Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

bbcisdabomb posted:

DSU with a Storage Bus attached. Don't dispose of a thing in case something needs a billion dirt or something.

And I'm pretty sure a Quarry will work if you put a ME Interface on top of it.

Exactly what I was gonna suggest, and exactly what I use with my current load of ~95,000 cobblestone. As for the Quarry, no clue. I do know from experience that the laser drill does not work directly outputting into an Import Bus.

Dux Supremus posted:

I've been finding Nether chests work pretty well if you're not at the stage to string up cable all the way to wherever your dig site is.

Ender chests or item tesseracts work just fine as well. Unlike the import busses, the tesseracts will also accept outputs directly from quarries and drills. Just have the tesseract dump into a chest afterwards for the AE bus to pick up the goods. Personally I have an ender chest sitting on top of one of my laser drills and carry an ender pouch in my inventory. That way if I go exploring I can teleport any and all of the goods I want to keep directly to my AE system for safe keeping as the Ender Chest does double duty as drill output and cross-dimensional AE input bin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Alkydere posted:

Exactly what I was gonna suggest, and exactly what I use with my current load of ~95,000 cobblestone. As for the Quarry, no clue. I do know from experience that the laser drill does not work directly outputting into an Import Bus.

Import busses didn't work with MFR machines when I last played in 1.5.2. ME Interfaces did work, though, and you might try that with the laser drill.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
On a multiplayer server some dude I worked with would set up a quarry adjacent to a tesseract, the tesseract would feed into a buildcraft pipeline which separated the main garbage drops (dirt, cobble, sand, gravel) into four Deep Storage Units, all the ores would get dumped into an array of chutes which fed into more chutes which fed into pulverizers which fed into more chutes which fed into powered furnaces, and then all the ores and everything else dug up got piped into a chest with an import bus on it.

It worked great, but the more he gathered materials with his eight quarries he moved about deep enough under the earth not to breach the landscape, the rougher the lag got on that server. Gee I wonder why, I bet it was some jerk's space program.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

It worked great, but the more he gathered materials with his eight quarries he moved about deep enough under the earth not to breach the landscape, the rougher the lag got on that server. Gee I wonder why, I bet it was some jerk's space program.

More likely that was his pipes. Buildcraft pipes hooked up to a max speed quarry crush servers (quarries already crush pretty drat hard on their own), and if you multiply that by 8 you have a very sad server operator. Tell him to use ME next time.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Taffer posted:

More likely that was his pipes. Buildcraft pipes hooked up to a max speed quarry crush servers (quarries already crush pretty drat hard on their own), and if you multiply that by 8 you have a very sad server operator. Tell him to use ME next time.

Wouldn't that involve quantum gates to ship from the quarries to the base? These quarries were scattered across the map more or less randomly, in part to hide our base and in part because it was super easy to just power suit somewhere random, sink a 8 deep hole, and drop a redstone power cell, a quarry, and an item tesseract in a row.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mystic Mongol posted:

Wouldn't that involve quantum gates to ship from the quarries to the base? These quarries were scattered across the map more or less randomly, in part to hide our base and in part because it was super easy to just power suit somewhere random, sink a 8 deep hole, and drop a redstone power cell, a quarry, and an item tesseract in a row.

No? You use the item tesseract to send all your stuff back to the base anyway, just slap an import bus or ME Interface on there and you're golden.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
You can import bus off of a tesseract?

Neat!

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
^^^
E: Just use an ME interface; anything dumped into one gets sucked into the network if there's a place to store it.

bbcisdabomb posted:

DSU with a Storage Bus attached. Don't dispose of a thing in case something needs a billion dirt or something.

And I'm pretty sure a Quarry will work if you put a ME Interface on top of it.

Uses for like a billion dirt - creating a singularity to stretch out your ME network. You can also recycle it faster by using a storage cell to load a lot into the condenser all at once.

Also, depending on how far your quarry is from the ME system, it can be less troublesome to pump the items back with a tesseract than to run ME cable the full distance, especially if said quarry is in another dimension.

Edit: Oh, hello new page.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 9, 2013

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Alkydere posted:

Once you get a hang of it, AE's nifty and really easy. The biggest real hurdle for it is the amount of quartz it takes (both nether and the mod's own certus variant). Honestly, the amount of quartz you need almost makes you need to have fun with Quarries or building a Mining Laser. But...once you do the functionality AE gives you is pretty easy to understand and useful.

gently caress Quartz. This is why I will only use AE with Magic Crops available since Nether Seeds function with fertilizer of any variety and make for a low effort source of quartz. :colbert:

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Oh hell yes. This is one of the things I've been fretting over; I tied myself to MFR's RedNet shortly before the 1.6 update, and I've not wanted to try to rip it out and replace it with a stock redstone system for my own 1.6 update.

Party time.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Playing CantorPack (so essentially BigDig + IC2), what's the best way to get renewal fertilizer? At the moment I'm farming white flowers and using automatic crafting tables to turn them into bone meal, but with the changes to how bone meal works I don't think it's very efficient. I'm not above changing config settings to revert the bone meal nerf :shobon:

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

EvilHawk posted:

Playing CantorPack (so essentially BigDig + IC2), what's the best way to get renewal fertilizer? At the moment I'm farming white flowers and using automatic crafting tables to turn them into bone meal, but with the changes to how bone meal works I don't think it's very efficient. I'm not above changing config settings to revert the bone meal nerf :shobon:

I'm not 100% clear on what you want here - do you mean a renewable source of bonemeal?

If so, Magical Crops' skeleton soul seeds are one of the more efficient ways of getting it, and you can automate it with MFR's harvester.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Alkydere posted:

How would I set it up to only craft X cells when needed with AE? I've figured out the network part but not that. Does that get into the big AE crafter multiblock madness?

The AE crafter multiblock thingy is really loving awesome. Hop on that poo poo; I wish I had earlier. Build the smallest size and then use it to craft the blocks needed to expand it. Making 64k discs is trivial (well, apart from the quartz cost) when you automate all of the smaller component cells. It takes less time to create the powersuit recipes than it does to build an upgraded suit even once.

Taffer posted:

Yup. The guys used to constantly yell at me for my BC pipe rats' nests and the harm they inflicted on the server.
Quarry -> tesseract -> dirt/cobble DSU bypass -> ME system, ME -> ore processing -> ME

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

MisterOblivious posted:

Yup. The guys used to constantly yell at me for my BC pipe rats' nests and the harm they inflicted on the server.
Quarry -> tesseract -> dirt/cobble DSU bypass -> ME system, ME -> ore processing -> ME

Depressing. There's little in life as cool as a big tangle of pipes with carefully sorted stone and cobblestone systems to let as many flows as possible pass through your main work area as if Serial Experiments Lain had exploded. A short stack of ME servers just isn't the same as twenty big dumb interlocking pipe systes.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mystic Mongol posted:

Depressing. There's little in life as cool as a big tangle of pipes with carefully sorted stone and cobblestone systems to let as many flows as possible pass through your main work area as if Serial Experiments Lain had exploded. A short stack of ME servers just isn't the same as twenty big dumb interlocking pipe systes.

gently caress yes. Back in the halycon days of 1.4 I remember setting up a sorting system using RP2, Buildcraft, and LP. Keep all that poo poo out in the open so you see all those items being sorted and it was totally badass.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Mystic Mongol posted:

A shame that you can have fun like that with out murdering server/computers. Maybe one of these days they will get around to optimizing minecraft.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You probably can emulate something similar with ComputerCraft and have a bank of monitors with various numbers rolling madly upward/downward/flashing like some madcap nuclear power plant.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

MisterOblivious posted:

They were right to yell at you about BC pipes. They murder servers.

Funny thing is, once you setup a DSU with a Storage Bus and export (using an export bus) your cobblestone to it, you can hook up a storage bus and any new cobble that enters the system will be automatically routed to the DSU. Nifty, right?

No need for BC pipes. Ever.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

You probably can emulate something similar with ComputerCraft and have a bank of monitors with various numbers rolling madly upward/downward/flashing like some madcap nuclear power plant.

I kind of want to make a ComputerCraft stock (as in supply level) ticker system. I know enough LUA to crash a server, so I'm hesitant to do it on the Toast server we have going up. Maybe I'll go buy a minecraft server from Akliz or some such and dev up a stock ticker system that interfaces with ME (somehow).

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

I tend to agree, but your server operator does not. As cool as pipe tangles are, having a server that actually works is more important.

Who knows, maybe the 1.7 server optimizations will help.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Sage Grimm posted:

Maybe I could set up a constantly updating feed of what just got passed in through the tesseract somehow. Bonus points: Whenever a diamond gets dug up, set off a klaxon.

e: Same problem with waterproof pipes? What's the thoughtful user's oil-drilling solution?

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 9, 2013

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

mechaet posted:

I kind of want to make a ComputerCraft stock (as in supply level) ticker system. I know enough LUA to crash a server, so I'm hesitant to do it on the Toast server we have going up. Maybe I'll go buy a minecraft server from Akliz or some such and dev up a stock ticker system that interfaces with ME (somehow).

I think it comes down to if you can get OpenCCSensors to read a ME Access Terminal directly for the types of blocks you want to track. If not, then it's going to be a lot more complex and limited in scope (ie. setting up a bunch of chests/DSUs holding the items instead).

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

e: Same problem with waterproof pipes? What's the thoughtful user's oil-drilling solution?

Liquiducts are amazingly awesome. They will even pump out if you right click them with a wrench (makes them have a red caret on them) and then supply them with a redstone signal. It's how I automate brewing different liquids using a single brewing stand.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Is there a guide on how to setup a modpack on Technic for 1.6.4? I tried to set it up like Olloth's test pack but mine won't launch forge at all, I just get vanilla.

Nevermind; I was using the installer and not the universal. :unsmith:

fondue fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 10, 2013

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Watching Direwolf20's latest (I think?) video, goddamn are those new AE connection things awesome. Using my AE network for liquid transport is going to be amazing, not least because they work with facades :getin:

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

EvilHawk posted:

Watching Direwolf20's latest (I think?) video, goddamn are those new AE connection things awesome. Using my AE network for liquid transport is going to be amazing, not least because they work with facades :getin:

I think that's my biggest problem with TE - no facades.

RmansRvnge
Dec 10, 2000
I made a thing. This mod simply adds a few ores to the MFR mining laser, namely Yellorite, Uranium, Osmium. Tested on the latest Toast Crunchy pack for 1.5.2 since that's what I mainly play. Made for personal use, but sharing here in case anyone finds it useful. I can probably do additional ores if there's interest or demand for it. Updated link to version 3, see readme.txt for details.

MFR Laser Ore Addon

RmansRvnge fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 19, 2013

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

RmansRvnge posted:

I made a thing. This mod simply adds a few ores to the MFR mining laser, namely Yellorite, Uranium, Osmium. Tested on the latest Toast Crunchy pack for 1.5.2 since that's what I mainly play. Made for personal use, but sharing here in case anyone finds it useful. I can probably do additional ores if there's interest or demand for it.

MFR Laser Ore Addon

Fantastic! Now we can get the rest of the ores we need out of laser drills, and I can stop bringing the goon server to its knees with my chunk-eating machine.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
This is possibly inane, but i really wish there was a mod that let me broadcast jukebox/disk music with broadcasting towers (or whatever they are called) via wiring.

Setting up a set of towers around my base and wiring it up to a jukebox to play over a wide area while meandering around appeals to me. :shobon:

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
So recently they recoded the rendering stuff and added stained glass with properly rendered backfaces. This means I can cull the tangled mess of rendering code I currently have. :woop:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

EvilHawk posted:

Try a soul shard filled with skeletons plus an MFR grinder. But white flowers would work, I suppose. You could even grow white flowers, auto-fertilize them with bonemeal, and rapidly push bonemeal production that way.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So I threw together a new profile for trying out some mods on 1.6.2, and I'm running into problems with NEI. Things just aren't displaying correctly. I'm using Soartex for my resource pack in this image, but it does the same on the default:

(I also had to go fix some item id conflicts in Applied Energistics and Magical Crops to even get it to load.)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

RmansRvnge posted:

I made a thing. This mod simply adds a few ores to the MFR mining laser, namely Yellorite, Uranium, Osmium. Tested on the latest Toast Crunchy pack for 1.5.2 since that's what I mainly play. Made for personal use, but sharing here in case anyone finds it useful. I can probably do additional ores if there's interest or demand for it.

MFR Laser Ore Addon

Can this be added to an existing server without causing problems?

Also, do any of the ores you added have any affinity for laser foci? Such as yellow for Yellorite, blue for Osmium and green for Uranium?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Speaking of Yellorite, has anyone heard from Beef lately? Particularly about Big Reactors and moving to 1.6.2/4?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I think the last we heard of him was him saying he'd be busy and unable to make awesome reactor mods.

RmansRvnge
Dec 10, 2000

Alkydere posted:

Can this be added to an existing server without causing problems?

Also, do any of the ores you added have any affinity for laser foci? Such as yellow for Yellorite, blue for Osmium and green for Uranium?
It shouldn't cause any problems for an existing server, but as always keep backups just in case. The version above only adds those 3 ores with no focus support. I am working on an update, hopefully finished today, which will allow ores to be added from a config file instead of hard coding. The next version, if time allows, will add config options to specify weight (chance to drop) and focus support. Any feedback, suggestions, or bug reports are welcome.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

RmansRvnge posted:

MFR Laser Ore Addon

This is awesome and I wholeheartedly approve. Hell, I don't suppose you'd be willing to share the code? I'd love to integrate this into Big Reactors 0.2 and make laser support "official". Shoot me a PM?

Serifina posted:

Speaking of Yellorite, has anyone heard from Beef lately? Particularly about Big Reactors and moving to 1.6.2/4?

Short answer is my job had me living in airports for a month, and that put a dent in blocky reactor things. I did get to meet the cool Technic dudes in Seattle for beer, though, and that was awesome.

Good news is I'm back and I've been slowly putting together a 1.6.4 build. The big unresolved question was MFR. I tied my big feature for 0.2 into RedNet, and with MFR not-updated, I was going back and rewriting it to work with regular redstone. Which sucks, because most of the work is UI work and Minecraft's UI framework isn't so much "lacking" as "nonexistent". Writing UI for Minecraft is about as much fun as shaving my man-bits with diseased badger teeth.

Then Skyboy released MFR for 1.6.4, so the redstone work is shelved and I'm down to fixing basic compatibility bugs and testing now. That's this weekend's job.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Wow, that sounds like... Fun. And lots of it. Good to see you back, though! BR is my mod-of-choice for power production, and I'm hoping to move my personal server to 1.6.4 next week. :)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
A bit off topic but,

Does anyone have the story of this guy? Modpack is Yogbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

SugarAddict posted:

A bit off topic but,

Does anyone have the story of this guy? Modpack is Yogbox.

Israphel
http://yogscast.wikia.com/wiki/Israphel

Run.

• Locked thread