Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

Punch-drunk tears of a clone.
xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
My phone is still a potato, but Conrad and Clover have decided that under my desk is their new house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnGuOmqWIfE

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Hana Dammit posted:

Also they can be little jerks. Here is a video of Butter bullying a poor innocent kitten
http://statigr.am/p/558900398024775258_15101492
http://statigr.am/p/558896993785042455_15101492
http://statigr.am/p/558905387795306172_15101492
Kitten just wanted to hang out on the bed (which is the Kitten's actual bed) but Butter decided it was his and would not let Kitten rest there! So rude!
Hate to be a party pooper but this does not look like fun and games to me. It's obvious that the kitten thinks it's trying to play with the rabbit. But everything in Butter's body language says he feels he's defending himself from a predator and is scared for his own safety. The charging, the boxing, all of that- those are things a rabbit does when it feels threatened. Not things they do when they're playing or even being assholes.

Do these situations happen a lot?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

DS at Night posted:

Hate to be a party pooper but this does not look like fun and games to me. It's obvious that the kitten thinks it's trying to play with the rabbit. But everything in Butter's body language says he feels he's defending himself from a predator and is scared for his own safety. The charging, the boxing, all of that- those are things a rabbit does when it feels threatened. Not things they do when they're playing or even being assholes.

Do these situations happen a lot?

Im going to have to agree. Only because he is not running in and lowering his head in a bunny "groom me odd bunny" way and is literally charging in with his forearms up in an aggressive way. When rabbits play they binky and run around and interact in a decidedly different manner than when they are pissed. Butters looks pissed.

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

Punch-drunk tears of a clone.
xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 16, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Yeah, Ella and Stan play in a very different way. Ella never charges or boxes, she just goes up to Stanley when the cat's napping and boops her with her nose to go 'catch me motherfucker', and runs away. She's always got someplace to easily escape to that Stanley cant get. I mean, I hope it's friendly playing, even though Stan's usually the instigator, but it's never gone past Stan chasing Ella about for a few seconds and then the two of them pretty much ignoring each other. No cuddling, but Stan's not a cuddly cat.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Well I'm not saying he's right or justified in behaving that way, it's just that rabbits are prey animals and this is what they do.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Have to say, also looks to me like your bunny isn't having a good time and is most likely distressed.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Prawned posted:

Have to say, also looks to me like your bunny isn't having a good time and is most likely distressed.

So what is appropriate play behavior exactly?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Sunki must be the most patient rabbit in the world. Pepper causes PTSD, not cures it.

I wouldn't have thought rabbits would have been a good service animal because they die so easily.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
According to his blog, Sunki's owner has six other rabbits in addition to Sunki. So I guess if Sunki passed away, he could hopefully find support in his other buns. The guy is crazy about rabbits and seems to dedicate a lot of his time to them.

Here's something else from the blog: a bunny car seat, which is something I'd never thought of before.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Is there anything I can do to make my rabbit less lazy? He has the run of the house (more or less) but most days all he wants to do is lie in his litterbox and get fat.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.

Trouble Man posted:

Is there anything I can do to make my rabbit less lazy? He has the run of the house (more or less) but most days all he wants to do is lie in his litterbox and get fat.

The only thing rabbits have to do is find food, not be eaten and make babies. He doesn't have to do any of those so uh, I dunno. I hold on to their greens and break pieces off to throw across the room. they run off and eat them and then come back to wait for another toss. My male likes to be chased around, so I chase him around until he gets tired of it and stops. I guess you just need to see what he responds to.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Abe Frohman posted:

The only thing rabbits have to do is find food, not be eaten and make babies. He doesn't have to do any of those so uh, I dunno. I hold on to their greens and break pieces off to throw across the room. they run off and eat them and then come back to wait for another toss. My male likes to be chased around, so I chase him around until he gets tired of it and stops. I guess you just need to see what he responds to.

I encourage Harriet to go exploring by leaving treats hidden around the apartment (Where she can access.)

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

I encourage Harriet to go exploring by leaving treats hidden around the apartment (Where she can access.)

I used to do the same, but sometimes you forget where you put them all and well, time makes fools of us all.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Abe Frohman posted:

I used to do the same, but sometimes you forget where you put them all and well, time makes fools of us all.

I check weekly. And keep a writen list :smug:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Found this on Reddit, seemed relevant.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

This is what our lives have come to, desperately trying to entertain lazy rabbits.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

I check weekly. And keep a writen list :smug:

I have three kids, two rabbits, five rats, a turtle and some fish. I'm not keeping lists of anything.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Abe Frohman posted:

I have three kids, two rabbits, five rats, a turtle and some fish. I'm not keeping lists of anything.

Place treats on other pets/children and use them as moving targets. The bunny must become the hunter.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Charlemagne photo time!

(Literally licking his lips here, amazing)

Photos courtesy of Katarinka, I'm the nerd in the background so I can't take any credit at all.

Karandras fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 6, 2013

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Karandras posted:

Charlemagne photo time!

(Literally licking his lips here, amazing)

That is the look of a very satisfied bunny, right there.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
Cabbage is okay for buns to eat right? I cpuldve sworn I read somewhere that it was bad for them but the HRS had it listed as okay. I'm confused. :confused:

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Mr Confetti posted:

Cabbage is okay for buns to eat right? I cpuldve sworn I read somewhere that it was bad for them but the HRS had it listed as okay. I'm confused. :confused:

It could make them gassy (a painful and possibly dangerous experience for buns) so don't ever *just* give them cabbage. Only very modest amounts. I never give mine any.

Karandras posted:

Charlemagne photo time!

Oh my goodness he's beautiful! The rabbit, I mean. Those eyes :allears:

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

DS at Night posted:

anakha posted:

That is the look of a very satisfied bunny, right there.
Oh my goodness he's beautiful! The rabbit, I mean. Those eyes :allears:

Hah, yeah he's gorgeous. He's a very mischievous bunny but also very full of love, he's always on our laps or licking our faces if they're in reach and he's excellent with all sorts of new people.

He actually stopped eating his bowl of greens shortly after those photos! We hardly ever just put them in a bowl for him and instead generally make him stand up for it or do something cute (or come out of our bedroom if he's snuck in and is all wedged under the bed), we have made him think a staple part of his diet is a treat which is basically the best thing ever.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I wish I could get my bunny to eat veggies or hay. :(

I've tried to completely cut her off from pellets, but she just becomes destructive and/or she'll only eat cardboard/paper from the toys I have around the apartment.

I think she would rather starve to death than eat hay or veggies. And yes, I've tried many different types of hay and veggies. The only one she'll even touch is carrots, and I know they aren't really that good for rabbits.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

So what is appropriate play behavior exactly?

Not that I wish to continue an argument, everybody here loves their bunnies and will have different opinions.

Rabbits are prey animals first and foremost, and I don't think that they play-fight like predators do (the risk of injury is too high, and injury is death). Our bunnies just binky and do relays when they're happy/playful, but if some rabbits do play box then that's probably the cutest thing ever.

I've tried to do more research, but my google-fu is weak and I've been unable to find a more clear resource or answer on the topic.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Hello Bunny thread. I have a quick question.

Yesterday we had to put to have one of our two wonderful bunnies put to sleep. They were bonded and lived together in a cage.

Should I expect the remaining bunny to go through any sort of behavioural change now that she is alone? I feel like I am probably projecting my feelings on her thinking that she will be lonely, but I don't want her to be bored either. She's never been interested in toys, but she loves renovating cardboard houses.

I am really not ready to go out and adopt a new bunny but if she will be missing the companionship and it will enrich her life (and possibly the life of another bunny that needs a home) than that is something I could see doing down the line.

Has anyone been in this situation that could share their experiences?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Hello Bunny thread. I have a quick question.

Yesterday we had to put to have one of our two wonderful bunnies put to sleep. They were bonded and lived together in a cage.

Should I expect the remaining bunny to go through any sort of behavioural change now that she is alone? I feel like I am probably projecting my feelings on her thinking that she will be lonely, but I don't want her to be bored either. She's never been interested in toys, but she loves renovating cardboard houses.

I am really not ready to go out and adopt a new bunny but if she will be missing the companionship and it will enrich her life (and possibly the life of another bunny that needs a home) than that is something I could see doing down the line.

Has anyone been in this situation that could share their experiences?

Yes, she will definitely grieve. In situations like this the standard practice is to place the dead partner in the pen with the live rabbit for a few hours so that she knows that he's dead and won't go looking for him.

As for companionship, yes, she'll miss it. She'll probably be more affectionate for a while but in the long run it would be better if you could find another rabbit to bond her to.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Thank you for the advice. We have the body so we will do that.

She's only six so we will definitely discuss getting a new companion for her. We'll probably just need some time to cope before we can go to the shelter.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Sounds exactly like Bitsy and Paterson. She stayed pretty much the same but I tried to pay a lot more attention to her and spent more time with her. Bonded bunnies don't seem to care too much about you but when they solo they need more love so be sure to be around.

Good luck. I found it really, really hard when Paterson died and Bitsy was still alive but I think that she was fine for the most part. I just tried to make myself more available to her.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Prawned posted:

Not that I wish to continue an argument, everybody here loves their bunnies and will have different opinions.

Rabbits are prey animals first and foremost, and I don't think that they play-fight like predators do (the risk of injury is too high, and injury is death). Our bunnies just binky and do relays when they're happy/playful, but if some rabbits do play box then that's probably the cutest thing ever.

I've tried to do more research, but my google-fu is weak and I've been unable to find a more clear resource or answer on the topic.

It's too late, you've already hurt my very sensitive rabbit owner feelings, now I must retreat to the hugbox.

I had said that Ella does not box. She also only makes noise when she's annoyed or pissed. Ella blitzes around the patio with Stanley, and will sometimes 'strafe' or otherwise pester Stan if the cat's ignoring her.

Anyway, Ella's still on cage rest as I'm not happy with how she's going on her bum leg. The sore is all closed up, not swollen or warm at all, she allows us to handle the leg and scabbed area without adverse reaction, and she's only got one more dose of bayatril left. However, she still seems to favor it, and does not move like she used to. I have found that keeping her confined inspires her to eat more hay, as opposed to destroying the citrus trees and bromeliads.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's too late, you've already hurt my very sensitive rabbit owner feelings, now I must retreat to the hugbox.

I had said that Ella does not box. She also only makes noise when she's annoyed or pissed. Ella blitzes around the patio with Stanley, and will sometimes 'strafe' or otherwise pester Stan if the cat's ignoring her.

This sounds like perfectly normal play behaviour to me.

kells
Mar 19, 2009

Aww Lily :3:

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

That's awesome.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Abe Frohman posted:

Sounds like my girlfriend. Two rats, two hamsters, one turtle, one parakeet, one rabbit.
Rats are super good pets and I recommend them to everyone thinking of getting hamsters or gerbils.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Was reading up on speedrings for my new soft oxes when I look over and see...

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

JerikTelorian posted:

Sounds like my girlfriend. Two rats, two hamsters, one turtle, one parakeet, one rabbit.
Rats are super good pets and I recommend them to everyone thinking of getting hamsters or gerbils.

I love rats and always sing their praises but if you do not handle them enough as babies, they will be vicious.

I miss my New Balance. :( sweetest rat I ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Anyway, Ella's still on cage rest as I'm not happy with how she's going on her bum leg. The sore is all closed up, not swollen or warm at all, she allows us to handle the leg and scabbed area without adverse reaction, and she's only got one more dose of bayatril left. However, she still seems to favor it, and does not move like she used to. I have found that keeping her confined inspires her to eat more hay, as opposed to destroying the citrus trees and bromeliads.

Think we got our lines crossed, I was referring to the video of Prince Butter boxing with the kitten!