Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Remember when Boca beat the Galactico RM team? Or were you not aware that football existed back then? Seems like it. Or when Corinthians spanked Chelsea?

To say that the Copa Libertadores is not competitive is pretty up there with the dumbest things I've read, perhaps ever, and I do read the Liverpool and Arsenal shitfests posted weekly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Ninpo posted:

Yeah but Serie A can vary.

Care to explain?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Guys, we're getting off-topic here. I'll re-rail us with an important and thought-provoking question:

Could Jozy cut it in the Championship?

I await your responses

Edit: no, he could not

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Jozy should play for Leeds

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Jozy would score in the SPL. Or the "Scottish Premiership"

That's how bad he is.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

South America has a lot of cool national teams (Uruguay, probably some other ones,) but the only Copa America I watched was dog poo poo and the runner-up was a team that made it to the final without winning a match outside of PSOs. Does that undermine the Copa America's non-friendliness at all? Can Jozy Altidore find a new career as an entrepreneur of a local butcher's shop?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Dunban posted:

Nice meltdown

I was a fan of it!

NinjaSteve posted:

Jozy is bad.

Totally not arguing this.

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

It depends on the teams you philistine.

So because its USA that Spain faced in a FIFA competition it instantly becomes a friendly and means nothing. Cool, good to know. Looking forward to all the friendlies USA gets to play in Brazil this summer with you all!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Nobody cares about the Confederations cup, the teams are forced to be in it as it is another FIFA money spinner. The players don't give a poo poo. I cannot remember any winners of the tournament. Its worse than an in-season friendly as it comes in the offseason.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Crunkjuice posted:

So because its USA that Spain faced in a FIFA competition it instantly becomes a friendly and means nothing. Cool, good to know. Looking forward to all the friendlies USA gets to play in Brazil this summer with you all!

I think his point is that Spain treat the Confederations Cup as a friendly competition, not that it actually is. It's like the League Cup or the Club World Cup, its a FIFA competition but it doesn't make it a competitive one for most teams.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gigi Galli posted:

Care to explain?

Did you watch your lot in Europe this week?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

No person in the world has ever said the sentence "man, I'm looking forward to the Confederations Cup this summer"

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Man, I'm looking forward to the Confederations Cup this summer. Jozy is gonna tear poo poo up.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Crunkjuice posted:

literally nobody other than the USA have ever taken the Confed Cup more seriously than, say, the European Super Cup or various national Charity Shield equivalents. American fans only retroactively decided it mattered the moment they went a goal up against Spain. Nobody has cared since, either

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

So the teams that are fielded in the tournament don't care? You legitimately are telling me that the semifinal between Spain and Italy this year was a friendly with this roster? http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/matches/round=255207/match=300222468/report.html Or that the final between Spain and Brazil those guys just faked it so no one got injured?

Jozy scored a goal against spain in a competitive match with a competitive roster. I'm not arguing talent for him or anyone else Jozy isn't good, but this simple fact. He has also scored pretty well recently for our national team but because they are small island nations it obviously doesn't count

Why is it so hard to believe a bad player on a decent team can score? Fernando Torres has a few golden boots to his name but he's still poo poo.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Ninpo posted:

Did you watch your lot in Europe this week?

One week on Europe is hardly enough to judge a while league by.

7 league matches is probably enough to judge a player by though.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Hi, I would like to purchase a Sunderland kit with the last name of American superstar footballer Josmer Volmy "Jozy" Altidore on the back, but it appears as if my favorite online retailer of football-related goods does not have this in stock, let alone any Sunderland kit whatsoever. Is this not unfavorable considering his status as one of the league's elite strikers?

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Crunkjuice posted:

So the teams that are fielded in the tournament don't care? You legitimately are telling me that the semifinal between Spain and Italy this year was a friendly with this roster? http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/matches/round=255207/match=300222468/report.html Or that the final between Spain and Brazil those guys just faked it so no one got injured?

Jozy scored a goal against spain in a competitive match with a competitive roster. I'm not arguing talent for him or anyone else Jozy isn't good, but this simple fact. He has also scored pretty well recently for our national team but because they are small island nations it obviously doesn't count

Why is it so hard to believe a bad player on a decent team can score? Fernando Torres has a few golden boots to his name but he's still poo poo.

you can pick a strong 'roster' for friendlies and most countries do, so their players from different teams are used to playing & training alongside each other when the big boy matches come around. this is the main reason international friendlies have existed in the entire professional era.

Man Utd send most of their first team out to the far east or the US every summer for lucrative exhibition games. by your criteria they're more important than the League Cup etc.

Torres was a genuinely fantastic player when he won most of his individual awards. He's obviously been a shadow of that for a while now (still 10x the player Jozy is, mind) but I don't see what "excellent player stops being excellent" - something that happens all the time for all sorts of reasons - has to do with your bizarre boosting of the FIFA Contractual Obligation Cup

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

cadfael posted:

He's going to come good Pissflaps, mark my posts. He has too.

I don't see why.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Crunkjuice posted:

You need to stop taking the confederations cup seriously it's just supposed to be a bit of fun.

That you're comparing jozy to Torres says it all. Clueless.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Babby Thatcher posted:

you can pick a strong 'roster' for friendlies and most countries do, so their players from different teams are used to playing & training alongside each other when the big boy matches come around. this is the main reason international friendlies have existed in the entire professional era.

Man Utd send most of their first team out to the far east or the US every summer for lucrative exhibition games. by your criteria they're more important than the League Cup etc.

Torres was a genuinely fantastic player when he won most of his individual awards. He's obviously been a shadow of that for a while now (still 10x the player Jozy is, mind) but I don't see what "excellent player stops being excellent" - something that happens all the time for all sorts of reasons - has to do with your bizarre boosting of the FIFA Contractual Obligation Cup

Lol, i believe this is where i'm supposed to say "nice meltdown"

Pissflaps posted:

That you're comparing jozy to Torres says it all. Clueless.

I have it on good authority you've called them both poo poo. Why can't i call them poo poo together? Does poo poo mean something i'm not aware of? im a chelsea fan and i'm hilariously aware of el nino's talents the past few years.

Trolling this thread is way too easy.

Crunkjuice fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 7, 2013

Dickail Bulgeakov
Jan 15, 2012

gently caress... trolled again by crunkjuice, this guy doesn't let up

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Crunkjuice posted:

USMNT are not a decent team

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Big Jozy Knew posted:

USMNT are not a decent team

BUT FIFA SAYS WE ARE HOW ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO JUDGE MY SOCCER TEAM? We don't play in competitive matches?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Dickail Bulgeakov posted:

gently caress... trolled again by crunkjuice, this guy doesn't let up

He's puppetmastered us all, all along!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Crunkjuice posted:

BUT FIFA SAYS WE ARE HOW ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO JUDGE MY SOCCER TEAM

Probably not by the notoriously unreliable FIFA rankings imo

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Crunkjuice posted:

I have it on good authority you've called them both poo poo. Why can't i call them poo poo together? Does poo poo mean something i'm not aware of? im a chelsea fan and i'm hilariously aware of el nino's talents the past few years.

Torres is poo poo. He hasn't always been poo poo. He became poo poo in mid 2010 and has never fully recovered.

Jozy is, and always has been, poo poo.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Crunkjuice posted:

BUT FIFA SAYS WE ARE HOW ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO JUDGE MY SOCCER TEAM? We don't play in competitive matches?

USMNT should follow Australia's example and join a more competitive confederation. Of course they would never qualify for the World Cup again but that would be no great loss

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Crunkjuice posted:

The USMNT plays in the World Cup and the CONCACAF Gold Cup. These tournaments, and qualifying rounds, are competitive matches.

The Confederations cup, along with such events as the Club World Cup, are just showpiece events that have no meaning or value. Like 'La Tournoi' - a pre France 98 world cup tournament that England won, that you'll rarely see mentioned in this forum. Because it didn't mean anything.

Dickail Bulgeakov
Jan 15, 2012

Crunkjuice posted:

We don't play in competitive matches?

yes? I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about this. World cups aside you play friendlies, qualifiers against canada, honduras and panama and then the footballing equivalent of the league cup that is CONCAF. Some of these are technically competitive matches, but noone except the USA actually take them seriously.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Big Jozy Knew posted:

USMNT should follow Australia's example and join a more competitive confederation. Of course they would never qualify for the World Cup again but that would be no great loss

Australia is a good example here because we went and joined a more competitive confederation and still manage to qualify for the World Cup. Because we have strikers better than Jozy, such as Scott McDonald, Eli Babalj and a 400 year old Harry Kewell.

Dickail Bulgeakov
Jan 15, 2012

NinjaSteve posted:

Australia is a good example here because we went and joined a more competitive confederation and still manage to qualify for the World Cup. Because we have strikers better than Jozy, such as Scott McDonald, Eli Babalj and a 400 year old Harry Kewell.

I think Shane Warne would do a better job than Jozy tbh

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

If he gets to December the 4th without scoring (which he probably will) then he'll go longer than Kezman in terms of being complete poo poo garbage.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

The USMNT plays in the World Cup and the CONCACAF Gold Cup. These tournaments, and qualifying rounds, are competitive matches.

The Confederations cup, along with such events as the Club World Cup, are just showpiece events that have no meaning or value. Like 'La Tournoi' - a pre France 98 world cup tournament that England won, that you'll rarely see mentioned in this forum. Because it didn't mean anything.

So we play in competitive matches, but everything is poo poo except for every 4 years when we get the privilage of beating england in a group stage of the world cup. Good to know. Thanks pissflops

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Weaponized Cum posted:

Jozy should play for Leeds

McCormack pinging in balls at Jozy's big fat head? I'll have some of that

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
Wait Gold Cup games are competitive matches now? Woohoo we've made it. CONCACAF is the best.

I knew beating up on Guatemala would make us be seen as competitive some day.

80085 fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 7, 2013

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Crunkjuice posted:

So we play in competitive matches, but everything is poo poo except for every 4 years when we get the privilage of beating england in a group stage of the world cup. Good to know. Thanks pissflops

This doesn't make any sense I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. Your spelling is terrible and you don't understand football scores.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

This doesn't make any sense I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. Your spelling is terrible and you don't understand football scores.

They beat you in the group overall, not in the particular match played between the teams. Hope this helps.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Azerban posted:

They beat you in the group overall, not in the particular match played between the teams. Hope this helps.

Who gives a tuppence?

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Dickail Bulgeakov
Jan 15, 2012

Jozy 'Scourge of Spain' 'Group Winner' Altidore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiller
Apr 28, 2010

Azerban posted:

But Jozy didn't score...??

• Locked thread