Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

khy posted:

A friend of mine loves games like zelda - good art style, platformer, etc.

She also enjoys watching me stream games to her via my PC - she claims she has no time but I think she gets frustrated at losing and likes to make fun of me when I miss a jump or get killed, etc.

I'm wondering if there are any good platformer games similar to Zelda (Or at least with a nice colorful art style) for the PC.

Ittle Dew and Anodyne are pretty decent Zelda Likes. Beyond Good and Evil is a pretty awesome game that turned up all the way looks pretty good.

Psychonauts is kind of driving away from Zelda, and more towards 3d platformer/action game, but it's got some pretty art and decent platforming.

You mentioned colorful art style, so I'm going to mention Rogue Legacy. She can even cooperate a little by telling you what traits to pick.

And for really great art style and platformer Rayman Origins/Legends. They're gorgeous, have great music, and are coop. but I'm not sure if that's local only or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Internet Friend posted:

If you don't mind the interface, Unreal World is a great game about surviving in the wilderness of Finland. Try not to freeze to death!

I love URW and recommend it as a survival game, but be warned that once you can comfortably survive winter then there's not really much to do as the difficulty never really feels like it ramps up from there. A lot of it is very tedious busywork - cutting down about 85 trees to build a small cabin, carving the trees into logs, building each tile of the house, etc etc etc. But you have to interspace it with fishing, hunting, crafting, etc. It really does need an endgame of some sort though.

Leper Residue posted:

Ittle Dew and Anodyne are pretty decent Zelda Likes. Beyond Good and Evil is a pretty awesome game that turned up all the way looks pretty good.

Psychonauts is kind of driving away from Zelda, and more towards 3d platformer/action game, but it's got some pretty art and decent platforming.

You mentioned colorful art style, so I'm going to mention Rogue Legacy. She can even cooperate a little by telling you what traits to pick.

And for really great art style and platformer Rayman Origins/Legends. They're gorgeous, have great music, and are coop. but I'm not sure if that's local only or what?

BG&E and Psychonauts are closer to what I'm looking for (But have streamed both of those already), she's more into the later Zeldas than the earlier ones. She's a HUGE fan of Ocarina, Twilight Princess, and Skyward but hates cel shading so no wind waker.

khy fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 6, 2013

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Memories of playing forsaken in WoW came back after Hotel Transylvania was on cable when I woke up Saturday.

What are good games with that gothy-ish vibe and feel you got from the likes of Forsaken towns in WoW or the Scourge in War3? I should probably go find Dungeonkeeper and get DosBOX working, but I was wondering what other sorts of games in that vein were worth a look.

Anything with full featured magic, undead summons and an isometric setup would be frigging awesome.

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
Ah but you see I was an 06 lurker
Yo, I'm interested in playing a Tenchu/Shinobi game. Which are the best? I'd prefer to hear from people who have played a lot of them.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I don't know if such games exist, but I'd like a simple (browser) game that would combine traditional fantasy and manager games. You don't control characters as such, but you equip them, train them, give fighting instructions, then you set them off and they fight monsters or other players' characters, and you later see the result. So, a spreadsheet, turn-based thing.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Is there anything that has the whole sitting in a bar mechanic from Catherine? I love that game.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

I don't know if such games exist, but I'd like a simple (browser) game that would combine traditional fantasy and manager games. You don't control characters as such, but you equip them, train them, give fighting instructions, then you set them off and they fight monsters or other players' characters, and you later see the result. So, a spreadsheet, turn-based thing.

This seems exactly like what you're looking for. http://www.rinkworks.com/monster/

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

Gough Suppressant posted:

I'd love some sort of subsistence/survival based game. Sort of like the farming aspect of minecraft but way more in depth. There was an old ascii or text game we played in primary school twenty years ago where you had to survive while trying to build a raft to escape an island which is sort of the idea I'm going for. Is there anything like that around?
You might look at Miasmata, which partially scratched that itch for me. You're stranded on an island, suffering from a plague and trying to find the ingredients for a cure while being stalked by a creature. There isn't an actual "tech tree" like gathering materials to build a shelter, though; beyond researching and synthesizing plants into medicines, the main mechanic is finding your way around the island by actual orientation and triangulation of landmarks with a compass. The game does a good job in making you feel fragile and it's surprising how easy it is to get turned around and lost when you're just relying on your sense of direction instead of the compass.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Gough Suppressant posted:

I'd love some sort of subsistence/survival based game. Sort of like the farming aspect of minecraft but way more in depth. There was an old ascii or text game we played in primary school twenty years ago where you had to survive while trying to build a raft to escape an island which is sort of the idea I'm going for. Is there anything like that around?

Don't Starve and Miasmata are the go-to (graphical) games for that right now, I think. Stranded II is free but much older.

I'm always looking for new ones so I wish-listed this "Garry's Incident" game that was greenlit on Steam... but then I looked at the Metcritic scores for it :stare:. Yeeahhh, I guess I'll wait until it's like 1.25 or so...

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Inadequately posted:

This seems exactly like what you're looking for. http://www.rinkworks.com/monster/

Thanks, that indeed looks like that, but this game has a total of dozen players. Not surprising, considering the Times New Roman web site. Anything more popular?

Billy Bob FORTRAN
Nov 4, 2007

*THIS IS*
*HOW A*
*SOLDIER*
*~LIVES~*

:qqsay:
I'm looking for a game with fantastic variability. I got to thinking about this while watching a friend play Borderlands 2 and I was struck by the seemingly endless combinations of variables that could factor into a single weapons. A game in a similar vein to that would be Skyrim, which may have a fixed number of base items, but the vast number of enchantments and potions available scratches that itch a little. Then you have Morrowind which increases gameplay variability to an insane degree with all of the expansions installed.

Even something likes Jagged Alliance 1.13 fits the bill, because of the sheer number of weapons, attachments, supplies, armor, ammo, and personnel that you can take on any one mission.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Billy Bob FORTRAN posted:

I'm looking for a game with fantastic variability. I got to thinking about this while watching a friend play Borderlands 2 and I was struck by the seemingly endless combinations of variables that could factor into a single weapons. A game in a similar vein to that would be Skyrim, which may have a fixed number of base items, but the vast number of enchantments and potions available scratches that itch a little. Then you have Morrowind which increases gameplay variability to an insane degree with all of the expansions installed.

Even something likes Jagged Alliance 1.13 fits the bill, because of the sheer number of weapons, attachments, supplies, armor, ammo, and personnel that you can take on any one mission.

Tried Terraria? It's more Diablo-esque, but there are a shitton of items, enchantments, potions, spells and poo poo and there's huge variability. Just got a huge patch too.

E: How about Starfarer Starsector? Top-down space shooter, arm a whole armada of ships with weapons, extensions, crew, augments and when that gets boring, install a ton of mods and multiply your options by 100

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 6, 2013

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby

Billy Bob FORTRAN posted:

Both Skyrim and BL2 are so shallow they're disappointing because of it. The only one you mention there that hits my customization itch fully is Morrowind; and as much as I love my decked out Morrowind install it plays a bit stiff by modern standards.

I don't really have any suggestions in the first-person genre, if anyone does I am interested to hear them as well.

ARPG's get scratch this for me, Torchlight II has very complex character customization and an item drop / loot table that will actually give you interesting stuff as you go along; and even enchantments that can customize the items you find. For a more closed environment/competitive game in the genre I would say Path of Exile, but it's going to force you into a grind eventually. Neither have real depth beyond the character customization, either.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Time once again to recommend me a game! I have a different taste this time though.

Having recently played the campaign Cities of the Frontier in the free strategy game Battle of Wesnoth, I got wondering what games out there are similar. To explain, the campaign in question has you building a village out in the middle of bumblefuck nowhere and trying to expand it while simultaneously fending off bandit attacks, orc raids, elves that are pissy about you clearing trees, and even the occasional necromancer. I enjoyed the whole "Raise a village to keep your people fed and money coming in, to WE'RE UNDER ATTACK! DEFEND THE VILLAAAAAGE".

So, question is, is there some obscure strategy game, or even a roguelike that revolves around building and defending a town? Another game in this vein that I already own (And you may be more familiar with) is the Majesty series.

What do you have, goons?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Inverse square posted:

Yo, I'm interested in playing a Tenchu/Shinobi game. Which are the best? I'd prefer to hear from people who have played a lot of them.

Shinobi 3.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Drakenel posted:

Time once again to recommend me a game! I have a different taste this time though.

Having recently played the campaign Cities of the Frontier in the free strategy game Battle of Wesnoth, I got wondering what games out there are similar. To explain, the campaign in question has you building a village out in the middle of bumblefuck nowhere and trying to expand it while simultaneously fending off bandit attacks, orc raids, elves that are pissy about you clearing trees, and even the occasional necromancer. I enjoyed the whole "Raise a village to keep your people fed and money coming in, to WE'RE UNDER ATTACK! DEFEND THE VILLAAAAAGE".

So, question is, is there some obscure strategy game, or even a roguelike that revolves around building and defending a town? Another game in this vein that I already own (And you may be more familiar with) is the Majesty series.

What do you have, goons?

The Stronghold series sounds like exactly what you are looking for. I haven't played much of the latest games, and I would recommend avoiding SH:Legends, though.

Another option is Dwarf Fortress and its sisters Towns, Gnomoria, Timber and Stone.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 8, 2013

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Drakenel posted:

What do you have, goons?

If you can forgo the building your own city thing, King of Dragon pass might fit. It's all about managing your town with hunters, farmers, warriors, expeditions. Dealing with crazy poo poo like some super fanatical cult comes to town and do you want to please them so they just leave but possibly invite more in the future or anger them by kicking them out? Maybe even trick them into doing something stupid? Or you just found a village full of ducks, kill em? Eat em? Enslave em or help em? Up to you!

It's less town building, and more 'you're the leader of these people, and these are the problems that are popping up.' The ultimate goal is to bring your people, and yourself, to be lords or kings of whatever. I'm not entirely sure since I always get slaughtered by horse bandits or find myself in a war I just can't win cause I insulted them accidentally when they visited and I just sent too many of my fighters into an expedition in search of a holy place or ancient artifact.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Drakenel posted:

What do you have, goons?

Seconding Stronghold - specifically Stronghold 1 and Stronghold Crusader. I wouldn't bother with the later games, Stronghold 2 is mediocre at best and 3 is offensively bad.

Terraria fits the roguelike description pretty well. You can build a town and attract NPCs to live in it but it's a more of a secondary part of the game.

You might also like State of Decay and Brütal Legend (though that's stretching it a bit).

edit: Also check out the Anno series, although they're mostly about town/economy building without much in the way of external threats to your survival.

Ceyton fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 8, 2013

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

An Android option is Dungeon Village by Kairosoft. You place buildings and attract adventurers to your town to send them on quests, while trying to make the town popular and profitable. It's got a real Majesty vibe but it's a bit shallow (and not really terribly challenging...).

Sjonsson
Oct 7, 2013

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
Mark of the Ninja - a sneaky (rogue-like) platformer which is about ninjas killing ninjas, it's pretty sweet! I guess most of you know of it but I will posted it anyway in case someone missed out.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Drakenel posted:

What do you have, goons?

http://www.townsgame.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221020

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
I could use a recommendation. Right now I'm hankering for a game with a bit of mechanical depth and/or character customization (in terms of class/race/abilities/etc.). I burned myself out on TOME 4 and just finished a second play through of Tactics Ogre, games with similar qualities. Bonus points for non-traditional classes that go beyond the typical fantasy archetypes (generic warrior, rogue, mage, etc.). Any genre is fine.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Disgaea?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Riftling posted:

I could use a recommendation. Right now I'm hankering for a game with a bit of mechanical depth and/or character customization (in terms of class/race/abilities/etc.). I burned myself out on TOME 4 and just finished a second play through of Tactics Ogre, games with similar qualities. Bonus points for non-traditional classes that go beyond the typical fantasy archetypes (generic warrior, rogue, mage, etc.). Any genre is fine.

Funktor posted:

Disgaea?

There are about thirty or forty different classes, each bringing new stuff to the table (or at least different stuff) and every single one of them is 100% viable to take into the post-game.

Also, numbers.

this is honestly kind of lovely for the postgame

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

I've dug into Disgaea 1 & 2, also Phantom Brave/Makai Kingdom/Soul Nomad. Were the later games in the series any good? I don't know if my heart can take any more Item World grinding, though.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Riftling posted:

I've dug into Disgaea 1 & 2, also Phantom Brave/Makai Kingdom/Soul Nomad. Were the later games in the series any good? I don't know if my heart can take any more Item World grinding, though.

I haven't tried Disgaea 4 yet, but I adored D3.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Riftling posted:

FE: Awakening.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Galick posted:

I haven't tried Disgaea 4 yet, but I adored D3.

4 is even better. It streamlined a few things from 3 in a good way.

The post-game is a really stupid grind unless you abuse a glitch by not patching (and therefore no dlc until you've done a lot of prep.)

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
My buddy and I have been smoking up and going through some old favourites on the PS1 like Tomb Raider and Metal Gear Solid. We wanna play some two player stuff though.

Does anyone have any recommendations for great two person games on the PS1? Either co-op or versus, we don't mind, although co-op is preferred. Any genre is good with us, although RPGs are the favourite (We're gonna start up Legend of Mana soon)

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

TehGherkin posted:

My buddy and I have been smoking up and going through some old favourites on the PS1 like Tomb Raider and Metal Gear Solid. We wanna play some two player stuff though.

Does anyone have any recommendations for great two person games on the PS1? Either co-op or versus, we don't mind, although co-op is preferred. Any genre is good with us, although RPGs are the favourite (We're gonna start up Legend of Mana soon)

Battle Arena Toshinden 2 was always a personal favorite fighting game outside of the more mainstream games like Tekken, and MK.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Is it okay to post a "Thunderdome" recommendation request?

I'm interested in getting into a Diablo-esque real-time action type game.

I'm looking at Path of Exile and the Marvel Heroes free-to-plays.

If I only have time for one (realistically, I shouldn't have time for either, but what can I say, I'm lazy), which one should it be?

Though I probably lean to fantasy more than super-hero, I like both, and theme is not nearly as important as good game mechanics, progression, ability to easily get multiplayer co-op going without needing real life friends (because I have none, at least none that game), and graphics in that order.

(Regarding graphics - they do not have to be stunning, but I actually find that as I age, graphics become a bit more important to me. I'm finding that with really ugly indie games like Binding of Issac, the terrible graphics actually do take me out of the game a bit.)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Galick posted:

There are about thirty or forty different classes, each bringing new stuff to the table (or at least different stuff) and every single one of them is 100% viable to take into the post-game.

Also, numbers.

this is honestly kind of lovely for the postgame

I've played the first, but at what point, if any, did they fix that healers could only really progress by tickling stuff with their staff as opposed to, you know, doing their job as healers? Did they change that at any point in the series?

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

Is it okay to post a "Thunderdome" recommendation request?

I'm interested in getting into a Diablo-esque real-time action type game.

I'm looking at Path of Exile and the Marvel Heroes free-to-plays.

If I only have time for one (realistically, I shouldn't have time for either, but what can I say, I'm lazy), which one should it be?

Though I probably lean to fantasy more than super-hero, I like both, and theme is not nearly as important as good game mechanics, progression, ability to easily get multiplayer co-op going without needing real life friends (because I have none, at least none that game), and graphics in that order.

(Regarding graphics - they do not have to be stunning, but I actually find that as I age, graphics become a bit more important to me. I'm finding that with really ugly indie games like Binding of Issac, the terrible graphics actually do take me out of the game a bit.)

The initial hype wave for Path of Exile has passed and is currently ebbing, but it 'officially' launches in two weeks (on Steam too!), so you can expect to see a lot of buzz about the game again soon. The game is really, really good right now. You improve your character through a system similar to FFX's Sphere Grid (take a look at http://poebuilder.com/ to see it) for passive benefits. Your active abilities come from gems you place in sockets in your armor which you can link to support gems that enhance the abilities (e.g. multistrike makes the attack incredibly fast, multiple projectiles adds projectiles, chain turns it into a bouncing attack, melee splash turns a single target melee attack into an AoE, etc.).

The better half of the playerbase plays on hardcore, though, so if that isn't your cup of tea, the game may not be for you. GGG has been working on multi-month races with special modifiers/events, though, and they really hit a chord with a recent softcore race that even drew in a lot of the hardcore playerbase. It ends in two weeks, but they'll have more coming soon, and that'll be enough time to pick up the game and get to know it before the next one starts.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

a medical mystery posted:

I've played the first, but at what point, if any, did they fix that healers could only really progress by tickling stuff with their staff as opposed to, you know, doing their job as healers? Did they change that at any point in the series?

Yeah, as of the 2nd or 3rd game, casters get some exp for casting buffs and heals. Also, bow/gun healer is perfectly viable even if they lose a little bit of range and spell power.

At this point you might want to pick up Disgaea D2 if you're still interested in the series as it's a direct sequel to the first game with the original trio of Etna, Laharl and Flonne starring. The other Disgaea games each have a new cast with previous folks regulated to cameos.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
So then the Disgaea games are mostly standalone plots then that don't require having played the other games in the series? I tried the first one back when it came out and couldn't get into it, but would be willing to try one of the later ones if they've improved.

What's the best NIS SRPG, or the one I should play were I to only play one? What's the least grindy?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

So then the Disgaea games are mostly standalone plots then that don't require having played the other games in the series? I tried the first one back when it came out and couldn't get into it, but would be willing to try one of the later ones if they've improved.

What's the best NIS SRPG, or the one I should play were I to only play one? What's the least grindy?

BAHAHA!

Okay, most of the NIS games are pretty standalone. They all make references to each other, but I started with Disgaea 2 and it was fine. In fact, I'd really recommend that as a gateway to the series - I never had to actively grind till I hit the postgame and that's 100% optional.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
What MMO is most like City of Heroes in gameplay mechanics, if not specifically superhero? I'm referring specifically to being fun to play even as a casual player, don't need specific dynamics in groups, fun even when solo, and travelling is fast and not terribly boring.

Preferably free, but I'll look at pay games. Likewise, I'd prefer it to not be fantasy, but I'll look at those.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Project1 posted:

What MMO is most like City of Heroes in gameplay mechanics, if not specifically superhero? I'm referring specifically to being fun to play even as a casual player, don't need specific dynamics in groups, fun even when solo, and travelling is fast and not terribly boring.

Preferably free, but I'll look at pay games. Likewise, I'd prefer it to not be fantasy, but I'll look at those.

I thought The Old Republic felt a bit CoH/CoV'ish, and has pretty good story.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Project1 posted:

Opinions will differ on this subject, but I got CoH vibes from Star Trek Online. I also think DC Universe Online is a lot of fun. DCUO in particular has the most amazing interpretation of Super Speed I have ever seen, it is a sheer joy to use. If the runspeed seems slow you can upgrade it at level 9.

I should note that I really like both Star Trek and DC Comics so I'm sure that affects my opinion. I gave Champions Online a shot till about level 8 and thought it was goddamn terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?
What games did I probably miss last year? I'm talking about games that most people overlooked because of bad reviews, bad publicity etc. but were actually good. Things like Alpha Protocol and Spec Ops that were "bad" in the eyes of many game reviewers but were actually good.