Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

I watched Suspira a few nights back, last night I watched Opera.

Hahahah what the gently caress? Are all of his movies so wildly different in tone/quality/lighting/script/acting?

I liked how nightmarish Suspira felt, with the over the top lighting, storyline, the sets, etc. And the lead seemed more sympathetic too.

With Opera is sort of felt like he didn't want to make a slasher movie, but did it to try and cash in on their popularity, but also tried to make it more 'artsy' and just mucked it up. Yes there were a few tense moments,but it was just so corny that I didn't really like it. And lighting wasn't as good as Suspira.

Side note:God drat he does love to work in as many "swooping" style camera shots in as possible though.

I think I'm judging this too harshly because I disliked every movie I watched last night, including Twitch of the Death Nerve and The Beyond.

Opera, Twitch of the Death Nerve, and The Beyond are real cream-of-the-crop Italian horror, so it's possible the weird tone of Italian horror overall is just not for you (although the former and the latter are pretty contentious, but then so is the whole subgenre).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

weekly font posted:

It also e-brake hard slam tokyo driftus into a new movie about 50 minutes in, just like Martyrs.

Yeah holy poo poo what just happened here? Movie went from relatively generic A GHOST IS TAKING OUR KIDS to something totally different in five seconds flat.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

rxcowboy posted:

With Opera is sort of felt like he didn't want to make a slasher movie, but did it to try and cash in on their popularity, but also tried to make it more 'artsy' and just mucked it up.

Are you familiar with giallo? Because he was making one of those.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The problem is, it stops actually doing anything with that for like a solid 45 minutes of the movie. Between Tatum's death and the reveal at the end, it just makes clunky allusions to other movies while Sidney runs away from Ghostface and a couple of people die (in significantly less interesting ways than in the earlier parts). And when it seems to finally remember that it's about rape culture, it picks up on the less interesting part of that analogy (Sidney's mother's death, versus the situation Sidney herself is in) and muddles it up a lot with its incessant winking at the audience.

I dunno if that's fair, I think we can forgive a slasher movie giving us a long and involved chase scene in the third act, and even then, that stretch of the film also features the sex scene as well as Randy's "Rule number one: you can never have sex" monologue, so it's not like the movie forgot about its themes.

A friend of mine told me once that Scream was her favorite horror movie because it exploits (in her opinion) every young woman's biggest fear: the idea that every man, deep down, only wants sex from you and will manipulate your emotions to get it.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Pope Guilty posted:

FYI, The Tall Man despite its marketing isn't really a horror movie at all.

If anything, it's a fable. I liked it for a lot of the same reasons I liked Martyrs.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I watched Frankenstein's Army last night, and...I don't know what to say. I'm having trouble processing it. Yeah, it was camp, yeah it was grotesque, but the whole thing just made me deeply uncomfortable. No matter what was happening in the movie, I kept thinking to myself "this actually happened." Not the Nazi cyborgs, of course, but the rapes, the casual torture, the gutted villages, the firepit full of nuns, the mining carts filled with limbs, the kitchen filled with rows of dangling bodies...that happened. It's in the historical record. It's part of the collective memory of Eastern Europe. And I can't tell if Frankenstein's Army is exploiting the imagery to make a monster movie or is depicting some sort of truth about the nature of the conflict using the language of a different genre, akin to remaking Come and See as a grindhouse film. The film does end with one of the Soviet characters having half his brain replaced with that of an SS officer's, causing him to become incapable of doing anything other than scream and tear his skin off, so that wouldn't be too much of a stretch to argue.

Yeesh.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Terrible acting? The worst audio dubbing I have ever heard in a movie that sounds like it was done completely in post production by a half blind and mostly deaf amateur? A plot that makes no sense? A hilarious "what the gently caress?" of an ending? A shitload of gory special effects that are actually pretty good?

Watch Pieces!!

Other than the gore, this might be the worst made movies ever, but for some reason I really loving enjoyed it. I honestly thought I was watching slapstick at points.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Over the past two days I watched Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II. I quite liked the first Hellraiser, the pace was slow but I thought it was a good build up. The effects were gruesome and great. But the second one though, I thought it was confusing and the pacing was a mess. If I didn't like II, should I even keep going in the series?

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Over the past two days I watched Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II. I quite liked the first Hellraiser, the pace was slow but I thought it was a good build up. The effects were gruesome and great. But the second one though, I thought it was confusing and the pacing was a mess. If I didn't like II, should I even keep going in the series?

No. For the love of god, no.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
Hellraiser 3 is one of the worst "director didn't understand the premise of the originals" sequels ever and is worth seeing for that alone.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Undead Unicorn posted:

Hellraiser 3 is one of the worst "director didn't understand the premise of the originals" sequels ever and is worth seeing for that alone.

This is a perfect summation.

Also, if you dig Hellraiser, you might check out We Have Such Films to Show You, a podcast where a couple of guys from Metafilter talk about the Hellraiser movies and probably put more thought into them than the directors did past about #2. Recently they've run out of Hellraiser movies and done Cabin in the Woods and The Prophecy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Craig Spradlin posted:

If anything, it's a fable. I liked it for a lot of the same reasons I liked Martyrs.

How can you like Martyrs? It's a really well made movie but it is impossible to like it.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Watch the one that's about the MMO game and then retire

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alhazred posted:

How can you like Martyrs? It's a really well made movie but it is impossible to like it.

A lot of people liked that movie, as I recall.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

A lot of people liked that movie, as I recall.

Watching Martyrs is like being punched by Muhammad Ali, while you certainly can say that his technique is good it's not something you would enjoy or experience again.

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.

Alhazred posted:

What's not to like about a group of delusional shut-in weirdos who get off to the pain and disfigurement of pretty young women?

Also that movie Martyrs is pretty good.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I kind of enjoyed Hellraiser 3 just for that club scene.

But I am really surprised at only one mention of the Halloween 35th Blu Ray. Gorgeous transfer.
The commentary track owns with Curtis basically showing why this movie owns and most horror
is idiotic poo poo. Halloween just was nearly damnedest perfect out of the gate.

(Plus if we ever invent time travel I am taking Chris Nolan back in time to recruit PJ Soles to play Harley Quinn.
She would be loving perfect and I will not hear otherwise.)

Only issue is the packaging makes my Blu Ray collection look awkward. It and RHPS are the only BRs in that book
format and it looks unclassy. Even if they both own.

My only other October horror watch so far has been Grave Encounters I got for 5 bucks. Its not bad. Basically Blair Witch
in an asylum but way less subtle. More likeable cast though. And it takes potshots at these reality paranormal
shows like Ghost Hunters and Monsterquest. (Where the only monsters found are the enormous blue balls each
episode gives the viewers.)

My Dvd and Blu Ray backlog is massive though. Maybe I will take a picture tomorrow and have the thread tell me
which one to watch or rewatch as the case may be.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 5, 2013

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

TUS posted:

Watch the one that's about the MMO game and then retire

You may as well watch them all just so you can see how, as bad as they got, not having David Bradley in the last one made it worse than even the MMO one.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Watching Martyrs is like being punched by Muhammad Ali, while you certainly can say that his technique is good it's not something you would enjoy or experience again.

As a Canadian movie it would be more appropriate to say it's like being elbowed by Gordie Howe.

After all the Sleepaway Camp talk, I finally watched part 3. I would have watched it a lot sooner if someone had told me that Michael J. Pollard played the camp stud.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

Darko posted:

You may as well watch them all just so you can see how, as bad as they got, not having David Bradley in the last one made it worse than even the MMO one.

I was sort of digging the found footage aspect of Revelations... then it turned into some bizarre home invasion movie and plummeted.

Captain Rufus posted:

I kind of enjoyed Hellraiser 3 just for that club scene.

But I am really surprised at only one mention of the Halloween 35th Blu Ray. Gorgeous transfer.
The commentary track owns with Curtis basically showing why this movie owns and most horror
is idiotic poo poo. Halloween just was nearly damnedest perfect out of the gate.

I saw it on amazon and Im going to pick it up with a gift card I won at work. Good to hear it transferred well!

TUS fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 5, 2013

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Patchwork Shaman posted:

As a Canadian movie it would be more appropriate to say it's like being elbowed by Gordie Howe.

After all the Sleepaway Camp talk, I finally watched part 3. I would have watched it a lot sooner if someone had told me that Michael J. Pollard played the camp stud.

The most memorable thing about Sleepaway Camp 3 is that it has the same Asian lady from the original Night of the Demons. Also, I've wasted my life.

Edit: Well that and using a flagpole to piledrive someone.

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 6, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I just watched Poltergeist for the first time ever and am nearly speechless. It was that good. What a work of horror art. I'm floored it didn't get at least nominated for an Oscar when it was released.

Naturally, my next question is thus: how much do the sequels suck?

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I haven't seen the second one in forever but the 3rd one is so god drat bizarre it's worth a one time watch.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
A lot of people are going to tell you that Poltergeist II sucks, and while it IS quite a step down from the first, I think it's worth a watch. It really seems to lose something moving the setting to Arizona, the whole desert motif doesn't suit the movie, IMO.

Also, it has a cool poster that I'd post if imgur wasn't giving me problems (the poster that's all black except for the girl on the toy phone in the bottom-right corner).

If you were around in the late 80s/ early 90s and the phrase "He's/ She's/ They're bAAAAAaaaack" was a meme, it's worth noting that it came from this movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Poltergeist 2 has a couple cool parts like the tequila worm scene.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Captain Mog posted:

I just watched Poltergeist for the first time ever and am nearly speechless. It was that good. What a work of horror art. I'm floored it didn't get at least nominated for an Oscar when it was released.

2 isn't as good as the original but it's pretty great. I've never seen 3 so I can't comment.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Alhazred posted:

"Liked" in the sense of "appreciated the thought and craft that went into it, and felt afterwards like I had experienced something unique and worthwhile", as opposed to "was entertained by it."

Although I'm sure there are people who "liked" Martyrs. The sort of people who talk about "quality of tits and gore" as a serious metric for the worth of a film.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Poltergeist 2 has a couple cool parts like the tequila worm scene.

Yeah, that was some great creature design. The movie is worth it for that alone.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Well, I rewatched Tuesday the 17th. The static / interference thing is straight out of Silent Hill's radio (the first game) and a million Slenderman clips, and there's no reason not to take what she says about using her friends at face value. Also if the title was supposed to be significant, I'd expect that they'd have have told us what it was.

I'm glad I watched it again, because probably I just don't like found footage. They give the camera to the most annoying person, and the shakey-cam and ad-libbing that's supposed to seem "real" just comes across as sloppy, lazy, and unprofessional. I don't know if it's a shortcoming of the format, but the sophistication caps at Secret witch cabal! or A betrayer! and I generally prefer a more developed story than that.

I did like Last Exorcism, which managed to have a lot happening off-camera before (and during) the film. I'm not going to write found footage off completely, but it seems like most effective when it's telling non-compelling stories about irritating people I don't care about.

That Halloween 35th Anniversary blu ray says it features the filmed-for-TV scenes - does anyone who has it know if it's integrated in the movie or if it's a bonus extra?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
^ Sadly no. The 10 minutes of TV footage are a separate thing. And no commentary for it either as far as I can tell.

But my DVD selections of horror/ish stuff full of both watched before and never seen:

(Forgive the flash.)

I am thinking THE BLACK CAT from the Bela Lugosi collection tommorow afternoon/evening.

Lugosi.

Karloff.

A game of revenge and madness.

The Horror Hound magazine is just so folks know of the other good general horror magazine after Rue Morgue. (Fangoria sucks.)
It is quite good. Not exactly as smart as Rue but not totally light like Famous Monsters of Filmland or as trashy as Fango.

This issue is pretty decent so far. They have 31 zombie movies to watch without resorting to Romero or the other big zombie films.

A second choice instead of Black Cat would be some Christopher Lee Dracula heat.

I will cook up some spaghetti and maybe take a mile and a half or so round trip walk to get some Pumpkin Spice Coffee at Dunkin
Donuts while listening to Night Vale and watch me some classic horror that is even older than me. Maybe pick up some
Sour Patch Kids too.

What can I say? I grew up in the 80s with CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE on Channel 56 out of Cambridge Mass.
And those old Black and White Crestwood House Monster Books. You know the ones. In most school libraries. Orange spines.
Godzilla, Dracula, Frankenstein. Sometimes even with a read along cassette! :3
The Wolf Man one messed me up as a 7 year old back in the early 80s.

There were glossier full color books similar about ghosts and monsters and UFOs that I wished I could remember who made them.
And ones with hex and chit wargames for like the Old West and stuff!

But thankfully James Rolfe is such a horror geek I now know the Crestwood House books took up gobs of my childhood sleep!

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 6, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Craig Spradlin posted:

"Liked" in the sense of "appreciated the thought and craft that went into it, and felt afterwards like I had experienced something unique and worthwhile", as opposed to "was entertained by it."

Although I'm sure there are people who "liked" Martyrs. The sort of people who talk about "quality of tits and gore" as a serious metric for the worth of a film.

When I say I liked Martyrs, I certainly hope the person takes my meaning that it was a good film.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Watched Don't Go in the Woods (the 2010 one). I...what in the hell did I just watch?

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 6, 2013

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

DeathChicken posted:

Watched Don't Go in the Woods (the 2010 one). I...what in the hell did I just watch?

A Vincent D'Onofrio home movie apparently??

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Captain Mog posted:

Going back to Poltergeist chat for a second, it really has fallen off the pop culture map a bit, hasn't it? Despite the fact the movie was a smash and is arguably the all-time greatest haunted house flick (I'm sure people can site a few they like better, but most 'haunting' movies since have been more specialized in a way while Poltergeist is a very all-encompassing affair, if that makes sense. It feels like THE haunted house flick while most others are a type of haunted house flick).

I think a lot of horror fans haven't really claimed the movie (it's a summer blockbuster, like Jurassic Park except with ghosts instead of dinosaurs) so it gets somewhat overlooked as a genre classic. It's other possible claim to fame, as 'the Steven Spielberg haunted house movie', is also a bit muddled as it's technically not his film even though his influence is everywhere on it. I feel like the movie 's fallen through the cracks in the collective cultural memory and doesn't get its due.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
If by "fallen off the pop culture map" you mean "has been emulated by many films that made BANK recently" then yes I agree. Look at Insidious 1/2 and Conjuring and check out how much money they made from a very similar formula.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JP Money posted:

If by "fallen off the pop culture map" you mean "has been emulated by many films that made BANK recently" then yes I agree. Look at Insidious 1/2 and Conjuring and check out how much money they made from a very similar formula.

Yeah, but Poltergeist itself has fallen off the radar a little. Consider: practically every major horror movie of the post-Exorcist era seems to have been remade, but nobody thought to remake Poltergeist until the films emulating it were successful.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The Freelings make up one of my favourite on screen couples, they're just great and totally believable. It reminds me of the easy chemistry that Coach and his Wife has in Friday Night Lights.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

lizardman posted:

It's other possible claim to fame, as 'the Steven Spielberg haunted house movie', is also a bit muddled as it's technically not his film even though his influence is everywhere on it. I feel like the movie 's fallen through the cracks in the collective cultural memory and doesn't get its due.

It technically probably is his film - I actually see more Spielberg direction than Hooper direction when watching now; the reports of him ghost directing 90% of the movie are probably true.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jedit posted:

Yeah, but Poltergeist itself has fallen off the radar a little. Consider: practically every major horror movie of the post-Exorcist era seems to have been remade, but nobody thought to remake Poltergeist until the films emulating it were successful.

The Poltergeist remake has been in development since like 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

lizardman posted:

Going back to Poltergeist chat for a second, it really has fallen off the pop culture map a bit, hasn't it? Despite the fact the movie was a smash and is arguably the all-time greatest haunted house flick (I'm sure people can site a few they like better, but most 'haunting' movies since have been more specialized in a way while Poltergeist is a very all-encompassing affair, if that makes sense. It feels like THE haunted house flick while most others are a type of haunted house flick).

I think a lot of horror fans haven't really claimed the movie (it's a summer blockbuster, like Jurassic Park except with ghosts instead of dinosaurs) so it gets somewhat overlooked as a genre classic. It's other possible claim to fame, as 'the Steven Spielberg haunted house movie', is also a bit muddled as it's technically not his film even though his influence is everywhere on it. I feel like the movie 's fallen through the cracks in the collective cultural memory and doesn't get its due.

It definitely has Spielberg written all over it, that's for sure. It's really bombastic, cheesy and dramatic but it works, as is the case with 90% of his other movies. The dude pulls stuff off that ordinarily would completely, utterly fail if attempted by others and that's why he's one of the greats.

I think half of the reason why I enjoyed it so much was because of how much I liked the characters. They were all so lovable, even the dog. It just has this really whimsical, almost lighthearted feel that clashes with the freakish scenes of supernatural terror, but again: it works so drat well. The speech the mother had with the paranormal investigator lady about the afterlife during the night investigation stood out as one of my favorite parts in the whole film and there weren't even any ghosts during the whole scene.

I think comedy/horror (though it should be noted that "comedy" doesn't necessarily always equal "funny") is one of the best combinations there is, when it's done right. In the case of Poltergeist, it was done expertly.

e: Wikipedia lists a remake to be released in 2014 and produced by Sam Raimi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poltergeist_(film_series)). He is the only other one aside from Spielberg himself whom I would trust to pull it off.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 6, 2013