Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Nalin posted:

It is nice to see that punkbuster is still going strong as the worst piece of poo poo software ever created. I get the same crash, but I can't fix it because Even Balance's servers are down. So I guess I'm not playing BF4 tonight.
Get ready for FairFight server-side which is supposedly even worse (stateless statistical analysis). It's probably going to kill more people with killstreaks than the HVT system.

Actually I take that back - nothing is worse than Punkbuster. Just think if Origin had never been made and we could have VAC2 :(

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I recall the BF3 beta being much the same way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1m1lflkhxU

Well Caspian Border was a really good map. Maybe it was the map at one point. Then a year later Monolith comes out. And now Shanghai. Poor Caspian Border, how much you have fallen.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So the game should run much better at release right? I'm no longer sure I want to preorder given all the loving FPS lag every time I shoot a gun.

According to server admins its the servers chunking because they are getting 5 million join requests, but right now the novelty has worn off and it's just frustrating to play.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Ironsights posted:

Camping on the roof of Delta has got to be the most annoying loving thing. Especially when your chopper keeps getting spawn killed by the other team and you have no way to drop in on there.

This map is going to be horrible on hardcore

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

Hal_2005 posted:

Holy poo poo, I did not think this game would be anything more than a repackaging of BF3 & a cash grab.

Honestly, this is kind of what BF4 is. I hate to even call it a sequel. But gently caress me sideways, I am still going to buy it because it is my favorite FPS game :(

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

So the game should run much better at release right? I'm no longer sure I want to preorder given all the loving FPS lag every time I shoot a gun.

According to server admins its the servers chunking because they are getting 5 million join requests, but right now the novelty has worn off and it's just frustrating to play.

Battlefield 3 runs approximately a million billion times better than the beta for it did, unless you're a liar or somehow have the worst luck with PC hardware. I see no reason to suspect BF4 will stay exactly as it appears in this beta.

The real concerns I'd have are whether or not you are still interested in playing a game where if one side on a server has a decisive advantage over the enemy, it stays that way (and many server admins ultimately support stacking teams, either deliberately or simply by doing nothing about it).

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 2, 2013

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

The BF3 beta was unplayable for me due to having to be alive to change any settings let alone the awful performance. The final game ran much better and a few patches later I think my framerate went up 25-50% from the release build.

Then DICE decided a new major release of Windows was not worth their time and I couldn't play due to a memory leak. Planned obsolescence much?

God I hope they are QA'ing Windows 8.1 right now....

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

That is a feature. It's how SSAO works in every game.
It's not true that it doesn't do anything. It does a great job of causing haloing, view-dependent artifacts, and out-of-place black lines.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK I played this game for a little while and it's nice and all, but I'm just not feeling it. I pretty much put it down quickly and went back to playing Planetside 2.

There's nothing wrong with BF4, it just kind of feels like more of the same BF3. The new tower level is fantastic, I mean -- the design is great, and there's a lot to do -- but I just came away from the whole experience with a big "ehhhhhhhhhhhh" feeling.

I may still buy it just to play with friends, but ... ehhhhhhhhhh.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Ironsights posted:

Camping on the roof of Delta has got to be the most annoying loving thing. Especially when your chopper keeps getting spawn killed by the other team and you have no way to drop in on there.

That is why you can drop that building down from the comfort of your base.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Shumagorath posted:

The BF3 beta was unplayable for me due to having to be alive to change any settings let alone the awful performance. The final game ran much better and a few patches later I think my framerate went up 25-50% from the release build.

Then DICE decided a new major release of Windows was not worth their time and I couldn't play due to a memory leak. Planned obsolescence much?

God I hope they are QA'ing Windows 8.1 right now....

fivegears4reverse posted:

Battlefield 3 runs approximately a million billion times better than the beta for it did, unless you're a liar or somehow have the worst luck with PC hardware. I see no reason to suspect BF4 will stay exactly as it appears in this beta.

The real concerns I'd have are whether or not you are still interested in playing a game where if one side on a server has a decisive advantage over the enemy, it stays that way (and many server admins ultimately support stacking teams, either deliberately or simply by doing nothing about it).

Maybe my PC is just getting old, I had 0 performance issues with the BF3 beta, although I didn't play that much either because a few hours after I started playing it people realised how broken the UMP was with its OHK if you were moving.

Where is the cheapest place to buy it?

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
"Battlefield 4: ... ehhhhhhhhhh"

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Can somebody just tell me if there are silenced shotguns in this one

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Sometimes the gun play feels really solid and then sometimes I feel like I'm shooting two feet high to the right at guys three feet in front of me

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

As per a post on Reddit I downgraded to the 320 drivers. I can actually play the game now. Ultra settings 60-70ish FPS, with occasional dips.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So has anybody worked out a solution to the bug where the game gets stuck at LOADING [] with a black screen and sounds of the battle/VoIP in the background?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The engineer weapon (PDW--MX4?) seems REALLY bad

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

e:

im dumb nevermind

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Someguy posted:

Air vehicles feel awful. Auto hover fucks with your aim, they don't seem to have any inertia, and move with comical speed. Your cursor is STILL the same color as the skybox. Flares take 25 seconds to recharge, while stingers take less then 2 seconds. Can't wait for another 2 years of bad back and forth vehicle balance from the people who don't seem to want to learn from their mistakes, just lol.

Just make the game infantry only and be done with it Dice, you know you want to.
While it may be different on another map, Stingers seem worthless. A) you'll get the direction you're being locked from highlighted for you, so you know which direction to head for to avoid the missile/lock. B) there's a shitton of stuff in the way. c) I just launched three stingers at a helicopter. 1 flared off, two more hit. The thing was still not disabled (I honestly cannot tell you if that was a transport helo getting repaired or an attack gunship, but I think it was the latter). Then it flew away. Success! (well, not really, because all I did was waste everyone's time and my ammo). Then I got killed by a tank and wished I'd just had an RPG.

edit:

DrPop posted:

I am really struggling trying to grind carbines up, yeah. :(

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
You can have the game render at a lower resolution and upscale like Planetside 2 can.

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?

keyframe posted:

That is why you can drop that building down from the comfort of your base.

You're thinking of C, the skyscraper. D is the shopping mall type building with the glass panes above the capture flag.

There's a building between D and E with an elevator to the top that can be used to snipe the people camping the top of D, or parachute down on to it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Can somebody just tell me if there are silenced shotguns in this one
No but supposedly there's a full choke that will turn your videogame blunderbuss into a proper weapon.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

Tarranon posted:

That's been happening to a lot of people, myself included. Solutions include either going into the direct x redist folder in your origin directory and moving all the zips to a new folder, installing windows updates, updating the drivers, and "waiting for the problem to fix itself"

I think that last one did it for me? It just seems really touch and go.

I actually fixed it by going to my documents/battlefield 4 and deleting all the files in the settings folder.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Is anyone else crashing every time the round ends? I've unlocked the defib like 6 times today cause it keeps crashing after I get that last 300xp.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm seeing people warping, and rubber-banding myself, in servers with a ping at like 20. Crazy times.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Hal_2005 posted:

Holy poo poo, I did not think this game would be anything more than a repackaging of BF3 & a cash grab. Totally wrong. Amazing physX, tighter netcode (way less lag even on european servers), better ambiance.

I see this game going places.

There's PhysX in this game?

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?

Zotix posted:

As per a post on Reddit I downgraded to the 320 drivers. I can actually play the game now. Ultra settings 60-70ish FPS, with occasional dips.

Interesting, can you link me to the reddit post that suggested that?

Do you mean the 320.49 nvidia driver?

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Ravenfood posted:

While it may be different on another map, Stingers seem worthless. A) you'll get the direction you're being locked from highlighted for you, so you know which direction to head for to avoid the missile/lock. B) there's a shitton of stuff in the way. c) I just launched three stingers at a helicopter. 1 flared off, two more hit. The thing was still not disabled (I honestly cannot tell you if that was a transport helo getting repaired or an attack gunship, but I think it was the latter). Then it flew away. Success! (well, not really, because all I did was waste everyone's time and my ammo). Then I got killed by a tank and wished I'd just had an RPG.

It's actually really easy, even easier then you would expect for a crutch weapon that requires literally zero ability to use. The first rocket fired gets the flares, which take 25 seconds to recharge and are effectively worthless after the first use, then the second rocket hits and gives the chopper a 'mini-disable' which lasts just long enough for another stinger to reload and fire, rinse repeat until victory (and multiplied by however many stingers there are, which is usually more then one). Of course it's all academic since you should just be using the RPG that flies at mach 6 to finish the engagement anyways, while the pilot is distracted from a dozen stingers in the first place.

Someguy fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 2, 2013

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?
The choppers seem really durable in the beta, able to survive things that would instagib a chopper in BF3.

However like someguy said, taking a rocket hit will briefly knock them around and can be enough to cause the pilot to flip out and slam it into a building.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

DrPop posted:

The PDW's have very short TTK's because of how high their fire rate is. Rush in there and shoot some mans, carbines are definitely better though, with the acr being a omgwtf lazer.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

No but supposedly there's a full choke that will turn your videogame blunderbuss into a proper weapon.

Nyyagghh!! Rauuughhh!!

Just let me Chigurh it up, DICE. Come on man.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

nihil morari posted:

"Battlefield 4: ... ehhhhhhhhhh"
I'll take that in consideration for the next title.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Wait, so RPGs are actually fast / accelerate off the launch now? Next you're going to tell me tank shells aren't out-run by pistol cartridges.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Nyyagghh!! Rauuughhh!!

Just let me Chigurh it up, DICE. Come on man.
Payday 2 is your game.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

BBJoey posted:

So has anybody worked out a solution to the bug where the game gets stuck at LOADING [] with a black screen and sounds of the battle/VoIP in the background?

Delete the files in My Documents/Battlefield 4/settings/

Worked for me.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

El_Funko posted:

You're thinking of C, the skyscraper. D is the shopping mall type building with the glass panes above the capture flag.

There's a building between D and E with an elevator to the top that can be used to snipe the people camping the top of D, or parachute down on to it.

Oh yea my bad. Why is the rooftop of D a problem. You can just take the elevator up there or just kill people when they peek from the rooftop, never had a problem with it myself.

One thing I noticed so far is all the matches I played end up with really close scores and none of the 400 ticket difference matches like in BF3. Dunno if that is because the map is better and the new squad waypoint system or the pubbies in the beta are actually competent.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I can't figure out how to bring up the battlescreen on my phone/laptop/tablet whatever. Is that feature not available in the beta?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Shumagorath posted:

Wait, so RPGs are actually fast / accelerate off the launch now? Next you're going to tell me tank shells aren't out-run by pistol cartridges.

If anything, tank shells seem slower and more affected by gravity to me. Maybe I'm crazy or just not used to using the zoom on the main gun, though.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Oh great punkbuster is enabled now and the pos promptly crashes when I launch the game. How do I go about fixing it?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Pharmaskittle posted:

If anything, tank shells seem slower and more affected by gravity to me. Maybe I'm crazy or just not used to using the zoom on the main gun, though.
GOD drat IT

Would tanks really be so bad if their main guns performed close to reality? Just make them take longer between shots or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I feel like I've gone back in time to the days of Enemy Territory. Punkbuster is downloading at an excruciatingly slow 25 KB/s.

• Locked thread