Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Going full Tiki owns, certainly helps that my Pygmy Staff reforged to Mythical in like 5 tries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Meldonox posted:

Ugh, gently caress me, I can't get Truffle to show up at all. Come on bro, I made you a house in mushroomland and everything.
I built my mushroom farm too close to my tower so it had he mushroom background and music, and I walled a room with mushrooms and decorated it with mushroom furniture just because, and he moved into it as soon as I hit hard mode.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Has anyone found Marshmallows yet? I wanna get my friends together and have a nice 'mallow roast over a fire. :3:

Anything on this?

ThreeLeggedHyena
Jan 27, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Anything on this?

A Merchant set up in the snow biome should sell them.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I was just thinking about a story I've had in my head for a while, and a part of it involves giant, inhabited trees. I was doing this as I was generating a new medium sized world, since I think Small sized worlds are just too small with all of the new biomes... Anyway, the first thing I see in this new world is a giant goddamn hollowed out tree. Below there's an entire goddamn dungeon. I don't know how common this is with 1.2, but I'm excited at the idea of having a literal tree-base.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Figure I'll try one more time then I won't fill up the thread with this. Anyone who is new to the game wanna do some coop? My friends that bought it with me way back on release bailed like an hour into playing and I haven't touched the game since. Would love to find someone to go through and discover the game with. I figured playing with someone new would be best because I don't want to feel like I'm being run through it.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Figure I'll try one more time then I won't fill up the thread with this. Anyone who is new to the game wanna do some coop? My friends that bought it with me way back on release bailed like an hour into playing and I haven't touched the game since. Would love to find someone to go through and discover the game with. I figured playing with someone new would be best because I don't want to feel like I'm being run through it.

I'm in the same situation you are. I've had the game a while but never really gotten too far into it. Only problem is I cant guarantee when I can get on (work and stuff)

For the most part I am on around 10-11am EST, no voice chat or anything (lovely laptop) but If I can I'll join up.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
The spells you find in the hardmode dungeon are god damned amazing. Magnet Sphere is the best, and "Murderous Rainbow Gun" is apt naming. Feels like for the first time ever magic isn't the joke option.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
All my money is spent on paint :unsmigghh:

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Akett posted:

Well you can turn ten of them into a throwable coil, but you need to hit the bottom of an overhead block for them to work. You can place ropes horizontally, but it's slower to traverse ropes that way.

Yeah, but my problem is I can't figure out how to get them to uncoil after I am done with them, short of hacking them down bit by bit, which is really irritating as well as often impractical.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

SlyFrog posted:

Yeah, but my problem is I can't figure out how to get them to uncoil after I am done with them, short of hacking them down bit by bit, which is really irritating as well as often impractical.

That's the only way to get them down, but why bother? Ropes are expendable. Put up what you need to traverse an area and then leave it.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

Yeah, I have 390+ coils now, which translates to over 3000 ropes. Granted, I started with a large world and explored the hell out of it. Once you get a balloon, or the goblin to give you a pair of rocket boots, ropes become inconsequential. Until then, they are a godsend.

If you really wanted to uncoil them, you could throw them in a 3-block high area, 3 would be placed and the rest will come out as an item. Break one of the ropes placed and throw the coil again, one is placed, 9 ropes come out as an item. Repeat ad-nauseum.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I'm not very good at this creating huge structures thing that some people in this thread are. I just wanted tones of small places that the NPC's could walk to. I've done a bit more work on it and currently NPC's can reach all areas and that makes me happy.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I just completed a set of Turtle Armor and my Defense score without buffs is over 90 :stare:

I still get my rear end beaten down by some hardmode enemies, just not as quickly as before

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Do those ice golems have specific spawning conditions? Like, aboveground/underground or various weather events? I've only encountered one and got the 'special' thing it drops, but I want more of the equipment they also have.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Spudd posted:

I'm not very good at this creating huge structures thing that some people in this thread are. I just wanted tones of small places that the NPC's could walk to. I've done a bit more work on it and currently NPC's can reach all areas and that makes me happy.
I love seeing the different building philosophies of the people who play this game. Sometimes I see a fella who posts his or her epic castle, and sometimes I see a minimalist apartment complex. Then you have stuff like this where you've got a clustered village but everyone has their own little place.

Me, I'm a very solitary kinda guy. My Terraria buildings are individual houses, some more grandiose than others, separated by more or less the maximum allowed distance between NPCs to prevent daytime spawns, so pretty much the center 1/3 of my map is this vast city of glass, wood, and stone with plenty of grasslands and hills in between. I'll get a screenshot either tonight or tomorrow when my usual host is on.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
So I just found a corrupt key.

The Corruption chest in the dungeon gave me the Scourge of the Corruption, a melee "Lance" that really just shoots tiny eaters at things and does a ton of damage at fast speeds, AND creates more if it hits a wall, AND they home in! Holy gently caress :dance:

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Is there anyone using a controller to play 1.2? I haven't played Terraria in about six months, and used to always play on my PC. However, since I moved I now have a giant TV that I have my PC hooked up to. I use it as a media center, and whatever games I've been playing have all been controller supported. There used to be a mod for controller support, but apparently 1.2 broke it. Is there a controller mapping program anyone uses or would recommend that works well with 1.2?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The vampire knives from the crimson chest are literally the most broken item holy poo poo.

Very Fast, no ammo/manacost, 4-6 projectiles in a spread, 10% lifesteal to the lowest health teammate. You're basically invincible.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Man, I never realized how amazing the waterbolt is against goblin armies. :psyduck: Two or three bolts with just bounce and bounce between a cluster of them, leaving nothing behind but a trail of carnage, coins, and caltrops.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

The White Dragon posted:

My Terraria buildings are individual houses, some more grandiose than others, separated by more or less the maximum allowed distance between NPCs to prevent daytime spawns

What is this approximate distance by the way? I have no idea how far they spawn, I've just been building on "this probably be far enough" gut feeling.

Jackard posted:

All my money is spent on paint :unsmigghh:

Where did you get that pretty green wood? :allears:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Fewd posted:

What is this approximate distance by the way? I have no idea how far they spawn, I've just been building on "this probably be far enough" gut feeling.

I think it's just painted wood? One of the shades of green. Really want some of those shackled skeleton wall ornaments.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Fewd posted:

Get a painting from a mineshaft or the dungeon and a painter NPC will join you. You can buy paints and a paintbrush off him to color your blocks.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Ah ok. I didn't really like the painter guy. Believe his house will be moved to a bottom of a well.*

*after I buy paints

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So I've managed to make the best sword in the game, the Terra Blade and it's... not great. Sure it does three digits of base damage and fires off a sword shaped beam, but I just can't use it because it needs a click for each swing. Gaming and carpal tunnel are already playing a game of chicken with my left hand, I don't need to risk my right hand too.

The Death Sickle I got in the eclipse is better for most practical uses, it shoots off spectral scythes that spin, linger and do multiple hits. The second eclipse I was in I just held out in a hole and kept scythes spinning around the lips so things couldn't run in easily while I kept an eye out for reapers.

The bat wings that dropped off the vampires were pretty useful too, I crafted a set of wings and found they could fly half a screen higher than the angel wings.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Here are the two AHK macros I use for terraria:
code:
F12::
WinGet, WindowID, ID, A
WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, ahk_id %WindowID%
WinMove, ahk_id %WindowID%, , 0, 0, A_ScreenWidth, A_ScreenHeight
return

XButton1::
    While GetKeyState("XButton1", "P")
    {
        Click
        Sleep 10
    }
return
The first snippet will resize + deborder a window with F12 and the second will left click while the side button is held. Has saved me a fuckton of clicking.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fewd posted:

It seems to be about a 800-1000px distance on either side of each NPC. Keep in mind that this will only work during the day, things will always spawn just off screen no matter the NPC no-spawn zone at night.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Well, the Spectre set bonus is completely broken. It gives 10% lifesteal from all spells you cast, and I can basically kill every boss by mindlessly tossing spells at them while making a token effort to avoid their attacks.

The White Dragon posted:

I love seeing the different building philosophies of the people who play this game. Sometimes I see a fella who posts his or her epic castle, and sometimes I see a minimalist apartment complex. Then you have stuff like this where you've got a clustered village but everyone has their own little place.

Me, I'm a very solitary kinda guy. My Terraria buildings are individual houses, some more grandiose than others, separated by more or less the maximum allowed distance between NPCs to prevent daytime spawns, so pretty much the center 1/3 of my map is this vast city of glass, wood, and stone with plenty of grasslands and hills in between. I'll get a screenshot either tonight or tomorrow when my usual host is on.

Yeah, I'm a :effort: apartment complex kind of guy. YOU'VE BEEN CHOSEN TO GET HORRIBLY MUDERED BY ZOMBIES, GHOSTS, AND FRANKENSTEIN, CITIZEN. EXPECT A CLASS-F DWELLING. YOU WILL BE PROVIDED WITH A TABLE AND A CHAIR.

Most of all it's for my convenience. I'd love to build a good looking ensemble of stylish, individual houses, but not as much as I'd love to have all the NPCs within two seconds of each other and my stash/crafting station.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

It seems to be about a 800-1000px distance on either side of each NPC. Keep in mind that this will only work during the day, things will always spawn just off screen no matter the NPC no-spawn zone at night.

There has to be some limitations at night too. I mean, otherwise your entire base would be swarmed if you step outside.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dareon posted:

Naturally it was just a really dense spawn of traps that happened to get their wires crossed, but it made an impression on me.

In the dungeon in my current world, there was a King Statue right in the path of a dart trap.

I lost half my NPCs on my first hardmode trip before I realized what the gently caress was happening. :downs:

delta534 posted:

The house has to be in an above ground mushroom biome for the truffle to show up.

How do you actually GET an above-ground Mushroom Biome anyway, short of steampunk shenanigans that I can't afford since Redigit fixed all the easy money glitches?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

KataraniSword posted:

In the dungeon in my current world, there was a King Statue right in the path of a dart trap.

I lost half my NPCs on my first hardmode trip before I realized what the gently caress was happening. :downs:

How do you actually GET an above-ground Mushroom Biome anyway, short of steampunk shenanigans that I can't afford since Redigit fixed all the easy money glitches?

Plant mushroom grass seeds above-ground in mud. It's been changed so that they can spread up there.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
At first, I made a nice set of treehouses in a World Tree because I found it really early and I loved the aesthetic. I rapidly ran out of room, however, and the treehouses grew ugly and cramped. Even with the most stacked apartments possible on the branches, I still couldn't make enough to fit all the NPCs I was going to get. I was also worried about the Hallow/Crimson corrupting the whole thing from under me one day and turning life into a living hell. So, I decided to make a new fortress. I had plenty of clay, dirt, stone, or anything I wanted to make your standard castle...

...but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make a flying castle from the very bones and skulls of my enemies :black101:

It will eventually have everything I need to survive hard mode - a crafting hall, storage, a glowing mushroom farm, some herb farms, and maybe an armor showcase. The capper on top I have planned is a skull made of skulls with lava in its eye sockets that is also drooling lava from its mouth down the sides of the castle.

My God I forgot how much I loved this game.

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one
Is anyone having issues with remapping controls? It's not allowing me and some other people to assign controls to different buttons and nothing on google seems to address it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dr Tasty posted:

Is anyone having issues with remapping controls? It's not allowing me and some other people to assign controls to different buttons and nothing on google seems to address it.

I can't remap controls either. It's weird, as I can click on each button and it brings up a little underscore like I'm supposed to press the key I want bound to it instead, but it does absolutely nothing.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

KataraniSword posted:

Can you still make a crab engine?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSlzAndAZAQ

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Goodpancakes posted:

Can you still make a crab engine?

You can, but I'm about 90% certain that it no longer drops any coins.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Daeren posted:

At first, I made a nice set of treehouses in a World Tree because I found it really early and I loved the aesthetic. I rapidly ran out of room, however, and the treehouses grew ugly and cramped. Even with the most stacked apartments possible on the branches, I still couldn't make enough to fit all the NPCs I was going to get. I was also worried about the Hallow/Crimson corrupting the whole thing from under me one day and turning life into a living hell. So, I decided to make a new fortress. I had plenty of clay, dirt, stone, or anything I wanted to make your standard castle...

...but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make a flying castle from the very bones and skulls of my enemies :black101:

It will eventually have everything I need to survive hard mode - a crafting hall, storage, a glowing mushroom farm, some herb farms, and maybe an armor showcase. The capper on top I have planned is a skull made of skulls with lava in its eye sockets that is also drooling lava from its mouth down the sides of the castle.

My God I forgot how much I loved this game.

Have fun with Wyverns.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Pomp posted:

Well, just figured out how to dupe gold chests on accident. Somehow I managed to do this -

Which ended up letting me "remove" it infinitely with my pickaxe. Can't try to fix the block that broke things, chest is stuck there forever, endlessly replicating.

e:An entire stack sells for just short of 10 gold. Gold's always seemed to get worthless really quick though, so :shrug:
Interesting. It would be nice if someone could figure out how to do this reliably, even though it seems like it'd be way slower than the old gold chest duplication method which could fill your inventory in under 10 seconds. The main use for gold in this game is to reforge items in order to get the best possible modifiers. And that takes A LOT of gold.

For now, maybe I'll just do some multiplayer character duplication shenanigans to double my gold 10 times or so. That should get me to around 30 platinum.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For those using bugs and glitches, why not directly edit your save file. Is it really that different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

and

The pre-hardmode version of "What is the ground?".

I refuse to admit how many hours I spent collecting all of the items for those. :negative:

• Locked thread