Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
The use of the baptismal font to serve as the focus of the fiery hell portal was pretty awesome & I like what they did with the hessians in this particular canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is such a fun romp of a show and I love how fast it moves. I liked how easily Jenny fit into the dynamic between Ichabod and Abbie so I'm hoping that she'll be out of the asylum soon to join the team full time.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Rarity posted:

This is such a fun romp of a show and I love how fast it moves. I liked how easily Jenny fit into the dynamic between Ichabod and Abbie so I'm hoping that she'll be out of the asylum soon to join the team full time.

It was a pleasant suprise how quickly they resolved the tenstion between Jenny and Abbie and fixed her status as an escaped mental patient. Most other shows would have let the conflict drag on for much longer but here is was done in a minute and went on to more important things like trowing Hessians into a portal to hell.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Part of it is the 13 episode season. I'm glad that they are just going for it, because they don't have to spread the plot over a full year.

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.
Man, I love this show. I have a friend who I initially bonded with over cheesy TV and movies a decade ago, but who now compares everything on a scale from Keeping up with the Kardashians to Breaking Bad, and so can't enjoy this show for whatever reason. So, thank you goons for being there for a brotha.

Abbie might be one of my favorite TV heroes in years. Ichabod is hot as hell and so fun to watch. And I'm really excited by the added wrinkle of Jenny joining the team. Four episodes in and this show is still super entertaining and actually emotionally effective. The scene with Abbie and Jenny at the end of this episode was really effecting. I don't think I've seen a show hit campy supernatural and emotional scenes this well since Buffy, which ended what, a decade ago? Love it.

So is Orlando Jones totally a part of the Hesion conspiracy? I feel like it was implied in the pilot that he was in on the crazy, but since then he's been much more neutral as the lead cop. Thoughts?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

These Hessiens are totally the Thule Society, aren't they?

And "leff-tenant" was back again this episode!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I had to pause my DVR during that opening scene I was laughing so hard.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

No Pun Intended posted:

The use of the baptismal font to serve as the focus of the fiery hell portal was pretty awesome & I like what they did with the hessians in this particular canon.

Are Hessians part of established Legend of Sleepy Hollow canon? I know the Tim Burton movie's headless horseman was also a Hessian.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Basebf555 posted:

Are Hessians part of established Legend of Sleepy Hollow canon? I know the Tim Burton movie's headless horseman was also a Hessian.

Yes, the Headless Horseman in the original Washington Irving story was a Hessian.

I'd recommend reading the original story, it's a short read and easy to find online. Sure it's got no hellmouth and evil cults and Ichabod is mostly a tool, but it's amazing to compare it to this crazy crazy show.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 8, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Read his 'Rip Van Winkle' too. Early American authors wote some amazing stuff. Hawthorne, Cooper, Irving...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hef Deezy posted:

So is Orlando Jones totally a part of the Hesion conspiracy? I feel like it was implied in the pilot that he was in on the crazy, but since then he's been much more neutral as the lead cop. Thoughts?

No, he seemed legitimately pissed off at that torture chamber in the piano teacher's basement. If he does tie into the secret societies from the Revolutionary period, there's the French part of the secret supernatural war he could represent.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Random Stranger posted:

And "leff-tenant" was back again this episode!

I hate whoever brought it up in here because I hear the F every single time he says it now when before I hadn't noticed. Also it's not really that important, but you'd think that Crane would get some new clothes by now and not just keep walking around in the things he was buried alive in.

Also I keep remembering that John Noble is going to show up at some point and it's making me so god drat happy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

VDay posted:

I hate whoever brought it up in here because I hear the F every single time he says it now when before I hadn't noticed. Also it's not really that important, but you'd think that Crane would get some new clothes by now and not just keep walking around in the things he was buried alive in.

Also I keep remembering that John Noble is going to show up at some point and it's making me so god drat happy.

Its pretty awesome that John Noble is going to be in this because its kind of like a supernatural themed version of Fringe already. Adding Walter will just complete the illusion!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hef Deezy posted:

Abbie might be one of my favorite TV heroes in years. Ichabod is hot as hell and so fun to watch. And I'm really excited by the added wrinkle of Jenny joining the team. Four episodes in and this show is still super entertaining and actually emotionally effective.

IMHO, I agree, this show has the right mix of crazy, human drama, and lurking doom, but with good, believable characters.

After being forced to watch countless episodes of Dr. Who, it's nice to see a British guy who is clued in on some issues but totally clueless with others, but in a flawed human way and not some antisocial know-it-all who's too full of himself to admit when he's out of his league. Also nice to see an Englishman who isn't turning up his nose and saying 'Ewe Ammericans, pish-tosh' all the time.

quote:

That's "Hessian."

I didn't get that feeling, but in the first two episodes he may have been feeling a little frustrated by the pure insanity of headless corpses and weird goings on so as to take a justifiably super paranoid attitude. If he was in on it he'd have been wringing his hands and chuckling something like 'the plan PROCEEDS!!!@!' to himself. We didn't get anything like that. That isn't to say they might 'get' to him and threaten his family so he plays along at some point, though.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I swear one of the British soldiers actually ran up shouting "Redcoats! Protect the tea!"

... I feel like I should be offended, but I actually enjoy seeing my nation stereotyped like this.
Though I do now regard Ichabod as being an extra-vile double-traitor for leading to the most heinous event in the entire war of independence.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Zero One posted:

God wasn't very fond of this Moloch guy...

muscles like this? posted:

Uh, excuse me Ichabod, that's William Blake's The Great Red Dragon and the Woman Clothed in Sun, not Moloch. Although it is a beast of Revelation.

I like the NIV version of these better just because it's in modern english:

Leviticus 20:2-5 posted:

“Say to the Israelites: ‘Any Israelite or any foreigner residing in Israel who sacrifices any of his children to Molek is to be put to death. The members of the community are to stone him. I myself will set my face against him and will cut him off from his people; for by sacrificing his children to Molek, he has defiled my sanctuary and profaned my holy name. If the members of the community close their eyes when that man sacrifices one of his children to Molek and if they fail to put him to death, I myself will set my face against him and his family and will cut them off from their people together with all who follow him in prostituting themselves to Molek.

Revelation 12:2-4 posted:

Then another sign appeared in heaven: an enormous red dragon with seven heads and ten horns and seven crowns on its heads. 4 Its tail swept a third of the stars out of the sky and flung them to the earth.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
What I'm getting from this is that the British made a deal with the devil and the Germans are the foot soldiers of the devil, and I need to ask my German buddy about the details of being a cultist.

Seriously, though, I'm tickled pink to find a group of evil Germans who are not, in any shape or form, related to the Nazis, and I hope it stays that way. In fact, I hope it turns out that the Hessians are a cult that will take anyone willing to abide by their murderous, devil-worshipping beliefs. I want a multiethnic band of child-sacrificers, doggone it.

They still all have to speak with German accents.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I've only watched the open so far but I have to say that is literally the best product placement I have ever seen (the Onstar scene).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tupping Liberty posted:

I've only watched the open so far but I have to say that is literally the best product placement I have ever seen (the Onstar scene).

It actually isn't product placement because they call it "NorthStar"

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

I had to pause my DVR during that opening scene I was laughing so hard.

Me too only Hulu in my case. That was the funniest loving thing. This show continues to fire on all amazing cylinders. One thing I wondered watching this though, does cyanide really work instantaneously like that?

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I think so. I remember reading an article about a guy who did the same thing in court after he got the guilty verdict.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

muscles like this? posted:

It actually isn't product placement because they call it "NorthStar"

I guess my brain made it product placement. Help, Onstar has me!

What a loving episode. I never keep episodes on my DVR (except episodes of Adventure Time) but I'm keeping this episode.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Me too only Hulu in my case. That was the funniest loving thing. This show continues to fire on all amazing cylinders. One thing I wondered watching this though, does cyanide really work instantaneously like that?

Yes, within 3 minutes for death and paralysis will come much faster.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
So I guess Captain Irving is mostly going to serve as a window to the reactions of the rest of the police force to all this occult stuff along with the normal Skinner style role.

I love how this show is extremely well educated in the things they are referencing but still gives no crap in representing any of this truthfully.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

mr.capps posted:

I love how this show is extremely well educated in the things they are referencing but still gives no crap in representing any of this truthfully.

I love this as well.

"Yeah, we know all about that, but that's not much fun. Here's how it really all went down."

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I loved Abby bringing her inner Josiah Bartlet "I will rain down legal brimstone on you so hard it will make God jealous."

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

God drat, just got caught up on this show and I'm so glad I did.

It hits all of the right notes.
Crazy, well written, smart, funny, and immensely intriguing.

The guy playing Ichabod makes me question my sexuality.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Viola the Mad posted:

What I'm getting from this is that the British made a deal with the devil and the Germans are the foot soldiers of the devil, and I need to ask my German buddy about the details of being a cultist.

Seriously, though, I'm tickled pink to find a group of evil Germans who are not, in any shape or form, related to the Nazis, and I hope it stays that way. In fact, I hope it turns out that the Hessians are a cult that will take anyone willing to abide by their murderous, devil-worshipping beliefs. I want a multiethnic band of child-sacrificers, doggone it.

They still all have to speak with German accents.

I'm going to wait patiently for the elderly Asian acupuncturist stereotypes who can also speak with perfect German accents.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Coconut Indian posted:

I think so. I remember reading an article about a guy who did the same thing in court after he got the guilty verdict.

Steve Parsons and Michael Marin. There is even a video (watch at your own risk, he takes it somewhere between 5 and 7 minutes and has the attack around 7 minutes) of Marin taking it. It's unclear on the video exactly when he takes it but he breaks down into respiratory failure in the courtroom within minutes and is dead before he reaches the hospital. There are various forms that act at various speeds in various does. And there are individual sensitivities. There are some cases on record where a pill caused unconsciousness almost instantly (possibly because part of it was inhaled) and other cases where a pill failed to kill someone (a famous case involving some spies during WWII).

Bottom line, yes it's ridiculously toxic and fast acting.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

johntfs posted:

I loved Abby bringing her inner Josiah Bartlet "I will rain down legal brimstone on you so hard it will make God jealous."

This was absolutely my favorite line of the episode.

:ohdear: Only I kept drifting to sleep while the Hessians were summoning demons and I have no idea how it ended. We were watching it really late and I was comfy! I will be rewatching. :(

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Was the "painting of Moloch" in Washington's Bible? Because somehow it would bug me a lot more that not only is that a real painting of something else from the book of revelations, it hadn't even been painted yet when Ichabod was entombed with the bible...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snak posted:

Was the "painting of Moloch" in Washington's Bible? Because somehow it would bug me a lot more that not only is that a real painting of something else from the book of revelations, it hadn't even been painted yet when Ichabod was entombed with the bible...

It was in the copy of paradise lost that he showed Abby.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

It was in the copy of paradise lost that he showed Abby.

See that's totally believable.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

mr.capps posted:

So I guess Captain Irving is mostly going to serve as a window to the reactions of the rest of the police force to all this occult stuff along with the normal Skinner style role.

Calling it now: he's Moloch.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Lawlicaust posted:

Steve Parsons and Michael Marin. There is even a video (watch at your own risk, he takes it somewhere between 5 and 7 minutes and has the attack around 7 minutes) of Marin taking it. It's unclear on the video exactly when he takes it but he breaks down into respiratory failure in the courtroom within minutes and is dead before he reaches the hospital. There are various forms that act at various speeds in various does. And there are individual sensitivities. There are some cases on record where a pill caused unconsciousness almost instantly (possibly because part of it was inhaled) and other cases where a pill failed to kill someone (a famous case involving some spies during WWII).

Bottom line, yes it's ridiculously toxic and fast acting.

Gavrilo Princip and his co-conspirator Čabrinović are also famous for failing to suicide with cyanide. Their cyanide was probably expired or from a botched batch. Čabrinović got sick but didn't die, and Princip also vomited shortly after taking the pill.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Binary Badger posted:

After being forced to watch countless episodes of Dr. Who, it's nice to see a British guy who is clued in on some issues but totally clueless with others, but in a flawed human way and not some antisocial know-it-all who's too full of himself to admit when he's out of his league. Also nice to see an Englishman who isn't turning up his nose and saying 'Ewe Ammericans, pish-tosh' all the time.

Ichabod is an American. :smug:

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.
Okay, so I keep waiting for someone on the show to drop this little observation and it's killing me.

Ichabod assumes (or maybe just infers), and tell Abby based on his assumption, that He and Abby are the two witnesses. But when you get right down to it, Abby and her sister are literally The Two Witnesses. They, together, saw Moloch rise. Now, coming together again, they are positioned to fight against this 7 years of tribulation (oh gods, how long were they estranged? Someone tell me it wasn't 7 years...).

So, my theory is that Abby and her sister are our two witnesses, with Ichabod as a vital piece to make sure they come together and are able to do what needs to be done in the end and working up to the end.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

That's what most people in the thread have been saying. Not sure why neither of them in the show have addressed it when it seems pretty obvious.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
They even had her sister say "So you and Crane are the two witnesses?" I thought that was a little too much of a misdirection.

I'm sure there will be a realization at some point on who the two witnesses are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Ichabod assumes he is one of the witnesses because he was the first one to see Moloch, I think. In the sheriff's occult documents that Abby finds, it mentions a dude in the 1700s seeing a demon in the same spot Abby and Jenny see the demon later, and Ichabod confirms it was him in another episode. Of course that would still leave the problem of why he would assume Abby is the other witness and not Jenny, even though they saw Moloch simultaneously.

• Locked thread