.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wonderchef was waiting for so long because he was disguised as a vegetable in Gooncave. So naturally he was avoided like the plague in lieu of pizza and Cheetos. :v:

And yeah, I have no idea why Yuri was so adverse to starting trouble with those knights. There were only two of them, alone in a cave, with no witnesses or backup. He could have knocked em' out, grabbed Mordio, and been out in five minutes.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sydin posted:

Wonderchef was waiting for so long because he was disguised as a vegetable in Gooncave. So naturally he was avoided like the plague in lieu of pizza and Cheetos. :v:

And yeah, I have no idea why Yuri was so adverse to starting trouble with those knights. There were only two of them, alone in a cave, with no witnesses or backup. He could have knocked em' out, grabbed Mordio, and been out in five minutes.
They're probably nine-to-fivers.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

So having now played to about the halfway point of this game it's impressive how much of an improvement it is over Symphonia. The characters are all fairly intelligent, there's no one apologizing all the time, Yuri is way more versatile than Lloyd combat wise and more interesting as well, there's really only one character I would call outright terrible in combat and the story is actually kinda interesting. It's by no means perfect, but it's a huge improvement all around. It's amazing that the same company made both games.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't think any of the characters are really outright terrible in combat, though there are definitely at least two that are basically useless (or at the very least will mess up your combos instead of actually helping) if you don't have a human controlling them.

ShadowFox1001
Sep 21, 2013
I don't think any of the characters are terrible in combat, but it really is based on combat preference and what you're used to. A lot of times, people will be more comfortable using the main character because they are the most balanced. What I like about Vesperia is that every character has some weakness. Yuri is pitiful against a group of enemies, so you would want to keep him in more one-on-one situations. Repede is almost useless against flying enemies, and so on. I've actually found every character useful in combat, but I wouldn't want to use them all regularly (Karol or Estelle).

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

LeafyOrb posted:

So having now played to about the halfway point of this game it's impressive how much of an improvement it is over Symphonia. The characters are all fairly intelligent, there's no one apologizing all the time

Hurm. The team behind this one wasn't responsible for Tales of Graces right?

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 28, 2013

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think the same team makes all the 3D entries.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

Hurm. The team behind this one wasn't responsible for Tales of Graces right?

No. Vesperia was Team Symphonia, Graces was Team Destiny.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Hikarusa posted:

No. Vesperia was Team Symphonia, Graces was Team Destiny.

They did however work together to make Xillia.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: Updates :frogsiren:

Ep 09: Feminine Secrets Youtube

cofaigh
Dec 30, 2006
Ha ha... dangly parts

...just going to leave this comment on JRPG rail-roading here.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
Just rename Yuri Troy Baker and be done with it.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
If Minifoo ever tires of playing Doug he can always pick up Rita for some ridiculous over limit screen clearing.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

Dastardly posted:

If Minifoo ever tires of playing Doug he can always pick up Rita for some ridiculous over limit screen clearing.

Oh god, I hope we see THAT trick at some point.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Yup.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

momomimi
Oct 21, 2012

Compared to the vastness of the ocean, that's nothing to worry about!
Yes! One of my favorite characters finally made her debut, the Lord of Nerd lords. :allears: Looking forward to seeing Rita used in battle a bit more.

In regards to the renaming, I second the motion to call Yuri, Troy Baker-chan. As for the others how about Repede as Doog, Estelle as Maybelline, and Karol as The Incredible Gifman?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
I don't think there's a lot of room to write the names (6 letters? Or was it 8?) and you can't edit the surnames, either, so Troy Baker-chan wouldn't fly...

Can anyone confirm the letter limit?

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Obviously you could rename Karol to Lloyd. Maybe Repede could be Tupac. Also I'm pretty sure the reason you couldn't cast any spells with Estelle was because she was out of tp.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fingers of Fury posted:

Also I'm pretty sure the reason you couldn't cast any spells with Estelle was because she was out of tp.

I noticed this when editing the videos. I wish the game would give you some sort of cue that this was the case instead of just doing nothing.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Fingers of Fury posted:

Also I'm pretty sure the reason you couldn't cast any spells with Estelle was because she was out of tp.

Kuvo posted:

I noticed this when editing the videos. I wish the game would give you some sort of cue that this was the case instead of just doing nothing.

This is a huge balancing problem with Tales games in general. In the early game, you run out of TP super fast and super easy. In addition, the UI doesn't help you at all in informing you what is making your arte usages or commands fail, which just increases the previous issue since people new to the game/series need that help the most.

Strangely enough, Symphonia was the only game that actually did something about informing you why you couldn't use Artes, all other games just silently fail. I have no idea why they dropped that.

The CC based Tales games fare far better, because you're only dealing with small auto-regenerating numbers anyway, though you could probably improve that there too.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Minor warning for the next few episodes: my internet was total poo poo this session for some reason, so I was like 10 seconds behind when I could see the stream at all, so my navigating is not so top notch!

Derpes
Oct 5, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

This is a huge balancing problem with Tales games in general. In the early game, you run out of TP super fast and super easy. In addition, the UI doesn't help you at all in informing you what is making your arte usages or commands fail, which just increases the previous issue since people new to the game/series need that help the most.

Really? I'd say that the midgame is where you run out of TP the easiest, early on you have your 1-2-3-Arte combo that barely takes any TP at all since you regain some with every hit. In the midgame you start linking artes together to make longer combos which drains TP much faster. Lategame you have rings to lower TP consumption so it's not much of a problem then.

Also I don't think ignoring the HP/TP bars is the game's fault.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Derpes posted:

Also I don't think ignoring the HP/TP bars is the game's fault.

It's not, but they could have the character say "I'm out of TP" or make a 'error' sound or have an animation of them shrugging or something. I thought the bindings I set didn't save because there was no feedback. From a UI standpoint its bad design.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Clearly Repede needs to be called Juiceman so Alex can have some influence on this Tales LP.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah, Rita is pretty much never going to leave your party for the rest of the game. She's just too good not to use. It gets even stupider when she hits her highest tier spells, which don't even have a "range" but just hit every enemy on screen because why not? :v:

Also some stellar AI showing from Estelle, there. Out of TP and can't cast? I guess I'll just stand here looking stupid! :downs: The healing AI in Abyss can be a little dodgy at times, but at least the healers know to run up and start contributing in melee when they're out of TP.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I think the latest game has the characters say a quip when they run out of TP, but nothing after that.

now I imagine trying to use an attack and have them say "It's no good, I CAN'T DO IT" like solid snake when you try to shoot a missile at metal gear when it has Grey Fox pinned to the wall

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Vicas posted:

Minor warning for the next few episodes: my internet was total poo poo this session for some reason, so I was like 10 seconds behind when I could see the stream at all, so my navigating is not so top notch!

That's when you tag me in, man, because I am a master of vague JRPG navigation. Especially in this game.

Just not real life navigation. If I don't have GPS I kind of freak out.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

This game does actually yell at you by having one character yell at another about how they are using too many artes when TP is low, but it's sort of inconsistent about it.

Edit: Rita's quote is that she needs healing when her TP is low though :psyduck:

LeafyOrb fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 1, 2013

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Lovely Rita, magic maid.

ShadowFox1001
Sep 21, 2013
I like Rita as a character and love her as a battler. Ever since I tried unknown mode in Abyss, I've valued the mage characters highly. One of the problems I've had with her (and this is probably true for all characters, at least when I've played) is that I have a hard time getting a chance to cast because the enemies decide to come at me when I control her. Some of the costumes you can get for her later are cool.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The only reason Rita doesn't have 100% usage rate in my game is because the game counts the battles before she joins the party. She rules.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Rita is my favorite, I mained her through the game. She's just completely hilariously broken. Especially once you find out that most artes get more powerful the more you use them, so even a lot of her wimpy early game spells are useful later in the game if you consistently use them.

I mean, at least until you reach that stage where there's no reason to do anything other than hit overlimit and spam top tier spells forever (which refills your overlimit while it does damage, leading to a loop of constant damage :hist101:). You can practically solo bonus bosses with her.

alcharagia posted:

The only reason Rita doesn't have 100% usage rate in my game is because the game counts the battles before she joins the party. She rules.

That and the fact that for some secret missions using her ranges from suicidal to literally impossible. I still pretty much use her at every other point though.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 2, 2013

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Yuri should be Joel-senpai

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I felt bad for not using Rita more often in my playthrough because she was really good. I just have a bad habit in Tales games of ignoring the mage and using two attackers, a healer, and a utility character. I blame Symphonia and Legendia for having garbage mages.

If we're renaming characters then I request Yuri be Goku.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

WhiffleballDude posted:

I blame Symphonia and Legendia for having garbage mages.

But Genis had the best fanfictions and wasn't garbage late game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My main problem with Genius... well, my main gameplay problem with Genius was that he was always locked out of half his spells because of that stupid T-S system. Granted a majority of his S spells were garbage, but others like Grave or Atlas were a big shame to miss out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowFox1001
Sep 21, 2013
It's been a long time since I've completed Symphonia, but couldn't you switch over to S and get them, or did Atlas have a pre-req to get it?

• Locked thread