Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Verizian posted:

I really want a new Blood game, there were rumours of Caleb showing up in FEAR2 when it was first announced

There were? What brought that about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Sigma-X posted:

You mean from The Transformers Movie, right? :v:

He meant Saint's Row 4. :colbert:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Pretty sure he means Shadow Warrior.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

catlord posted:

There were? What brought that about?

Blood, Fear and Fear 2 were all made by Monolith and some quote was thrown around a few sites by someone claiming to be a dev about how awesome it would be if The Point Man ran into Caleb in a dingy bar somewhere.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
I'm not very good at FPS games but I'm playing on hard and its pretty fun so far. I find it hard-challenging, and not hard-annoying, which is great. Anyways I have no idea how to spend my points. Any advice? I don't want to waste skill ups and have the game turn hard-annoying later on.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

After much thought and prayer, I have reached the decision that the weapon upgrade system in Shadow Warrior is very detrimental to the game, which would be vastly improved if their full functionality and alternate fire modes were immediately available to the player from the get-go, and there is no good reason for this not to be the case.

I'd like to extend my thanks to my pastor and church community for their love and support during this turbulent time.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 1, 2013

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
Should I be using M+KB or a gamepad with this? Controls feel a little wonky in general.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Am I crazy or is this basically a good Daikatana? You're sort of time travelling (not really, but you're effectively going from old Japanese temples and crap to an industrial area and so on), you've got a magical sword that is both MacGuffin and actual melee weapon and your buddy Superfly is actually a mask riding on your belt.

Also, I really like the sword combat, but it's mostly making me want to go play Red Steel 2 again.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

WeaponBoy posted:

Am I crazy or is this basically a good Daikatana? You're sort of time travelling (not really, but you're effectively going from old Japanese temples and crap to an industrial area and so on), you've got a magical sword that is both MacGuffin and actual melee weapon and your buddy Superfly is actually a mask riding on your belt.

Also, I really like the sword combat, but it's mostly making me want to go play Red Steel 2 again.

You are crazy.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

IGNORE MY POSTS posted:

Should I be using M+KB or a gamepad with this? Controls feel a little wonky in general.

M+KB definitely. I can't imagine playing it with a controller.

And after beating it on Normal I went back and started on Insane and got up through level 2. So far it feels pretty drat balanced! It's definitely harder but as long as you keep moving and use your skills (and don't blow yourself up) it seems fair.

e: oh and i'm probably missing something obvious but are these statues or whatever supposed to be from something?

also i found this Easter Egg that i missed my first time through

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 1, 2013

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Yodzilla posted:

M+KB definitely. I can't imagine playing it with a controller.

And after beating it on Normal I went back and started on Insane and got up through level 2. So far it feels pretty drat balanced! It's definitely harder but as long as you keep moving and use your skills (and don't blow yourself up) it seems fair.

e: oh and i'm probably missing something obvious but are these statues or whatever supposed to be from something?

also i found this Easter Egg that i missed my first time through

Pretty sure they're from Hard Reset. I've ran into several easter eggs, and I'm really not too far into the game. I love a game with a healthy shot of whimsy.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Rinkles posted:

On the topic of Devolver, they've promised that if SW does well, they'll go after the Blood IP.
:stare:

Yes. YES. THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN. Everyone go buy ten more copies each of Shadow Warrior right the poo poo now.
Yeah, I am a raving Blood fanboy, how'd you guess?

Anyways, loved this game. Here's short list of things I found awesome:

- Everything explodes. Barrels, cars, gas tanks, fire extinguishers, vending machines, rikshaws, fire cauldrons, whatever. Shoot at things and they explode. In the early part of the game I took a shot at some unaware enemy, missed, hit something else that exploded and started a huge chainreaction of a whole streetful of things blowing the gently caress up.
- Game's friggin' gorgeous, especially the night-time temple areas. It's just the right kind of colourful, the design is great and the lighting effects are just so pretty.
- Hoji's cool, Wang is cool, and the writing is surprisingly legit good when it wants to be.
- Lots of funny throwbacks to the original SW in Wang's lines and other stuff.
- Heavy metal demon rabbits
- CHOPPIN' DUDES TO BITS AGAIIIIINNN

For me the guns being a bit weakish actually works in the context of this game, because I found it fun how in longer fights it often went like "welp, I'm out of ammo for everything, SWORD TIME MOTHERFUCKERS". Oh and for those who think the revolver is bad, I suppose you didn't get the secondary fire mode upgrade? Because that's what really makes the gun, and it's fantastic at gunning down minor mook groups.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Also, everyone realizes you can buy ammo through the upgrade screen, right?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Also, everyone realizes you can buy ammo through the upgrade screen, right?

Yeah but its expensive as hell and outside of the bossfights where it isn't immediately obvious that they're respawning ammo in a big ring around the arena you'll hardly ever run out of ammo. I had to momentarily switch to using the crossbow to take out some harpies because I ran out of PDW ammo but in general the sword is so good and the guns so bad that you don't really run out of ammo for the PDW or Shotgun (the only two guns that don't suck completely).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Can you tell me the secret to making the PDW not suck completely? Because holy god does it seem like the worst possible weapon short of the flamethrower in the game to me. Meanwhile the fact you didn't mention the crossbow with 4x damage upgrade seems highly suspect.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

Cowcaster posted:

Can you tell me the secret to making the PDW not suck completely? Because holy god does it seem like the worst possible weapon short of the flamethrower in the game to me. Meanwhile the fact you didn't mention the crossbow with 4x damage upgrade seems highly suspect.

I only really use the PDW against the larger enemies or bosses to soften them up. Get the akimbo upgrade and just spam the poo poo out of them until you run out of ammo. Then go in and slice em up.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

SaucyLoggins posted:

I only really use the PDW against the larger enemies or bosses to soften them up. Get the akimbo upgrade and just spam the poo poo out of them until you run out of ammo. Then go in and slice em up.

That doesn't really build up my opinion of them that much. Seems like going in and slicing things up from the start would cut out the time wasted over emptying my useless PDW ammo stockpile pretty handily.

I mean, there's an argument in there for using them against those gigantic clusters of rear end in a top hat flying goblins, but they do a worse job against them than the revolver, and a MUCH worse job than the crossbow.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 1, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I never touch the PDW outside of boss fights or the poison dudes and their balls.

....heh.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

Cowcaster posted:

That doesn't really build up my opinion of them that much. Seems like going in and slicing things up from the start would cut out the time wasted over emptying my useless PDW ammo stockpile pretty handily.

I mean, there's an argument in there for using them against those gigantic clusters of rear end in a top hat flying goblins, but they do a worse job against them than the revolver, and a MUCH worse job than the crossbow.

I don't know what to tell you. I like it against the big enemies because they're usually surrounded by hordes and/or resurrecting hordes so you can akimbo unload and anything running towards you will get sprayed which usually delays them as well. I find running in and slashing is an issue because the big enemies usually have pretty painful close up AoE attacks.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

I bought all the upgrades for it. I use it almost exclusively for killing the green ball guys (I also use the revolver for this) and the harpies, and the bosses. Despite having the 4x damage upgrade for the crossbow I hate using it because it has such a long charge until it shoots something stronger than a hug and hello.

The shotgun is the only effective burst damage dumper but now that I've got my my sword skills maxed I just WW+LMB everything anyways.

The rocket launcher has the dual problem of being useless at range because the rockets phone a friend to give them a ride to the target, and useless up close because your sword and shotgun do a ton of damage and don't hurt you on the splash.

The big guys having AOE melee attacks is moot because you have a sweet dash that you should be using all the time.

Also magic that isn't healing is actually useless. Honestly the sword techniques that aren't WW+LMB are also useless because the spin doesn't do any damage and the knockback/wave either kills guys (same as my forward strike) or does approximately sweet gently caress and all.

This game is pretty much entirely the sword and occasionally chain reaction explosions off of otherwise mediocre gunplay (and sometimes swords). This makes it superior to hard reset in that Hard Reset was exclusively mediocre gunplay with occasional chain reactions.

If this game didn't have a sweet loving sword to cut dudes with.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

WeaponBoy posted:

Am I just crazy or was Half Life 2 basically a good Redneck Rampage?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Warlords are still dicks. Necromancer dudes aren't so bad anymore and neither are the katana dudes.

Seriously, a tether and aoe-enrage? Not to mention their cleaver hitbox is realy huge.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I love how the most dangerous part of the come-over-here move isn't being dragged to the Warlord (you can easily dash away before he actually does his follow up swing), it's the fact you're stopped dead before he reels you in.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Honestly I think PDW and Flamethrower can be safely ignored for upgrades on a fresh run. At least flamethrower has the niche of giving you a unique karma bonus (the corssbow can do it too, but requires investing the alt-fire). I find the crossbow to be a far more efficient boss killer and crowd control weapon than the PDW. This is assuming they don't tweak the damage numbers later of course.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I like the PDWs, but the laser pointer upgrade is a must.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

DatonKallandor posted:

I love how the most dangerous part of the come-over-here move isn't being dragged to the Warlord (you can easily dash away before he actually does his follow up swing), it's the fact you're stopped dead before he reels you in.

Also, it's nearly impossible to hit anything because you gun wobbles around while he has you. Frustrating when you have an arrow charged up, but the little poo poo grabs you before you can fire it.

I like the PDWs. Akmibo PDWs with the laser pointer are great for opening boss weak points and dealing with trash enemies. It tends to get overshadowed a bit when you upgrade the crossbow and shotgun and get the rocket launcher, but it still has its uses in the later parts of the game.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The Flamethrower alt fire with the damage upgrade deals with hordes of trash mobs really effectively I've found - and isn't half bad for Shield-Trolls either. Lob one fuel tank of alt-fire at the approaches and switch to something else to finish off anything that survives.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

The Flamethrower alt fire with the damage upgrade deals with hordes of trash mobs really effectively I've found - and isn't half bad for Shield-Trolls either. Lob one fuel tank of alt-fire at the approaches and switch to something else to finish off anything that survives.

The problem is the Katana/Shotgun/Xbow can do the same thing quicker, for less ammunition, and in a much more satisfying way.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

None of them have nearly the same AoE capability or the ability to continue to deal damage in the giant area after you've stopped firing. Especially the Crossbow or the sword.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I never upgraded the flamethrower because it was way to expensive for my tastes. I still needed to max out the shotgun, which seems way more handy, when I got the flamethrower. If they made the flamethrower's upgrades much cheaper, I'd probably would've actually used it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DatonKallandor posted:

None of them have nearly the same AoE capability or the ability to continue to deal damage in the giant area after you've stopped firing. Especially the Crossbow or the sword.

The rocket launcher. :getin:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Kind of. The Rocket Launcher doesn't have the same AoE, doesn't have the persistent damage and I personally think the arc of the flamethrower alt fire makes self-splash less likely. But yeah the Rocket Launcher and the Flamethrower alt-fire have largely similar uses - but that's not even that bad, because they don't share ammo (not that you'd ever need to use the Flamethrower enough to run out of ammo).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Even on Insane I feel like using a weapon that's not your sword is the shameful way to go. I've been treating them as fallback options really.

Also for the Warlords (and pretty much everything else really) never stop moving and dashing. You need to play this game like you're playing Vanquish or some other fast action game where if you stand still you're probably going to get wrecked. I had to disable motion blur because it was messing with my head mostly because when I'm in combat I'm never not dashing.

e: if I was to look for one thing for a sequel to add I'd like to see more aerial attacks both in the terms of launchers and jumping down onto dudes. adding verticality to the combat would be rad as hell

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I just got the shotgun. I had been saving up my cash, since I read that it was good. I had enough to fully upgrade it the moment I picked it up...

In the first fight afterwards where you fall down to that one room with the big tanks that explode and flood the room with scrub demons I managed to line up practically the entire encounter up with a little bit of kiting...

I wiped out practically the entire encounter out with a single firestorm shot, leaving only a few stragglers. Four and a half stars, if I remember correctly.

The shotgun isn't just good, it's amazing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I like the PDWs cause you can do the dual welding thing while backing up and pretend you're playing Serious Sam.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The 1.0.3 patch has an interesting change - Medkits won't spawn in containers after you've met Hoji. I first thought this was to increase the difficulty, but thinking about it most of the time those extra kits were redundant, and getting money or ammo instead is way more useful.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
Those big charging dudes are loving assholes, they're fast enough to get catch up to you even if your dashing around and your weapons won't harm them unless your hitting the boils on their backs. Worse still, you have to fight two at once so god drat getting a clean shot in with anything other than the PDW while both of them charge at you.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

You can hit the vulnerable part from the front too. Charged-Crossbow bolts work pretty well.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mushball posted:

Those big charging dudes are loving assholes, they're fast enough to get catch up to you even if your dashing around and your weapons won't harm them unless your hitting the boils on their backs. Worse still, you have to fight two at once so god drat getting a clean shot in with anything other than the PDW while both of them charge at you.

Step 1- Get Rocket Launcher
Step 2- Get laser sight for Rocket Launcher
Step 3- Fire rocket over Bull demon's head
Step 4- Wait for the rocket to fly past Bull demon and be behind him
Step 5- Aim at his neck
Step 6- Hold RMB

Tada. :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Geight posted:

The 1.0.3 patch has an interesting change - Medkits won't spawn in containers after you've met Hoji. I first thought this was to increase the difficulty, but thinking about it most of the time those extra kits were redundant, and getting money or ammo instead is way more useful.

Yeah I'm up to the first boss and even on Insane I'm almost never not at full health after a fight. There's health packs goddamn everywhere.

• Locked thread