Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Plus riding up to the top of buildings, and then parachuting down to some lower one and killing 4 snipers who aren't paying attention is always awesome.

I've become very good at a HALO style jump from the building between D and E, down to the D building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lord Yod posted:

I actually really like the dynamic of having to deal with rooftop snipers everywhere.

You don't really have to do much to deal with them. They aren't going to hit you ever anyways. My favorite are the snipers who will take a helicopter by themselves, land it on a rooftop, and just stay there.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You don't really have to do much to deal with them. They aren't going to hit you ever anyways.

No joke, I only worry about my angles in relation to rooftops when I set up my bipod someplace in the open.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

After about five hours of play, I think I've been killed by rooftop snipers 2 or 3 times.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

I've become very good at a HALO style jump from the building between D and E, down to the D building.

HALO jumping in general is just superbly done in this game. I love the mad scramble off the rooftop of C when the building comes down.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I've seen pubbies park transport helos on top of the C roof and I'm not sure whether to leave it there or to try and strafe it around the roof to keep it from getting stolen or blown up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The one instance that stands out in my mind is when I spawned into a transport helo about 5 seconds before the pilot landed it onto a roof inaccessible by elevator. I ended up just taking the thing and dropping it into the bay while I parachuted onto C so at least other people would have a chance to use it once it respawns. If you're going to waste a helicopter on moving to a rooftop, the least you could do is C4 it after you get out.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

The one instance that stands out in my mind is when I spawned into a transport helo about 5 seconds before the pilot landed it onto a roof inaccessible by elevator. I ended up just taking the thing and dropping it into the bay while I parachuted onto C so at least other people would have a chance to use it once it respawns. If you're going to waste a helicopter on moving to a rooftop, the least you could do is C4 it after you get out.

I did that once and the guy yelled at me "I WAS DOING RECON YOU IDIOT"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My favorite is the few roofs that have elevator access. In the early days of the beta, most wookies didn't know the elevators existed.
Then you ride the elevators up and take all their tags.
Even now, you can still ride the elevator up with more firepower and have a 50/50 shot of killing all of them.

edit: re: bullet drop, are you zeroing your scope? Because it makes popping immobile targets at a distance hilariously easy.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

canyoneer posted:

My favorite is the few roofs that have elevator access. In the early days of the beta, most wookies didn't know the elevators existed.
Even now, you can still ride the elevator up with more firepower and have a 50/50 shot of killing all of them.

Except in domination where you can pretty much expect that 90% of the time there's some rear end in a top hat just sitting for the entire map prone staring at the elevator with an LMG. Yes, yes I know XM25, the other roof ladders, etc.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

canyoneer posted:

edit: re: bullet drop, are you zeroing your scope? Because it makes popping immobile targets at a distance hilariously easy.

Is there a good way to gauge distance other than just guessing?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Use the laser designator. It's a rangefinder too, you know.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The PLD has a range-finder. The PLD is amazing as a sniper's companion; it has a rangefinder, IRNV, and a wide FOV for the zoom it has.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

canyoneer posted:

I'm usually just using an assault rifle or LMG. I do use the sniper rifles sometimes though, does zeroing work for downward angles? I guess what I don't understand is whether gravity affects bullet drop realistically (in my relatively uninformed estimation) or if projectiles arc the same regardless of relation to the ground.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lord Yod posted:

HALO jumping in general is just superbly done in this game. I love the mad scramble off the rooftop of C when the building comes down.

This is the only game mechanic that I've ever seen which will make the fairer sex say something to the effect of "wow" without being totally patronizing

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

So BF4 has offensive and defensive upgrades, are these any different from stopping power and juggernaut from COD?

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Hadlock posted:

This is the only game mechanic that I've ever seen which will make the fairer sex say something to the effect of "wow" without being totally patronizing

Last night I parachuted onto a squad of 4 people , killed 3 with the LMG and had to switch to a pistol to finish the last one off. I literally roared and the girlfriend yelled "BEAST MODE" and did a pelvic thrust. It's been great for our relationship so far.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

.TakaM posted:

So BF4 has offensive and defensive upgrades, are these any different from stopping power and juggernaut from COD?

Only in that they're nothing alike whatsoever.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Do you know any specific details? from what I've heard it's choosing between bullets giving more damage, or receiving less damage when shot.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nothing in BF4 increases bullet damage, and the armour perk is a 10% reduction to the chest hitbox only.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

.TakaM posted:

Do you know any specific details? from what I've heard it's choosing between bullets giving more damage, or receiving less damage when shot.

Nothing of the sort. Defensive line, depending on your squad's actions in the current map, gives you slight bullet resistance on chest hits, resistance to suppression, flak, and reduced regen timers. Offensive gives you sprint/ammo/grenades/reduced fall damage.

They're not perm perks, you earn them by doing squad things each round, and they can get reset if your squad gets wiped out enough times.

Release will have a couple other lines, Shadow and something else.

Basically, they're nothing like CoD's perks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

.TakaM posted:

What? No. For the most part it's "run faster, have more ammo, don't remember, and less falling damage" or "getting shot in the chest, and like less suppression or some poo poo I don't know use the offensive ones."

You only get the first one unless you're a team player and play with your squad. Then you unlock them as you do good together. I guess it's to promote teamwork but whatever man it's way different than what you think.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
How does that weird upgrade bar work anyway? Is it squad wide and only the squad leader's bar counts? Is it personal? And what the hell are the defensive bonuses - the battlelog will only tell you what the unlockable offensive stats are, not what the defensive ones do.

^^I guess that answers everything.
Edit: Wait, so you need to be in a squad and do squad things together to build the upgrade bar and unlock the perks - but every member of the squad uses only his own selected perk bar?

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 9, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

.TakaM posted:

http://bf4central.com/2013/09/battlefield-4-field-upgrades-revealed/

As it happens, absolutely none of them make your weapons do more damage.

SAMARIX
Jul 8, 2013

.TakaM posted:

In BF4 the perks are called Specializations or Field Upgrades. You can chose between a few sets of them including some that are class specific.

They are squad perks that you get by being in a squad and actively having your squad complete objectives for squad XP. Each squad level you gain, you earn what is next in your specialization, i.e. Lvl 1 in the defense specialization is body armor that gives 10% reduced bullet damage to the chest.
As you can see it's only 10% to the chest, not the head. At most it helps you not get 1 shot ko'ed from a sniper body shot, or i'm guessing taking 1 - 2 more bullets.

They are all little perks that help but are not going to be anything to crazy. You also need to have a squad that is working as a team to gain xp, so you cant just get them lone wolf.
You also lose a squad level if your whole squad wipes. This is to promote team work and staying alive.

Theres also no perks that help with damage. It's mostly more ammo/protection from something specific.

SAMARIX fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 9, 2013

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
How exactly do boosts work? Are they applied at the end of the round the game you use them, as soon as you use them, or at the end of the next round you play, or something else?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

SAMARIX posted:

In BF4 the perks are called Specializations or Field Upgrades. You can chose between a few sets of them including some that are class specific.

They are squad perks that you get by being in a squad and actively having your squad complete objectives for squad XP. Each squad level you gain, you earn what is next in your specialization, i.e. Lvl 1 in the defense specialization is body armor that gives 10% reduced bullet damage to the chest.
As you can see it's only 10% to the chest, not the head. At most it helps you not get 1 shot ko'ed from a sniper body shot, or i'm guessing taking 1 - 2 more bullets.

They are all little perks that help but are not going to be anything to crazy. You also need to have a squad that is working as a team to gain xp, so you cant just get them lone wolf.
You also lose a squad level if your whole squad wipes. This is to promote team work and staying alive.

There also is none that help with damage. It's mostly more ammo/protection from something specific.

Just to clarify coming from BF3:

These 'squad perks' are no longer apply their bonus to all members of a squad right?

You have 4 levels of squad XP you can earn, which is shared with the whole squad(ie the squad is level 2). Every squad level gives each individual player whatever perk they have set to each level?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I've occasionally seen something like 'field upgrade lost' come across the screen when I die. Does that mean they appear during matches? And if so, can you choose them somehow?

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Ah k, thanks guys.
I was worried because of magnum ammo/body armor from BC2 and wanted to make sure it wasn't that simple again.

SAMARIX
Jul 8, 2013

Captain Beans posted:

Just to clarify coming from BF3:

These 'squad perks' are no longer applied squad wide right?

You have 4 levels of squad XP you can earn, which is shared with the whole squad. Every squad level gives each individual player whatever perk they have set to each level?

That is correct.

Every person can chose their own specialization set.

a foolish pianist posted:

I've occasionally seen something like 'field upgrade lost' come across the screen when I die. Does that mean they appear during matches? And if so, can you choose them somehow?

When you lose a field upgrade, it means everyone in your squad died.
You can see what your squad level and what perks are active above your minimap.

You chose what specialization you want in the load out menu along with your guns. In the beta you default to the defensive spec and you need to unlock the offensive spec. I think those are the only 2 in the beta.

SAMARIX fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 9, 2013

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

Lord Yod posted:

I actually really like the dynamic of having to deal with rooftop snipers everywhere.

When I see rooftop snipers I imagine a guy crouched down on a building a few stories tall. What I experienced in BF4 would be more accurately described as sniping from a skyscraper.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

As a BF novice can someone explain the concept of "suppression"? Do you get points for shooting near somebody but not hitting them or something?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Trisk posted:

As a BF novice can someone explain the concept of "suppression"? Do you get points for shooting near somebody but not hitting them or something?

Bullets flying at you in a close proximity will cause a blur on the screen simulating the stress of being shot at. Different guns cause greater amounts of supression(from most to least) vehicle heavy weapons -> personal machine guns -> other personal weapons. You'll get some points for suppression if you blast away at a dude enough(or with a big enough gun) to cause that blur suppression state and then someone else kills him.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Trisk posted:

That's it. So if somebody's behind a wall or in cover, you can spray the area down. Machine guns or vehicles get the best bonus at this behavior, but weapon fire landing/passing close to your character will make your weapon harder to control and your vision blur as your guy panics or whatever. This means suppressive fire actually has the effect of letting you move away/closer to a target that you've pinned back, instead of letting him dart out and pull of normal accuracy return fire.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Trisk posted:

Yeah, if someone dies while you're shooting vaguely at them you get some suppression points. Support is way better at suppression than any other class.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Is there a .cfg file somewhere that stores your keybinding/settings?

I had all of mine wiped(I guess from this patch yesterday or whatever), and would like to back it up this time. Figuring it out when taking off in a helo is too late :(

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

Lord Yod posted:

I thought the sniping situation would suck but I thinks it's perfect. Yeah, there are a lot cooler sniping spots now, but unlike BF3 and BC2 the buildings offer a much more limited view of the map than the boring hilly terrain of the earlier. We don't have hills that overlook the entire map anymore. It's really easy to avoid getting sniped now if you pay attention to your visibility.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Once you get used to the tanks they become extremely deadly. A lot of players misjudge how much distance you can cover with turbo, and I've run down entire squads that thought that they could run across the street behind me. The weight of the tank also lets you push around other vehicles, especially IFV's. Slamming them into terrain or pushing them around tends to gently caress over people's brains and they just shut down, to the point where they just jump out of the vehicle and run for it.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Trisk posted:

Except in domination where you can pretty much expect that 90% of the time there's some rear end in a top hat just sitting for the entire map prone staring at the elevator with an LMG. Yes, yes I know XM25, the other roof ladders, etc.

Hey I don't camp that thing. But if I hear the ding or see the doors are closed your drat right I am pointing my gun there for free kills.

Also is there a way to stream and not show a overlay? I was in a server with a guy who was wrecking everyone. After I left I saw he was on twitch and watched for 15min or so and he was prefireing a bunch of corners with no one spotted but every time he did it he got a kill. Guy only ever died by being shot in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tboeske01
Apr 6, 2011

in the end the addition of charles barkley did improve the amount of dunk in the proposed replacement picture as expected, even exceeding our more modest projections easily.
I would have to say my best run so far has been coming out of and elevator killing 4 people with the DMR (yes i know I am bad); jumping off the roof dropping C4 onto a tank getting a multi-kill; then killing 2 more random people at B and dying to some random gently caress that spawned behind me. :(

• Locked thread