Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

One minute: Oh dear, there's gunfire outside!
Next minute: I better get on Twitter to blame Democrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PepeSilvia
Mar 17, 2009

zoux posted:

in Italy it means "GO THE DEVIL"

Actually in Italy it's called the "cornuto" and it implies that someone's wife is sleeping around on him.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Link with video:
http://gawker.com/gop-congressman-makes-park-ranger-apologize-for-shutdow-1440577868

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
A police officer is engulfed in flames Oct. 2 after being hit by a Molotov cocktail thrown by protesters in Mexico City. Protesters marked the 45th anniversary of the Tlatelolco massacre in which students holding an anti-government protest were gunned down by soldiers ten days before the 1968 Summer Olympics.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pacra posted:

There's an upswing currently in Mongolia of indigenous neo-nazi groups rebranding themselves as environmentalists, working against the multinationals strip-mining the area, protecting the workers, checking permits, etc.

Dat Body National

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xoM6-1SWl4&t=390s

When you picture the future, Winston - imagine this GIF on every political webpage...forever.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Government still shutdown, shots fired at the Capitol, let's see what the House Republicans are doing today.

Oh.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Wendy Davis announced she is running for Governor of Texas.

Literally the only time in my life I wished I lived in Texas, just so I could vote for her.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

A sculpture made by Chilean artist Norton Maza is displayed in an exhibition called "The Landscape and its Kingdoms" at the Contemporary Art Museum in Santiago, Chile, October 2, 2013. The exhibition strives to portray Jesus Christ besieged by missile air strikes, challenging norms of established power.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wendy Davis announced she is running for Governor of Texas.

Literally the only time in my life I wished I lived in Texas, just so I could vote for her.

I really wish her the best, if only because the GOP will absolutely lose their minds in a way that will only be surpassed if Texas turns blue in a presidential election.

I could have sworn I saw this exact same guy with the exact same sign during the last debt ceiling raise kerfuffle.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Kurt_Cobain posted:

A police officer is engulfed in flames Oct. 2 after being hit by a Molotov cocktail thrown by protesters in Mexico City. Protesters marked the 45th anniversary of the Tlatelolco massacre in which students holding an anti-government protest were gunned down by soldiers ten days before the 1968 Summer Olympics.

Looks like Mexican riot cop ignition tech has advanced a bit from 5 years ago:

Bonus pic:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Amarildo, a Brazilian stoneworker that was reported missing a few months back (i think i posted about it here) was found dead and now proof shows he was tortured to death by the Brazilian police, beaten to death in an attempt to force him to "admit" to a crime he didn't commit.

The officer in the picture is one of the accused of the killing of Amarildo.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

quote:

Burgerfuel has apologised for a publicity stunt which saw a man dressed in blackface giving out fliers outside an Auckland store this morning, promoting a new Usain Bolt-themed burger.
But staff at the Parnell store told 3 News the promotion, in which a man painted brown handed out fliers outside the store, lasted only one hour and "everyone loved it".
In contrast, the Burgerfuel's head office unreservedly apologised for the stunt.
"We have spoken to the store directly & pulled him in," the company wrote on its Twitter account. "We will be addressing this with NZ team. Immediately."
The company later said the "store has gone rogue with the Jamaican theme without understanding the history".
The reaction on social media was swift, Twitter users calling it "f***ed up" and "SO NOT OKAY".
Burgerfuel's campaign for the burger has a heavy emphasis on social media – fans are encouraged to upload photos of themselves with the burger under the hashtag #usainpoultry. In this case, it may have backfired
Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/Burgerfuel-apologises-for-blackface-stunt/tabid/423/articleID/315858/Default.aspx#ixzz2giAzLStn
Third richest suburb in the country.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

quote:

An injured Afghan boy with blood on his face walks at the site of bomb explosion in Jalalabad province, on August 6, 2013. A remote control bomb went off in Jalalabad city, killing one person and injuring three others, provincial officials said.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Adlai Stevenson campaigns in San Francisco, 1952

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

FuzzyBuddha posted:

Welcome to the University of Alaska Fairbanks Gruening Building. The main floor stairs exited near an entrance to the building and have (had? Been a while since I was in there...) a waist high concrete slab so in the event of a riot, security could fire out the door while having some protection...

Edit 2 - My concrete slab theory seems to be disproved around the 19 minute mark of that video. :( Ah well, it seemed so plausible.

Reminds me of a building I walked past occasionally when I was at university in Cardiff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Buildings,_Cathays_Park

quote:

The Encyclopedia of Wales describes CP2, completed in 1979, as conveying an impression of "bureaucracy under siege".[2]

These pictures don't really do justice to how ugly it is. It's right in the middle of a beautiful river-front park surrounded by museums, university buildings and churches. Walking down the street alongside it, you can't see any human activity, just angular concrete slabs, pillars and dark windows. I thought it was a military bunker or warehouse the first time I walked past it.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
A case of the cameraman being in the right place at the right time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCLGnach_YQ

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Came across this pic of a NKVD reenactor.

Kinda hot. :commissar:

Edit:

As for why brutalism is was popular on college campuses, I guess this is a pretty simple and straightforward explanation:

quote:

The fashion for these buildings was derived almost entirely from an academic fascination that started in the 1950s and '60s with the famous French-Swiss architect known as Le Corbusier. It's hard to over-emphasize the impact that Corbusier (his real name was Charles-Edouard Jeanneret) had on the architecture profession and teachers of architecture in the '50s, '60s and '70s.

In some quarters, he was considered the greatest architect of the 20th century, as he demonstrated radical, exciting concepts about light and shadow and about interlocking spaces and abstract shapes that appealed to the aspirations of architects and academics.

Just as important, it was easy for other architects to imitate a lot of what he did.

For example, one of his most impressive buildings was an early 1950s apartment block at Marseille, France, that used a technique called, in French, beton brut, which simply means bare or rough concrete. This often involved leaving the impression of wood formwork in the concrete. That technique soon became "all the rage," and architects began to use it both inside and outside new buildings.

It's important to remember that architecture has never been any less prone to fads than, say, the fashion industry. The difference is that architectural styles last for decades, not seasons. And architects sometimes pursue their fads with an almost ideological fervor. There was a time in the '60s and '70s when Brutalism in the style of Corbusier was the only style taught in some university architecture departments.

So it became rather inevitable that Brutalism would find its greatest flowering in college and university buildings or in public buildings where the opinions of academic architects on building committees could hold sway. There was an occasional church or museum done in the style, but it had hardly any impact on commercial or residential architecture in the United States.

The simple fact of the matter is that most people just don't like bare concrete - and they often don't like massive, almost elephantine, concrete structures, even if clad in limestone, such as Posvar Hall at Pitt. The dislike is such that, in some places, they are seeking to demolish Brutalist buildings, and in others they often revise them.

http://triblive.com/aande/architecture/3580891-74/buildings-brutalist-architecture
I went to college in the southwest where it was almost entirely Spanish Colonial Revival. Much better.

Also found a hagiography of Corbu for $1 in the clearance section of a used bookstore. It's hilarious because it treats him as if he was some kind of architecture Jesus. Like it's seriously disgusting how bad it was, like worse than the most butt-kissing article about Steve Jobs.

Edit: God. The mother in the next post. What the hell is wrong with people.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 4, 2013

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
Transman chooses death over being a "monster": http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/...s=og.recommends

quote:

A trans man has chosen to be killed after his body rejected surgery to complete his transition.

Nathan Verhelst, 44, from Belgium, said he had ‘unbearable psychological suffering’ and asked a doctor to euthanize him.

On Monday afternoon (30 September), he died from a lethal injection.

Back in 2009, Verhelst started hormone therapy and had a mastectomy. Last year, he underwent surgery to construct a penis.

But when he looked in the mirror, his body was rejecting the surgery.

‘None of these operations worked as desired,’ Verhelst told a Belgian newspaper, hours before he went to die.

‘I was ready to celebrate my new birth, but when I looked in the mirror, I was disgusted with myself.

‘My new breasts did not match my expectations and my new penis had symptoms of rejection.

‘I did not want to be a monster.’

The man who carried out the lethal injection was Professor Wim Distelmans, a controversial figure who last year ended the lives of deaf twins who were going blind. Euthanasia is legal in Belgium as long as certain conditions are met.

Verhelst informed his family of his decision to die in a letter. ‘I had happy times, but the balance is on the wrong side,’ he said.

He recalled how his mother had loved his brothers, but appeared to hate him because he was born in the body of a girl.

‘While my brothers were celebrated,’ he said, ‘I got a storage room above the garage as a bedroom.

‘My mother complained, “If only you had been a boy”.’

Verhelst’s mother confirmed she had not wanted him.

‘When I saw [Nathan’s birth name] for the first time, my dream was shattered. She was so ugly. I had a phantom birth. Her death does not bother me,’ his mother told Het Laatste Nieuws newspaper.

‘I will definitely read the letter but it will be full of lies.

‘For me, this chapter is closed. Her death does not bother me. I feel no sorrow, no doubt or remorse. We never had a bond.'

This is really sad. He was quite good looking man. I feel like if there weren't so many hurdles to acquire surgery, there wouldn't be this misconception that it is such a huge and important event in one's life. It built him up and built him up and it was eventually his downfall. It causes unrealistic expectations that surgery is the true solution to transitional issues.

I can't believe what his mother said.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

MageMage posted:

This is really sad. He was quite good looking man. I feel like if there weren't so many hurdles to acquire surgery, there wouldn't be this misconception that it is such a huge and important event in one's life. It built him up and built him up and it was eventually his downfall. It causes unrealistic expectations that surgery is the true solution to transitional issues.

With a mom like that, he was probably hosed regardless.

Tim Selaty Jr fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 4, 2013

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

With a mom like that, he was probably hosed regardless.
Post a picture, dude.

That story loving sucked. I can't believe how monstrous the mother is, and how casually she confesses it.

Unarmed woman shot dead by police in Capitol after car chase, infant daughter unhurt.

I've heard reports that she was suffering from post-partum depression :smith:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Kegluneq posted:

Unarmed woman shot dead by police in Capitol after car chase, infant daughter unhurt.

I've heard reports that she was suffering from post-partum depression :smith:

She was armed with a deadly weapon: her car.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

The Dark One posted:

She was armed with a deadly weapon: her car.

She was gunned down as she got out of her stopped car. She was completely unarmed.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

MageMage posted:

Transman chooses death over being a "monster": http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/...s=og.recommends

The mother was a terrible person, but when you'd rather commit suicide than accept a less than ideal body, it's more a mental health issue than a trans issue, and any doctor who had a hand in that lethal injection needs to be charged criminally.

A monument to lab rats used in genetics research. Russia.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
John F. Kennedy, Jr. meets Emperor Haile Selassie

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

MageMage posted:

quote:

He recalled how his mother had loved his brothers, but appeared to hate him because he was born in the body of a girl.

I kind of hate to do this, but in light of this particular line I feel like I have to wonder if this person was truly trans or just had really terrible body image problems due to what sounds like straight-up emotional abuse. Though, I suppose he probably was, given the sort of extensive psychological evaluation that's required for gender reassignment surgery in the first place. Sadly, it wouldn't be the first time that less-than-ideal gender reassignment surgery has had really devastating psychological consequences. It's just an awful story all around.

e:

A recent MRA protest in which they tried (and failed) to provoke confrontation with BashBack counterprotestors.

Androc fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 4, 2013

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

XyloJW posted:

She was gunned down as she got out of her stopped car. She was completely unarmed.

Unfortunately I haven't seen that video- just this one where she doesn't get shot despite driving AT a police officer.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Androc posted:

In light of this particular line I feel like I have to wonder if this person was truly trans or just had really terrible body image problems due to what sounds like straight-up emotional abuse.

There's no difference. Whatever reason a person has for desiring the transition, they are "true trans" be it an impetus from birth or something desired because of environmental factors (including emotional trauma). While it's unfortunate if someone develops gender identity issues due to abuse, that doesn't necessarily mean it can or should be addressed in a way other than "grant them that desire". Also, post a picture.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Victor Vermis posted:

Unfortunately I haven't seen that video- just this one where she doesn't get shot despite driving AT a police officer.

In that video, she's appears to be trying to get away, not run them down. Earlier, before that video started, and over by the White House, she did hit a Secret Serviceman with her car, which is why she was being followed by like 10 cops at the beginning of that video. Then several minutes later, over by the Capitol, where she'd been boxed in by cops, she got out of her car, and she was gunned down. At this time, from the reports and witness statements I've read, I'm not sure why she was killed after she was no longer a threat. I'm not saying she did nothing wrong, but I am saying executing her was probably a bit much.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Androc posted:

I kind of hate to do this

I kind of hate to do this but post a pic

A meeting of the Order of the Pug. A pseudo-masonic organization founded in Bavaria in 1740. A pug was chosen as the order's symbol because it was seen as a loyal dog. In Germany it was short lived but may have continued in Lyon as late as 1902.

E: Mmmmm that's good table breakage.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

quote:

I'm not sure why she was killed after she was no longer a threat.

Sadly, someone driving dangerously and erratically in DC, trying to bypass barriers and flee from police, is potentially a threat even after they exit their vehicle. Not saying the police are 100% justified anymore than you're saying they should 100% be condemned without witnessing it, but we're all aware that vehicle-borne IEDs and suicide vests exist and do not cease being a threat just because the operator leaves their vehicle...

Did she comply with instructions after stopping her vehicle?.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Victor Vermis posted:

Sadly, someone driving dangerously and erratically in DC, trying to bypass barriers and flee from police, is potentially a threat even after they exit their vehicle. Not saying the police are 100% justified anymore than you're saying they should 100% be condemned without witnessing it, but we're all aware that vehicle-borne IEDs and suicide vests exist and do not cease being a threat just because the operator leaves their vehicle...

Did she comply with instructions after stopping her vehicle?.

That's a fair point, and the answer is that I really wish that information were available. I would be equally unsurprised if she did give them proper cause to think she was going to do something or if she didn't and the cops overreacted. I'm not really comfortable passing any judgment on her either way just yet. I think it's a really ugly thing when someone is killed directly in front of the seat of our legislature, and more than anything, I want to see this investigated.

E: I suppose I am leaning towards assuming she did no wrong and I have no actual good reason. It's probably because the original reports all had her as the gunman, and that she was shooting at the Capitol building, and when reports came in that she was unarmed and the cops did the shooting, I felt sickened. Then reports came in that there was a car chase, and things got more complex. I should look at it more objectively. Thanks.

The Governor's office in Louisiana, where Gov. Huey Long was assassinated.

XyloJW fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 4, 2013

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Atoramos posted:

There's no difference. Whatever reason a person has for desiring the transition, they are "true trans" be it an impetus from birth or something desired because of environmental factors (including emotional trauma). While it's unfortunate if someone develops gender identity issues due to abuse, that doesn't necessarily mean it can or should be addressed in a way other than "grant them that desire". Also, post a picture.

You know what, you're right, and I hadn't really considered it from that angle. Regardless, it's a shame that such complications are still so common in FtM gender reassignment surgery. Have some more MRAs:

Androc fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 4, 2013

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

XyloJW posted:

The Governor's office in Louisiana, where Gov. Huey Long was assassinated.

You can put your fingers in the holes in the marble walls. It's really eerie.

Behold! Our National Historic Landmark: a pencil.

wikipedia posted:

On April 26, 1970, a bomb consisting of "twenty to 30 [sic] sticks of dynamite" was detonated in the Senate Chamber. The bomb was an apparent retaliation for the shootings of three African Americans by the police; a second bomb exploded at a Baton Rouge country club. A pencil remains embedded in the ceiling of the chamber from the force of the explosion. The Louisiana State Capitol was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 9, 1972, and was designated a National Historic Landmark on December 12, 1982.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mans posted:

Amarildo, a Brazilian stoneworker that was reported missing a few months back (i think i posted about it here) was found dead and now proof shows he was tortured to death by the Brazilian police, beaten to death in an attempt to force him to "admit" to a crime he didn't commit.

The officer in the picture is one of the accused of the killing of Amarildo.

It bears repeating:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Victor Vermis posted:

A firearm can cause lethal force at range, a car can't. There are far too many cases of police being "justified" in riddling cars with unarmed occupants for this to be an excuse anymore. Is the vehicle close enough to be used as a weapon? Back up, dumbass.

It's a little more understandable in that it happened in the Capital, but seriously, enough of the "a car is a deadly weapon!" BS.

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ryonguy posted:

A firearm can cause lethal force at range, a car can't.
A car moving at 60mph can cover 30' before the average human can react to it having moved.

• Locked thread