Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Who are these people that are causing mass hysteria? Most people in this thread have been fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
The mechanic fee says it's 50 dollars a day...is that per real-life day or ingame day? Cuz in game day is going to add up really quickly, like 150 bucks an hour almost.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I expected server congestion, servers going down, server-lag.

Ain't seen jack of that.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

kri kri posted:

Who are these people that are causing mass hysteria? Most people in this thread have been fine.

The vast majority of goons I talk to online while in Free Roam have all lost at least one character.

Nigulus Rex posted:

The mechanic fee says it's 50 dollars a day...is that per real-life day or ingame day? Cuz in game day is going to add up really quickly, like 150 bucks an hour almost.

Sorry but really? $150 an hour? You make ten times that much robbing one convenience store.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Widespread enough that I'm only loving with pubbies and banking cash from jobs on my (now disposable) character, until I find out whether or not I'll be able to get the other one back.. :(

Robawesome posted:

The vast majority of goons I talk to online while in Free Roam have all lost at least one character.

Sorry but really? $150 an hour? You make ten times that much robbing one convenience store.
I'd say that once you are level 5 or 10 and can start seeing choppers spawning, your first priority when not doing jobs ought to be to take that chopper around the map and rob every store and escape from the cops. You get a little under 500 RP and only $1400 for getting away from the cops at 3-4 stars, but it's nearly impossible to not escape from them in a chopper. The wanted level gets higher every time you rob a store and get away and rob another without dying as well, I wasn't able to stay alive long enough but I was wondering if you could possibly reach 5 stars just by robbing enough places in a row..

This also puts your flying up pretty rapidly, although nowhere near as fast as playing Hunter in Top Fun 4 times.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 7, 2013

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

kri kri posted:

Are you kidding? This thread is full of people posting that doing X or Y will delete your character, that everyone's character is gone for good, that you shouldn't bother buying apartments or cars, and so on. Not to mention all the "gently caress Rockstar" style posts. And this thread is literally the tamest place I've seen discussion on this anywhere. It's a million times worse everywhere else.

Nigulus Rex posted:

In-game day. However, only time you spend in free roam counts as far as I can tell, so you aren't charged for time you aren't playing or time you're on a mission or in a deathmatch/race. That plus house fees cost me $175. Theoretically I'm being charged every 24 minutes of free roam but in reality I've only payed the fee like five times ever because I think it also has to be 24 consecutive minutes or something, or else the tooltip doesn't appear every time. In any case, repairing a very tiny paint scratch costs more than the $175 so that mechanic is basically worth his weight in plutonium.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Funkmaster General posted:

Are you kidding? This thread is full of people posting that doing X or Y will delete your character, that everyone's character is gone for good, that you shouldn't bother buying apartments or cars, and so on. Not to mention all the "gently caress Rockstar" style posts. And this thread is literally the tamest place I've seen discussion on this anywhere. It's a million times worse everywhere else.

In-game day. However, only time you spend in free roam counts as far as I can tell, so you aren't charged for time you aren't playing or time you're on a mission or in a deathmatch/race. That plus house fees cost me $175. Theoretically I'm being charged every 24 minutes of free roam but in reality I've only payed the fee like five times ever because I think it also has to be 24 consecutive minutes or something, or else the tooltip doesn't appear every time. In any case, repairing a very tiny paint scratch costs more than the $175 so that mechanic is basically worth his weight in plutonium.

An in-game day is 48 real life minutes, not 24.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Oops wrong thread

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

coyo7e posted:

Widespread enough that I'm only loving with pubbies and banking cash from jobs on my (now disposable) character, until I find out whether or not I'll be able to get the other one back.. :(

I'd say that once you are level 5 or 10 and can start seeing choppers spawning, your first priority when not doing jobs ought to be to take that chopper around the map and rob every store and escape from the cops. You get a little under 500 RP and only $1400 for getting away from the cops at 3-4 stars, but it's nearly impossible to not escape from them in a chopper. The wanted level gets higher every time you rob a store and get away and rob another without dying as well, I wasn't able to stay alive long enough but I was wondering if you could possibly reach 5 stars just by robbing enough places in a row..

The very first thing I did when I got online when it was first released was to drive around and then fly around to rob every single store to get the cheevo :c00l:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Robawesome posted:

Or twenty times that by winning a 2-minute (or even shorter) race with just 2-3 other people. Seriously, you can do races from the very start and most of the time you'll get enough cash from a single one to buy you everything you need for a while: armor, ammo, mechanic fees, passive mode, consumables.

The big money drains are guns, properties and planes/helis/luxury cars.

By the way, if you buy a helicopter, does it somehow fit in your garage, or do they give you a complimentary helipad with the purchase?

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Except going into a mission/race/whatever and coming back out will usually repair your car gratis.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

An in-game day is 48 real life minutes, not 24.

Are you sure? I watched the clock to figure this out and was pretty sure it was ticking off at a minute/second. Not around to check ATM, but I could be wrong, I guess.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Except going into a mission/race/whatever and coming back out will usually repair your car gratis.

So does driving into your garage. The conceit is that your mechanic is doing that, hence my comment that he's much, much cheaper than the mod shops.

Nevermind that it happens when leaving missions regardless of garage ownership. Chalk that one up to videogames, and to it not being fun to have to grind out cash for a home without consistent access to your vehicle in serviceable condition.

Vicious Fishes
Mar 20, 2008

No one drinks MY juice

TorakFade posted:

By the way, if you buy a helicopter, does it somehow fit in your garage, or do they give you a complimentary helipad with the purchase?

I just bought the Attack Buzzard. I call up Pegasus, pay $1000, and they deliver it immediately to the closest helipad.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I loving love the players who take shamals or luxors on air races just looking at the speed stat and not considering manoeuvrability, then watching them pull into a slight early lead until they have to make a turn and they all go down in one huge fireball

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

I loving love the players who take shamals or luxors on air races just looking at the speed stat and not considering manoeuvrability, then watching them pull into a slight early lead until they have to make a turn and they all go down in one huge fireball

I do this just because it's hilarious. There's no way you're going to win an air race in anything but a stunt plane, but taking a private jet or a giant commercial airliner is way more fun, especially if you can convince everyone in the game to do it.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?
If anyone needs someone for $$$ farming, invite me. GT Matazar. I'll be on all afternoon.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
So can you steal a tank from the military base?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Carecat posted:

So can you steal a tank from the military base?

Theoretically, yes, you can jack tanks. Practically, not really. Even if you manage to get into one, good luck getting out with it. I don't think the gates open from the inside, either, so you'd have to cargobob it out, and that's difficult enough without other tanks shooting at you and jets scrambling to take you out and AA missile batteries.

Alternatively you can buy one for a few mil and have it delivered to you whenever. I don't even think there's a level cap on doing that, so when cash cards are back you could throw some money at RS to become the ultimate pubbie griefing machine. Of course you'd end up in the shitlist servers pretty quickly from destroying personal vehicles.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think I should make my personal vehicle a scooter and slam into people so they blow me up and get put on the poo poo list.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

My expensive car costs 8 grand to recover if it's blown up. If you destroy someone else's vehicle you have to pay the insurance costs, on top of getting bad boy points (and thus losing out on a source of recurring, if negligible, income). It's a pubbie-baiting perfect storm.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What area am I most likely to find the Felon? Limpitadore or whatever?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Lester being able to wipe your wanted level for $500 is the best part of GTA:O forevermore

just call him up while you're in your car running for a tunnel/the hills and keep the phone up with the menu option selected. The instant the cops lose line of sight, bam $500 back to zero stars. The cooldown is only like 5 (realtime) minutes, too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

My expensive car costs 8 grand to recover if it's blown up. If you destroy someone else's vehicle you have to pay the insurance costs, on top of getting bad boy points (and thus losing out on a source of recurring, if negligible, income). It's a pubbie-baiting perfect storm.
If you played Violent Duct a half-dozen times before your griefing session though, you might never even notice due to the JP stacked up, though.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

coyo7e posted:

If you played Violent Duct a half-dozen times before your griefing session though, you might never even notice due to the JP stacked up, though.

I don't understand what you're saying here. Have you discovered some sort of legitimate use for JP beyond temporary e-penis?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

I don't understand what you're saying here. Have you discovered some sort of legitimate use for JP beyond temporary e-penis?
Someone was saying earlier that JP balanced out Bad Sport points.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Psion posted:

Lester being able to wipe your wanted level for $500 is the best part of GTA:O forevermore

just call him up while you're in your car running for a tunnel/the hills and keep the phone up with the menu option selected. The instant the cops lose line of sight, bam $500 back to zero stars. The cooldown is only like 5 (realtime) minutes, too.

You can do that even with the cops right on you, at least that has been my experience.

Begath
Apr 27, 2012

Fish are stupid cause they can't climb trees.

Theoretically, yes, you can jack tanks. Practically, not really. Even if you manage to get into one, good luck getting out with it. I don't think the gates open from the inside, either, so you'd have to cargobob it out, and that's difficult enough without other tanks shooting at you and jets scrambling to take you out and AA missile batteries.

Alternatively you can buy one for a few mil and have it delivered to you whenever. I don't even think there's a level cap on doing that, so when cash cards are back you could throw some money at RS to become the ultimate pubbie griefing machine. Of course you'd end up in the shitlist servers pretty quickly from destroying personal vehicles.

To buy, you need level 70, and it costs 1.5 million. I think you can spend $20 to get 1.25 million once cash cards are out. But drat, that level will take a while. Get cracking goons!

Also does anybody know how buying tanks, planes, and copters work? I haven't seen any options to buy a hanger yet..

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Someone was saying earlier that JP balanced out Bad Sport points.

JP resets every time you change sessions, so I sort of doubt it. Also earning JP doesn't have a lot to do with not being a griefer, which is what the Bad Sport stuff is supposed to discourage. I have no idea what good JP is, though, so I have no idea and maybe this is totally what it is.

Begath posted:

Also does anybody know how buying tanks, planes, and copters work? I haven't seen any options to buy a hanger yet..

They show up at the nearest spawn location to where you are, and you can call to have them delivered to there again for a fee if you lose them. I don't know about tanks, but I assume they spawn in one of the airport hangars. Planes appear at the airport or one of the northern air fields, depending on where you are, and helicopters at the closest ground-accessible helipad.

Kringy
Dec 31, 2008
I just met three goons in a server and the first thing in my mind was "I GOTTA GET MY MEN AIRBORNE". Picked them all up with the cargobob, landed in Zacudo and scurried like little rats, beelining for the jets and I'm thinking "good god, if all of us make it out of here alive with a jet each, it's going to be the most :black101: PUBBY TEAR RIVER DON'T RUN DRY~~

But only half made it out! Ceklik (?) and me but I crashed shortly after because I felt like I failed the other two :( man, someday... :colbert: Played too long and have to take a break.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

Wow you're not kidding. :stare:

XenophobicAirport
Dec 15, 2007

Please have your weapons prepared at the terminal.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

It's kinda strange how GTA V is like one of the most vulgar games ever, with F bombs and N words flying around constantly, nudity, extreme violence yet you couldn't put "FART" onto your personal license plate.

I found it funny when the game told me that my character name choice of "ANIMEHITLER" wasn't appropriate.:godwin:

How on Earth are people managing to survive getting a jet out of the army base? I keep dying. :psyduck:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Holy gently caress I need to do an air race NOW.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
In case you guys didn't know, pressing your weapon (LB on XBox) button while driving a fire truck shoots a jet of water out of the hose. It will kill players if you hit you them with it and ragdoll their bodies all over the place.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Looking for a PS3 goon to grind single-lap race wins with (28) on arms race. Nice experience and cash if you don't need race wins yourself. Username is PSN name, in 1009 etc. Ready any time I'm on, or to return the favour and help somebody else out. We both gain.

e: Unable to connect to session zzz

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 7, 2013

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

JP are used to determine who wins at the end of a playlist.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hahaha that scream.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I've been stuck in the 'Launching session' screen twice in a row now while waiting for a mission to begin. Is this a common thing happening? I can't back out of the screen so I have to power off. Ambient sound continues to play and the loading icon just goes and goes...

PSN Member Jaktai - if you see this, it happened when we tried to do the Ballas to the Wall mission (I am faktory4)

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

MrLonghair posted:

Looking for a PS3 goon to grind single-lap race wins with (28) on arms race. Nice experience and cash if you don't need race wins yourself. Username is PSN name, in 1009 etc. Ready any time I'm on, or to return the favour and help somebody else out. We both gain.

I did a bunch of this last night. While Arms Race is the shortest race, there are a lot of tracks that take barely a minute more to finish and are double or more on the payout.

It's all the menu navigation that makes the grinding take as long as it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryedegg
Jan 13, 2004
Everquest killed my libido (and my cat). 8(
If I try to use the pause menu and quick join a job, it only lets me select Mission. Races, etc. are all grayed out. I think I saw the race option selectable once in the past few days.

Is this normal and I'm doing something wrong?

• Locked thread