Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What's with the deadline?

Personal goal, I think after I turn 25 moving is much harder. So I set a deadline of 25 to decide where to move. Leaning to Portland but I know about a bunch of jobs in Charolette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Personal goal, I think after I turn 25 moving is much harder. So I set a deadline of 25 to decide where to move. Leaning to Portland but I know about a bunch of jobs in Charolette.

Age has nothing to do with the difficulty of moving. It's the presence of wife/kids/social life that makes it harder, and those usually come along with age. If you don't have people tying you down, who cares what age you are.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

I think you mean "Charlotte."

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

I think you mean "Charlotte."

It's been a long night, you game for a meetup? Drink or so is on me.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Age has nothing to do with the difficulty of moving. It's the presence of wife/kids/social life that makes it harder, and those usually come along with age. If you don't have people tying you down, who cares what age you are.

Well at some point I do hope to start achieving these things, I feel setting a move day is relative to these goals is worth it. At some point I do plan to have a wife/kids/social life..

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 6, 2013

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
CF, If I didn't know you any better, I would assume you were a girl. You seem to have this mapped out "life" like girls to with theirs, in their pretty little ribbon diary.

Their perfect story-tale wedding, their Ken-doll husband, and 2 kids with the white picket fence house.

Wake up! Nothing goes as planned, poo poo happens. Take each day as it comes otherwise everything just ends up being a disappointment.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

CF, If I didn't know you any better, I would assume you were a girl. You seem to have this mapped out "life" like girls to with theirs, in their pretty little ribbon diary.

Their perfect story-tale wedding, their Ken-doll husband, and 2 kids with the white picket fence house.

Wake up! Nothing goes as planned, poo poo happens. Take each day as it comes otherwise everything just ends up being a disappointment.

How does "hoping to have some form of relationship/family in the future" work out to "Are you a boy or a girl?"

Holy poo poo I realize poo poo goes sideways, but drat; Is attempting to make plans such a uncommon thing?

Also no gently caress living day to day, I am going to make tomorrow my bitch as much as I can because drat I want to be a VCDX before I turn 30.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 6, 2013

three
Aug 9, 2007

It's been a long night, you game for a meetup? Drink or so is on me.

Only if you admit that the VCA sucks. :)

If you want to be a VMware View Engineer in Charlotte, I can refer you to the director of hiring with a company you mentioned previously if you're interested in changing jobs ASAP.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Is this a real post

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

Only if you admit that the VCA sucks. :)

If you want to be a VMware View Engineer in Charlotte, I can refer you to the director of hiring with a company you mentioned previously if you're interested in changing jobs ASAP.

I don't believe it is the best thing ever, but I do feel it is a worth while start to many ICM students. Seriously teach and you'll understand where I am coming from, hell the dude I work with basically said the same poo poo I did http://www.vhersey.com/2013/10/vmware-certified-associate-data-center-virtualization-vca-dcv/

As far as the job thing goes, I appreciate it but not sure I can do an immediate change without some form of relocation assistance; I kinda like where I am right now but happy to talk about poo poo on OCT 25-27th. Taking another VCAP down there, so I am free to drink a poo poo load after 4pm on Saturday. I just want to focus on some place who will get me in a position of network/storage/hypervisiors. Honestly, if I got a job offer for vmware/network/storage with some places who would be willing to work on a few of my 'grey areas' I would hop poo poo in a heart beat.

Docjowles posted:

Is this a real post

I have no idea

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 6, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Here is where a guy who literally has the handle Misogynist calls you out on being a sexist rear end

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Docjowles posted:

Is this a real post

So mapping out your life like it is some movie script is a good thing?

Married by 30
Kids by 35

I am glad I am no where near that high strung and uptight.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Married by 30
Kids by 35

Goals are bad, everyone.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Married by 30
Kids by 35

What the gently caress are you talking about.

Hold on I think I got where you are coming from..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHa8ikoNy3I

Wicked sweet mang! Fuk da system, ppl tryin to hold me down! I won't conform to the norm for I am euphoric in every way.

Thanks for reminding me why I cosplay as Dan from Dan vs. and go to con's yelling at people drunk; or drunk work my way to stars er some poo poo.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 6, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Married by 30
Kids by 35

It was more the impressive display of sexism I was responding to.

Misogynist posted:

Here is where a guy who literally has the handle Misogynist calls you out on being a sexist rear end

There's been a lot of good ones, but this may be the best Misogynist post :drat:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 6, 2013

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Wake up! Nothing goes as planned, poo poo happens.

And what's wrong with having a plan?

I wouldn't really set it on a age thing but more-so maybe once I accomplish certain goal - once I'm done paying off my students loans then I'm move to a bigger city.

As mentioned before, age doesn't really impact your ability to re-locate it's having kids/significant other. One thing I think a lot of miss is the impact of being somewhere long term vs. short term. Sure, you'll make friends before you move but it's not the same when you've known people for 5-10+ years.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Married by 30
Kids by 35

I think you're probably young enough still where you think that age is a question of mind over matter, that you're as young as you feel, and so on. This is pretty untrue across the board, but I don't believe there's any area where this line of thinking is more damaging than in reproductive health.

Within ob/gyn, 35 is pretty much considered the age where pregnancy is a much more serious risk for both mother and child. There's a significantly larger risk for complications like preeclampsia or gestational diabetes in the mother, and the chances of having a child with a chromosomal defect (i.e. Down syndrome) is about ten times higher in a mother at 35 years of age than it is at 25 years of age. The age of the father at conception has a significant correlation to the risk of a child developing autism or schizophrenia. Walking in with a plan isn't being high-strung, it's being careful and minimizing your chances of having a child with a significant developmental disability or a dead mom.

Most people who want kids have more than one, so if you're looking to be done by 35, it makes sense to get started around 30. 1 in 6 Americans have fertility problems to begin with, and a Michelle Duggar impression isn't recommended for the mother. You're supposed to put some time in between those things.

This is the worst loving derail, and I am so sorry.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm not trying to get married until around 30, but then again I also didn't plan on working in IT when I was 18. So who the gently caress knows.

At the moment, though, the ability to go "Eh, gently caress it" and move clear across the country without having to drag people or lots of things with me is pretty nice.

three
Aug 9, 2007

psydude, will you marry me? We can work in IT together.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

three posted:

psydude, will you marry me? We can work in IT together.

Only if we can be a DC IT power couple.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Alright so to get back on track,

Where do you all see IT jobs growing in the next few years? The Charlotte area seems to have some high opportunity as Atlanta is growing and the location makes it a hop/skip/jump up and down the mid east to south east. Which is driving me there.

Portland on the other hand seems to have a bunch of international offers, as well as, a focus on engineering. Not to mention the work area doesn't seem to be so military/gov focused as the east coast. Not to mention the landscape is much more interesting.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Still seems to be a fair amount going on here in Texas, but then again, you have to move to Texas.

In my defense, I was desperate. :smith:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Portland, Texas and Atlanta.

Why? It's way cheaper than the Bay Area or New York.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Portland, Texas and Atlanta.

Why? It's way cheaper than the Bay Area or New York.

That and I hate living in a City, Charlotte appeals to me because I can be in a city, one minute and buttfuck no where the next with a low as gently caress cost of living.

Portland has that not to far away herbal supplements, as well a geography, decedentish people, but lacks the cost of living benefit of Charlotte/gastonia.

of course I would like to get away from the "Hey dilbert why don't you ever come to the range with us or own a zillion guns?" HOW MANY GUNS DO YOU NEED BESIDES LIKE A HAND GUN AND RIFLE????

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Saw 26 new posts in the IT thread on a Saturday and knew CF was involved.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

GOOCHY posted:

Saw 26 new posts in the IT thread on a Saturday and knew CF was involved.

Hey to be fair I wasn't the one starting this poo poo.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That and I hate living in a City, Charlotte appeals to me because I can be in a city, one minute and buttfuck no where the next with a low as gently caress cost of living.

Portland has that not to far away herbal supplements, as well a geography, decedentish people, but lacks the cost of living benefit of Charlotte/gastonia.

Portland and Charlotte are about the same population wise however maybe Portland is a little more expensive? That's what I got from looking at Craigslist for less than a minute.

I don't know how much you're making but it's obviously more than $55k/y - and in which case living in a city is going to be more-than-affordable. I'd wager that less than a third of your income would be spent on rent/mortgage + utilities and if so you I don't see why you should have any concern. Any half-decent financial adviser would tell you you're using your money correctly.

Besides, isn't the new rich thing to do to live in the city?

I think all Working in IT Goons should move to Portland - it sounds like fun and I want to move there! :haw:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

of course I would like to get away from the "Hey dilbert why don't you ever come to the range with us or own a zillion guns?" HOW MANY GUNS DO YOU NEED BESIDES LIKE A HAND GUN AND RIFLE????

Drinking tonight?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Drinking tonight?

Somewhat, but seriously, VA is MAH GUNS and gently caress out employees central.

I wish I was making up co workers bragging to me about how many guns/rounds they owned; or bragging "hey dilbert did you know your lancer only gets 129HP, while my car gets >150?" HOLY poo poo NO I DON'T GIVE A poo poo CAN WE PLEASE TALK ABOUT VMWARE/NETWORK/STORAGE? I only bought my car because it was a steal and reminded me of some car I liked in Midnight Club 2.

Sometimes I think I am the only one at my job who goes home at night and spergs over network storage and hypervisiors.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 6, 2013

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

"hey dilbert did you know your lancer only gets 129HP, while my car gets >150?" HOLY poo poo NO I DON'T GIVE A poo poo CAN WE PLEASE TALK ABOUT VMWARE/NETWORK/STORAGE?

Sometimes I think I am the only one at my job who goes home at night and spergs over network storage and hypervisiors.
This just in: some people care about things which aren't directly related to their job. This tends to be when you're over 25 and you're not quite so driven or you realize it's a bigger world.

As long as you're so passionate, you may want to read about non-vmware technologies. Even if it's just so you know more about Xen, KVM, HyperV, Openstack (not really a hypervisor, but y'know), etc.

I'm a Linux Dev who loves Linux and hypervisors. But I also want to talk about whiskey. And lifting. And Warmachine. And whatever. It's normal for other people to also talk about the poo poo they're into or knowledgeable about.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I mean I don't mind making the small talk, listen to tales, and all; I'll be polite and stuff. However the conversation ends up to a "so dilbert what do you like?" which aside from network/hypervisors/storage, ends up in well... awkward

VVV - no I don't talk about cartoonshows I like. I just mean I have to try and talk about something on the spot which is a bit tideous.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 6, 2013

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I mean I don't mind making the small talk, listen to tales, and all; I'll be polite and stuff. However the conversation ends up to a "so dilbert what do you like?" which aside from network/hypervisors/storage, ends up in well... awkward

:ughh:

You can't be serious?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

However the conversation ends up to a "so dilbert what do you like?" which aside from network/hypervisors/storage, ends up in well... awkward

Wow. OK, well.....this is not something you can blame on your coworkers as you seem to be doing for your last few posts.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

VVV - no I don't talk about cartoonshows I like. I just mean I have to try and talk about something on the spot which is a bit tideous.

Yeah, your coworkers definitely all sound like a bunch of autistic losers.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Cars, bicycles, guns and food are pretty common topics of conversation in the IT cave at my current gig.

Since we got a guy up from Louisiana who's going to be filling in for me, we've added Jambalaya and hurricanes to the rotation. Most people don't live and breathe their job.

As an aside, talking to the dude from Louisiana who's been on a support contract with their power company for years has convinced me that doing disaster IT for hurricanes actually sounds pretty awesome. Except for that whole living in Louisiana thing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Citizen Z posted:

As an aside, talking to the dude from Louisiana who's been on a support contract with their power company for years has convinced me that doing disaster IT for hurricanes actually sounds pretty awesome. Except for that whole living in Louisiana thing.

If you don't mind travel, roughing it for days at a time and insane hours it's actually a whole lot of fun. You get to be REAL creative with stop gap solutions which I like.

Add an amateur radio license to round out your nerd-fu and it's a blast.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I wish I was making up co workers bragging to me about how many guns/rounds they owned; or bragging "hey dilbert did you know your lancer only gets 129HP, while my car gets >150?" HOLY poo poo NO I DON'T GIVE A poo poo CAN WE PLEASE TALK ABOUT VMWARE/NETWORK/STORAGE? I only bought my car because it was a steal and reminded me of some car I liked in Midnight Club 2.

<-- only person in my department that doesn't bowl or obsess over Star Trek or eat Arby's every day for lunch

I just hang out with marketing that's where are the cool people are anyway.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I just hang out with marketing that's where are the cool people are anyway.

Every work conference I try to hang with the salespeople, as the sales boss has a tendency to get a VIP table at the clubs with bottles upon bottles of champagne and vodka.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

luminalflux posted:

Every work conference I try to hang with the salespeople, as the sales boss has a tendency to get a VIP table at the clubs with bottles upon bottles of champagne and vodka.

Sales people + conferences = strip clubs

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Sales people + conferences = strip clubs

The success of your sales team is directly proportional to their alcohol consumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

In stark contrast to IT where it's a meaningless indicator because everyone is just a raging alcoholic across the board :guinness:

• Locked thread