Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Your Computer posted:

For those of you who still hasn't checked out TAL-NoiseMaker, it's the gnarliest VST I've ever come across. Combined with TAL-Bitcrusher it's pretty much the best thing since sliced bread!
I haven't tried that one yet, but TAL is one of my top 4 plugin vendors, alongside Blue Cat, Voxengo, and Valhalla. (Yes, I finally came around to Valhalla. VintageVerb is just plain great.)

I am kind of annoyed to admit that the Precisionsound MKS-20 sample library + TAL's free TAL-Chorus-LX chorus plugin sounds better than my hardware MKS-20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I decided to put away the POD, rest in piece old friend, and try out some VST's. I play mostly really heavily distorted guitars and I've found LePou has a lot of really good stuff. Le456 is a good 5150ish head, LeXTAC is a good recto head, LeGion is I guess kind of a SLO 100 head but it has a good variety of tone, TSE X50 is another good amp. Everyone running impulse cabs need LeCab, you can run 6 cabs at a time which is awesome. TSE also has the 808 which is an awesome tube screamer vst.

I've downloaded quite a few impulse cabs but I can't really find one that I just fall in love with. I'm mainly plaing with Redwirez and Guitar Hack. Does anyone have any set impulse cabs that they just love?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
TAL stuff is great. The free Bassline vst I used all the time, get some really nice sounds out of it.

AE
Jul 7, 2006

by Shine

Whale Cancer posted:

I decided to put away the POD, rest in piece old friend, and try out some VST's. I play mostly really heavily distorted guitars and I've found LePou has a lot of really good stuff. Le456 is a good 5150ish head, LeXTAC is a good recto head, LeGion is I guess kind of a SLO 100 head but it has a good variety of tone, TSE X50 is another good amp. Everyone running impulse cabs need LeCab, you can run 6 cabs at a time which is awesome. TSE also has the 808 which is an awesome tube screamer vst.

I've downloaded quite a few impulse cabs but I can't really find one that I just fall in love with. I'm mainly plaing with Redwirez and Guitar Hack. Does anyone have any set impulse cabs that they just love?

LE456 is based on an ENGL head, LexTAC is based on a Bogner Ecstasy, and X50's a 5150 if I remember right. Legion's actually an original amp sim he did, not based on anything, but still rocks.

The two go-to ampsims for me at the moment are Lepou's Hybrit and Lecto, which are a British sounding amp and a Rectifier. The 808's really nice, and you can get an equally-good-in-a-different-way tone with BTE Audio's TSS.

These aren't the best, but here's a bunch of impulses I made in '09. Bigger library's always better: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1108548/AEmpulses%20v1.zip

Edit: I was gonna link more but I can't find any more :[

AE fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 31, 2013

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

AE posted:

LE456 is based on an ENGL head, LexTAC is based on a Bogner Ecstasy, and X50's a 5150 if I remember right. Legion's actually an original amp sim he did, not based on anything, but still rocks.

The two go-to ampsims for me at the moment are Lepou's Hybrit and Lecto, which are a British sounding amp and a Rectifier. The 808's really nice, and you can get an equally-good-in-a-different-way tone with BTE Audio's TSS.

These aren't the best, but here's a bunch of impulses I made in '09. Bigger library's always better: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1108548/AEmpulses%20v1.zip

Edit: I was gonna link more but I can't find any more :[

Thank you for the clarification.

I'm having a lot of fun throwing a bunch of cabs in LeCab and getting some pretty cool sounds. I haven't found an amp sim that I'm in love with quite yet though.

AE
Jul 7, 2006

by Shine
Two big things with gettin' good tones:

1) You have to have a hot signal. Plugging direct in, your signal into your interface needs to be as close to clipping as it can without actually clipping. Turn all your knobs up, play, make sure it doesn't clip. You can strum like you want to break the strings to stress test the input, and adjust it so THAT doesn't clip, and you know that's safe. But I say turn the input gain up a notch or two from THAT, even, because you probably won't play any realistic riff as hard as you actually can.

2) The signal chain's important. Boost before head, head before cab. The boost is essential. I always use TSS, TS808, or TS999 to boost ampsims, and I mainly use Hybrit, Lecto, Wagner Sharp or Podfarm. I use low drive/high output from the boosts, and adjust the input/drive knobs on the head to taste. You can add an EQ anywhere you want, but it's usually most effective after the cab sim. If you put it before the cab sim, you're pretty much just affecting the tone of the actual instrument. Which, that could be good, if your instrument's highs/lows cannot be tamed.

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!

Phraggah posted:

Does anyone know of any good electric guitar VST's? I have Guitar Rig already, but no guitar actual guitar anymore! I don't especially have room or the capacity for a whole guitar at the moment so I am looking for replacements. :(

If there aren't would anyone have any ideas as to instruments I could hook Guitar Rig up to and get a pretty similar sound?

Anything from Efimov for Acoustic. Nylon guitar sounds gorgeous.

Orange Tree Evolution Strawberry Guitar for Electric. Check Youtube for demos, it is hands down the most versatile electric you will ever see for Kontakt. You shove that through Guitar Rig and no one will ever know you sold your real guitar.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Since my last post I am up to my ears in VST amps and impulses, this is fantastic. Any suggestions on a simple delay? The ones I have found are pretty detailed and complex, I'm looking for something more along the lines of a simple stompbox delay.

Any effects vsts you think are must haves I'm open to as well. I`d like to find a rotovibe but since I dont have a pedals I might have to go rotry/trem and reverb/delay.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Nermal. posted:

Anything from Efimov for Acoustic. Nylon guitar sounds gorgeous.

Orange Tree Evolution Strawberry Guitar for Electric. Check Youtube for demos, it is hands down the most versatile electric you will ever see for Kontakt. You shove that through Guitar Rig and no one will ever know you sold your real guitar.

I know it's not exactly what you were asking for, but I programmed a patch from this site into FM8 and put it on a drum and bass track I posted in the "how do I make DJ music" thread, and really couldn't be more pleased with the result. It might not be exactly what your looking for, but it did the trick for hard and heavy timbres for my tune. I'm assuming you have FM8 or some other FM synthesizer, of course.

http://www.fm8tutorials.com/tutorials/a-ripping-fm8-distortion-guitar-for-rock-and-hardcore-projects/

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Whale Cancer posted:

Since my last post I am up to my ears in VST amps and impulses, this is fantastic. Any suggestions on a simple delay? The ones I have found are pretty detailed and complex, I'm looking for something more along the lines of a simple stompbox delay.

Any effects vsts you think are must haves I'm open to as well. I`d like to find a rotovibe but since I dont have a pedals I might have to go rotry/trem and reverb/delay.
AudioDamage DubStation is super cool. I can't really understand how there can be so much difference between delay plugins, but I haven't come across one that does that dub thing so well and so easily. It's $39 though.

For free, I can't go wrong recommending you take a look at what Togu Audio Line has to offer. They have three variants of a dubdelay, one of which is at least very simple to operate.

For cleaner stuff, whatever is built into your DAW shouldn't be too bad. If that one's too complicated, take a look at GDelay and GDuckDelay, those are okay and pretty basic.

AE
Jul 7, 2006

by Shine
Both of those GVST delays rock. There's also the possibility you have stock delay(s) in your DAW. I use POD Farm usually for my delays, but that's premium software, I'm not sure how expensive anymore. The delays in POD Farm will optionally let you sync to your project's tempo, so you can have it delay precisely in quarter notes, dotted quarter notes, sixteenth notes, etc.

This is a GREAT VST pack, including a Univibe, meant to emulate guitar pedals mainly, and two amps: http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

Edit: Just found this virtual rotary speaker VST, looks awesome: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/mrdonald_by_gsi

AE fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 9, 2013

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Camel Audio have a new sample collection available for 'pay what you like' until October. You can choose how much of your payment goes to a clean water charity too:

http://www.camelaudio.com/Water-Sound-Sample-Library.php

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Been awhile since I poked my head in here.

Has there been ANY progress with Windows-only VSTs working on Macs yet? Or am I stuck with AUD file or whatever they are?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

magnificent7 posted:

Been awhile since I poked my head in here.

Has there been ANY progress with Windows-only VSTs working on Macs yet? Or am I stuck with AUD file or whatever they are?

It's a very safe bet that this will never happen.

VST plugins are compiled (OS-specific) code, they rely on other parts of the operating system (system libraries etc.) to function. Even if, say, somebody made a special Mac DAW that could host Windows plugins (which would be super difficult for a lot of reasons), the cross-platform plugins wouldn't be as stable or reliable as native plugins.

Basically this is a non-issue because 95% of the plugs out there exist in both Mac and Windows versions. The other 5% kind of sucks occasionally, but there is usually something else feature comparable. Oddball freebie plugins are probably the thing that's hardest to find a replacement for.

Anything in particular you're trying to use?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

h_double posted:

Oddball freebie plugins are probably the thing that's hardest to find a replacement for.

Anything in particular you're trying to use?
http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.php?item=2&subItem=5

Digital Fish Phones.

I miss my old favorites. drat I miss them. The developer built out Mac versions, but abandoned his project at some point. The Win version still works on my PC, but I've moved over to recording on a mac now. That compressor was just - oh - it gave me wood.

--

Of course I'm an idiot though. I just googled "replacement for blockfish vst" and found this:
http://www.audiodamage.com/downloads/product.php?pid=ADF002

Looks promising.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 5, 2013

breaks
May 12, 2001

For whatever it's worth, if you didn't already know, the same guy made the Magix Analogue Modelling Suite and U-He Satin. They are both available for Mac, but they are commercial products.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

breaks posted:

For whatever it's worth, if you didn't already know, the same guy made the Magix Analogue Modelling Suite and U-He Satin. They are both available for Mac, but they are commercial products.
And there's the rub. Blockfish is a legend for three reasons, it sounds amazing, it was free, and it sounds amazing.

There was something about how he added air into it? I don't know anything about the technical aspects of it, so I don't know what "air" meant.

I found some threads out there, (gearslutz, tapeop) discussing a suitable replacement, and I think I've found something decent. The only bitch was that I was so spoiled on the presets, and there were a lot of them. One day I should learn about how effects work, but each time I start getting into that, I become an elitist snob about how art shouldn't need know the science behind it.

Yes. Stupid, I agree.

This rough rider vst sounds pretty drat good. And the Klangheim IVGI gets me closer to that tape saturation thing. I'll keep hunting.

I found one post that said, once the developer moved over to U-He or Magix, he legally couldn't change the Fish Fillets anymore. He could maintain what's there, but couldn't port it over to new platforms. What the hell.

And NOW, I can't find the suite of Classic vsts neither, (Classic Reverb, Classic Delay, Classic EQ etc). drat it's been awhile since I did studio recording stuff.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Pretty sure those are the Kjaerhus ones.

http://www.acoustica.com/plugins/vst-directx.htm

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

magnificent7 posted:

This rough rider vst sounds pretty drat good. And the Klangheim IVGI gets me closer to that tape saturation thing. I'll keep hunting.

DCAM FreeComp is another one you might want to take a look at.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

magnificent7 posted:

There was something about how he added air into it? I don't know anything about the technical aspects of it, so I don't know what "air" meant.
I don't know exactly how Blockfish implemented it, but adding 'air' usually refers to boosting the frequencies above 10kHz-12kHz.

Depending on the implementation, you could experiment with adding an EQ into the chain that affects those frequencies, try to see what a multiband compressor would do for you or even mess around with a harmonic exciter.

Adding an EQ before or after a compressor also gives you different results, as will using different curves for the EQ.

You should look into how stuff works a bit, though. There's a difference between not knowing the science behind the art and refusing to learn the craft. There is no art where knowing what you're doing is inherently a bad thing.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Flipperwaldt posted:

You should look into how stuff works a bit, though. There's a difference between not knowing the science behind the art and refusing to learn the craft. There is no art where knowing what you're doing is inherently a bad thing.
Thanks for this - you're right.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

A cooking analogy! It's the difference between knowing and following a recipe in a free cookbook to the letter vs being able to create and improvise killer dishes through sheer know how/experience. One is a lot more art than the other.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

magnificent7 posted:

I found one post that said, once the developer moved over to U-He or Magix, he legally couldn't change the Fish Fillets anymore. He could maintain what's there, but couldn't port it over to new platforms. What the hell.

He probably had a contract that stated anything he coded while employed by his current employer would belong to his employer. It's not an entirely uncommon or unheard of employment contract clause, though it is lovely.

If that was the case, then if he made any changes to the codebase of the blockfish stuff, the rights to it would then belong to his employer, so by not touching them, he's trying to keep them freeware.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
Universal Audio was running a promo wherein you get a bunch of free plugins if you buy one of their PCIe cards.

Price was steep, but I got some amazing stuff. Classic compressors, boutique EQs, analog tape tracking and mastering simulators. It's really nice being able to get this close to the classic rock/pop sounds that I love so much. The other good thing is that the card takes the load off my computer.

Edit - specifically, this is what I got:

1176LN Classic Limiting Amplifier
1176SE Classic Limiting Amplifier
Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder
CS-1 Channel Strip Plug-In
EMT® 140 Classic Plate Reverberator
EP-34 Tape Echo Plug-In Chorus & Delay
Fairchild® 670 Compressor
Manley® Massive Passive EQ
Neve® 88RS Channel Strip
Pultec EQP-1A Legacy
Pultec Pro EQ Legacy
RealVerb Pro Custom Room Modeler
Studer® A800 Multichannel Tape Recorder
Teletronix® LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier

IzzyFnStradlin fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 8, 2013

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Diva's new OSC and filter + arp are in now, beta.

Sounds like they nailed that 8080 sound. This pleases me!

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
There's a free Reaktor module that does ssaw emu also. http://alex-shore.com/jp-4c/

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Musician's Friend is doing another one of their giveaway raffle things. That in itself is not interesting, but apparently for this one everyone who enters gets a free copy of UVI's new Mellotron virtual instrument, Mello.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pages/recording-month-sweepstakes-entry-form

It looks like you don't get the instrument until after the contest ends. Not sure when that is, since drawings are held daily. Could be at the end of the day, or it could be at the end of November when all of the daily drawings have been held.

e: Looks like it requires iLok, though, so pffffft.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 1, 2013

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
NI Razor is half-price until Dec 9th. They raised the price from $79 to $99, though (presumably because it's now 1.5 but that's still a bit naughty). I'll probably get it, been eyeing it for a while now.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths-samplers/razor/

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I've uploaded Rebirth 338 which comes in a ready to go package. I don't think it's :filez: as it's long been a free download. This version just happens to be fettled to work with Win 7 minus the arsing about. Just unzip and go!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8k0a4kboiezva5u/ReBirth%20RB-338%202.0.1%20-%20Portable.rar

Korg really should combine a few Volcas and make one of these.

Kilmers Elbow fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 22, 2013

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Oh memories... your link is set to private, btw. Don't know if that's intended or not.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

IrvingWashington posted:

NI Razor is half-price until Dec 9th. They raised the price from $79 to $99, though (presumably because it's now 1.5 but that's still a bit naughty). I'll probably get it, been eyeing it for a while now.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths-samplers/razor/

What's the verdict on this thing? Worth it? Is it mostly limited to Dub step wubs and such or what?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

What's the verdict on this thing? Worth it? Is it mostly limited to Dub step wubs and such or what?

I don't have it, but if anything is limited to dubstep wubs or whatever it's only the presets. No synth is "limited" to any one sound or genre, in fact, that would make a reaaaally lovely synth. Synths are wonderful that way.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Razor is one of my favorite plugins, you can make a lot of great sounds with it, highly recommended if you like programming your own sounds.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I'm after it because it looks massively flexible, plus it has a vocoder and I want to play with it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

I don't have it, but if anything is limited to dubstep wubs or whatever it's only the presets. No synth is "limited" to any one sound or genre, in fact, that would make a reaaaally lovely synth. Synths are wonderful that way.

Sure, but I am not getting an Odessy vst if I want to get an amazing moog sound, they definately have strengths and was merely enquiring in a cynical way wwhere they lay based upon feedback I had heard from other users.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Razor first came out a few months after Skrillex really blew up huge and Scary Monsters & Nice Sprites came out and all that stuff. NI tried to :bandwagon: and literally advertised it as a "dubstep plugin," which I think is in large part why you still hear a lot of that from people.

It definitely has some wobble presets and whatever, but I thought there was actually a pretty wide variety, and if you're programming it yourself it's absolutely not limited to that kind of thing. It's an additive that controls like a subtractive and it has got a bunch of weird "filters" and "oscillators" that couldn't really exist outside of an additive synthesizer. All really well thought out and of course now they've just released a bunch of new modules for it so it's even better.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Does NI just not do demos? Certainly interested in this, but not without testing it myself.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Nope. There's some stuff you can get for free, obviously, but no demos.

They do have decent showcases of their stuff, so I usually use that plus reviews/people here to decide if it's worth it. It's a shame, for sure.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Just logged into my Native Instruments Service Center to grab the Razor update, and there are freaking 43 updates for my NI products waiting for me, all released in the last two months.

What the hell, man. It's like Windows 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

breaks posted:

Razor first came out a few months after Skrillex really blew up huge and Scary Monsters & Nice Sprites came out and all that stuff. NI tried to :bandwagon: and literally advertised it as a "dubstep plugin," which I think is in large part why you still hear a lot of that from people.

It definitely has some wobble presets and whatever, but I thought there was actually a pretty wide variety, and if you're programming it yourself it's absolutely not limited to that kind of thing. It's an additive that controls like a subtractive and it has got a bunch of weird "filters" and "oscillators" that couldn't really exist outside of an additive synthesizer. All really well thought out and of course now they've just released a bunch of new modules for it so it's even better.

drat,my wallet didn't need to hear that. :negative: