Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Kaal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGLqnzSMc5g

Yeah it's real-deal graffiti. It looks like there's a small crew of taggers that went off the truther reservation and are putting them up everywhere. There's some sweet art, but it should be going up on a graffiti wall not a freeway overpass.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/22902255/dot-officials-trying-to-stop-911-graffiti-on-bridges-overpasses--------OK
We miss all the fun down here in Fairfield County. I'm kind of impressed by how well they're able to paint while standing on the edge of the I-beams, but you have to be a special kind of idiot to do that. I guess that's what you get when you combine thrill seekers young enough to think they're invincible with a movement that's desperately trying to convince itself as much as anyone else that it's still relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hedera Helix posted:

What would it be called, in that instance? And at what sizes does a roundabout start being poorly designed? Or going in the other direction, at what size does it start being called a traffic island?

Well the primary use case for a roundabout is for relatively low traffic circumstances, with somewhat balanced loads from all sides. Additionally, it should be constricting enough that traffic speeds throughout stay relatively low. Once you start having things like massive loads on only a few sides of it, or you're trying to push through enough traffic that having like 4 lanes in the roundabout is necessary, you've pretty much either outgrown or completely misimplemented the roundabout, and it should be replaced by something else.

Often, this will take the form of punching through a more or less freeflowing path for the major road through the center, while retaining the rest of the circle format to handle movements into and out of the minor roads. Other times the situation will demand building a fully grade separated interchange, usually only when the two roads are both very heavily used.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
Though I don't really have any questions, I'd just like to say I find traffic engineering and the like to be quite fascinating (though I don't know if I could ever make a job out of it). I often find myself analyzing the various traffic setups around town. And I don't mean just the lights, I mean the shapes of the roads and the frequencies at which traffic lights change and how engineers had to figure out how best to set everything up and analyze it over time to make traffic flow as smoothly as possible. It's really awesome and I just wanted to let the OP know that I ponder these things a lot while I drive. It's especially fun to think about these things where I live (Tallahassee), where the city planning is absolutely atrocious and confusingly abnormal.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2013/09/19/champagne-spill-no-celebration-for-i-395-drivers/

quote:

It was a case of “the party’s over” before it even got started after an accident on Interstate 395 in Griswold, Connecticut, Wednesday. State Police say a tractor trailer carrying champagne hit a state DOT crash truck, spilling its cargo.

A Department of Transportation truck was parked in the northbound travel lanes near exit 85, performing highway maintenance, when it was hit from the rear by the Freightliner driven by 56-year-old William Wronski of Blackstone, Maryland. Police say the Freightliner rolled onto the driver’s side and the trailer broke open, spilling the contents across the roadway. Both drivers were taken to the hospital with what were described as minor injuries.

Interstate 395 northbound was closed for hours time while a cleanup crew was called in to remove the champagne.
I know we don't hear anything from MTA about injuries unless they're fatal, did you happen to hear anything about whether the workers were OK?

edit: the Daily Mail, of all places, says the driver of the truck and the vehicle he hit were both treated for minor injuries at the scene, as was a man who walked up the hill by the crash for a closer look and quickly fell back down the hill.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 29, 2013

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

GWBBQ posted:

http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2013/09/19/champagne-spill-no-celebration-for-i-395-drivers/

I know we don't hear anything from MTA about injuries unless they're fatal, did you happen to hear anything about whether the workers were OK?

edit: the Daily Mail, of all places, says the driver of the truck and the vehicle he hit were both treated for minor injuries at the scene, as was a man who walked up the hill by the crash for a closer look and quickly fell back down the hill.

Haha, I haven't heard anything about it, but I'm sure I'll find a mass email from the commissioner tomorrow. Those crash trucks are really something; they can deflect a semitrailer with only minor injuries for both parties. Or partiers, in this case. "I just wrecked millions of dollars of equipment! Let's break out the fancy glasses!"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cichlidae posted:

Those crash trucks are really something; they can deflect a semitrailer with only minor injuries for both parties.

Link? I'm not sure I know what you're referring to. At least I can't picture it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

PittTheElder posted:

Link? I'm not sure I know what you're referring to. At least I can't picture it.

Various flavors of these badboys:

https://www.google.com/search?q=truck%20mounted%20attenuator

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
I think it looks something like this:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

GWBBQ posted:

I want to believe the man climbing the hill fainted at the sight of the broken champagne bottles when he crested the hill.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We were in the Bay Area the last couple of weeks, and went over the fancy new Bay Bridge. One thing they have that I've never seen before is traffic lights on each lane, after the toll booths, that control the merges. They work like onramp lights, where one car goes for each green. It works well to reduce down from 15 or so toll booths to 5-6 travel lanes, but I don't understand why they didn't redesign the whole thing if they were spending billions on a new bridge. Automated high-speed tolling seems to be the obvious way of the future, and the Golden Gate bridge has already gone to it.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Just curious as to what you think of the new I-93 junction at the Rockingham Mall. I just drove from the mall southbound (towards 213) for the very first time last week and I have to say, as someone who really appreciates driving for what it is, the onramp that swings you right over the entire highway is beautiful.

I tend to take Rt. 28 all the way to where it meets up with 213 but the other day I had a change of heart and decided to take the highway.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Modern Marvels was on the History Channel today, and I saw that the US apparently uses huge blocks of polystyrene foam as a stabilizer when the soil isn't firm enough to support a roadway (or as a support medium in bridges). Supposedly the foam blocks weigh ~2-3% of the equivalent volume of dirt and provide as much support for the asphalt and vehicles above.

Who knows when this documentary was produced, but is this still true? Does it vary from state to state? Do other countries do this as well?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Grundulum posted:

Modern Marvels was on the History Channel today, and I saw that the US apparently uses huge blocks of polystyrene foam as a stabilizer when the soil isn't firm enough to support a roadway (or as a support medium in bridges). Supposedly the foam blocks weigh ~2-3% of the equivalent volume of dirt and provide as much support for the asphalt and vehicles above.

Who knows when this documentary was produced, but is this still true? Does it vary from state to state? Do other countries do this as well?

Wow, that's pretty wild:
http://www.civil.utah.edu/~bartlett/Geofoam/EPS%20Geofoam%20Applications%20&%20Technical%20Data.pdf

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's pretty cool but how is it for the environment??

Also I want a small team of dudes to make a life size great pyramid model out of pyramid-block sized foam mega-bricks.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Very cool. Definitely have never noticed one of those around here though.

Baronjutter posted:

That's pretty cool but how is it for the environment??

Probably fine? The big complaint about styrofoam and plastic is that they basically last forever, but if it's encased under a road, I don't see why that would be an issue. The real problem is what happens if they tear up the road and inevitably nobody will want to pay for cleanup, but that's hardly unique to this case.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There was talk about the Dutch approach to bicycles before in this thread. Well, The Boston Globe did a piece about that.

Article with photos
Video with some explanations by Dutch traffic folks. Please accept my humble apologies for the horrible English showcased by my fellow countrypeople.

And they translated part of a bicycle theory exam 6th graders often take (no, it's not obligatory). You can try the exam here, if you like. However, it seems the Boston Globe folks lost a lot of subtleties here. Some of their answers are completely wrong except in some specific situations, and the picture are too small to see what's happening. There's also at least one case where the answer is not backed up by law, it's just the common interpretation of a certain situation.

I could talk a bit more about that if you like, but I think there's other Dutch people following this thread who are better at pointing out errors than I am.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Yeah Q5 looks wrong to me since it should be a clear-cut case of 'rechtdoor gaat voor', plus it's a moped (snorfiets), not a scooter (bromfiets etc.), so it's allowed to be on the bikelane anyway.

I don't believe there are any rules concerning rain, as Q8 seems to imply, rather, it's all about visibility conditions.

Can't stand to watch the video, Dunglish :gonk:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Question: "This truck intends to turn right at the intersection. The moped rider intends to travel straight through the intersection. Who must yield the right of way?"

Answer: "The moped rider must wait for the truck to turn right before crossing the intersection."

Hmm, interesting. I forgot to rehost the picture and I'm getting paywalled, but I noticed the bikepath didn't extend further on the intersection. Is this why the truck had priority? Or the Boston Globe got that one wrong. We have this sign in Belgium:

Which I think means that you let the cyclist pass before making your turn. At least, that's what I always do.

Also, as a Vlaming, I'll never not laugh at a Dutch person speaking English.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

mamosodiumku posted:

I think it looks something like this:

We have special ones in Connecticut - they work super well, and are very easy to replace. Have a look.

The champagne story didn't make the news here, at least from what I've seen, but there are pictures all over the web.

FFStudios posted:

Just curious as to what you think of the new I-93 junction at the Rockingham Mall. I just drove from the mall southbound (towards 213) for the very first time last week and I have to say, as someone who really appreciates driving for what it is, the onramp that swings you right over the entire highway is beautiful.

I tend to take Rt. 28 all the way to where it meets up with 213 but the other day I had a change of heart and decided to take the highway.

Have a map for me? I try to avoid driving anywhere near Boston if I can help it.

Grundulum posted:

It is true. Rhode Island DOT used it on the Route 403 project, though, from what my professor said, it wasn't anchored well vs. sideslip and ended up with some crazy differential settlement. Structural foam's already in wide use for building construction, so it's only natural to use it for embankments as well.

Fragrag posted:

Also, as a Vlaming, I'll never not laugh at a Dutch person speaking English.

Ahh, I miss Belgium so so badly. I'd love to live there someday, provided I can find a job. I can even make a decent half-assed attempt at Flemish.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Fragrag posted:

Or the Boston Globe got that one wrong. We have this sign in Belgium:

Which I think means that you let the cyclist pass before making your turn. At least, that's what I always do.

Well I'm sure they got the answer wrong.

If anything the sign you posted is meant as a warning and only reinforces the rule right? (I'm not well versed in Belgian road law but I gather it's the same rechtdoor gaat voor stuff like here)

Cichlidae posted:

Ahh, I miss Belgium so so badly. I'd love to live there someday, provided I can find a job. I can even make a decent half-assed attempt at Flemish.

I'd say come on over to the clog side but the big glut in infrastructure investment is receding.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005
Hi Cichlidae, I browsed through this entire thread over the course of what was probably a long time (didn't read every single post since a lot of them were Connecticut-specific and I wasn't interested in them). Anyway, just wanted to say that whenever someone brought up an interchange on the Parkway East in Pittsburgh back in 2011, and you said to change it to a simple trumpet interchange, well you can't. The parkway is set inside a narrow valley or gulley of some kind so there's no room to do anything, although it's not apparent from the satellite view.

If someone asks you to do something about a Pittsburgh layout problem, the answer is No. Cause of the terrain. Nothing you can do, I'm sorry. Please fix us. We have so many folds in our poor city, we have no choice :(

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Grundulum posted:

We use it in Canada too. Throw down a bunch of those blocks, cover it in dirt. Bam, overpass!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

One other thing about the quiz is that the 'fietsstraat' has no basis in law. Those signs aren't even in the official road rules thing.

Dutch link, check 'juridisch'. So I have no idea how they decide what the rules on these streets are other than by common interpretation. Apparently, Belgium does have a law about the bike streets.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

quote:

Cichlidae posted:

Haha, I haven't heard anything about it, but I'm sure I'll find a mass email from the commissioner tomorrow. Those crash trucks are really something; they can deflect a semitrailer with only minor injuries for both parties. Or partiers, in this case. "I just wrecked millions of dollars of equipment! Let's break out the fancy glasses!"
I looked it up and the highway speed crash tests are amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSoqHeI-Omg

Fragrag posted:

I want to believe the man climbing the hill fainted at the sight of the broken champagne bottles when he crested the hill.
Maybe if it was Fairfield County

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cichlidae: I just stumbled across this
http://jliszka.github.io/2013/10/01/how-traffic-actually-works.html

What's your take?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Never letting anyone merge in front of you would be illegal, and an rear end in a top hat thing to do.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

quote:

there is a limit to the number of cars that can pass by a given point on the highway in a given amount of time, and that limit is one car every 2 seconds, per lane

Not entirely true. While real-world gains are probably marginal, even the models we use locally take into account that there can be more than 0.5 vehicle per lane per second nowadays. People have adapted to heavier traffic conditions by driving closer to each other at the same speed here in the Netherlands.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Koesj posted:

Not entirely true. While real-world gains are probably marginal, even the models we use locally take into account that there can be more than 0.5 vehicle per lane per second nowadays. People have adapted to heavier traffic conditions by driving closer to each other at the same speed here in the Netherlands.

Isn't that where all these 50+ car pile ups come from? I always find my self driving at least 2-3x farther away than anyone else on the highway, and I think my distance is the absolute 2 second minimum. Anything shorter and you can't stop in time if the motorcycle in front of you slams on the breaks and beats you up.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Isn't that where all these 50+ car pile ups come from?

Our accident rate is pretty low as it is. I can't find anything else outside mortality figures at the moment but take a look at this graph:

Persons killed per million inhabitants, 2008.

The US should be up there between Latvia and Slovenia with somewhat more than 100 fatalities per mio. IIRC.

Anyway, I've seen enough cases in the Netherlands where 2150 vehicles (car equivalents) per hour was the basis for LOS calculations instead of the 1800 you'd get with 1 car per 2 seconds. That's a 20% paper increase in capacity right there.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Yad Rock posted:

Hi Cichlidae, I browsed through this entire thread over the course of what was probably a long time (didn't read every single post since a lot of them were Connecticut-specific and I wasn't interested in them). Anyway, just wanted to say that whenever someone brought up an interchange on the Parkway East in Pittsburgh back in 2011, and you said to change it to a simple trumpet interchange, well you can't. The parkway is set inside a narrow valley or gulley of some kind so there's no room to do anything, although it's not apparent from the satellite view.

If someone asks you to do something about a Pittsburgh layout problem, the answer is No. Cause of the terrain. Nothing you can do, I'm sorry. Please fix us. We have so many folds in our poor city, we have no choice :(

That's why we invented dynamite, right? :jeb:

ConfusedUs posted:

Cichlidae: I just stumbled across this
http://jliszka.github.io/2013/10/01/how-traffic-actually-works.html

What's your take?

It's all absolutely factual, regardless of what judgments you might want to make. The whole impetus for ramp metering is to keep the freeway at LOS E (right at the tip of those flow graphs), because once it hits F, your capacity and throughput go down the drain.

As for merging, think of it like you're all waiting in the security line at an airport. The line is split into two, but they all have to go through the same metal detector. Nothing you do is going to increase the number of people going through the detector, but you can decrease your wait in line by being pushy or choosing the shortest of the two lines. It's not very nice, but it works.

Baronjutter posted:

Never letting anyone merge in front of you would be illegal, and an rear end in a top hat thing to do.

It's not illegal in and of itself; it's all about how you go about it. In stop-and-go traffic, if you stay glued to the car in front of you, there's nothing against the law about that. rear end in a top hat, though, I definitely agree.

Koesj posted:

He mentions a bit later that it's 1.5-2.0, but he rounds to 2 to make things simpler. Around here, saturation flow rate is 1850vphpl or so (1.95s/veh) for mixed traffic, and flow at LOS E is about 2300vphpl (1.57s/veh). It's significantly lower in rural areas and significantly higher in urban; around Boston or New York, the flows probably approach 3000vphpl for passenger cars.

Baronjutter posted:

Isn't that where all these 50+ car pile ups come from? I always find my self driving at least 2-3x farther away than anyone else on the highway, and I think my distance is the absolute 2 second minimum. Anything shorter and you can't stop in time if the motorcycle in front of you slams on the breaks and beats you up.

Leaving a gap won't work in New England: someone is guaranteed to merge right in front of you. If the gap is more than about 2.5 seconds, it's not going to be a gap for long. In that case, you're forced to go much slower than prevailing traffic to maintain a gap, and you're going to get nastily rear-ended.

Koesj posted:

Our accident rate is pretty low as it is. I can't find anything else outside mortality figures at the moment but take a look at this graph:

Persons killed per million inhabitants, 2008.

The US should be up there between Latvia and Slovenia with somewhat more than 100 fatalities per mio. IIRC.

Anyway, I've seen enough cases in the Netherlands where 2150 vehicles (car equivalents) per hour was the basis for LOS calculations instead of the 1800 you'd get with 1 car per 2 seconds. That's a 20% paper increase in capacity right there.

Fatalities per million inhabitants isn't a very good metric. The results are artificially low for countries with low car ownership or low vehicle miles per person (Malta, for example.) Fatalities per million registered drivers is slightly better. Fatalities per hundred million vehicle miles is much better.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Ah okay I missed the part where he put some more nuance to his figures, guess I was too quick to nitpick. You're also right about the accident metrics of course.

But wow possibly up to 3000vphpl, even if it's just a ballpark guess it's something I hadn't heard before.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Cichlidae posted:

Have a map for me? I try to avoid driving anywhere near Boston if I can help it.

Surprise, this is near Salem, NH.

The map doesn't really do it justice as to the way it looks in person.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

What is it about road projects that makes them take years and years on end? Are they technically demanding, in terms of construction, are they operationally difficult, because you have to keep what you're working on simultaneously open, or are they just corrupt to the bone, with six hour workweeks?

Also; do you have a variable in traffic studies for braindead idiots who can't be asked to do anything but hit their hazard lights and panic when it starts to rain?

I ask because Miami just robbed me of an hour and a half of my life to go twenty two miles, twenty of which are on highways...

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I just drove by it this weekend (the I-93 thing), it really is impressive, for a directional wye.

But they're doing a lot more work on 93 in that area. Are we finally going to have six lanes up to Derry?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

MrYenko posted:

What is it about road projects that makes them take years and years on end? Are they technically demanding, in terms of construction, are they operationally difficult, because you have to keep what you're working on simultaneously open, or are they just corrupt to the bone, with six hour workweeks?

Also; do you have a variable in traffic studies for braindead idiots who can't be asked to do anything but hit their hazard lights and panic when it starts to rain?

I ask because Miami just robbed me of an hour and a half of my life to go twenty two miles, twenty of which are on highways...

Having worked next some road crews: building a road is tough, and slow going. You've gotta cut down to subgrade and get that dirt out of there. Then you bring dirt back in to get your subgrade. Compact and level that. Get it inspected. Then bring in your base course. Compact and level that. Get that inspected, as well. Then your base pavement layer, then finish pavement layer. Once that's done, you have to do all the other stuff that facilitates using the pavement: lines, signs, reflectors, posts, curbs, edging, grooving, etc.

And it just takes a long time. Compacting machines move at (if you're lucky) 1mph. So you could completely compact 8 miles of one lane in a day. That goes for pretty much any of the machines out there. The pavement machines drop down about 75% of a lane of pavement, and move at a slow walk. So if you've got three lanes of pavement and one machine, you're making four or five passes. How long would it take you to walk 80 miles at the same speed you'd use to sweep a floor? That's AFTER everything else is done.

This doesn't even take into account the earthworks before the grading of the road. Or overpasses/bridges/culverts.

Road crews aren't lazy; roads aren't simple.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Having worked next some road crews: building a road is tough, and slow going. You've gotta cut down to subgrade and get that dirt out of there. Then you bring dirt back in to get your subgrade. Compact and level that. Get it inspected. Then bring in your base course. Compact and level that. Get that inspected, as well. Then your base pavement layer, then finish pavement layer. Once that's done, you have to do all the other stuff that facilitates using the pavement: lines, signs, reflectors, posts, curbs, edging, grooving, etc.

And it just takes a long time. Compacting machines move at (if you're lucky) 1mph. So you could completely compact 8 miles of one lane in a day. That goes for pretty much any of the machines out there. The pavement machines drop down about 75% of a lane of pavement, and move at a slow walk. So if you've got three lanes of pavement and one machine, you're making four or five passes. How long would it take you to walk 80 miles at the same speed you'd use to sweep a floor? That's AFTER everything else is done.

This doesn't even take into account the earthworks before the grading of the road. Or overpasses/bridges/culverts.

Road crews aren't lazy; roads aren't simple.

Good answer. Also worth noting that with unlimited manpower and lots of machines you could get it done pretty fast but contracting companies can't really hire thousands of skilled workers for a week and them dump them, and you still might have to wait for ground to settle, various engineering items to be manufactured (E.G. Bridge beams, barriers) inevitable delivery delays, etc.

Timing of construction works is run on Critical path method which in a nutshell consists of "work out the vital things that have to be done in order (The critical path), then arrange the items that can be done at any time around that." This then forms the basis for how many workers, machinery, etc, is required. (I'm not totally up on how it works in practice)

E: Gantt Charts are a cool way of seeing the critical path. One of the recent projects I worked on had one that covered three-quarters of a Portacom office wall.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 3, 2013

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
That ties into something I've wondered about before: how much does the local area's ability to produce asphalt and concrete affect the time you can build stuff in?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

That ties into something I've wondered about before: how much does the local area's ability to produce asphalt and concrete affect the time you can build stuff in?

I thought you could transport concrete quite far with those mixer trucks, but Wikipedia says that even when it's constantly stirred, it has to be used in 90 minutes. Those things aren't too fast, so a max radius of perhaps 100 - 150 km from the plant? So you need a plant for every 200 km wide area, which isn't a problem for urban areas, but I can see that being a problem for the really rural parts.

I guess you could always just mix the cement powder and water on the spot if you need to, that would remove any distance limits on transport.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Carbon dioxide posted:

I guess you could always just mix the cement powder and water on the spot if you need to, that would remove any distance limits on transport.

Yeah, but I don't think you want to do that for any larger projects like road construction.

I was once at a party with a man whose line of business was building cement factories in developing countries. You'd be amazed at how much money is to be made in that, but the challenge seemed to be to get permits from the local government, because it has some environmental impact. Apparently, he'd become quite expert at bribery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Carbon dioxide posted:

I thought you could transport concrete quite far with those mixer trucks, but Wikipedia says that even when it's constantly stirred, it has to be used in 90 minutes. Those things aren't too fast, so a max radius of perhaps 100 - 150 km from the plant? So you need a plant for every 200 km wide area, which isn't a problem for urban areas, but I can see that being a problem for the really rural parts.

Concrete mixing plants come on wheels, too!

For big jobs:

For small: