Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.
I bet someone will buy that, seriously. It looks well worth it judging by the materials alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

NatashaQuick posted:

I bet someone will buy that, seriously. It looks well worth it judging by the materials alone.

Thanks, that makes me feel better about the price :) I may do a bunch more of the little vials as separate listings, because I had to buy a case of them to get those five, and those would of course be much cheaper but still pretty cool display items.

Turdo
Jun 15, 2012

RazorBunny posted:

I'm really proud of this thing I made as kind of a Halloween decoration/art piece/display item.

Here's the listing. I feel weird listing something so expensive, but it cost me a lot to buy all the supplies and required a lot of work to put together. Hopefully someone likes it enough to buy it and justify all the time and effort.

This is a cool idea and very well executed.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
Agreeing that the monster hunter kit is a really cool idea. The only thing I might suggest is taking some more pictures of the individual items. You obviously put a lot of work into it, and I think one shot of the overall kit, and then three to four more of groups of items (like the vials) would possibly showcase your work better.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Of course you say that now that I've packed the whole thing up in bubble wrap ;)

I have some photos of the individual items, but they are kind of lackluster pictures, I was having lighting issues. I'll go through and see if any of them can be cleaned up a bit and added to the listing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Technically this is my fiancee's store, but I took almost all the pictures and have helped her get it off the ground, so I'm just as proud of it as she is :)

http://defectivecompass.etsy.com

Almost all custom pillows made out of hockey jerseys, with a couple other knick-knacks coming and going (like the NES gun lamp).

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
Here's my shop! Not much is up yet, but I'm slowly chugging out little crafts.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/muchandquick

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Okay guys, October is around the corner. Would anyone be interested in my setting up the etsy SA-Mart thread again?

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I would be!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Okay guys, October is around the corner. Would anyone be interested in my setting up the etsy SA-Mart thread again?

Sure thing. Let me know if you need any assistance.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Funhilde posted:

Sure thing. Let me know if you need any assistance.

My job has me working 50-60 hours a week, so any help would be appreciated.

I'm thinking maybe this year of having everyone pay a flat $10 for the banners, and every $30 I just buy another one. Or would people prefer the old way of waiting to see how many people there are, and then dividing the cost?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

I'm thinking maybe this year of having everyone pay a flat $10 for the banners, and every $30 I just buy another one. Or would people prefer the old way of waiting to see how many people there are, and then dividing the cost?

Flat $10 sounds easier right?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I forgot about Etsy for like 3 months and just today decided to read the 200 posts I missed in this thread. I would be totally ready for the SA Mart thread and my :10bux: is ready too. I've been making leather Christmas ornaments for some reason lately - usually I couldn't be bothered to think about Christmas until 12/23.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

I need to relaunch my shop, and :10bux: is way simpler, and lets people come in later and just add to the pool

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Right now I'm getting high traffic presumably due to Halloween. I'm working on some products that are Christmas-related, when do you all think I need to have them finished and up to get the holiday traffic?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Yeah i have high Halloween traffic too. I have some Halloween specific fabric I should probably get to posting up. Also a bunch of new Bee fabric for SA secret santas.

Sending a huge box of scraps to Flutterbyblue this week too.

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.
I don't have anything cool for Halloween, but I'm planning on building a stock of plush Mr. Saturn and Foppy/Fobby for Christmas this year. I have a gorgeous fabric ornament but I'm not sure if I can make them fast enough to be worth selling at a price that anyone would buy. I am making Santa hats to fit Mr. Saturn and these adorable jingle bell earrings I gave as gifts last year. Last year I made a decent amount in December despite being totally unable to keep up with demand, and this year I'm in a much better place in regards to work.

I also just sent off a Cthulhu plush made on commission and he's listed as made to order! I also have to make one for my one-year-old daughter as she about went nuts trying to get and put her mouth on him ever since I finished the head. Here's the link to my shop.

Tinydryad
Aug 13, 2004

This newb claimed by ChlamydiaJones; remember, bad things happen in theaters sometimes.

Count me in, I got many lovely goon sales last year. I also vote for the simple and easy $10 option.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
I'm down for $10, goons emptied out my shop last season.

Edit: I only have a few things listed right now but check me out if you're in the market for some unique coasters to put your drinks on. https://www.etsy.com/shop/thecoastershop

RichieHimself fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 30, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Is Etsy being really temperamental for anyone else?

I'm on Chrome and a ton of etsy pages get half loaded then give me a chrome error message (not all of them, weirdly enough) and it's been like this for months. Is it just me, or is there some ad server or something that chrome doesn't like?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
It's you. No problems here

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

What does everybody think of the new Etsy policy changes? It seems a lot of people are not happy. And quite a few are heading over to Zibbet.

https://www.etsy.com/teams/18091/new-guidelines/discuss/13091813/page/1

quote:

In our new, simpler policies:

>> You can hire people and collaborate from different locations.

>> You can use shipping or fulfillment services, but you’re responsible for the customer experience.

>> With approval, you can work with outside manufacturers to help produce your designs.

>> If you work with other people or manufacturers to create your items, you need to share that information on your About page.

>> Re-selling — purchasing a new, finished product you had no role in creating and selling it to someone else unchanged — is still not allowed.
So if you make something, you could be able to have it reproduced in a factory and drop shipped to your buyers and still have it count as handmade.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Solenna posted:

What does everybody think of the new Etsy policy changes? It seems a lot of people are not happy. And quite a few are heading over to Zibbet.

https://www.etsy.com/teams/18091/new-guidelines/discuss/13091813/page/1

So if you make something, you could be able to have it reproduced in a factory and drop shipped to your buyers and still have it count as handmade.

Well, that's one way to solve the reseller problem! :v:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
My girlfriend's shop now has some more jewelry, more original prints, and now some handmade magnets. Help her out and buy some of this stuff, and get free shipping. Free. Shipping.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/MilkBerries

Everything is high quality and really inexpensive.

Chicory
Nov 11, 2004

Behold the cuteness.
I personally am closing up my Etsy shop permanently because of the new policies. I think it hurts the handmade industry as a whole. People buy from Etsy because they think they're getting something personal and handcrafted, not a manufactured item. :sigh:

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Ashwat posted:

I personally am closing up my Etsy shop permanently because of the new policies. I think it hurts the handmade industry as a whole. People buy from Etsy because they think they're getting something personal and handcrafted, not a manufactured item. :sigh:
Will you still have a shop someplace else?

and an SA Mart thread would be cool, I'd kick $10 towards it for sure.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
On the subject of the thread, what do people think of letting non-etsy shops join as well?

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Seeing as it's SA banners, I figure as long as they can link to something that would be considered their shop (SA goonmart thread, personal website, Etsy site) that's totally cool with me.

I'm pretty indifferent to the changes, I suppose I'll see how they effect me. I know that etsy did have a big problem with essentially being a launching site for businesses that would then get very successful and then go elsewhere. Great for the little guys wanting to get started with little overhead/out of pocket investment, not really great for them.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I checked out Zibbet and they seem to have a few buy/sell items in there. Are they more diligent against stopping it or something?

Personally, since Etsy has never really policed the "handmade only" thing, I have no problem. It's not like I make millions on Etsy anyway. It's an easy way for me to have my art prints available, even of they never sell. :smithicide:

Also I see no problem in having other types of shops in our sales, as long as it isn't "my giant Goon corporation will have it's adorable slave children make something for you."

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 4, 2013

ShimLemons
Nov 19, 2011
I guess I should share my shop here, I make mostly 8 bit style bead sprite art. I know it's kind of a crowded market these days, but I try to make mine look better than the average, and take orders for custom characters. Use code GOONYGOON for 10% off your order. Also, I am open to advice if you see anything I could do to improve my shop/items.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ElisBeadSprites

omgmypony
Oct 5, 2005

wii wii wii wii wii wii wii

Came here just to check in on this, let me know when and where to send my :10bux:.

Chicory
Nov 11, 2004

Behold the cuteness.

Solenna posted:

Will you still have a shop someplace else?

and an SA Mart thread would be cool, I'd kick $10 towards it for sure.

Yes, I'm currently setting up a shop through squarespace actually! I'm loving how easy it is to use, though its a little pricey. I've been wanting to move towards managing only my own website anyway. This was just the last step.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
I'm in for the ad as well.

As for the whole new policy thing, I think a lot of people are over reacting.

It takes a lot of $$$ and time for someone to set up any sort of manufacturing, so I really don't think your average Etsy seller is capable of having their items produced. Yes people are still going to slip threw the cracks, they always have, they always will. Chances are what we are going to see is an abundance of people now being able to get their designs printed on t-shirts, stuff like that. You can't just ship a box of supplies you bought from JoAnn's over to china and say "Make me 30 pairs of earrings". It just doesn't work like that.

I also think Etsy knows that most of their buyers probably don't care about handmade. People want what's new and hip, and they want what everyone else has. People are into supporting small businesses which is still good, and it's much better for Etsy if someone goes out and says "Hey I bought this on Etsy, you can buy one too" rather then "Hey look what I bought on Etsy, but you can't have it because it was a one of a kind item so no point for you to log on to Etsy".

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

I just re-opened my shop after being told that I should find a better (cheaper) way to get my prints out to people. I'm now offering reproductions of my original artwork at nice 11x14 poster size, check it out! https://www.etsy.com/shop/InklingForDesign

I'm also in on the 10$ banner whenever it happens.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

flutterbyblue, I wore my hair clip with the d20 to a wedding today and I got so many compliments! And it stayed put in my notoriously stubborn hair that always rejects clips :)

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Oh yay! That's great to hear :). I'm glad it went over so well. Thank you for the feedback!

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

When are we doing the banner? I don't feel I have enough stock for it now, but I may in a couple weeks. Don't add me to the count, I'm just curious.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
This blog post from Ohhh Lulu is pretty interesting to read in regards to the policy changes.
http://www.ohhhlulu.com/2013/10/etsy-policy-updates-pt-2-insider.html

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
It also would not surprise me if in the future we end up with a list of Etsy approved manufacture partnerships. I could easily see Etsy partnering up with such companies like Spoonflower or Vistaprint to offer discounts for Etsy sellers to use them as a manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Hi I opened a shop and I have no idea what I'm doing.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACraftForCrows?ref=si_shop

:parrot: