Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Yup. Like most of Battle Camp, it is designed to kick you in the shins when you want to do anything. You can grind out another of the monster wherever you found the first (the catalogue should tell you where you found the monster in the first place).

Coins are actually fairly easy to come by if you follow this One Weird Trick to fusing -- fuse monsters together before fusing them to your main monster. If you have 6 common monsters, fuse 5 of them to 1, and then keep that level ~11 dude around and fuse him to a monster you actually use when you get 5 of them. Do this for special monsters too, since getting a special monster to level 13+ off of common monsters is fast and easy and you can easily get 15 levels off of one.

V There's probably a name for the social games phenomenon where you hate something, you find a group of people who also hate it to play with you, and then you stick around long enough for the Stockholm Syndrome to kick in.

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I hope there are psychologists chronicling all the Battle Camp posts in this thread.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
The Germans must have a word for obsessively playing something you hate and know to be terrible. I seriously don't get why people are playing Battle Camp.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's cute.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jet Ready Go posted:

I'll jump on board. I did a little digging and was told it was basically the maid version of Dominion. It seems light hearted enough so I'll throw down.

I never played it but I've heard it's, like, (at least before any expansions) basically a total clone. And I loving love Dominion. So basically it's a question of how much shame you're willing to put yourself through to scratch that itch. (I'm about to start my download)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

UncleSmoothie posted:

The Germans must have a word for obsessively playing something you hate and know to be terrible. I seriously don't get why people are playing Battle Camp.

I stopped and kept with PaD (and don't worry, there's definitely still some kind of Stockholm Syndrome element there) but some of the stuff rules -- PvP in Battle Camp is fun, especially since you can totally roll an opponent even if they've spent more money/grinded harder than you. Trust me, it's INCREDIBLY satisfying killing someone with a team full of super-rare monsters when you realize they can't actually play the game for poo poo. The clan stuff seems really cool, too, even tho I haven't really participated. But progression feels SO artificially stunted; even though there's not (at least at first) a ton of variance between them, PaD is like, hey, congrats, you managed to survive this dungeon, now try the next one. Battle Camp is like, nice, you've proven you can survive this area. Now grind it over and over for rare-rear end drops a dozen times before we give you access to the next one. Even though PaD has a grind element, it at least (at its very worst) provides the ILLUSION that if you played just a LITTLE more skillfully you could advance to the next piece of content. Battle Camp is like, gently caress that, even though you've already proved you can clear this, do it 10 more times until you get the random drop that lets you go to the next area. They're both kinda predatory and totally built around a consumable IAP model but I can't even fool myself into it being "fair" in Battle Camp, and I'm an easily-deceived idiot.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

goferchan posted:

I never played it but I've heard it's, like, (at least before any expansions) basically a total clone. And I loving love Dominion. So basically it's a question of how much shame you're willing to put yourself through to scratch that itch. (I'm about to start my download)

The way I approach these anime games is always tongue in cheek, I would like to believe for sake of sanity that this is how the Japanese view it too.

I have made my purchase.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

UncleSmoothie posted:

The Germans must have a word for obsessively playing something you hate and know to be terrible.
Videospieler

goferchan posted:

I stopped and kept with PaD (and don't worry, there's definitely still some kind of Stockholm Syndrome element there) but some of the stuff rules -- PvP in Battle Camp is fun, especially since you can totally roll an opponent even if they've spent more money/grinded harder than you. Trust me, it's INCREDIBLY satisfying killing someone with a team full of super-rare monsters when you realize they can't actually play the game for poo poo.
Yeah I logged in and did some of the PvP last night and it was pretty hilarious seeing the skill difference. I got my rear end handed to me by everyone who had a team of Supers or some evolved monsters, but as soon as I found some teams mostly or completely full of Elites I just rolled over them like they were nothing.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
Tanto Cuore has some mechanics that separate it from being a total clone of Dominion. You have "Personal Maids", cards that give you permanent persistent effects, which two at random are able to be bought, but you can only have one in your possession at a time. There are "Chamber Maids", which are cards that can be sent to your "Personal Chamber", i.e; removed from your deck to a special stack, where they score points based on either how many copies of them you have or how many copies of a set of certain chamber maids you have. Most everything else is similar to Dominion, although there are only two VP cards, one for 1VP that can be chambered to give you a bonus 5VP at the end if you have the most of her (not 5 per card, just 5 total for the majority holder), and one for 6VP that just sits in your deck like a Province. There are two attack cards, one that cancels out a Personal Maid effects, and another that is -1VP, -2VP if you have 4 or more.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Decius posted:

It crashes a bit often on my iPad 4. It sometimes has problems, showing me "Autosaving" every 10 seconds. The zoom levels aren't great - either too far or too near, it clearly misses one in the middle. Controls are pretty well adapted to the touchscreen (but you'll never build roads or rails as fast as with your mouse). Performance seems ok, but I haven't played any lategame yet.

Oh, and it isn't really Transport Tycoon, looks a lot more like Locomotion.

I haven't played this much yet, but I did discover that if you pinch-zoom gradually instead of quickly, you can set the zoom to any level.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I have been trying Marvel's puzzle quest and I have to say it is a ton of fun. It seems a little slow at first, but quickly it gets crazy. You can alter tiles to have passive bonuses, so iron man creates 6 tiles that reduce damage taken by 1 each. So you have to carefully not match those. But the enemies get them too so soon your entire board gets filled with passive tiles, that your desperately trying to remove or save. Boss and PVP fights are a ton of a fun. There are timers but I haven't hit any walls after about 3 hours, so I say for a freemium game I have gotten my money's worth.

Considering I paid $60 for puzzle quest 1 and 2, I am completely happy with how the game is so far. Maybe it gets too grindy later on but I haven't gotten there yet.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shwqa posted:

I have been trying Marvel's puzzle quest and I have to say it is a ton of fun. It seems a little slow at first, but quickly it gets crazy. You can alter tiles to have passive bonuses, so iron man creates 6 tiles that reduce damage taken by 1 each. So you have to carefully not match those. But the enemies get them too so soon your entire board gets filled with passive tiles, that your desperately trying to remove or save. Boss and PVP fights are a ton of a fun. There are timers but I haven't hit any walls after about 3 hours, so I say for a freemium game I have gotten my money's worth.

Considering I paid $60 for puzzle quest 1 and 2, I am completely happy with how the game is so far. Maybe it gets too grindy later on but I haven't gotten there yet.

Oh, is that out now in the US? I think I'll give it a try.

Edit: It's the one called "Dark Reign", right?

mania
Sep 9, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

Oh, is that out now in the US? I think I'll give it a try.

Edit: It's the one called "Dark Reign", right?

Yeah that's the one.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I haven't played it for very long yet, but from what I've seen so far Machines at War 3 is basically Total Annihilation: iPad Edition. To the degree that even the music is reminiscent. I'm really enjoying this so far.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

There any iphone games that resemble X-Com: EU's base management layer? Besides the game itself, which I have a console for.
I enjoy the balancing act between upgrades and satellites and expansion in the game and sometimes find myself wishing I could just skip the missions and go straight to the results so I can get back to building/researching/buying/selling. If I could play Enemy Unknown without having to do the fighting aliens bits myself, I'd be pretty happy.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

aegof posted:

There any iphone games that resemble X-Com: EU's base management layer? Besides the game itself, which I have a console for.
I enjoy the balancing act between upgrades and satellites and expansion in the game and sometimes find myself wishing I could just skip the missions and go straight to the results so I can get back to building/researching/buying/selling. If I could play Enemy Unknown without having to do the fighting aliens bits myself, I'd be pretty happy.

I'm guessing you might like a lot of the kairosoft games. Something like Grand Prix Story, Which is a racing management game where you build up your garage, level up your mechanics and driver, and research new parts for your car. When a race comes around, the racing is done automatically and you go back to building and upgrading. They have several games that play like that with different themes like Pocket League Story for soccer, Pocket Academy for a school, etc.

I haven't played most of their recent ones, so I'm not sure if they have a new "best" game, but I liked the three I mentioned in particular. They have lite versions of most of their games you can try out.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

aegof posted:

:psyduck:

I can understand not having a taste for the tactical battles but I can't wrap my head around citing XCOM's strategic layer as a particularly interesting one.

edit: Sim City if you had a 8x8 grid on which to plop one of 10 buildings, maybe.
vvv

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 4, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

epitasis posted:

:psyduck:

I can understand not having a taste for the tactical battles but I can't wrap my head around citing XCOM's strategic layer as a particularly interesting one.

It basically like sim city but with alien invasion every now and then. That sounds fun as hell to me.

Long tactical fights are great too, but sometimes you don't want to do that.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Oh, I love the actual fights in Enemy Unknown, but the strategic layer has interesting decisions to be made and is simple enough that I don't need to keep notes. That is, it's perfect for poking at while waiting for the bus, which is what iphone games are for, as far as I'm concerned.

I'll take a look at Kairosoft stuff.

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
If anyone else was thinking of trying Shadowrun, I recommend leaving it until it's been patched a few times because it is really buggy! On my iPad 2 it crashes a minute or so after nearly every scene transition. There's also no music, which is odd.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Cacto posted:

If anyone else was thinking of trying Shadowrun, I recommend leaving it until it's been patched a few times because it is really buggy! On my iPad 2 it crashes a minute or so after nearly every scene transition. There's also no music, which is odd.

I contacted them about it and they said the music issue is resolved at least in the upcoming patch but theres no certainty about when it's available. They said they hoped it would have shown up a few days ago.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

KamikazeJim posted:

Tanto Cuore has some mechanics that separate it from being a total clone of Dominion. You have "Personal Maids", cards that give you permanent persistent effects, which two at random are able to be bought, but you can only have one in your possession at a time. There are "Chamber Maids", which are cards that can be sent to your "Personal Chamber", i.e; removed from your deck to a special stack, where they score points based on either how many copies of them you have or how many copies of a set of certain chamber maids you have. Most everything else is similar to Dominion, although there are only two VP cards, one for 1VP that can be chambered to give you a bonus 5VP at the end if you have the most of her (not 5 per card, just 5 total for the majority holder), and one for 6VP that just sits in your deck like a Province. There are two attack cards, one that cancels out a Personal Maid effects, and another that is -1VP, -2VP if you have 4 or more.

I actually bothered looking for this before realizing the "personal maids" are all anime girls. Oh well.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I bought Transport Tycoon, and initial thoughts are that it's been adapted well for touch devices. On iPad Mini at least, gently caress playing this on iPhone. My one minor annoyance is that there appears to be no sandbox mode as yet, just scenarios. I prefer to just load up a world and start building a network without worrying about specific goals. No reason this can't or won't be added later, but right now you have to play inside the lines.

Was it this thread where someone was saying about variable zoom? You can absolutely zoom in and out and stop at any point in between.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I actually bothered looking for this before realizing the "personal maids" are all anime girls. Oh well.

What kind of maids were you expecting?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

SynthOrange posted:

Impersonal maids

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

SynthOrange posted:

I had some foolish dream where they were just completely dehumanized pawns in a Euro card game similiar to Dominion. Should have known the app store better than that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I had some foolish dream where they were just completely dehumanized pawns.

:staredog: That somehow manages to make things worse.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Dehumanize your maid and face to App Store.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Marcel's puzzle quest is based on your devices internal clock and not a server. Bumping you clock ahead a day completely heals you and gets you a daily reward :getin:

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Unimpressed with Transport Tycoon so far, crashed about 5 times in 20 minutes of play. Also got that 'Saving' bug someone mentioned earlier.

Also, dirt roads ..

Might try to get a refund and buy it again when it's not so flawed

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.

oversteer posted:

Unimpressed with Transport Tycoon so far, crashed about 5 times in 20 minutes of play. Also got that 'Saving' bug someone mentioned earlier.

Also, dirt roads ..

Might try to get a refund and buy it again when it's not so flawed
The autosave bug is fixed in the next update, which has been in submission for a bit so should be out reasonably soon. There are some general stability improvements too for those of you who have seen a lot of crashes.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Any word about if/when the iOS version for Terraria will be updated to 1.2?

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
I think someone in here was writing about Battle Nations awhile ago. If you are reading this, what is the deal with wimps and how do i make mine good?

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?

I had some foolish dream where they were just completely dehumanized pawns in a Euro card game similiar to Dominion. Should have known the app store better than that.

It's not really "the app store" as much as it is weird anime tabletop games from Japan. If you think Tanto Cuore is weird, you should look up Kanzume Goddess. Why anyone would want to have any game like that on their shelf is beyond me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's a mystery that's for sure. Oh wait, I mean 'anime tits sell'

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

KamikazeJim posted:

It's not really "the app store" as much as it is weird anime tabletop games from Japan. If you think Tanto Cuore is weird, you should look up Kanzume Goddess. Why anyone would want to have any game like that on their shelf is beyond me.

At our local game store's secret santa, my friend got the card game called "Whack a Catgirl," which, as far as I can tell, is a game where you win by spanking the most anime ladies. Now he keeps it in the tote with all his other games out of a combination of obligation and guilt.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yes, I know that it was brought up in a previous page, but Pocket Tactics gives FOUR other recommendations for match three games in the battle camp review.

quote:

The first problem is that match-three combat has been done many times before, and almost always with more tactical depth. Pixel Defenders Puzzle offers a much more enjoyable battlefield: larger, more dynamic, with a greater need for chess-like foresight of how the board will look several moves ahead. Or try Dungeon Raid; it too features a more complex board, as well as more intriguing RPG mechanics. If you just want the pure challenge of match-three, classics like Piyo Blocks and Kalevala are much more satisfying than Battle Camp’s simplistic take.
I might check these out later but I'm just putting that out there for now that there are alternatives that have good gameplay.

Also, beyond pleading you to reinstall the game constantly if you delete it and all the microtransactions.

quote:

Alternately and most worryingly, the game offers gold rewards for signing up for credit cards, taking out insurance policies, or engaging myriad other skeevy real-world services.
Just putting it out there so that others reading the thread are not swayed by the claims of battle camp having pvp gameplay that's worth it. It's not worth giving their Ipad a cockroach infestation in match 3 game form.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Sure, I'm never playing a game that requires Facebook integration, and Battle Camp sure sounds like a whiny beggar of a game, but that Pocket Tactics review sounds a bit clueless since he doesn't even know what game it's ripping off. Dungeon Raid is good but I wouldn't necessarily say it's more complex than PAD-like gameplay, they're just different. I mean

quote:

Unlike most match-three games, in which you can only slide tiles to adjacent spaces, in Battle Camp you can slide to any space you want, even all the way across the grid. This feels liberating at first, but it undercuts the value of planning one’s moves, which is supposed to be what match-three is all about. Part of match-three games’ appeal is that they reward insightful lines of play within tight constraints. Battle Camp demands no such insight, and it imposes its constraints more insidiously.

That's basically just nonsense.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Help the Empire build the ultimate 8-bit power in the universe in the upcoming mobile game Star Wars: Tiny Death Star!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Congrats on being millionaires.

• Locked thread