Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

stubblyhead posted:

What was your profit on the plane if you don't mind my asking?

Not much, a little over $12, but it offsets the cost of the calipers I bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
WD40 is mostly stoddard solvent as I recall. Stoddard solvent = close to turpentine.

It's basically a thin low sulfur mineral oil though, which is what's important.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I went to buy this...

and also came home with this...

A Langdon (I think) miter box with Disston & Sons saw. Plus a 6" dado blade, some bar clamps and misc stuff. All for ... :10bux:+:10bux:+:10bux:+:10bux:

Edit: According to the following it is actually a Goodell 1306 miter box.
https://sites.google.com/site/langdonmitreboxes/home/gallery/goodell/all-steel-1306

They belonged to a man name Walter who recently passed and his son said that Walter would get a kick out of knowing the stuff went to someone who will use it. Many thanks to them both. The band saw was sold by Montgomery Ward but I have no idea of it's age, 1958 or later. The front is plastic and the table is aluminum. The saw spins like a top, Walter took good care of his tools.

wormil fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 22, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
My HF impact screwdriver and 5lb sledge saved my rear end yesterday. It's my new favorite tool.

http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
For a soldering station, will any wet sponge work or do you need a specific kind of sponge for it?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Francodipshit posted:

For a soldering station, will any wet sponge work or do you need a specific kind of sponge for it?

Get a copper scouring pad if you can find one. It will last longer and work better than a wet sponge, and you don't have to bother with keeping it wet.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've read those get all lovely after a while and are more expensive than cutting a yellow kitchen sponge in half that you buy for almost a dollar each. But I do hear they're really effective for the little while they're in good condition.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Francodipshit posted:

I've read those get all lovely after a while and are more expensive than cutting a yellow kitchen sponge in half that you buy for almost a dollar each. But I do hear they're really effective for the little while they're in good condition.

Depending how heavy you are on the solder, a copper scouring pad can last quite a while.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've been using the same one for more than 5 years.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I just use regular yellow sponges, 2/$1 at the dollar store, cut into quarters. Yeah you have to keep them wet, but after 15 or 20 minutes of hard soldering I need to get up and walk around anyway. Never had any problems.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Anybody have a Spindle sander? Do you use it enough to justify it? I found one of the JET cabinet spindle sanders on craigslist for $350 when it normally retails for around $1200 new plus it has a mobile base. Seems like a pretty good deal. Thoughts?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

ShadowStalker posted:

Anybody have a Spindle sander? Do you use it enough to justify it? I found one of the JET cabinet spindle sanders on craigslist for $350 when it normally retails for around $1200 new plus it has a mobile base. Seems like a pretty good deal. Thoughts?

I have a HF spindle sander. I get quite a bit of use out of it, but it just depends on what you do. Paid $90.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ShadowStalker posted:

I just use my drill press or a drum mounted to the lathe but I use them quite a bit. They are indispensable for sanding curves. You can also rig up a mini thickness sander for small parts.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you are doing enough projects where a spindle sander would be a time saver it's worth it to make an investment in one. Using a drum in a drill press can side load the bearings and potentially screw them up. I know a lot of guitar builders use the Rigid one Home Depot sells as a way to clean up the sides after routing with a pattern.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Spindle sanders are just fantastic for cleaning up any part of anything that isn't a flat plane, ie most of what you'll ever work on.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Thumposaurus posted:

If you are doing enough projects where a spindle sander would be a time saver it's worth it to make an investment in one. Using a drum in a drill press can side load the bearings and potentially screw them up. I know a lot of guitar builders use the Rigid one Home Depot sells as a way to clean up the sides after routing with a pattern.

A design like this one puts less sideload on the bearings since it essentially adds a lower bearing

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Better, but it's still putting side-pressure on your drill press bearings, just a little more even.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
If I were to purchase one all over again I would go with the Rigid. Everyone loves them, and they do a lot more than a normal spindle sander.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
You can add a bottom radial bearing to a DP drum sander fairly easily. Shopnotes (of course) has a pretty nice design for one.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

mds2 posted:

If I were to purchase one all over again I would go with the Rigid. Everyone loves them, and they do a lot more than a normal spindle sander.

You wouldn't go with 2 separate pieces?

I was looking at getting the Jet JOVS-10 http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jovs-10-floor-model-oscillating-spindle-sander-1hp-1ph-115v/708411

And then picking up a combination Belt/Disc Sander

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Went to an auction last Saturday. There was only a couple items that I was interested in. One being a pair of 20 V Lithium Ion Black and Decker Drills.
Well, long story short, I was out of there within 15 minutes with my drill, battery and charger for much less than retail.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

mds2 posted:

I have the Rigid and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. It's a great machine. I like being able to switch from vertical belt or spindle depending on the project. $200 when I bought it a couple years ago.

Daggerpants
Aug 31, 2004

I am Kara Zor-El, the last daughter of Krypton
I've been poking around CL for a fence and I found this saw: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/tls/4098967641.html Are all Biesemeyer fences created equal? I tried to get one NIB last week for $200 but the guy sold it out from under me. Only other one listed wants $350.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Daggerpants posted:

I've been poking around CL for a fence and I found this saw: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/tls/4098967641.html

Yeah, it's like buying a Bies, looks like a 50" at that, and getting a free tablesaw. I think that is one of the Deltas w/ universal motor though, like a prom dress on a pig. If I were fence shopping I'd be all over it.

My :?: ... How bad are cheap Chinese bearings? I can buy handfuls of them for the price of one good bearing and I'm thinking of doing it. This would be for my 60 year old lathe, running up to 2500 rpm, so relatively slow as far as bearings are concerned.
nm, changed my mind; it would have been penny wise and pound foolish.

wormil fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 2, 2013

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If anyone's in need of a big combination square, Brown and Sharpe 24" squares are $60 on Amazon right now which is pretty great deal.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

powderific posted:

If anyone's in need of a big combination square, Brown and Sharpe 24" squares are $60 on Amazon right now which is pretty great deal.

Showing @ $280 for me.

In crazy deal news, I bought a 1x8x5-1/2 in. bolt for $1.00 shipped. Might not sound like a good deal unless you've shopped bolts lately.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

wormil posted:

Showing @ $280 for me.

In crazy deal news, I bought a 1x8x5-1/2 in. bolt for $1.00 shipped. Might not sound like a good deal unless you've shopped bolts lately.

$60 for me: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

If that's the one being talked about.

vvvv What are the odds...replying to a 2 hour old post within 2 minutes of each other.

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 3, 2013

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

wormil posted:

Showing @ $280 for me.

Try this one: http://amzn.com/B0002FTYK0

edit: ^ dammit, well, my link is shorter, nyah

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Alright, I am confused. I get that things cost more than the sum if their parts, but in what way is even 60 dollars a good price for that? I am asking honestly, what am I missing?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Slugworth posted:

Alright, I am confused. I get that things cost more than the sum if their parts, but in what way is even 60 dollars a good price for that? I am asking honestly, what am I missing?

As a person who is actually currently in the market for a combination square, the answer to your question is accuracy. There is a huge difference between something that "looks square" and something that is totally square, so that you can make repeating cut after cur after cut and not have small errors multiply over and over. For example, if you were cutting metal squares to lay flat on a surface, like tiling a floor. If a particular square you cut is a tiny fraction off square, no big deal right? But when your measuring tool isn't perfectly square, you make the same mistake over and over and your tiny error gets multiplied by 10 or 100 or 10000, and all of a sudden you've got a bunch of tiles that even though they are tightly butted together, are clearly not straight even to the naked eye.

And when you're machining or making tight-fitting parts, your errors get much more relevant even faster. A piston in a gas engine, for example, has to be the exact right size and exaclty square, or it will rub the sides and overheat if too big, or it'll let the explosion gases past it, leading to a huge loss of power and probably overheating and I don't even know what else.

So you're exactly right in that that seems like a huge amount of money for something you can buy one that looks just like it for $5 from Harbor Freight. The difference is the expensive one is correct to a tolerance high enough that you'll never run into it not being square, and the cheap one can get you into trouble immediately.

Doublethink
Sep 11, 2001

Umpossible my dear fellow, simply umpossible
I wish I had invested in a good square a long time ago. Once I got one I found that all my saws were off by about .5 degrees and it was driving me nuts trying to get a decent cut.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Uncle Enzo posted:

As a person who is actually currently in the market for a combination square, the answer to your question is accuracy. There is a huge difference between something that "looks square" and something that is totally square, so that you can make repeating cut after cur after cut and not have small errors multiply over and over. For example, if you were cutting metal squares to lay flat on a surface, like tiling a floor. If a particular square you cut is a tiny fraction off square, no big deal right? But when your measuring tool isn't perfectly square, you make the same mistake over and over and your tiny error gets multiplied by 10 or 100 or 10000, and all of a sudden you've got a bunch of tiles that even though they are tightly butted together, are clearly not straight even to the naked eye.

And when you're machining or making tight-fitting parts, your errors get much more relevant even faster. A piston in a gas engine, for example, has to be the exact right size and exaclty square, or it will rub the sides and overheat if too big, or it'll let the explosion gases past it, leading to a huge loss of power and probably overheating and I don't even know what else.

So you're exactly right in that that seems like a huge amount of money for something you can buy one that looks just like it for $5 from Harbor Freight. The difference is the expensive one is correct to a tolerance high enough that you'll never run into it not being square, and the cheap one can get you into trouble immediately.

How to check if a square is square and how to correct it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxrCZd7r6qE

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Slugworth posted:

This one will really bake your noodle then:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BXZUNC/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
You can buy used machinist squares for like $20 on ebay.

I bought an irwin square at home depot for like $8 and it's square to within .005" over 6". More accurate than anything you'll be cutting by hand.

MrPete
May 17, 2007
Speaking of squares, I forgot to show you guys the present I bought myself earlier in the year

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
attn: bay areans

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/tls/4105015792.html

south bend lathe for sale, we dont see these here too often.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I live in a duplex where getting new power run to the garage for tools isn't an option so I'm trying to figure out the best way to get dust collection and run a saw of any kind. My shop vac and circular saw together blow the fuse every time (although I can actually start both and saw a little bit before it blows), while my router on medium speed with the shop vac seems to be OK (haven't tried it on higher speed/more difficult material), and shop vac with little orbital sander is totally fine. The shop vac has an 11 amp motor, the circular saw 15 amp, the router 12 amp, and the sander is something really small like 3 amps. Adding to the complication, the whole garage seems to be wired up to the neighboring duplex's panel so I don't want to experiment too much and I'm not even sure what the circuit is rated for.

For now I've been using a cordless saw, but it sprays half of its dust past the blade guard into my face. The shop vac cuts it down, but not anywhere near enough. I've been eyeing the Festool track saws for quite a while now both because I like the idea of a track saw and because they're supposed to do fantastic with dust collection. My main concern is that I'll get it and still wind up blowing breakers. The TS55 has a 10 amp motor so I was thinking that it, possibly combined with a lower powered dust extractor/something with a variable speed motor, would have low enough draw to avoid overloading the circuit. Any suggestions?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Extension cord from the house, or a portable generator.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't I need a pretty beefy generator to run power tools? I don't want something super crazy loud but not super crazy loud but powerful seems to be hella expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

powderific posted:

Wouldn't I need a pretty beefy generator to run power tools? I don't want something super crazy loud but not super crazy loud but powerful seems to be hella expensive.

A decent generator, nothing too crazy though. Something in the $400 dollar range should easily provide the power you need.