Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just got my two net10 numbers transferred to gophone relatively painlessly. I made the mistake of activating the sims before calling and had to run to the corporate store to get two more for free.

Can anyone who has an iPhone on gophone share which setting on unlockit.co.nz they using? GoPhone isn't working.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Just got my two net10 numbers transferred to gophone relatively painlessly. I made the mistake of activating the sims before calling and had to run to the corporate store to get two more for free.

Can anyone who has an iPhone on gophone share which setting on unlockit.co.nz they using? GoPhone isn't working.

Thanks!

Holy cow, they really set GoPhone up proper. It wasn't working because I was putting settings in. I removed the APN settings and my iPhone5 fired right up and working perfectly. I think even MMS is working... If this is true, then GoPhone is THE poo poo. Had to reset network settings on the wifes 4S, but that's up and running just fine!

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died

Mister Fister posted:

For straight talk users, i purchased a 3 month unlimited card for $109.99 from gamekeyplanet on ebay (howardforums have confirmed it's a legit seller, it has lots of feedback and a long history too).

That works out to about $36 a month for unlimited talk/text/2.5 gig data (LTE).

Is this a code or is it a physical card mailed to you?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Quick trip report for my net10 porting to GoPhone with my iPhone 5 and 4S.

As net10 is a reseller for AT&T, it seemed like the port was ridiculously easy. I had purchased the sims in advance, created the accounts and got some temporary numbers. I called customer support to get the port going and they said in order to complete the port they needed fresh sims. I went to the corporate store and after receiving two free sims I called the customer support number (will update this post with the actual porting department number when I get home) and in 15 minutes had both phones ported over to GoPhone. For net10, the account number was my IMEI on the sim card and there was no PIN code needed.

I was struggling to get the data to work on my iPhone and kept going back to unlockit.co.nz to get the right APN selected until I realized that GoPhone is not 100% supported by AT&T. I removed all APN profiles and every function on my iPhone works, even LTE. So, to summarize:

net10 Account number for porting: IMEI of sim card
net10 Pin number for porting: None (some have said last four of phone if given hassle)
Data: LTE (in Ann Arbor, MI) quick test showed 78ms ping, 14.71 down, 4.20 up :420:
MMS: Working natively without any changes needed. Successfully sent picture to Android user on Verizon
Visual Voicemail: Working, had to call in and set up initially and then change the pin code in my Settings to enable
Short codes: Working, receiving local news alerts that I signed up for via nixle.
Tethering: Haven't tried, not in my use case

Hope this information can help someone else as I had a hard time finding all of it on my own.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Not to stalk you, but your unlocked T-Mo One works fine (LTE and all) on AIO, right?

Yeah, haven't seen anything but LTE and HSPA+ so far.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
I currently have the prepaid $30 T-Mobile plan (100 min/5gb data/unlimited text).

Is there a real difference switching over to Straight Talk (t-mobile) for my plan if I wanted to upgrade to unlimited minutes? T-Mobile doesn't seem to offer this type of pre-paid plan anymore. I'm not sure if I would lose my HSPA+ or not.

It looks like using straight talk for at&t is also an option for more coverage? But I understand those speeds may be slower as a compromise. I have a Nexus 4 is this makes a difference.

poxin fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 7, 2013

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

poxin posted:

I currently have the prepaid $30 T-Mobile plan (100 min/5gb data/unlimited text).

Is there a real difference switching over to Straight Talk (t-mobile) for my plan if I wanted to upgrade to unlimited minutes? T-Mobile doesn't seem to offer this type of pre-paid plan anymore. I'm not sure if I would lose my HSPA+ or not.

It looks like using straight talk for at&t is also an option for more coverage? But I understand those speeds may be slower as a compromise. I have a Nexus 4 is this makes a difference.

You could try a VOIP solution paired with your data such as Vonage (this has been discussed within the last page of posts).

If you decide that you don't wanna gently caress with VOIP then Straight Talk isn't a bad option. People with new AT&T SIMS are getting LTE service now, but since you've got an N4 you'll only get 3G. AT&T coverage is overall better in the states but not necessarily in your area, YMMV.

Theoretically if you have good service in your area from Tmo you could see HSPA+. I guess it just depends if you have good coverage or not.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Is there any way on Aio wireless to determine exactly how much data you've used? With the little graph they show it's basically impossible to tell.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't know about AiO, but the wireless data meter built into Android tracks my data usage very closely to what TMobile says I'm using.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Did tmob recently change the $30 plan? It says this now:

quote:

This plan is only available for devices purchased from
Wal-Mart or devices activated on T-Mobile.com

Seems to imply BYO won't work.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

MrBond posted:

Did tmob recently change the $30 plan? It says this now:

Seems to imply BYO won't work.

It seems to imply that you can activate the device you brought online. Which is what it was before, wasn't it?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

tonic posted:

Is there any way on Aio wireless to determine exactly how much data you've used? With the little graph they show it's basically impossible to tell.

The "MY AIO" app on my phone (and you should be able to download it from the app store) shows exactly how much I use each day. It's right under the vague bar graph-y part.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="420337651"]
It seems to imply that you can activate the device you brought online. Which is what it was before, wasn't it?

Yeah, sounds exactly like it always was.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

BonoMan posted:

The "MY AIO" app on my phone (and you should be able to download it from the app store) shows exactly how much I use each day. It's right under the vague bar graph-y part.

Anything similar for gophone on ios?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So I just realized I could add a non-contract line (already have the device) to my wife's AT&T plan for $9.99 + data charges. Why didn't I think of this sooner?

I went into an AT&T store today, added a month-to-month line and 5gb of tethering data for $49 (I have a 23% work discount). That's a much better deal than the $70 AIO I was looking at (I use a lot of data for SiriusXM and Slingbox).

I have an unlocked T-Mo HTC One. Everything works fine but the tethering. Doesn't work at all. Is this because it's a T-Mo phone? I think the authentication isn't working because it doesn't have the AT&T software. Bummer.

I really don't want to buy an AT&T HTC One and sell my T-Mo One. Anything I'm missing here or will tethering just never work?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

hotsauce posted:

I really don't want to buy an AT&T HTC One and sell my T-Mo One. Anything I'm missing here or will tethering just never work?

It works out of the box on my T-Mobile HTC One on Aio even though they state they don't allow tethering. Both via bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Strange.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

tonic posted:

It works out of the box on my T-Mobile HTC One on Aio even though they state they don't allow tethering. Both via bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Strange.

Yeah, it's really strange. Shows "limited" connectivity in Windows and an exclamation point in OSX. Won't connect (with or without password protection on wifi).

Guess it's either convert to a GPe, hope I can trade it for an ATT version or just drop my hopes and dreams of official tethering. Just when I thought I had it all figured out...

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Aio trip report (coming from T-Mobile $30 plan):

Activation: My number ported from T-mobile instantly. I activated the SIM online. It arrived within 2 days of shipping. No hassle at all.

Service: Generally excellent. I had AT&T here a while back and the coverage seems basically on par with that, except that there is LTE here now, so data is noticeably faster. AT&T has HSPA+ here in lots of places where T-Mobile is still EDGE or no service, so that's nice. Speed tests on LTE generally showed around 8mbit download, HSPA+ was considerably slower at around 2-3mbit. Upload may be capped on LTE at 1mbit? I couldn't get a test result to show better than that.

Support: Used the webchat serveral times and it never took long to get to a rep and they helped me out (somehow my voicemail was initially setup in Spanish). They refused to give me the 3rd month of service free (a promo on their website) because I activated a day too late which kind of pissed me off.

Apps: Visual voicemail (Android app from Aio) worked as expected, pretty minimal. My Aio app can be used to pay your bill or get a data usage estimate. They also have a Wi-Fi app that connects your phone automatically to their hotspots, actually noticed that I was using one at some point, I think near a Kinkos?

Conclusion: Overall, I recommend their service, especially if you are in an area where T-Mobile doesn't have great coverage.

I will likely switch back to T-Mobile in the next couple of months, however, for a couple of reasons:

1) Price. For 5gb of data on Aio, you're going to be shelling out more than twice as much as on TMo.

2) Tmo LTE here is much, much faster than Aio.

3) Tmo service is actually better in my apartment than AT&T. Weird.

tonic fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 9, 2013

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
My family has been on a Verizon family plan for a few years. I like it because my mother is still paying for my monthly bill.

Anyways, she had been talking about going with my dad onto prepaid phones (probably Straight Talk). I had been skeptical about it, but after looking at how I use my phone (email, text, web, Kindle, and occasional games), I could see myself doing the same. Thing is, she's being talked out of it by others and is conflicted now. She's tempted to switch our plan to an 8GB/month Verizon family share and upgrade her and dad to iPhone 4S, while my brother and I will be free to stick around.

I've been coming around to the idea of going prepaid (even if it means shelling out another $50/month). She'd go with Straight Talk, I'd do either that or Target's Brightspot, and my dad and brother would ride out their contracts for the next year (I'd send my current phone to my dad). What's the best way to try to demonstrate to her that this is the right path? Is there any good resource that breaks down the financial and practical differences between traditional contract phones and prepaid smartphones?

As for myself, I said I'm leaning toward Brightspot or Straight Talk, but what's the current opinion on Virgin?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like there are a few Omaha people in this thread—have any of you been on AIO? My AT&T contract is up this month and I was thinking of switching to something cheaper. I'd probably do the $55 plan since I tend to stay right under that on my current AT&T plan.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

powderific posted:

Looks like there are a few Omaha people in this thread—have any of you been on AIO? My AT&T contract is up this month and I was thinking of switching to something cheaper. I'd probably do the $55 plan since I tend to stay right under that on my current AT&T plan.

I'm on AIO and it's pretty drat good.

Compared to Straight Talk, it's like a cheap postpaid with no roaming.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="420337651"]

Yeah you're right, I confused myself. Nothing to see here!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm on Virgin Mobile, and (mostly) okay with the service, especially given the price. But I'm tired of fighting with my old Optimus V and want to upgrade to something nicer.

The two I'm looking at in my upper end of my price range on VM's website:
LG Optimus F3 4G LTE ($150)
Samsung Galaxy Victory ($200)

I prefer to root/flash my devices, and don't want to go over $200. Which of those devices would I be better off with, or is there something else they don't offer on their website that would work better, within that price range?

I'd consider switching services, but 300 minutes/unlimited text/unlimited data (throttled after 2.5 GB) works well for me, since occasionally I have need to use my phone for tethering to my netbook.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

taiyoko posted:

I'm on Virgin Mobile, and (mostly) okay with the service, especially given the price..

I'm looking into getting a Virgin Mobile plan. Can you comment on their reception indoors? I live in a major metropolitan area (Seattle,) if that matters.

E: I work in a brick building, so that's why I worry.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

TequilaJesus posted:

I'm looking into getting a Virgin Mobile plan. Can you comment on their reception indoors? I live in a major metropolitan area (Seattle,) if that matters.

E: I work in a brick building, so that's why I worry.

I go to college in Atlanta, but I generally don't have any reception issues there except for in elevators (probably just the whole 'being a metal box' thing). The main worry I'd have would be if you go out rural. I'm just on the edge of having reception at my house, and even then I'm usually all right, but heading out to a friend's house on the back roads, I have spotty-to-no reception most of the way there. Being in a metropolitan area, you should be fine, though.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

taiyoko posted:

I'm on Virgin Mobile, and (mostly) okay with the service, especially given the price. But I'm tired of fighting with my old Optimus V and want to upgrade to something nicer.

The two I'm looking at in my upper end of my price range on VM's website:
LG Optimus F3 4G LTE ($150)
Samsung Galaxy Victory ($200)

I prefer to root/flash my devices, and don't want to go over $200. Which of those devices would I be better off with, or is there something else they don't offer on their website that would work better, within that price range?

I'd consider switching services, but 300 minutes/unlimited text/unlimited data (throttled after 2.5 GB) works well for me, since occasionally I have need to use my phone for tethering to my netbook.

The f3 is a pretty nice little phone for the price, I wouldn't bother with any non flagship samsung phone.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

PrivateEyeball posted:

My family has been on a Verizon family plan for a few years. I like it because my mother is still paying for my monthly bill.

Anyways, she had been talking about going with my dad onto prepaid phones (probably Straight Talk). I had been skeptical about it, but after looking at how I use my phone (email, text, web, Kindle, and occasional games), I could see myself doing the same. Thing is, she's being talked out of it by others and is conflicted now. She's tempted to switch our plan to an 8GB/month Verizon family share and upgrade her and dad to iPhone 4S, while my brother and I will be free to stick around.

I've been coming around to the idea of going prepaid (even if it means shelling out another $50/month). She'd go with Straight Talk, I'd do either that or Target's Brightspot, and my dad and brother would ride out their contracts for the next year (I'd send my current phone to my dad). What's the best way to try to demonstrate to her that this is the right path? Is there any good resource that breaks down the financial and practical differences between traditional contract phones and prepaid smartphones?

As for myself, I said I'm leaning toward Brightspot or Straight Talk, but what's the current opinion on Virgin?

Did you ask your mom why she didn't want to do prepaid? Maybe they had a very good reason like AT&T or T-Mobile have terrible coverage near you and the only good choice is Verizon. Also, if your parents need 8GB/month Straight Talk and AIO probably won't have enough bandwidth for them. For the monthly cost savings just figure out what your monthly bill, taxes, and phone cost will be vs prepaid. Generally prepaid is going to have a much higher up front cost because of the phone but will save you a few hundred dollars over the life of the contract.

As far as the iPhone 4S do not get that on Verizon. It doesn't have LTE which is what you really want on Verizon to get acceptable speeds. Have them get the 5C for $100. Also, when it is time to upgrade again the 4S will be a 4 year old phone which is going to suck. Your parents want to give Verizon $200/month for a phone bill but get the "free" phone. The old "free" phones are for suckers. I'd honestly get the 5S and sell it in 2 year which will make up for the initial cost of the phone.

Virgin sucks is my opinion. Sprint's network is very hit and miss for data speeds. A year ago when I used them it wasn't enough to stream Pandora reliably let alone actually use the phone. Also, your going to buy an unsubsidized phone that only works on one carrier so it will have terrible resell value. I would stick to any of the GSM carriers/MVNO (Straight Talk, Brightspot, T-Mobile) just for better phone selection and better phone resale later.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Awesome, think I'll be making the switch then.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ThermoPhysical posted:

Straight talk or AIO is a cheap postpaid?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Athenry posted:

Straight talk or AIO is a cheap postpaid?

AIO.

Straight Talk is like Cricket in the sense that the customer service is crap, the coverage isn't the best (AIO actually has service in lots of places around Omaha that ST just couldn't get), and the data is iffy and you're constantly looking over your shoulder (the fact that they've finally announced the 2.5GB/mo data cap isn't really anything, they're still cutting people off early).

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

ThermoPhysical posted:

AIO.

Straight Talk is like Cricket in the sense that the customer service is crap, the coverage isn't the best (AIO actually has service in lots of places around Omaha that ST just couldn't get), and the data is iffy and you're constantly looking over your shoulder (the fact that they've finally announced the 2.5GB/mo data cap isn't really anything, they're still cutting people off early).

ST works great for me :D $36 a month and getting 20 mb/s LTE is great. Haven't gotten warnings or cutoff either. Guess it depends on where you live.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

If I am shopping eBay for GoPhone refills, will any denomination work? Can I buy up a bunch of $50 refills and throw them on the account for the $60 unlimited plan? I would think so, but before I start gobbling them up I'd like to make sure of it.

Thanks!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

TraderStav posted:

If I am shopping eBay for GoPhone refills, will any denomination work? Can I buy up a bunch of $50 refills and throw them on the account for the $60 unlimited plan? I would think so, but before I start gobbling them up I'd like to make sure of it.

Thanks!

That's what i've read, i've heard you get better discounts with some larger denominations. You better ask howardforums though, there are some 'experts' there.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

gariig posted:

Did you ask your mom why she didn't want to do prepaid? Maybe they had a very good reason like AT&T or T-Mobile have terrible coverage near you and the only good choice is Verizon. Also, if your parents need 8GB/month Straight Talk and AIO probably won't have enough bandwidth for them. For the monthly cost savings just figure out what your monthly bill, taxes, and phone cost will be vs prepaid. Generally prepaid is going to have a much higher up front cost because of the phone but will save you a few hundred dollars over the life of the contract.

As far as the iPhone 4S do not get that on Verizon. It doesn't have LTE which is what you really want on Verizon to get acceptable speeds. Have them get the 5C for $100. Also, when it is time to upgrade again the 4S will be a 4 year old phone which is going to suck. Your parents want to give Verizon $200/month for a phone bill but get the "free" phone. The old "free" phones are for suckers. I'd honestly get the 5S and sell it in 2 year which will make up for the initial cost of the phone.

Virgin sucks is my opinion. Sprint's network is very hit and miss for data speeds. A year ago when I used them it wasn't enough to stream Pandora reliably let alone actually use the phone. Also, your going to buy an unsubsidized phone that only works on one carrier so it will have terrible resell value. I would stick to any of the GSM carriers/MVNO (Straight Talk, Brightspot, T-Mobile) just for better phone selection and better phone resale later.

Her recent desire to stick with Verizon is because she had coworkers and friends laugh at the idea of prepaid (like I think most of us have at some point). They wouldn't be using much data themselves, since the 8GB/month plan would also include me (I use about 1GB on average) and my brother (who frequently goes up to 2.5GB). I think they'd be happy with Straight Talk, which is what my mother was considering to begin with.

Regarding Virgin, I've been looking in that direction because the 300 minute plan sounds perfect. I COULD get by on T-Mobile's 100 minute plan, since most of my phone calls are to family and friends (who also use Skype) and occasional job interviews (which probably wouldn't top 100 minutes/month). I'm also horribly tempted to go high-end with whatever prepaid carrier I ultimately go with, which I really can't afford to do. Or need to do, since I do my gaming and other big stuff on iPad.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I got my folks to switch by ask "you pay how much??!!" Granted, they only a few hundred minutes, no texts, and no data, so I got them on the $30 TMobile 1000 minutes or texts plan, but it's drat better than the $55 they were paying before.

I used Virgin for a bit and it was fine, but I didn't have a phone to really utilize it. I like TMobile better, mostly for the not lovely phone selection. But, weirdly, I live in an area (central IL) where Sprint has better coverage than TMobile, especially out in the boonies. Not like the service Verizon has, but I don't need that kind of reception enough to pay twice as much for it.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Uthor posted:

I got my folks to switch by ask "you pay how much??!!" Granted, they only a few hundred minutes, no texts, and no data, so I got them on the $30 TMobile 1000 minutes or texts plan, but it's drat better than the $55 they were paying before.

I used Virgin for a bit and it was fine, but I didn't have a phone to really utilize it. I like TMobile better, mostly for the not lovely phone selection. But, weirdly, I live in an area (central IL) where Sprint has better coverage than TMobile, especially out in the boonies. Not like the service Verizon has, but I don't need that kind of reception enough to pay twice as much for it.

If they don't even text or use data, you should put them on something like the $80 page plus plan which gives you 2000 minutes and lasts for a year. That's what i did with my parents.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

PrivateEyeball posted:

Her recent desire to stick with Verizon is because she had coworkers and friends laugh at the idea of prepaid (like I think most of us have at some point). They wouldn't be using much data themselves, since the 8GB/month plan would also include me (I use about 1GB on average) and my brother (who frequently goes up to 2.5GB). I think they'd be happy with Straight Talk, which is what my mother was considering to begin with.

Regarding Virgin, I've been looking in that direction because the 300 minute plan sounds perfect. I COULD get by on T-Mobile's 100 minute plan, since most of my phone calls are to family and friends (who also use Skype) and occasional job interviews (which probably wouldn't top 100 minutes/month). I'm also horribly tempted to go high-end with whatever prepaid carrier I ultimately go with, which I really can't afford to do. Or need to do, since I do my gaming and other big stuff on iPad.

FYI, the T-Mobile 100 minute plan charges 10c/minute for overages; that's still relatively low for prepaid plans. If you are in the "I generally don't use minutes much but what if I need to?" category, I wouldn't be concerned about the low allotment.

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008
Was wondering how well the 5s performs on virgin (thats what I use now with a dumb phone) ? I don't want to spend 650 on a paper weight if virgin blows with data. Would I be better off going to a contract with t-mobile?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Maybe? Ask a friend with sprint and one with tmobile to see how their reception is.

The limitation won't be with the iPhone but with the service instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Got my Straight Talk (AT&T) SIM Card and put it into my (factory unlocked) iPhone 5 after trimming it down. Connects to 4G and I can make calls just fine. Just noticed that imessage and FaceTime are not activating though. This seems to be a common problem? So I've tried resetting my network settings, turning the phone and iMessages/FT on off, etc. I'm still stuck trying to activate.

• Locked thread