Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

By the way, just in case someone here hasn't seen this yet, this is a full page ad that you may have seen if you read PC Gamer or any other such magazine during the hype of Daikatana:

I remember seeing these in magazines back in the day. I like that they bothered to trademark "Suck It Down."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Brutal Doom v19 trailer is awesome in my opinion, mocking DNF just makes it better.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FirstPersonShitter posted:

What is important about Daikatana to me is the type of failure it is. There are ten thousand worse FPS games than Daikatana, but they're lovely because nobody cares, because they were on a tight budget, because they were a cynical, boring cash-in.

Daikatana is a beautiful failure. It is born of the care, of the vision, of the passion of a team that had the budget, had the advertising, had the fame. It didn't fail because nobody really cared about it. It's not merely bad or mediocre. It's perfectly flawed in so many ways. There's nothing cynical or half-assed about it.

Someone used their whole rear end to make this game and it is terrible.

Daikatana isn't Transformers 2. Daikatana isn't Diehard 4. Daikatana is The Room, and John Romero is it's Tommy Wiseau. And for that reason I love it more than all the mediocre CODs and Halos in the world.

edit: i punched the chair out from under this fat man

I still remember reading the anecdote in Masters of Doom about how the Daikatana people eventually came under such massive pressure that one day they found a guy just screaming in his cubicle.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I still remember reading the anecdote in Masters of Doom about how the Daikatana people eventually came under such massive pressure that one day they found a guy just screaming in his cubicle.

Hahaha holy loving poo poo. The Gamespot article about Daikatana made the development process seem pretty bad, but that is in a league of it's own. It sounds like it is a great thing that Romero has never been allowed to be the director of a project after Daikatana bombed.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Romero was basically the ideas guy who thought he could take that experience on to be the leader of a project. He couldn't.

Romero and Carmack, please get back together and make something cool.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

By the way, just in case someone here hasn't seen this yet, this is a full page ad that you may have seen if you read PC Gamer or any other such magazine during the hype of Daikatana:

He was kind of successful though wasn't he? Being someone's bitch isn't supposed to be a pleasant experience.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Yeah, but it wasn't exactly a pleasant experience for Romero either

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

closeted republican posted:

It sounds like it is a great thing that Romero has never been allowed to be the director of a project after Daikatana bombed.

Prepare to have your mind blown: https://www.facebook.com/RavenwoodFair

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Didn't John Romero also want Quake to be an RPG originally? It would explain why Ranger has an axe as a melee weapon. :black101:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Quake was a half-finished fantasy game and a half-finished sci-fi game smashed together.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Starhawk64 posted:

Didn't John Romero also want Quake to be an RPG originally? It would explain why Ranger has an axe as a melee weapon. :black101:

Quake was the name of a character in their DND game (The daikatana was the most powerful sword in the adventure as well), who had a flying talking cube with him.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Please tell me it's true that John Romero rented out the whole top floor of a building and put a black curtain over top of his cubicle because it was too bright for his spergitude.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dominic White posted:

The repeatedly delayed final version of Brutal Doom is now officially releasing on Halloween.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBBs18HUZik

Not sure why the video is in a dinky window like that, but it's a cool enough trailer.

Having played a test build a while back, my main hope is that they greatly reduce the chance of Revenants being able to split in two and for the torso to crawl around shooting at you. The hitbox for the torso is annoyingly small, and they do full damage despite being a smaller target.

It'd be interesting if it happened maybe one in ten kills, but it's about 50/50 right now.

Yeah, the Revenants splitting in two is way too common, and the torsos seem to take as much additional damage as it takes to kill a Revenant ordinarily. If you aim a little short of the chest/head region, there's a pretty good chance that it'll simply split the Revenant, who will continue to move and attack with the same power and frequency as if it still had its legs. I actually don't really like the feature at all, since it looks sort of dumb, is executed somewhat poorly, gives an enemy an unwarranted buff, and makes the player feel considerably less powerful when dealing with them.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Please tell me it's true that John Romero rented out the whole top floor of a building and put a black curtain over top of his cubicle because it was too bright for his spergitude.

Yeah, its in Masters of Doom. They had a penthouse with a glass ceiling, but the glare was awful on the monitors so people put tarps above their cubes.

KozmoNaut posted:

Nice use of "Invaders Must Die", though.

And the Duke stuff, because lets be honest Duke wasn't really using it to its full extent.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 3, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Yeah, its in Masters of Doom. They had a penthouse with a glass ceiling, but the glare was awful on the monitors so people put tarps above their cubes.

I remember my dad's girlfriend coming to our house when I was 14 or so, and I was sitting in my pitch black room like a troglodyte--some kind of primordial dweeb--making a Duke3D level. She flipped my overhead light on and I practically recoiled. She then asked me in her Boston accent, "cahn't cha see bettuh now?" and I tried to explain to her that the glare just made it harder to see what was on the monitor. Oh, how the light made me so miserable. Can't focus on making this sweet Build map if I'm too distracted by the fingerprints on my screen, right? She wasn't my mom, either!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, the Revenants splitting in two is way too common, and the torsos seem to take as much additional damage as it takes to kill a Revenant ordinarily. If you aim a little short of the chest/head region, there's a pretty good chance that it'll simply split the Revenant, who will continue to move and attack with the same power and frequency as if it still had its legs. I actually don't really like the feature at all, since it looks sort of dumb, is executed somewhat poorly, gives an enemy an unwarranted buff, and makes the player feel considerably less powerful when dealing with them.

I don't mind it as an idea, but I'd like to see it happen less often, and for the half-Revenants to maybe fire less often, and generally have a bigger hitbox and less health.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

DAIKATANA EPISODE 2: DEATH TAKES A DISC TO THE FACE

When last we saw hour hero, Hiro, he had vanquished the drugs-weasels, escaped Kage Mishima's fiendlishly compact array of evil locations, and claimed the titular large sword for his own. In our kinder reality he never met up with Mikiko and her awful accent, nor did he free Superfly Johnson (known in the japanese dub as Excellent Genitals).

Instead he now ventures forth alone, cast adrift on the sea of time for some reason. Where will he end up?

Well it turns out Ancient Greece for some reason. He wakes up on a beach, immediately finding a frisbee, and magically knows it's ancient greece. Probably he had a magic time watch/gps to go with his magic sword. Or he just saw some white sand and fallen over columns and thought 'Yeah it's ancient greece'.

I like this episode better than the first episode. It isn't all crappy looking like the first episode. For the engine it looks pretty drat nice overall. It has daylight and colours so way to go ion storm. The weapons are also better. Still not really good though. But check out this screenshot:

It's not exactly super sexy but it does look pretty cheerful and I think that helped my mood during this episode. The screenshot also shows my favourite weapon from the episode, and the weapons are what I want to get into right away:

WEAPON ZERO: THE DAIKATANA: this swordy thing stays with you for the rest of the game. It starts out extremely crappy. It has a really weird, slow swing combo and its kind of hard to time, which is really terrible for the whole jab-and-dodge strategy you have to use for melee weapons in old fps games. Using it is like watching a drunk try to get his front door key into the keyhole. He never quite gets the target, but he gets frustratingly close. Also it looks like a bad 3D render of a shopping network katana that a man with autism would have on youtube.

But luckily for this crappy sword it has a secret. It levels up. When you kill enemies with it, it gets XP, which you can see the progress of by holding tab. It has 5 levels of power, and the later levels take a long rear end fuckin time to get. What the levels do is make it glow more and more and swing faster and hit harder. Eventually it swings fast enough to compensate for how extremely lovely the combo animation is at which point it becomes a useful weapon. Apart form when you hit level 5 and it glows so bright you cant see poo poo when you have it out.

There is a caveat with it though. And it involves a system i totally forgot to explain at all in the last post.

You see, Daikatana has a really half-assed RPG lite system. You kill dudes, you level up, you can put a stat point into attack power, attack speed, player speed, jump height, or health. To entice you away from just putting the points into useful stuff like attack power and health, the speed and jump height stats add annoying sound effects. The jump height one literally plays the bionic man sound effect when you jump after you put 1 point in it, and it gets progressively louder the more points you put in. Seriously. The speed one plays a ninja wooshing noise when you start moving.

Levelling up the daikatana seems to eat up all your player XP though and stop you levelling. Which is terrible cause it gives you a choice to make: make your sword non-terrible or make all the other weapons in the game non-terrible (as far as possible at least). Its awful. God why. It doesn't help that, although powerful, the daikatana is boring as hell to use as it is just a melee weapon like any other. I could be wrong on this, but I spent most of episode 2 levelling the daikatana and got no player levels, then as soon as I started killing with other weapons I started getting levels again.

Back to the weapons:

1. The frisbee: you find this on a beach. It's a magical frisbee with blades on and some engravings. Hiro constantly flips it over in his hands. YOu throw it at enemies and it bounces back and returns to you so you can throw it again. Which is not how frisbees work at all. You can get more of them and it lets you effectively fire faster as you can throw more while the others return. It's reliable, it can't hurt you, but it's boring. Worth noting that you end up with like 10 of them but the timing is such that you never really get to throw more than three at a time so its pointless having so many.

2. Nate & Gus, Partners in Crime: these guys are the two headed snake from my screenshot up there. They were cosplaying as the logo for medicine when lightning struck and now they fight crime with the help of their buddy Hiro. This weapon spits poison balls that bounce around and have a weird, hard to aim arc. Also they can hit and poison you. When you get up close they switch to biting which is nice because it at least prevents you killing yourself up close. The bouncing poison blobs can settle on the ground too and stick around for a stupidly long time so you can step on them. Its still one of the more useful weapons in this episode because of its rapid fire and powerful hits.

3. Pottery Barn Blowout: this thing is called the Sunflare, and it's a little pot with fire coming out of the top. You throw it in a weird arc that is hard to aim and it starts a huge area effect fire that burns the poo poo out of everything, especially you. There is a delay between clicking and firing, but not one you can control like with Quake 2 grenades. This makes it especially easy to burn yourself in doorways with. It would be a powerful weapon if the hit detection and throwing werent so loving terrible but really using it will kill you. What really pisses me off is the ancient greeks had a type of napalm called greek fire, and this is obviously meant to be greek fire, but it's called the loving sunflare for some goddamn reason.

4. You find this weapon in a temple across from this statue:

So which god do you think it is themed around? That's right: Hades. When you pick it up a spooky voice tells you of its power BUT ALSO DANGER. It's a lovely rear end hammer that is attached to Hiro's foot by a giant elastic band. They don't show this on the screen, but when you click you have to hold the mouse button down while the hammer slowly raises and plays a cartoon elastic band stretching noise. When you release it slams down and creates a shockwave that damages you and catapults you into the air. Its powerful against enemies but the extreme slowness of the setup and the self-damage meant I literally used it once. You can use it to rocket jump with too, although it is immediately made worthless by the next weapon in that regard.

5. The Rocket Launcher: Poseidon, acknowledging how pissed you were when it turned out the poseidon temple had a hades weapon in, gives you this POWERFUL TRIDENT. It looks all fishy, it has webbing between the prongs and is scaley. It animates pretty nicely with the webbing moving. Its texture is just really comic bookey looking though and it feels out of place. Check it:

It attacks by firing off its tips as water blasts and then regrows them in a fairly lovely animation. The water blasts act as rockets, complete with rocket jumping and self damage. A triple rocket launcher sounds good, but the spread is so large that you only ever hit with one of them regardless of range, and the damage is pretty lovely, even the basic monsters can take a blast from it and keep going. The best part is its ammo pickups are GIANT HUMAN SIZED STATUES OF POSEIDON. Hiro must have a strong back.

6. THE ZEUS IS LOOSE: this is the BFG of the episode. It's called the Eye of Zeus and it is a big metal eye on a stick. You shake it around and it kills everything in the room with lightning. Powerful but the shaking around is really slow, and if it decides it doesnt detect any enemies it just won't fire. Kills the episode boss in two blasts though.

What's weird with the god weapons is they all come with a voiceover from the gods like it's some big event, but you can find the weapons earlier in secrets. It's like finding spare Excaliburs in a broom closet. It seems weird for poseidon to give me a talking to about how I need to use my trident only for good, when I already have a trident and I've been using it mostly to smash sacred urns in Poseodon's own temple.

With the weapons done let's tackle Greece itself. John Romero boldly re-imagined ancient greece as a true post-racial society. Centurions fight bravely alongside giant spiders, harpies, strangely racist seeming knife goblins (although I'm not sure who against) and also the reanimated corpses of their dead friends. Everyone gets along here, apart from the griffons who are huge pricks. But now all of ancient greece has united against one foe: a Future Japanese Man. They all hate you for unspecified reasons, and want to impede your journey to go somewhere for some reason. The enemy design in this episode isn't too bad. Nothing has hitscan weapons, there's really no AoE damage from enemies at all, no gun turrets. The worst you get is tiny little spiders who are hard to hit with any of the weapons. The enemies are mostly melee focused which makes them kind of pushovers compared to the bastards in the first episode. It seems weird to me to step the difficulty down like that, but I guess this is just the lull in the storm of John Romero Making Me His Bitch. Even the giant statue minibosses go down without much of a fight at all.

The enemies are ugly though. The skeletons are overcomplicated and have like 500 drat bones. The knife goblins have 3 poly legs. The Centurions are dressed like strippers with exposed abs.

They're also unimaginative and characterless. It's like a greatest hits of ray harryhausen movies, only in a non-awesome way. The sound design and animations are boring.

The levels are also unimaginative and boring. Playing in coop solo lets you skip all the terrible 'get superfly to stand on this pressure plate' puzzles which takes away from some of the frustration factor, but I still got lost and confused in one puzzle segment because the path you're meant to go down is an indistinct tiny hole in a cliff. There's a huge fetch quest which was frustrating as they hid parts you need in really dickish places, like underneath the opaque water in a decorative floor pond thing that the player just barely fits into. Why would you look in there? I only found it because I was looking for secrets. The level design does not hint that it is at any point anything other than a random floor detail.

I also managed to totally break a set-piece in the first level which required me to restart the entire level again. You summon Charon, who is the only guy with a boat in all of Greece, using the horn of Gondor. You pay him with a Drachma, which is an ancient greek coin of which there is only one in the world, and it is hidden in a temple. The days before inflation were crazy huh? Anyway I got pissed watching Charon slowly boat his rear end over to me, so I threw my frisbees at him, and one of them lodged right on his face, eternally spinning, and wouldn't return to me. This stopped Charon's movement completely so he never came over to the beach so I couldn't finish the level because my stupid disc wouldn't return. It was pretty funny.

For some reason Medusa, known bastard, is the villain in this episode, and the final section of it is in her temple which is like a greatest hits of bad level design. I'm guessing she stole the abstract concept of time from the greeks so the daikatana doesn't have any years to run on or something. You have to swim through poison and manage both your air supply AND your poison antidote supply, which doesnt tell you when it's going to run out, only when it has run out, and is so common you might as well have not friggin bothered putting the mechanic in the game.

The medusa levels also feature the worlds worst depictions of snakes in some of the level design, with their tongues of red felt and their blocky faces. Teeth all just made of one white triangle. Terrible.

The boss fight is also terrible. When you enter the boss fight area a grey overlay starts flashing slowly over the screen. It seems like a graphics bug but it is apparently some kind of blinking mechanic for looking at medusa, but the game doesn't really inform you of how it works. I couldn't tell if the grey was meant to be medusas rays turning me to stone, ie my eyes open, or if it was meant to represent my eyes being closed. Anyway I just saved and loaded till I managed to kill her without dying. It took two blasts of the Zeus cannon. Killing her made all her past victims, who surprisingly are monsters, unfreeze and attack. I don't get why the monsters were guarding her if she was the only jerk in a perfect post-racial society, but then again I didn't get to see the cutscenes. I skipped the ambush by jumping in the mysterious green portal to the next episode.

Hopefully its music will be as good as episode 2s.

NEXT TIME: DAIKATANA EPISODE THREE: NO SHIRT, NO SHOES, NO MERCY.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 5, 2013

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

And of course the glass ceiling meant that their A/C bills were stupid high.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

4. You find this weapon in a temple across from this statue:

So which god do you think it is themed around? That's right: Hades. When you pick it up a spooky voice tells you of its power BUT ALSO DANGER. It's a lovely rear end hammer that is attached to Hiro's foot by a giant elastic band. They don't show this on the screen, but when you click you have to hold the mouse button down while the hammer slowly raises and plays a cartoon elastic band stretching noise. When you release it slams down and creates a shockwave that damages you and catapults you into the air. Its powerful against enemies but the extreme slowness of the setup and the self-damage meant I literally used it once. You can use it to rocket jump with too, although it is immediately made worthless by the next weapon in that regard.

Actually you can let go of the Mouse button early to still do a metric shitload of damage but avoid the self harm. :eng101:

... Why the gently caress did I buy this game. :eng99:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

The Centurions are dressed like strippers with exposed abs.

This just looks like a stupid '90s version of one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_cuirass

LvK fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 5, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, I forgot how much of a loving psychopath Doom 64 turned the Doomguy into. Though it's just flavour text the manual talks about how therapy and doctors couldn't help his mental state after the events of the first game, and intro write-ups for secret levels and act breaks start implying he's actively enjoying the slaughter and the way demons are freaking out because holy gently caress this guy is murdering everyone and smiling all the while. :catstare:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Man, I forgot how much of a loving psychopath Doom 64 turned the Doomguy into. Though it's just flavour text the manual talks about how therapy and doctors couldn't help his mental state after the events of the first game, and intro write-ups for secret levels and act breaks start implying he's actively enjoying the slaughter and the way demons are freaking out because holy gently caress this guy is murdering everyone and smiling all the while. :catstare:

Now that I think about it, the end to Doom 64 makes perfect sense. Doomguy becomes so corrupted by Hell itself that not even Hell can hold him back. He kills the leaders, and decides to just sit in Hell instead of returning to Earth. And why would he? Hell is where he belongs.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, haha.

"You wonder where all the bad people will go now..."

They'll still go to hell, but Doomguy will be waiting for them. :getin:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That's a great ending.

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
Indeed it was a great ending. I guess it also explains why Doom 3 ended up being more of a remake of the first Doom.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

It'd be cool if they'd had Doom 3 be set chronoligically after all the other dooms and had the new cyberdemon at the end be the original doomguy corrupted by the time he spent in hell.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm still wondering if we'll ever get Doom 4. But if we do I don't mind if we just get Carmak to work with Flying wild Hog because these guys totally nailed it with Shadow Warrior. Get Sgt Mark IV for some doom comic feeling and we get a proper modern Doom game. Just before someone mentions it: No, no real gore. A gently caress yourself button or at least something like Blood Dragon's bird flipping would be nice too.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

It'd be cool if they'd had Doom 3 be set chronoligically after all the other dooms and had the new cyberdemon at the end be the original doomguy corrupted by the time he spent in hell.

It wouldn't be that cool, actually.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

An Enormous Boner posted:

It wouldn't be that cool, actually.

Well you're really gonna hate my doom fanfiction that incorporates steampunk elements and the wide, varied austism-based universe of homestuck.

Daikatana actually has really good music in it, it seems unfair that the music team got lumped in with such a lovely game. This track really stood out to me as being frickin rad.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

dorkanoid posted:

Hey, Daikatana isn't all bad, the music in E3M2 was awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-3cgBDtW6w

Well you're really gonna hate my doom fanfiction that incorporates steampunk elements and the wide, varied austism-based universe of homestuck.

Daikatana actually has really good music in it, it seems unfair that the music team got lumped in with such a lovely game. This track really stood out to me as being frickin rad.

:colbert:

:v:

the music was easily the best part of the game!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

dorkanoid posted:

:colbert:

:v:

the music was easily the best part of the game!

Great minds think alike, clearly. Although they aren't great enough to not play daikatana in the first place.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The first part of Daikatana's Episode 2 is actually pretty fun. The level design isn't bad at all and it gives you plenty of opportunities to slice up enemies with the Daikatana, which is one of the few fun weapons in the game. It goes to poo poo when you enter the temple, but hey, there's actually a fun part in Daikatana.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

QuestWhat posted:

Indeed it was a great ending. I guess it also explains why Doom 3 ended up being more of a remake of the first Doom.

I really don't mind that Doom 3 ended up being a pseudo-remake of Doom 1. It's a really good concept to play around with artistic design choices and show off your new fancy technology, since you can go from straight-up space technology to the classic Id Software space gothic look and there's a lot of stuff to work with there.

It's interesting, in that it was released right before Half-Life 2. Both games definitely have major tech demo elements to them. Doom 3 looks better than HL2 does but the latter is clearly the superior game by a massive margin. If Doom 3's gameplay was at a level above "tepid" it would have been probably as influential in the FPS scene as Doom 1 was. As it is, it's just an interesting footnote in gaming history whereas Half-Life 2 is one of the most influential games of the 21st century.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Sadly not as influential as whatever gave us regenerating health and cover buttons. What was wrong with moving behind a wall being your cover mechanic? It's not like this is a rail shooter!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
A cover button gives the player a way to confirm that they're in cover rather than having to guess or find out they aren't when they think are the hard way, since in an FPS you can't see your character's model to confirm it visually.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I never got to play the Star Trek Elite Force games back in the day, and I was thinking of getting a copy (of the first one since the second seems to be >$40 everywhere?). Only thing is that it's a Windows 98/2000 game and I feel like there's usually a lot of compatibility problems with games from that era. Is getting it to run on W7 going to be a headache or will I be able to run in compatibility mode and enjoy my turn of the century FPS?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My friend has a legit hard copy of 2(the lucky bastard), I don't think it ever gave him problems on XP or Vista.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I remember back in the day how much *gushing* the PC Gamer staff over Star Trek Elite Force. I never understood why after playing a demo. Was there merit to the infatuation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bouchacha posted:

I remember back in the day how much *gushing* the PC Gamer staff over Star Trek Elite Force. I never understood why after playing a demo. Was there merit to the infatuation?

I thought both games were rad as hell when they came out.