Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

PublicOpinion posted:

Might be a bit more overwhelming without a sorcerer, cleric, and bard throwing PD targetting attacks at it.

Part of it was that it had low health, our sorcerer crit, and I burned two dailies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

PublicOpinion posted:

(Usable up to the Escalation Die times per round) Flailing chains: While the Fragment is staggered, whenever a nearby enemy rolls a 5 or less on an attack, make the following attack:
C: Chain Whip (triggering enemy) +15 vs. AC – 15 damage

This is a pretty minor effect. I'd be shocked if it triggered three times in a round, ever. Given the relatively low damage, you might consider having it go off on every miss, any number of times a round. If you try to attack the God Hand and botch your approach, you get chain'd a bit.

Of course, that's assuming it's being used as a level appropriate monster. As a level 4 encounter, when you have one fourth the HP you would at level ten, any weirdly underpowered abilities you give it are probably functioning as intended.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Yeah, I waffled back and forth on how often that should go off. In play, I thought having it scale with the escalation die (and letting the players know that it scaled with the escalation die) gave it a bit more urgency--though that would have mattered more if there were more than two creatures on the monster side, and nobody was inclined to ignore the giant severed hand that spit poison anyway.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
We've got a bit of confusion going on in IRC - do Sorcerers have spells per day, or do they simply 'know' 4 spells at level 1, for instance, that they can use at any time?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
There are no more Spells per Day. Clerics and sorcerers know the number of spells that they have listed (to use your example, 4 at level 1 for Sorcerers). The spells themselves say how frequently they can be cast (At-Will, Recharge, or Daily).

Wizards technically know all the spells, but they can only prepare the number per day per level that's appropriate according to their level chart. Again, the frequency depends on the spell, with the minor caveats that cyclic spells alter their casting frequency according to the Escalation die and that Daily spells become Recharge 16+ in the Overworld.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Oh okay, thanks. It was mostly the wizard having to prepare that confused me, I guess.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Do we have an ETA on when the 13 True Ways classes might be available to backers (as a playtest or similar)?

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
Hey guys, I got a quick question. I preordered my book through a store that didn't have the Brick and Mortar Program. How can I get access to the High Res PDF?

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Doublehex posted:

Hey guys, I got a quick question. I preordered my book through a store that didn't have the Brick and Mortar Program. How can I get access to the High Res PDF?

From Pelgrane's pages:

quote:

If your retailer is not a Bits and Mortar store, email a scanned image or a legible photo of your receipt to Cat Tobin at cat@pelgranepress.com, and we’ll send you a link to the PDF.

Merry Christmas :)

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
I have a question, if I pre-order 13 True Ways now, will I have access to the Beta? I refused to back it because the actual product came out beforehand and I wanted to be 100% I liked the system enough to commit to two purchases.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

13 True Ways isn't up for pre-order yet and won't be until it is much closer to the release date. If I'm not mistaken it has been said they don't want a repeat of 13th Age where it was on pre-order well before it saw actual release; 13th Age was available for pre-order roughly 12 months prior, mine was placed August 2012.

Only the Bestiary is currently up for pre-order. The draft available to view now is excellent.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Saw this on another forum and it didn't get any legs there, but I thought it might be interesting enough to spark some discussion here:

quote:

13th Age doesn't seem to have any sort of entries on lycanthropy in either the core of the Bestiary. That's fine; it frees us all up to spin something new. So how would you handle werewolves in this game? What do they do, how did they get this way, and which Icons are most likely to have connections to them?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

PantsOptional posted:

Saw this on another forum and it didn't get any legs there, but I thought it might be interesting enough to spark some discussion here:

I got this covered

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

PantsOptional posted:

I think the Dybbuk possession rules on pg 79 would make a good start. The Dybbuk slowly becomes dominant, but the PC has access to cool powers from it. Using the powers gives the Dybbuk a better chance of getting the upper hand. Some of the powers would even work for wolf people.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I'm thinking the Wendigo wouldn't be a bad place to pull inspiration from, either. "Wendigo Hunger" is begging to be reskinned into "Moon Madness."

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Anyone happen to know of a repository of icons along the same lines as the ones the Icons use? The Roll20 table has a couple for status effects, but I was hoping for some decent-sized ones to use when making new/replacement icons. Any ideas?

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

Doomsayer posted:

Anyone happen to know of a repository of icons along the same lines as the ones the Icons use? The Roll20 table has a couple for status effects, but I was hoping for some decent-sized ones to use when making new/replacement icons. Any ideas?

There's The Noun Project and Game-Icons.net that might be able to help you out.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

There's The Noun Project and Game-Icons.net that might be able to help you out.

Awesome, thanks!

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Aside from Midgard and the Core setting, are there any free/pay settings available that are worth checking into? I'm starting up a new campaign for my home group soon and I'm looking for something new to use.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

-Fish- posted:

Aside from Midgard and the Core setting, are there any free/pay settings available that are worth checking into? I'm starting up a new campaign for my home group soon and I'm looking for something new to use.

Well, I don't mean to plug my own stuff, but I made up a bunch of Wild West-themed Icons for a game I'm running for some friends. I was aiming for something like Deadlands, if not quite as dark. Magic exists, there's some stuff about nature spirits, etc. It's not an entire setting by itself, but it might give you some ideas.

In general though, most D&D settings are pretty simple to adapt to 13th Age if you've got a particular love of Planescape or Eberron.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

I'm throwing together a Psion class! It's still in its early stages, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some critiques/advice. Like, is anything about its class features or talents inherently broken? Do its abilities seem fun? Do its powers seem to fit the whole brain wizard image?

(I'm also a little concerned it might be bordering on a literal brain wizard, as in being too similar to the existing Wizard class. Combat-wise I'm aiming for a playstyle centering around control, possibly sacrificing damage to do so.)

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

I'm throwing together a Psion class! It's still in its early stages, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some critiques/advice. Like, is anything about its class features or talents inherently broken? Do its abilities seem fun? Do its powers seem to fit the whole brain wizard image?

(I'm also a little concerned it might be bordering on a literal brain wizard, as in being too similar to the existing Wizard class. Combat-wise I'm aiming for a playstyle centering around control, possibly sacrificing damage to do so.)

I rather like the framework a lot. On Minor Domination; is there any real reason that the attack automatically succeeds? That seems a little potent for a 1st Level At-Will.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

OmniDesol posted:

I rather like the framework a lot. On Minor Domination; is there any real reason that the attack automatically succeeds? That seems a little potent for a 1st Level At-Will.

I think the idea is so you only have to roll once to succeed, 4E kinda had that problem where forcing an enemy to attack one of their allies usually required a roll against the enemy and then the enemy rolling against their ally, giving you two chances to fail, discouraging the cool flavor of getting the enemies to do your work for you.

Anyway, just doing a quick skim, Charming Suggestion seems really useful for a Feature, I think it'd fit better as a Talent. I don't understand what 'Suggestion background' means for the Suggestion talent. Telekinetic Strikes should either be a Feature or excised; being allowed to use your primary stat to attack is a non-choice in 4e and it feels like a non-choice in 13A.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

red plastic cup posted:

Well, I don't mean to plug my own stuff, but I made up a bunch of Wild West-themed Icons for a game I'm running for some friends. I was aiming for something like Deadlands, if not quite as dark. Magic exists, there's some stuff about nature spirits, etc. It's not an entire setting by itself, but it might give you some ideas.

In general though, most D&D settings are pretty simple to adapt to 13th Age if you've got a particular love of Planescape or Eberron.

I love these, great work writing them up. The descriptive text has a real evocative voice.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Something you did here that I think is really important is create a conceptual 'space' for the class to live in the game world. By that I mean it's not just enough for a class to have non-combat abilities, but that those abilities do something that justifies the class's existence. Message, Ectoplasmic Shaping and Mirror Image do that well. I might turn the Anguish and Ecstasy feat from 12+ to 14+ since messing with stats has a pretty wide ripple effect. The rest of the powers look good so far.

As long as we're on the topic of sharing classes, here's a Battle Captain y'all can use until the official one shows up.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I'm running the first game in my first ever campaign with a near-complete new to d20rpg group. I have a fair bit of experience now as a GM for 4e and have just finished a trial run of 13th age with a couple of people up to level 5.

The problem I'm having is introducing people to the concept of an rpg as a whole, an doing that with 13th age. Bolt strike pillar is great, but I think relies on people knowing what's possible and what isn't in an rpg, what will work, what can be done etc etc

So I've designed a very small dungeon to run through, with premade characters that forms a '50 years before' prelude to the campaign setting. If I sketch it out here, very roughly, could someone help me out with suggestions, what they like to do with first time players etc etc?

Narratively, it's very simple - the group are formidable paragons of the great golden worm, called to battle by a coalition of the 'good' powers. (They're all level one as the simpler classes and no racial abilities). They will be asked to form a strike team to cripple a demon hold while the emperor takes his army through to decapitate the demon lord.

Structurally, it's based on three concepts, roleplaying, battle, traps.

Roleplay, first room

They enter a small cave with one obvious exit, a large locked door. The party can discover easily that this is the main entrance and likely to be heavily guarded, which will be suggested in description and will not require a check.

Checks will reveal two other exits (one magic check, one dungeoneering-style).

The challenge then becomes how to get through the room? Any roleplaying solution is acceptable provided it uses the background system and passes an easy check.

Battle, second room

However they get through the previous room they will end up in a suitably reskinned version of the first battle of the boltstrike pillar adventure.

The solution they chose will affect the escalation dice positively or negatively, thus introducing that mechanic along with the accompanying battle mechanics.

Trap, third room

After the battle they will move forward into a flesh-cave with a steaming floor of uneasily disturbed blood. Lots of visual and descriptive clues that something lurks within, leading to a series of simple annoyance and damage traps, including one that produces a mook cluster until the trap is disarmed.

This is to try an get the players used to both my propensity as a GM to go for cheap jump scares with traps and also to think about the environment in different ways than the roleplaying room before - faster decisions, worse consequences of failure - and to try to come up with some innovative ways of dealing with an unfamiliar situation.

bringing it all together

I'm thinking here of trying to introduce a more difficult, multi stage fight that will require dealing with an environment that's hostile, making the best of a passive non hostile environment and a satisfyingly large, horrendous monster to have to deal with.

I'm currently going with having a standard solo enemy fight, in an easily exploitable environment that will let them fight and defeat something they really shouldn't be able to through creative roleplay. So, the environment will figure pools of water with a thick oily sheen (perfect for throwing torches into), precarious stalagm/tites (perfect for skewering a monster on) and flickering arcane crystals for blowing up.

These will be able to deal massive damage and create vulnerability, quickly getting the monster down to staggered, whereupon....

It explodes in a thick wash of gore and ropelike entrails, which blows the players back to the start of the room - they then have to negotiate slippery piles of offal while avoiding spurting magma blood and jabbing bone skewers, all the while trying to cut through monster flesh to destroy its evilly glowing heart....

Back to the narrative:

Of course the explosion has weakened the ceiling of the cave, which starts to come crashing down - the emperor rejoins them, grievously wounded, just as the roof falls in, trapping our heroes forever. The new dawn sees them revered as martrys abd heroes and the death of the emperor ushers in a new regime, heralding the beginning of the 13th, and some say final, age.....

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

I think the idea is so you only have to roll once to succeed, 4E kinda had that problem where forcing an enemy to attack one of their allies usually required a roll against the enemy and then the enemy rolling against their ally, giving you two chances to fail, discouraging the cool flavor of getting the enemies to do your work for you.

Yeah, this was the idea behind that decision, I felt like forcing the player to roll twice for the attack was too punishing and they'd just take the much easier to use but less flavorful Mental Jolt.

Although guaranteed hits kind of defeats the purpose of the AP bonuses. :downs: I guess I might turn that into a small die of extra damage or something.

quote:

Anyway, just doing a quick skim, Charming Suggestion seems really useful for a Feature, I think it'd fit better as a Talent. I don't understand what 'Suggestion background' means for the Suggestion talent. Telekinetic Strikes should either be a Feature or excised; being allowed to use your primary stat to attack is a non-choice in 4e and it feels like a non-choice in 13A.

I was mostly comparing Charming Domination to the rogue's Trap Sense, but yeah, it's probably a bit too general for a Feature. I couldn't really figure out what to call the 'Suggestion' background, but it's intended to be just any diplomacy/bluff/intimidate thing; I'll try to clarify that (or maybe scrap Charming Domination and let Suggestion do the work). I'm not sure what I'd want to do with Telekinetic Strikes, I mostly wanted to offer a more damage-oriented melee playstyle, but that DOES seem like a non-choice and goes against my intent for the class.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Something you did here that I think is really important is create a conceptual 'space' for the class to live in the game world. By that I mean it's not just enough for a class to have non-combat abilities, but that those abilities do something that justifies the class's existence. Message, Ectoplasmic Shaping and Mirror Image do that well. I might turn the Anguish and Ecstasy feat from 12+ to 14+ since messing with stats has a pretty wide ripple effect. The rest of the powers look good so far.

As long as we're on the topic of sharing classes, here's a Battle Captain y'all can use until the official one shows up.

Yeah I wanted it to have some really flavorful and unique things (I figured wizards would have a mirror images spell but they didn't, surprisingly).

That Battle Captain is really neat, I especially like the Support Staff talent.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

lenoon posted:

The problem I'm having is introducing people to the concept of an rpg as a whole, an doing that with 13th age. Bolt strike pillar is great, but I think relies on people knowing what's possible and what isn't in an rpg, what will work, what can be done etc etc

Are you sure you want to try to show what can and can't be done in an rpg with a heavily scripted sequence?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Yeah that's what I was worried about - is it too scripted? This is very much a handholding exercise as total rpg experience in the group is a couple of people have played WoW.

The whole campaign will be very different.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Honestly I've always liked the disastrous vehicle opening for new players. Burning airship, sinking watership, out of control train, that kind of thing. It's fast moving and there's no obvious solution, but what the players try tends to work out--plans that impress you do well, plans that don't impress you usually result in a few dice of damage. Call for rolls of various types. Maybe have some ghoul banditos attack, complete with sombreros. And if the players manage to save everybody then bam, there's your hook for people offering them the chance to solve the real problem, which is... I dunno. A vampire in a nearby castle. Orcish raids. Pre-teen illiteracy.

And if the vehicle is lost and everyone dies, you get a nice slow-paced trek across the wilderness to their destination scene to wind down.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

That Battle Captain is really neat, I especially like the Support Staff talent.

Thanks! The Public Relations Manager is my favorite. Tells you a lot about the kind of games I run.

HomegrownHydra
Feb 25, 2013

lenoon posted:

Can you give examples of what problems you've experienced? I ran a group of total noobs through that adventure without any explanation of how to roleplay and they had no problems at all. The mere act of coming up with their character's OUT, backgrounds and icon relationships was enough to put them in the right frame of mind.

Matte Black
Sep 5, 2006
some guy

Mystic Mongol posted:

Honestly I've always liked the disastrous vehicle opening for new players. Burning airship, sinking watership, out of control train, that kind of thing.
My group has a couple sessions under their belts, but the game was on hiatus for like 4 months & a new player was joining us, so for the first new adventure, I put them on the back of a berzerk koru behemoth that was beelining for the giant demon mouth on the world map. It went over pretty well, even if it took icon intervention to keep them from falling in. Now they owe said icons, though, so it's all good from a DM's perspective.

Downside is, now I gotta wait a while before I can go back to that well and use "out of control living structure" on them again with a suicidal living dungeon racing towards the center of the earth...

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

HomegrownHydra posted:

Can you give examples of what problems you've experienced? I ran a group of total noobs through that adventure without any explanation of how to roleplay and they had no problems at all. The mere act of coming up with their character's OUT, backgrounds and icon relationships was enough to put them in the right frame of mind.

After reading this and thinking about it more, I'm going abandon my plan, as I think you're right - character creation should drive people towards playing.

I think it's just a bit of a daunting prospect, though I've got some experience, I'm not the worlds most confident GM. But, well, lets rock and roll. Already had one player come to me saying they want to be half man half crab (both race and OUT), so I don't know what I was worrying about.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

lenoon posted:

But, well, lets rock and roll. Already had one player come to me saying they want to be half man half crab (both race and OUT), so I don't know what I was worrying about.
Is this crabman a doctor?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

He's a potions and knives specialist, apparently. I think there's a lot of inspiration coming from Dr Doooom's first album - the half man half crab is now a half shark alligator half man, which I said was also doable

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
I haven't prepared for my session tonight so I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing. I know the party's main goal is going to be cashing a check. Any ideas on how I could complicate that?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

It gets stolen, it bounces, it's actually an illusion, there's a bank robbery (foiling a complicated heist or a smash and grab?)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Thugs are constantly trying to foil them on the way, and then it turns out when they cash the check it completes an ancient ritual summoning a demon of greed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

It's sentient and doesn't want to go.

• Locked thread