Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tonic
Jan 4, 2003

hotsauce posted:

AIO is kind of tempting, but I have an unlocked HTC One (T-Mobile). I don't believe it has the proper bands for AT&T's HSPA+ and LTE.

Does anyone know if it will work on AIO?

Yes, it should work perfectly. I am making the switch with the exact same setup so I'll post nonce I get everything setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mister Fister posted:

Yeah i think you do, i tried looking on ebay but i can't find it but i remember someone in the straight talk LTE thread at howardforums and someone mentioned it and i looked it up on ebay and it was there, forgot the dollar amount you have to buy though.

I'll have to give that a strong look after I try out the service. No sense in buying up a years worth of service if I want to switch after a month.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Straight Talk/Net 10 is supposedly adopting a more 'transparent' data use policy:

http://www.phonenews.com/straighttalk-and-net10-officially-adopt-more-transparent-data-policies-24027/

Hope this isn't bullshit, because that'd be awesome if true.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

Straight Talk/Net 10 is supposedly adopting a more 'transparent' data use policy:

http://www.phonenews.com/straighttalk-and-net10-officially-adopt-more-transparent-data-policies-24027/

This is because I bought two GoPhone sims this week.

If they still QoS the crap out of their connection it's not going to be any better, just more clear.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Mister Fister posted:

Their ToS still says:

The NET10 Unlimited Plan MAY NOT be used for certain unauthorized uses that adversely impact our service. Examples of unauthorized uses include, without limitation, the following:
(i) continuous uninterrupted mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls;
(ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address;
(iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of uninterrupted continuous video;
(iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (“P2P”) file sharing; or
(v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. A customer engaged in unauthorized uses may have his/her Service throttled and/or terminated .

If this means they're getting rid of the 100MB a day, then super. But you're still restricted otherwise.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Panic mode ceased, I didn't waste the cash on the sims.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
GoPhone is the best quality prepaid service out there on AT&T, you didn't waste money.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Does anyone have any insight on getting an ATT iPhone 4S iOS7 to work on straight talk?

Wife got a microsim and the phone/SMS works but not mobile data. I've read a lot about the "T Mobile SIM" trick, but I don't have a t-mobile sim. I tried another thing with the iPhone configurator to create new APN settings, which worked, but I don't know that I could delete the default APN settings off the phone.

Anyone have any ideas? In the meantime I'm just looking for another ATT band android phone since that's what she wants anyway, the iPhone was just cheap.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

dreesemonkey posted:

Does anyone have any insight on getting an ATT iPhone 4S iOS7 to work on straight talk?

Wife got a microsim and the phone/SMS works but not mobile data. I've read a lot about the "T Mobile SIM" trick, but I don't have a t-mobile sim. I tried another thing with the iPhone configurator to create new APN settings, which worked, but I don't know that I could delete the default APN settings off the phone.

Anyone have any ideas? In the meantime I'm just looking for another ATT band android phone since that's what she wants anyway, the iPhone was just cheap.

SB35 posted:

Net10 or StraightTalk on a non-jailbroken iPhone is easy. You just need https://iapnupdatetfdata.straighttalk.com visit that with safari and allow it to install the profile. Restart and good to go.

Yeah, MMS probably doesn't work unless you can do the SIM swap trick. No guarantee that works on iOS7 though, I haven't tried it, though if you do it on iOS6 I'd assume it would carry over. If you can just use iMessage or other chat apps then you don't have to worry about stupid MMS anyway.

Quoting myself here because I answered this question before.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

SB35 posted:

Quoting myself here because I answered this question before.

Thanks. I sent that to my wife earlier today but she said she couldn't get it to work, so I'll try it next time I have the phone in front of me. I don't think she really cares about MMS too much so that's not a priority.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

Thanks. I sent that to my wife earlier today but she said she couldn't get it to work, so I'll try it next time I have the phone in front of me. I don't think she really cares about MMS too much so that's not a priority.

Gotta do it with safari browser. If the straighttalk url doesn't work there's always http://www.unlockit.co.nz/, visit that with safari, click create APN, select the correct APN Straight Talk (AT&T) or (T-Mobile), and install. Restart and good to go.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

SB35 posted:

Gotta do it with safari browser. If the straighttalk url doesn't work there's always http://www.unlockit.co.nz/, visit that with safari, click create APN, select the correct APN Straight Talk (AT&T) or (T-Mobile), and install. Restart and good to go.

Cool she said it now works, she might not have restarted the phone or something. I think she can live without MMS for now, it doesn't look like it works reliably with iOS7 even with the sim card swap trick so I'll have to check occasionally if there are any workarounds yet.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

So i'm looking at making the change to Ting from Verizon later this week. I ordered a sprint S3 from Glyde for $220. I have 3 lines on my contract but right now only my line is out of contract so to kind of test the waters without making a huge plunge I am going to use it till around February then make a final decision for the other two lines.

I am seeing the best money saver is to port my current verizon number to google voice and having ting just assign me a number, is the general consensus for someone that uses very little minutes and texts to do the groove ip + groove forwarder still? I am usually at work or at home when I make phone calls so WiFi is available.

I always tried to get people to text my GVoice # so i didn't need a texting plan but :shrug:

Edit: Glyde canceled my S3 order then the price jumped up to $380 :fuckoff: so I ended up with a Samsung Galaxy Nexus from swappa.

Photex fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 1, 2013

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died

Mister Fister posted:

The only plan this mentions for ST is the $60 international plan.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Target Brightspot, $35/month unlimited talk/text, $50/month with 1 gb of data on TMobile. Plus some interesting discounts ($25 gift card every six months, 5% discount for Target credit card holders).
http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/10/2/4796568/target-officially-unveils-brightspot-a-prepaid-wireless-program-to

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I did the math, and as a regular Target shopper who already has a Target Card, the cost comes out to $43.33 a month (5% off the $50 and $25/6 subtracted each month, since I'm gonna spend that money anyway).

Maybe we're seeing the downfall of the 2 year contract in front of our very eyes.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Maybe we're seeing the downfall of the 2 year contract in front of our very eyes.

With T-Mobile's Uncarrier plans and the introduction of Jump, Next, Edge, etc I do believe we are starting to see this more. Plus with some awesome new MVNOs, I think this is what it will finally take to get Verizon and AT&T to lower their plans.

Also, FreedomPop (Sprint MVNO who was popular with the hotspots a while back) introduced a free-for-life plan if buy their lovely Evo Design, or $11/month for unlimited calls and text.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

So I did the math, and as a regular Target shopper who already has a Target Card, the cost comes out to $43.33 a month (5% off the $50 and $25/6 subtracted each month, since I'm gonna spend that money anyway).

Straight talk is still cheaper, you save $30 over six months that you can spend anywhere (not only Target). Plus AT&T coverage is an option.

That said, I'm all about more choices and the downfall of the 2 year contract plans.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So uh... switched to Solavei.

T-Mobile MVNO with a :tinfoil: MLM marketing setup that I'm not entirely comfortable with, at least not comfortable reselling yet. I'm not a sales guy, and I don't really plan to try to sell it.

But I just found something very attractive. You can do no-answer/not reachable/busy call forwarding. T-Mo prepaid won't do that, neither will Metro. Just finished forwarding to GV.

The only thing I miss about Sprint was having native Google Voice support. This is almost as good. :neckbeard:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 3, 2013

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

We're probably still in the super early stages, I don't imagine there will be a huge shift for a few years yet if the trend continues.

As many people as I've told about straight talk (away from the computer), most thought it was a great idea and as far as I know none of them have followed through. They're either "under contract" or "need a new phone" or are just too intimidated by the process of not having a corporation hand hold (and gouge you) every step of the way. Usually they'll find every excuse they can find to not switch like "well if do switch then I'll have to buy a new iPhone for $600! See, I'm saving money!"

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
To be honest, so long as people are under contract and get a decent deal from the carrier when the hot new Samsung or Apple phone comes out, most people will never willingly get off their contracts, even if it would mean saving thousands of dollars over the life of the contract. It's too hard to forego buying the latest device, too hard to wait for 2 years to be contract free, and too tempting to upgrade to a hot new device for "only" $199. I'm in the human behavior field and it's a great example of how most people are unable to forego a short term reward for a long term reward.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
For straight talk users, i purchased a 3 month unlimited card for $109.99 from gamekeyplanet on ebay (howardforums have confirmed it's a legit seller, it has lots of feedback and a long history too).

That works out to about $36 a month for unlimited talk/text/2.5 gig data (LTE).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

We're probably still in the super early stages, I don't imagine there will be a huge shift for a few years yet if the trend continues.

As many people as I've told about straight talk (away from the computer), most thought it was a great idea and as far as I know none of them have followed through. They're either "under contract" or "need a new phone" or are just too intimidated by the process of not having a corporation hand hold (and gouge you) every step of the way. Usually they'll find every excuse they can find to not switch like "well if do switch then I'll have to buy a new iPhone for $600! See, I'm saving money!"

My family still can't believe I paid $388.49 for my Nexus 4 16GB. They're so used to paying free - $50 for a phone from Cricket and Boost Mobile that to pay anything above $50 for a phone is simply unheard of.

People don't understand the benefits of GSM such as switching carriers when you want and taking your phone with you. When I mentioned how I was switching carriers from one to another, the unanimous "warning" was "Now you'll have to buy a whole new phone." The concept of a SIM card was hard to grasp...even after I showed them one.

I work for ShopNBC and I previously worked for HSN, these reactions are pretty common. The only time a GSM phone sells on those networks is from someone who already has a GSM carrier (which is usually T-Mobile). Otherwise, no one calls because they simply don't understand the technology.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
Well, I have been trying Ting. I don't know if it is my Evo 3d or a ROM I put on it or what but I am not getting calls or texts. Maybe that's just a Sprint thing (though I never had that issue before).

Lined up a T Mobile HTC One for 300 dollars. Going to switch to the 30 dollar a month plan since vonage works really really well, at least for me. Hopefully I get better service.

Lots of people still on the 30 dollar a month? T Mobile as bad as Sprint or better?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I'm on the TMo $30 prepaid plan, and I just came in from Sprint. Basically, Sprint was total garbage in large cities (Houston, San Antonio, Miami), and TMo is an improvement in every way.

Vonage is a good solution when you don't have minutes, but the Vonage app only does free outgoing calls. What do you plan to do for incoming calls?

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

bobfather posted:

What do you plan to do for incoming calls?

No one likes me enough to call me more than 100 minutes per month. My lifestyle is perfect for this plan.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

atomicvocabulary posted:

No one likes me enough to call me more than 100 minutes per month. My lifestyle is perfect for this plan.

Well providing someone does like you enough, you could just answer and say "hey, I'll call you back". Then make the call with your Vonage, thus continuing to save minutes.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I wish Tmo had more balanced plans at that $30-35 price point, something like 700 minutes with 1GB data would be great.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The funny thing about the $30 plan is that with the 100 minute limitation, they have compelled me and a lot of other people to get a VOIP implementation that works spectacularly where there's data coverage. I honestly drop calls less with TMo using VOIP than I ever did on Sprint, even in a city with Sprint LTE coverage.

Also, the codecs out for VOIP like ILBC blow GSM audio codecs away in terms of data use and call quality. My VOIP calls sound better than my regular phone calls, most of the time.

I would be perfectly content with a $20 plan from TMo that was 50 minutes of talk and 2GB of data, actually.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lblitzer posted:

With T-Mobile's Uncarrier plans and the introduction of Jump, Next, Edge, etc I do believe we are starting to see this more. Plus with some awesome new MVNOs, I think this is what it will finally take to get Verizon and AT&T to lower their plans.

We'll likely see data caps raised before we see prices lowered by AT&T or Verizon.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

bobfather posted:

Vonage is a good solution when you don't have minutes, but the Vonage app only does free outgoing calls. What do you plan to do for incoming calls?

Am I reading the app wrong, it says free calls are only to other vonage users (I'm not in wifi, just 3G if that matters)

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

savesthedayrocks posted:

Am I reading the app wrong, it says free calls are only to other vonage users (I'm not in wifi, just 3G if that matters)

It's free outgoing calls to any US number. It rings as your native number, and I believe it uses G729 for the call codec so it even works well on 4G/LTE.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Is there a decent VOIP client for android? I use GV forwarding as my primary number so that's not a problem. I have the ultra poverty TMo plan to slake my unquenchable thirst for frugality but it appears I run outa minutes like immediately. We're talking like a couple days and I'm re-upping.

I spend most of my time on WiFi. When I'm at home I make my outgoing calls via the Gmail call button thing but at work, and sometimes even when I'm home but GMail is being dumb as hell and not ringing for whatever the loving dumbass reason IDK.

Anyways:

GrooveIP : SUPER POS loving bugged out all the time totally worthless

Talkatone : MEGA POS I paid for the MAster Super Pro Codecs and it still sounded like dog_shit not to mention it like spammed my "status" (?) to like "YEA DOGS IM USING TALKATON!!!!!" so I had to uninstall it and then I wrote a long rear end tirade on their Play Store page w/ a big fat 1 STAR rating.

Anyways, is there a decent VOIP client that my GV will ring? Should I have GV forward to a paid Skype acc? IDK

I got a Nexus 4 totally stock NO ROMS NO HACKS NO WIDGETS!

e: I will pay, literally, tens of dollars for this app!!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Here's an Android softphone, and here's how you get GV to ring on it. For free.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 5, 2013

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

Smythe posted:

e: I will pay, literally, tens of dollars for this app!!

Would this tactic with the Vonage app work for you? It's free w/ outbound calls.

SB35 posted:

Well providing someone does like you enough, you could just answer and say "hey, I'll call you back". Then make the call with your Vonage, thus continuing to save minutes.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Mo+ is another GV VOIP app like Talktone, but it's currently in beta. It seems to have good reviews, and while I've never used it, personally, it's free so you have literally nothing to lose. If it sucks you can always switch to Vonage.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Your AIO month doesn't start till you "activate it, right?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

TLG James posted:

Your AIO month doesn't start till you "activate it, right?

Yes. I waited a couple days after receiving the SIM to let my credit on T-Mo run out and still ended up with 30 days of service.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

tonic posted:

Yes. I waited a couple days after receiving the SIM to let my credit on T-Mo run out and still ended up with 30 days of service.

Not to stalk you, but your unlocked T-Mo One works fine (LTE and all) on AIO, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

Here's an Android softphone, and here's how you get GV to ring on it. For free.

Thanks for the VOIP suggestions yall. This is my first time loving around with SIP phone but it's really neat. It's like, SUPER GV! or something.

Anyways, in case someone else is out there loving around with this stuff for some reason: pbxes.org wouldn't ring me, so I ended up getting linphone as a test client for my PC but it also had a pbx server wizard bundled with it - so I just had the IPKall# redirect to the linphone pbx instead and viola! works great! Thanks everybody!

The client even looks decent too, which is a definite plus, not to mention pretty rare outside of Google-maintained apps.

• Locked thread