Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Istari posted:

I too always thought it was to do with the size. In my defense, I never thought they were big enough to be from an actual buffalo, and I've never seen a buffalo wing (do we even have them in Australia ?).

That probably explains the other poster's confusion as well. I just took it for granted that everyone had some exposure to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

A lot of places differentiate around here.

Buffalo use a specific sauce, and are usually breaded. Presumably the saucee Goosed it. mentioned since I am also in Canada.

Buffalo wings aren't usually breaded. Chicken wings, fried, drenched in hot sauce (some kind of vinegar based thing mixed with butter usually). Serve with bleu cheese dressing and celery sticks.

I thought they had them everywhere (or everywhere in the US/Canada at least), so there's something I just figured out.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
In Denmark we just get bags of frozen wings, with varying strengths of spicyness. Why would you want to ruin that with celery sticks and cold dressing? Kidding aside, I would love to try an authentic buffalo wing or 20.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Buffalo Sauce is usually Frank's Red Hot with butter and cayenne. It's really good, but I've tried making it with other hot sauces and it didn't taste the same.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Kidz Bop covered Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand. :psyduck:

Stephen Hillenburg didn't write any Spongebob episodes after the movie came out. Explains the drop in quality.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Oct 6, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

BlazinLow305 posted:

Buffalo Sauce is usually Frank's Red Hot with butter and cayenne. It's really good, but I've tried making it with other hot sauces and it didn't taste the same.
3 parts Frank's + 2 parts butter, no other ingredients. All other sauces are imposters.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Nash The Slash and Slash are two different people.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

All on Black posted:

I know it's that thread and you already said it's dumb, but where on earth did that come from? They're the size of the wings of a chicken. They're not even big.

I've never seen what buffalo wings look like so just imagined they'd be big wings. :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Celery Face posted:

Kidz Bop covered Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand. :psyduck:

If that blows your mind, you probably shouldn't be told that there's a German group that has released a dozen albums of rock and pop covers performed as Cantos Gregoriano. Artists covered include Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, Queen, AC/DC, Depeche Mode and Pink Floyd.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Jedit posted:

If that blows your mind, you probably shouldn't be told that there's a German group that has released a dozen albums of rock and pop covers performed as Cantos Gregoriano. Artists covered include Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, Queen, AC/DC, Depeche Mode and Pink Floyd.
I already knew that, Gregorian is awesome. I was just confused as to why Kidz Bop was covering such a not kid friendly song.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Celery Face posted:

I already knew that, Gregorian is awesome. I was just confused as to why Kidz Bop was covering such a not kid friendly song.

It gets even weirder:
http://www.rockabyebabymusic.com/

Wordless lullaby versions of a lot of pop, rock and even rap songs. Some poor kid is going to think he's heard all of this stuff somewhere before when he gets older and hears the actual songs.

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011

Celery Face posted:

They also covered Tik Tok and Starships, and there's a Reggaeton Ninos album with Gasolina.

(Today I learned that Daddy Yankee says that Gasolina is not about semen.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Celery Face posted:

That's one of the whole points of Kidz Bop - they take that dirty heathenish pop music and make it safe for the whole family by rewriting the lyrics to be about friendship and banal things. They do it in places where it doesn't even make sense too, like Justin Bieber songs that are already pretty safe and targeted at tweens.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

That's one of the whole points of Kidz Bop - they take that dirty heathenish pop music and make it safe for the whole family by rewriting the lyrics to be about friendship and banal things. They do it in places where it doesn't even make sense too, like Justin Bieber songs that are already pretty safe and targeted at tweens.

Justin beiber songs are not safe.

Pretty soon he'll by like Ursher

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

MadMattH posted:

It gets even weirder:
http://www.rockabyebabymusic.com/

Wordless lullaby versions of a lot of pop, rock and even rap songs. Some poor kid is going to think he's heard all of this stuff somewhere before when he gets older and hears the actual songs.

The QOTSA album is strangely good.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
Sometimes people laughed a bit too hard when I said I had a self-deficating sense of humor. Then I found outthat its pronounced deprecating. I still say it the other way though and poo poo myself laughing.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
Don McLean and Bob Dylan are totally separate people.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Snopes link, please... :colbert:

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

So Killing Me Softly isn't about Tangled Up In Blue?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Boxers higher up on your waist than your jeans isn't just a fashion statement; it's way more comfortable.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The recent Cracked article on the subject (which I'm sure is why we're discussing it) pointed out that in the case of "Take Me Out", not a word was changed. Clearly, the Kids Bop people had no idea that the song was about a sniper.

Also, I love how many people in the thread have indicated that they honestly believed that Buffalo, large animals closely related to Cow, had wings. :allears:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Nobody said that at all. They said they thought they were called buffalo wings because in the theoretical universe where a buffalo had wings, they would be huge. Reading comprehension guy.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

stratdax posted:

Nobody said that at all. They said they thought they were called buffalo wings because in the theoretical universe where a buffalo had wings, they would be huge. Reading comprehension guy.

Some people are just clueless when it comes to wings. I went to a restaurant near the University a few years ago and they had "spicy chicken wings" on the menu, served with celery and blue cheese dressing. Being a human being who is aware of the world around me, given that description I naturally assumed they would be buffalo wings. They weren't. They had taken whole wings (all three sections hooked together) and fried them, then dusted them with cayenne.

I complained to the waitress, explaining that the menu implied something like buffalo wings, the waitress had no idea what I was talking about. So I explained that they were cut into pieces, then had sauce on them. She asked if I wanted to send them back - no, I would eat them, it's just I thought it would be something else.

Then I overhear her talking in the kitchen "He said they're too big!"

No, that's not what I said...

And that's the moment I figured out that I really don't give a poo poo about fixing someone's restaurant, I'll just never go there again and let them go broke (which of course they did).

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

The recent Cracked article on the subject (which I'm sure is why we're discussing it)
I didn't know there was a Cracked article about Kidz Bop, so I looked it up and just learned that Lips Of An Angel is about a cheating douchebag. It's fitting, because I remember hearing that song in elementary school and thinking it sucked.

Edit: I wonder what a Kidz Bop cover of Shake That would be like.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 03:29 on Oct 7, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

JDM3 posted:

Some people are just clueless when it comes to wings. I went to a restaurant near the University a few years ago and they had "spicy chicken wings" on the menu, served with celery and blue cheese dressing. Being a human being who is aware of the world around me, given that description I naturally assumed they would be buffalo wings. They weren't. They had taken whole wings (all three sections hooked together) and fried them, then dusted them with cayenne.

I complained to the waitress, explaining that the menu implied something like buffalo wings, the waitress had no idea what I was talking about. So I explained that they were cut into pieces, then had sauce on them. She asked if I wanted to send them back - no, I would eat them, it's just I thought it would be something else.

So, you went to restaurant, ordered some food, and then complained to the staff because it turned out to be exactly what it said on the menu?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus isn't that basically just a piece of fried chicken? What's wrong with that?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tiggum posted:

So, you went to restaurant, ordered some food, and then complained to the staff because it turned out to be exactly what it said on the menu?

goons.txt

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I have been to a couple places where they have "wings" on the menu and just give you chicken forearms. But if you order wings you better not be dissatisfied when you get wings. Are you at a small chain bar with skinny waitresses or are you at a chicken joint? That should tell you what kind of wings you are getting.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Choco1980 posted:

The recent Cracked article on the subject (which I'm sure is why we're discussing it) pointed out that in the case of "Take Me Out", not a word was changed. Clearly, the Kids Bop people had no idea that the song was about a sniper.

Also, I love how many people in the thread have indicated that they honestly believed that Buffalo, large animals closely related to Cow, had wings. :allears:

Today I figured out that song was about Franz Ferdinand and his wife getting sniped.

I always thought it was a song about wanting someone to take them out on a date or some thing. The song is super upbeat to be about something that grotesque.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

JDM3 posted:

Then I overhear her talking in the kitchen "He said they're too big!"

No, that's not what I said...

And that's the moment I figured out that I really don't give a poo poo about fixing someone's restaurant, I'll just never go there again and let them go broke (which of course they did).

This post is a piece of new-media performance art, right? I mean, it has to be. Right?

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Once I went to a Kentucky-Fried Chicken and ordered a breast meal. They only gave me half of a chicken breast. Lying thieves!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Brother Jonathan posted:

Once I went to a Kentucky-Fried Chicken and ordered a breast meal. They only gave me half of a chicken breast. Lying thieves!

Once I went to a Kentucky-Fried Chicken and ordered a breast. They gave me a piece of loving chicken.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Soulex posted:

Today I figured out that song was about Franz Ferdinand and his wife getting sniped.

They didn't get sniped. Princip was in a cafe brooding about the failure of an earlier attempt when the Arch Duke's car just happened to take a wrong turn right in front of him. He ran out and shot them with a pistol. No cross-hairs or nothing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Soulex posted:

I always thought it was a song about wanting someone to take them out on a date or some thing. The song is super upbeat to be about something that grotesque.

Still not as fun as when the girl band All Saints covered Under the Bridge, apparently without realising it's a song about being a heroin addict.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Alvin and the Chipmunks did a cover of Third Eye Blind's Semi-Charmed Life, a fun song about loving and crystal meth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps03G7WUTXY

They at least changed the lyrics. :v:
Edit: some of the lyrics, I think they still sing "I'm packed and I'm holding," "Chop another line like a coda with a curse," "I bump for the drop And then I bumped up, I took the hit that I was given" and other lines that refer to drug taking.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 12:01 on Oct 7, 2013

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
A long time ago, when I was in High School Band. I complained to the director about the appropriateness of playing 'Smoke on the Water' at Football games, and he told me "If we cut out all the songs about drug use, the only songs left to choose from would be about heartbreak, and good luck cheering the football team on with a song about your girl leaving you." I mean I don't know, find me a good song about how great it is living the the suburbs, with a steady job, wife, 3 kids and driving a minivan around to soccer practice and ballet class. Name one good song about responsible investments and a conservative 401k. The joys of regular health checkups and maintaining proper oral hygiene. I'm sure the songs exist, but they ain't making anyone's top ten list.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Lap-Lem posted:

A long time ago, when I was in High School Band. I complained to the director about the appropriateness of playing 'Smoke on the Water' at Football games, and he told me "If we cut out all the songs about drug use, the only songs left to choose from would be about heartbreak, and good luck cheering the football team on with a song about your girl leaving you." I mean I don't know, find me a good song about how great it is living the the suburbs, with a steady job, wife, 3 kids and driving a minivan around to soccer practice and ballet class. Name one good song about responsible investments and a conservative 401k. The joys of regular health checkups and maintaining proper oral hygiene. I'm sure the songs exist, but they ain't making anyone's top ten list.

Smoke on the Water is about a recording studio burning down?

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Tears In A Vial posted:

Smoke on the Water is about a recording studio burning down?

Given how many slang words there are for drugs, every song is about drugs — especially if you are on drugs.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Brother Jonathan posted:

Given how many slang words there are for drugs, every song is about drugs — especially if you are on drugs.

Well, except for Last Dance with Mary Jane by Tom Petty. That's clearly a wholesome song about his first true love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Centripetal Horse posted:

This post is a piece of new-media performance art, right? I mean, it has to be. Right?

I didn't stand on my chair and give a speech about the goddamned wings, I calmly mentioned that given the context (spicy wings, blue cheese and celery) I expected the extremely common thing that is referred to as buffalo wings or hot wings. Then the waitress picked the most irrelevant aspect of my comment (note: comment, not tirade) to relate to the cook or whoever.

Edit: As to complaining about what was actually on the menu, it reminds me of the time I went to BWW and stood on my chair to complain about the wings not being from actual buffaloes. Then I took off my fedora and bowed while the whole restaurant clapped and gave me high fives.

JDM3 has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Oct 7, 2013

• Locked thread