Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Lord Yod posted:

It feels like the way things are now, the stinger is meant to just sort of annoy choppers enough to make them go away. If you make a concerted effort between a recon and a couple engineers you can definitely take out any pilots dumb enough to stick around though.

Oh yeah. The goon crew was making GBS threads on all skylords, one recon is all it takes for the air to light up with RPG trails... :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Tarranon posted:

I dunno if it's just because rockets are faster or tank drivers are dumber at the moment but goddamn I've been having so much fun playing engineer, and it was my least favorite class in BF3. so many baller moments

Its because rockets kick like a mule now. Even if you don't kill them you can temporary disable tanks by hitting them in the right spots

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tarranon posted:

I dunno if it's just because rockets are faster or tank drivers are dumber at the moment but goddamn I've been having so much fun playing engineer, and it was my least favorite class in BF3. so many baller moments

Seconding this. The RPGs actually seem to put the hurt on tanks now-and with mobility kills being a thing now, it's even more fun. The AK5C being a ridiculous murderbeast doesn't hurt things, either.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Batham posted:

You're right, invincible autist chariots are much better for everyone.

Everyone who wants air vehicles to be balanced apparently wants them to be invincible!

I was kind of responding to a person who literally said that any change that makes pilots mad is good for the game. I'm pretty sure there's a way to make air vehicles something in between invincible and poo poo. Since right now choppers are pretty meh with two infantry AA weapons. I assume maps will eventually have jets/mobile AA/multiple lock on weapons and not have a LOS break every three feet.

In any event the SOFLAM/RPG being as powerful as it is makes all other launchers planned pointless. How in the world is that a good thing?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Me playing engineer is basically my sweaty face muttering "yeah show me that big fat tank butt" and then knocking most of their health out. I LOVE that you can tell how much damage you actually did instantly when you hit a vehicle. I already know the best place to hit tanks, but seeing that 55 damage from a single rocket feels so good.

ed: also choppers feel alright, I was gunning for an alright pilot and we stayed up for awhile while playing aggressively and flying between buildings. I'm not a pilot though, so

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 3, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So I am assuming the longer you charge a defib the more health the person you revive starts with?

I'm also having so much trouble with games where you are just dying no matter where you spawn and lose every team engagement. Same problem in BF3 though.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Someone was saying earlier that flares don't break the designator lock. That's not true, the designator starts to lock onto random flares until the helicopter flies far enough away from them or they burn out. At least if you're below the thing. No idea what the RPG projectile does at that point, but my buddy said he missed a couple shots because of it.

And after 4 rounds of swapping back and forth with a friend on Recon/Engineer designating/blowing poo poo up, not really sure why the stinger is in the game. It's pretty much the same stinger from BF3 (worthless). The projectile is much faster though so at least there's that!

Almost all the games I've played have been pretty evenly matched, finishing up within 100 tickets of each other usually, we'll see what happens during the open beta.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Its annoying how despite having engie as my default class in Battlelog, I always spawn as a medic. Also the one time I set up all my classes in Battlelog, every class unequipped it's attachments. And finally, I can accept revives for anything. I can move and shoot, but that's it. Hitting the accept button (set to "y" key) does nothing. Left click does nothing.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Its annoying how despite having engie as my default class in Battlelog, I always spawn as a medic. Also the one time I set up all my classes in Battlelog, every class unequipped it's attachments. And finally, I can accept revives for anything. I can move and shoot, but that's it. Hitting the accept button (set to "y" key) does nothing. Left click does nothing.

You choose your class before you spawn in the bar near the top of the spawn menu.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Was having a lot of fun and now I seem to be randomly crashing yaaaay. Ugh, I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a preorder and then this happens.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Tarranon posted:

Was having a lot of fun and now I seem to be randomly crashing yaaaay. Ugh, I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a preorder and then this happens.

It's a beta dude. It is to test server load don't judge game performance or stability with it. See: BF3 beta/release

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not to be the guy to complain about server performance in a beta, but did everything just die for everyone else?

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

^^^^yes

As someone who maxed out attack choppers piloting in bf3 I can say that they feel good enough in this game. They've been modified a bit, I feel like it's more responsive but with less engine power. With decent gunner you can still tear poo poo up, if you don't have a skilled pilot/gunner pair tough it's very difficult to stay up. Which seems OK to me.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
When the skies get crowded, it's fun to take a jetski into the middle of the bay with Stingers. Pop pop pop and the choppers either disappear into buildings forever or get shot down.

edit: Also, note that the skyscraper can't be taken down by aircraft. You have to plant demolition charges. The truth is out there! :911: :tinfoil:

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 3, 2013

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Lord Yod posted:

^^^^yes

As someone who maxed out attack choppers piloting in bf3 I can say that they feel good enough in this game. They've been modified a bit, I feel like it's more responsive but with less engine power. With decent gunner you can still tear poo poo up, if you don't have a skilled pilot/gunner pair tough it's very difficult to stay up. Which seems OK to me.

Yeah, the thing that weirds me out the most about the new flight model is that the choppers don't seem to be able to power out of dives quite as aggressively. They've got a lot more sink to them at the end of a run, it's killed me a few times.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

keyframe posted:

It's a beta dude. It is to test server load don't judge game performance or stability with it. See: BF3 beta/release

I've heard horror stories of the BF3 beta, was it pretty stable on release? Maybe DICE does things differently now but generally speaking I've never seen a marked improvement from one of these open betas come release day. If anything they just get crazier because of how many more people are playing.

edit

Kibayasu posted:

Not to be the guy to complain about server performance in a beta, but did everything just die for everyone else?

Oh cool, maybe it wasn't just random then.

Tarranon fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 3, 2013

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

While I wait for the servers to calm down, if they do, I'm wondering if I'm wrong in remembering that the BF3 beta had a fair number more weapons available than the BF4 beta? It's really hard to tell how good BF4 is going to be on release with such a limited selection of options. I know its a beta but I remember thinking during the BF3 beta "Well, this map may be absolute poo poo, but at least the guns are pretty fun and somewhat varied." The BF4 beta seems to be the opposite; not bad map with a terrible selection of weapons and attachments.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

^^ bf3 beta had basically all of the guns, or at least enough that I didn't notice a lack

I never had any stability issues with BF3 after release, aside from some infrequent punkbuster issues that are more or less inevitable.

canyoneer posted:

When the skies get crowded, it's fun to take a jetski into the middle of the bay with Stingers. Pop pop pop and the choppers either disappear into buildings forever or get shot down.

edit: Also, note that the skyscraper can't be taken down by aircraft. You have to plant demolition charges. The truth is out there! :911: :tinfoil:

poo poo, I never thought of doing this. Second seat can use a gun!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Tarranon posted:

I've heard horror stories of the BF3 beta, was it pretty stable on release? Maybe DICE does things differently now but generally speaking I've never seen a marked improvement from one of these open betas come release day. If anything they just get crazier because of how many more people are playing.

edit

Oh cool, maybe it wasn't just random then.

Yea it was night and day between beta and release performance and stability wise.

I haven't had any crashes up until 40 minutes ago where the game started crashing constantly. Wonder if they changed something serverside.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sedisp posted:

Everyone who wants air vehicles to be balanced apparently wants them to be invincible!

I was kind of responding to a person who literally said that any change that makes pilots mad is good for the game. I'm pretty sure there's a way to make air vehicles something in between invincible and poo poo. Since right now choppers are pretty meh with two infantry AA weapons. I assume maps will eventually have jets/mobile AA/multiple lock on weapons and not have a LOS break every three feet.

In any event the SOFLAM/RPG being as powerful as it is makes all other launchers planned pointless. How in the world is that a good thing?
This is :dice: we're talking about here. They don't exactly have a great track-record of balancing things.

That aside, balancing ground-vehicles vs air-vehicles vs infantry isn't an easy task, but hopefully they won't take a page out of BF3 and will instead give some thought to things.

I'm having a shitload of fun running around with an 870MCS with duckbill muzzle, C4, Motion Sensor and offensive squad benefits, though.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 3, 2013

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Pharmaskittle posted:

poo poo, I never thought of doing this. Second seat can use a gun!

You can also place C4 on your own jetski from the second seat.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

canyoneer posted:

I've shot out the supports with a tank, so you definitely do not need risk getting that close to the building.

I kinda wish that wasn't the case, because I see the skyscraper going down within minutes of any match, and while the effect is cool, I don't always want to play Shanghai Graylands.

That and I wish you could tip it over onto one side of the level or the other. Say you want to gently caress with the Chinese side of the city hardcore? Take out the supports on that side of the building, watch it flatten one of the control points, kill a mess of campers on top of other structures with debris. That makes that side of the city harder to see in, which could make attacking and defending difficult. It'd also make getting on the "clean" side of the map more desirable.

You could also turn it into a race of sorts, you're seeing a team close to tipping the building over on one side? better collapse other supports to make sure it just folds in on itself or falls more towards the sea.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

The RFB is great. Unlocked all the attachments in two rounds, laughing the whole time I was sprinting around unloading this massively oversized pistol into people.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
People get so mad at Airbursters during domination. :allears:

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Any word about when the open beta can be downloaded? Didn't know if there was pre-loading going on with it like with the exclusive beta and can't find any mention anywhere.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

KM Scorchio posted:

Any word about when the open beta can be downloaded? Didn't know if there was pre-loading going on with it like with the exclusive beta and can't find any mention anywhere.

Did you try the official forums?

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2955065209636056251/

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Well that didn't take long.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

Yep took a quick wade through the ocean of pubbie beta angst going on over there... Couldn't see any mention of pre-loading however hence my enquiry.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

i'm really enjoying the fragile choppers, as a chopper pilot. I don't mind getting killed in one shot, but it's alot more fun to be disabled and sink through the skies like a rock than to be one shotted out of nowhere instantly.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Nothing spectacular here but I thought I'd post this vid for any lurkers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyJBrB4AY88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr7pXRFT1fc

Jippa fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 3, 2013

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Target Practice posted:

Yeah I don't know if the attack chopper gets shoved around more than the transport chopper, but I found in the transport if I was near a building or the ground when we got hit it was more a matter of luck than skill that kept me from crashing. I can only imagine what the poor Little Bird is gonna feel like. :ohdear:
This game is just like BF3 where if the pilot bails or switches to the gunner/passenger seat, the helicopter self-rights or takes significantly less damage as it tumbles to the ground.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I'm randomly not getting unlock points for the scout choppers, it's really annoying. Also, swipes with the knife doesn't seem to do damage at all, at least against prone targets.

Has anyone unlocked shotgun slugs yet? Are they one hit kill like the sniper rifles are now?

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

fivegears4reverse posted:

I've shot out the supports with a tank, so you definitely do not need risk getting that close to the building.

I kinda wish that wasn't the case, because I see the skyscraper going down within minutes of any match, and while the effect is cool, I don't always want to play Shanghai Graylands.

That and I wish you could tip it over onto one side of the level or the other. Say you want to gently caress with the Chinese side of the city hardcore? Take out the supports on that side of the building, watch it flatten one of the control points, kill a mess of campers on top of other structures with debris. That makes that side of the city harder to see in, which could make attacking and defending difficult. It'd also make getting on the "clean" side of the map more desirable.

You could also turn it into a race of sorts, you're seeing a team close to tipping the building over on one side? better collapse other supports to make sure it just folds in on itself or falls more towards the sea.

That would be very cool. On an empty server, I was a little disappointed how easy it was for the attack chopper to bring down the building.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
The only proper RFB setup:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I was flying a heli, had full health and was taking no threats and then the heli just felt like it took a weight of bricks and slowly sunk down into the water no matter how much I tried to fight it. What's up with that?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Huh, I just received a ton of master dog tags at the end of a round, some for weapons that aren't even in the beta yet. Hooray, I guess?

Question: I have set the window mode for BF4 to "Borderless", yet when I click outside the window (dual screen setup), it goes from full screen to windowed mode. Is there a way to prevent that?

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 3, 2013

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

mcbexx posted:

Question: I have set the window mode for BF4 to "Borderless", yet when I click outside the window (dual screen setup), it goes from full screen to windowed mode. Is there a way to prevent that?

The borderless mode seems to be completely broken, which is a shame since it's nice to be able to use battlelog while playing.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I only figured out last night that the browser is totally borked and I should actually be un checking the map box? For some reason I could only find domination servers?

So I finally got to play the large version of conquest and it's awesome. Feels like you can have small scale battles on each part of the map while in the distance crazy poo poo is going down. Kind of how how ps2 was supposed to be.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
BF4 + Premium for £55? Has anyone used this site before?

http://www.simplycdkeys.com/origin/battlefield-4-battlefield-4-premium-service-dlc-bundle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Anyone know when the unwashed will be allowed to download this?

• Locked thread