Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I finished the game over the weekend and yesterday and my god, the tanker interior was easily the dullest part of the game. Amazing return to form with the mountain levels, though. Zilla's base itself also reminded me a lot of Pangaea from Deus Ex: HR, at least in the beginning.

I really didn't expect the story and characters to be this good, either. Does anyone know who Hoji's voice actor is? I mean, I know what his name is (Alex Dobrenko, I believe) but I came up with nothing relevant on the guy when I googled him during the credits. His voice is incredibly familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fendahleen
May 21, 2003

WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN HEAR US, EARTH MEN

kuroiXiru posted:

I really didn't expect the story and characters to be this good, either.

I didn't expect I'd agree, but I really liked the story in this. Not all of the story, of course - I have no idea what SEXY ASSASSIN TWINS were supposed to be adding to the narrative besides tits - but the nature of the overarching Shadow Realm plot impressed me. It wasn't even that it was good on its own merits, but it worked because it unfolded slowly as this grand, tragic drama, spanning centuries, which didn't involve you. You are, without quite realizing it til the end, completely peripheral to the main storyline. You aren't the main character and your human antagonist isn't really the villain. It makes Hoji's final words and the silent finale that much more poignant.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I wonder how many people just quit at the end and didn't bother waiting to see the camera pan back twice to get the full ending.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Pan back...twice? It goes out then back in and then kind of goes out and up and stays still and just shows Lo Wang is now by himself in the rain, right?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Pan back...twice? It goes out then back in and then kind of goes out and up and stays still and just shows Lo Wang is now by himself in the rain, right?

At first both of them are sitting next to Hoji, on the second shot Wang is sitting next to Hoji, at the last only the sword remains next to Hoji

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Well that's certainly interesting.

e: and I'm curious to see what this free DLC is too. they said this week right?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Tzarnal posted:

At first both of them are sitting next to Hoji, on the second shot Wang is sitting next to Hoji, at the last only the sword remains next to Hoji

That's not Hoji.

Explanation:
You come out to find Hoji's sister, NOT Hoji, at the top of the steps. Hoji's body burns away. She looks at you and it begins to rain because she's sad once more... all that effort to bring her back worked. Wang kneels down next to her, camera pans out.

Pans back in, Wang is still kneeling, sword is stuck in the ground, she's laying on the ground, presumably dead... probably by Wang's hand. Pans back out.

Pans back in, Wang is now gone, leaving the sword behind, stuck in the tiles next to her dead body. No demon can pick it up, so it's effective stuck there for eternity since no one can now enter the demon realm, although Hoji's Whisperer is still around.

I thought it was a pretty interesting way of showing the chain of events. Interesting that it kept raining, too.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Well that's certainly interesting.

e: and I'm curious to see what this free DLC is too. they said this week right?

They tagged the devs of Viscera, the space station horror game janitor sim, in the announcement, so probably a mop skin for the katana.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I just beat the first boss on Insane and holy hell were you guys right about it being tedious. Unless I was really stupid or careless he couldn't really kill me but it took me 25 minutes to bring his rear end down.

e: did they like, nerf or screw up the sword in the most recent patch? why does it feel like almost none of my sword attacks are landing?

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 1, 2013

Fendahleen
May 21, 2003

WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN HEAR US, EARTH MEN

Fuzz posted:

I wonder how many people just quit at the end and didn't bother waiting to see the camera pan back twice to get the full ending.

Buncha lightweights, not wanting to sit through the credits three times.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Okay gently caress this level.
Wave 1: Two berserkers with shield dudes
Wave 2: Shield dudes, long-range dudes and katana dudes
Wave 3: A berserker, two warlords, two shamans, shield dudes, katana dudes, long range dudes

Holy gently caress game enough already!

Also, divider of the heavens is wonderful versus Berserkers. Charge it up and meet him head on. The final blow makes them explode into a rain of gibs. Manliest way to take one down :getin:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 2, 2013

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm super on the fence about this so my deal breaker question: as someone who loved Dishonored and Bioshock 1+2, how well does this game do this game do the "Super-Powered 1st Person Action" Game?

I love FPS games with powers or twists and this looks awesome. Hell, even Blood Dragon was great because of super speed and no fall damage.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm super on the fence about this so my deal breaker question: as someone who loved Dishonored and Bioshock 1+2, how well does this game do this game do the "Super-Powered 1st Person Action" Game?

I love FPS games with powers or twists and this looks awesome. Hell, even Blood Dragon was great because of super speed and no fall damage.

You are quite probably going to like the game then. Start on normal or hard difficulty and change according to taste once you've gotten 10-15 minutes of play.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The powers themselves aren't all that incredible but the sword abilities are neat and if you imagine you're playing a swordfighting game where your spells are weapons then it's pretty great all around.

You move around really quickly so combat becomes something akin to Devil May Cry with how much you're dashing and dodging around. And comparing it to Dishonored and Bioshock I'd say the combat is better than both and I really enjoyed those games too.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Circle of Iron is my favorite upgrade so far.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
It's a testament to the combat and weapon design that we can have a page of discussion about the merits of each weapon and upgrade, and that everyone has their favorites and personal playstyles that work for them, without any one true OP combo that people feel they need to use by default.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Except for the Crossbow magazine size upgrade. I don't think anyone really needs that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah that one is definitely kinda useless but I agree about the conversation, the weapon loadout is such that everyone has their own favorites without any one configuration being OP.

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.
What is up with the ignorance of some of these reviews?? Edge Magazine UK refers to the ORIGINAL Shadow Warrior as a "corridor shooter"... http://www.edge-online.com/review/shadow-warrior-review/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The Edge is a terrible publication I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Sometimes I think reviewers of games skip over whether or not a game is fun.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Whichever goon said the Flamethrower primary fire was good against flying demons - thank you. I'm just getting easy 5-star ratings thanks to that. It absolutely destroys flyers, with a lot more skill bonuses than just shooting them did.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mental Midget posted:

It's a testament to the combat and weapon design that we can have a page of discussion about the merits of each weapon and upgrade, and that everyone has their favorites and personal playstyles that work for them, without any one true OP combo that people feel they need to use by default.

I pretty much exclusively use the Revolver/Katana at this point.

Katana for normal enemies, Revolver for bosses/greater demons.

All my friends think I'm crazy for not using akimbo smgs/the shotgun/rocket launcher/the XBow more often. I'm really happy with my setup.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Nearly at the end, and this game is loving amazing. I was really cynical at first but the game has really come into it's own. I've found a use for pretty much all of the weapons although the missile Launcher's glacial speed make it hard to use properly. Berserkers are a pain but I've got a nice rhythm with the Xbow's alt-fire set up where they charge and I shoot a bunch of exploding bolts onto it's glowy bits.

I'm hard pressed to find my favorite moment, but 2 that stick are one in the dockyards I was fighting a bunch of soldiers/police and using just the katana. I'd killed all but one and heard the last guy screaming down his radio "mayday mayday! he's wiped out the whole loving squad!" :black101: and right near the end When you assault Zilla's compound, the bridge outside his house comes down and a horde of Yakuza goons come running across. Taking them all down with the Katana was completely and utterly loving amazing.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Jblade posted:

Nearly at the end, and this game is loving amazing. I was really cynical at first but the game has really come into it's own. I've found a use for pretty much all of the weapons although the missile Launcher's glacial speed make it hard to use properly.

The secondary fire speeds up the missiles and straightens their wobbly flight path.

Finished the game now and holy poo poo it's awesome. I think they've arrived at the perfect FPS formula now. Painkiller had incredibly pretty maps but fairly limited weapon selection and one-dimensional gameplay. Hard Reset had awesome weapons and less pretty maps. Shadow Warrior has Painkiller style maps and the magic/melee/weapon combo stops the gameplay from becoming stale.

And the story makes sense! After Painkiller, where you could have put the maps in any order and it would have made the same small amount of sense, and Hard Reset - where god knows what was going on at all - I was starting to think they just couldn't do story. But Hoji is great, the Shadow Realm is great, Lo Wang is great. Everyone makes sense and there's a genuine journey in terms of character with a great conclusion.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Just as a heads up, the developers are asking questions about the game's balance over on the SW Steam forum. It's about the PDW, the katana, and the amount of money you can get. Perfect opportunity to tell the devs to buff the PDWs.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/233130/discussions/0/846965882785541450/

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

closeted republican posted:

Just as a heads up, the developers are asking questions about the game's balance over on the SW Steam forum. It's about the PDW, the katana, and the amount of money you can get. Perfect opportunity to tell the devs to buff the PDWs.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/233130/discussions/0/846965882785541450/

What kind of sick bastard would even think that the Katana isn't perfect the way it is?! :stare: Wang can very easily take a lot of damage from certain enemies or situations even if you're on top of your game with melee. It's power is no more OP than a fully upgraded explosive crossbow or a Warlord head, and its absolutely fine being that way!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I beat the game today. That ending was...wow. Poor Hoji. Enra didn't even try to fight back in the end. And that scene here Wang kneels down beside the sister...then seeing her lying on the steps with the Nobitsura Kage stuck in the ground next to her...
That was unexpected, I gotta say.

I'm thinking of trying to do heroic mode. Any tips?
I start from 0, so I probably gotta scrounge up some money with secrets.
Playthroughs on heroic count for the insane difficulty 'cheevos, right?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

SSNeoman posted:

I beat the game today. That ending was...wow. Poor Hoji. Enra didn't even try to fight back in the end. And that scene here Wang kneels down beside the sister...then seeing her lying on the steps with the Nobitsura Kage stuck in the ground next to her...
That was unexpected, I gotta say.

The thing that got me was how it got from start to... that. And yet it worked...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is anyone getting any use out of the second ki attack (the spinning one)? It takes too long, by the time I've killed anyone with it they've had the chance to hit me already.

Edit: Wing of Crane is kickass though. Fully charged it one-shots lesser demons and you can get a whole crowd at once (the wave is both broad and penetrating)

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 3, 2013

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Is the game well optimized?

Because Rise of the Triad was a loving nightmare in that department.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Is anyone getting any use out of the second ki attack (the spinning one)? It takes too long, by the time I've killed anyone with it they've had the chance to hit me already.

Once you get the lifedrain on Ki attacks upgrade it becomes really effective because it has a deceptively large AoE so you can dash into the middle of a horde of lesser demons and slice & dice your way back to full hp.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Is anyone else getting a bug on the bridge leading up to Zilla's fortress where your sword does literally nothing? Or is that intentional and I'm a dumbass?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Edit: Wing of Crane is kickass though. Fully charged it one-shots lesser demons and you can get a whole crowd at once (the wave is both broad and penetrating)

I used it a shitload. It boosts the hell out of your rating and as the guy above said in those huge scrums it's basically a free full heal. In those last sections with the sword guys it was extra badass. :black101:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Yodzilla posted:

I just beat the first boss on Insane and holy hell were you guys right about it being tedious. Unless I was really stupid or careless he couldn't really kill me but it took me 25 minutes to bring his rear end down.

Glad I'm not just crazy, then! Finished the final boss on Insane this morning, he was actually the easiest because you can just rock him with the sword while he's vulnerable.

This is a good game. I expected something underwhelming but maybe not as disappointing as Hard Reset, and instead it's just a really fun shooter with surprisingly compelling storytelling and writing. Regarding how to get the best scores in combat, I noticed that I reliably got five stars against any encounter that was all shield dudes, because I would just shoot their arm off with one charged bolt and then blow up their head with another. Other than that, complete toss-up as to whether I'd get anywhere from 3 to 4.5 stars in a fight.

e: Also Bersekers were a huge loving pain for me because I didn't know that you can apparently just Divider of Heaven them in the face to do a ton of damage. Is that intentional or is the attack just going through their body and hitting their weak spot?

Geight fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 3, 2013

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I'm not sure, but in the last patch it said they fixed the Berserker's hitzone. It's a bit too vague but it may be hits weren't registering in the right place which is why that attack did the most damage from the front?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So uh when did I decide to betray Zilla again? I was going after the sword because he'd told me to and I'd be giving it to him, then when I hear he has the third piece I'm suddenly blowing up the twins because I'm "going after Zilla"? Did I miss something?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Zilla sold humanity out to Demons. He's a dick. Lo Wang wants to be a superhero, so saving the world is kind of what he's always dreamed of doing.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I have three thoughts about the game so far:
Why can't I have the sprint button on the opposite hand to melee attack? This is bullshit.

Whenever I spring down a slope I end up shooting out into open space and falling to my death. This is bullshit.

I tried to kill a rabbit. It turned black, started crackling with lightning and began teleporting around kicking my poo poo in while heavy metal started playing. This is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Why can't I have the sprint button on the opposite hand to melee attack? This is bullshit.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you just not like the kick or do you mean something else?

• Locked thread