Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

OnimaruXLR posted:

Cowardly bounties are such a buzzkill :argh: I mean I understand you don't want to die dude but unless you've been playing pretty terribly 2000 bucks isn't going to kill you the way your bounty could make someone else's day

Bounties are sort of dogshit because if you have one you're most likely going to be badsport'd blowing up jerks trying to claim it, the payout is really low unless it's placed by NPCs, and you can't see how much whoever you're chasing is worth.

Also, tanks being picked up by Cargobobs can't be used as mobile turrets, unfortunately. Your barrel doesn't actually depress, you shoot straight ahead. So unless you're dogfighting another Cargobob, killing a guy on a roof, or your pilot is really low to the ground it isn't viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Party Plane Jones posted:

Bounties are sort of dogshit because if you have one you're most likely going to be badsport'd blowing up jerks trying to claim it, the payout is really low unless it's placed by NPCs, and you can't see how much whoever you're chasing is worth.

Also, tanks being picked up by Cargobobs can't be used as mobile turrets, unfortunately. Your barrel doesn't actually depress, you shoot straight ahead. So unless you're dogfighting another Cargobob, killing a guy on a roof, or your pilot is really low to the ground it isn't viable.

Where the hell is my mission editor :mad:

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

So unless you're dogfighting another Cargobob

This guy just created a new minigame.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

You ever play that game hammerfight? You can do tankfight in this game.

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
is...is...is got communisms in it...

automaticswim posted:

This guy just created a new minigame.

It happens when you are dealing with the old sa:mp crew.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
If anyone on 360 is grinding something good, send an invite my way please. GT same as SA name.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
Heads up, 1.03 on PS3 disables r2 restarting of missions.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Also, tanks being picked up by Cargobobs can't be used as mobile turrets, unfortunately. Your barrel doesn't actually depress, you shoot straight ahead. So unless you're dogfighting another Cargobob

WOAH, let me just stop you right there. :allears:

I think GTA freeroam is going to raise the bar on emergent gameplay. You are all beautiful and inspirational psychopaths and I'm proud to murder alongside you.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Dosvidanya posted:

Does Rockstar just hate fun?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I'm still pretty miffed that accessing online screwed up my single player save and made the campaign impossible to complete, but the fun I've had in online almost makes up for it. Highlights of my night include:

- Getting into the car of a creepy stranger, who drove us into a back alley, pulled out his gun, and I made a mad dash for two seconds before getting my rear end pumped full of lead

- Finding a dude in the middle of the countryside in his pause menu for like 10 minutes, and almost pushing him into the water before he woke up and shot me to death

- Ferrying another guy around on his errands until the police noticed my stolen car, so I dropped him off at his last destination and gunned it to watch him get torn to shreds

- RPing as :siren:LA JUSTICE:siren:, running down wrongdoing pubbies in my police car to protect the innocent NPCs of the city :cop:

If nothing else, the free-roam is a world of improvement over GTA IV's in that there's actually fun stuff to go do in the city. I'm not a huge fan of the structured PvP modes or the fact that you're practically required to do them in order to unlock things for the free roam, though.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Prokhor posted:

Does Rockstar just hate fun?

No, but they loooooove money.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Dosvidanya posted:

Of course, this is a far more pressing issue than characters disappearing! :shepface:

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Dosvidanya posted:

lol

I hope they at least give out experience for kills in free lobby or something. Like, with the architecture of the game I don't see any way to get substantially "ahead" besides grinding

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dosvidanya posted:

Does it do anything else of note?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Is everyone in STRS and otherwise using assisted aiming? Because "Join Crew Members" just refuses to work, and I'm wondering if that's why.

Edit: Apparently the answer is Yes. As soon as I switched to assisted it put me in games with other STRS.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 9, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't play MMOs, but whatever they are trying to do with tuning the incentive system, is it based on those? Or is it just their own crazy experimental thing?

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

Dosvidanya posted:

I bet you that's literally the only thing this patch did. Soon as I heard someone mention the update was up, I knew it had to be this.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't play MMOs, but whatever they are trying to do with tuning the incentive system, is it based on those? Or is it just their own crazy experimental thing?

Grinding instances forever for fake items is what modern MMOs are all about. This is just so money is harder to get quickly because it's also the currency they are selling.

Most F2P games with a currency system tier it, one the grindable one, and one for the purchaseable one.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The bad sport system is, out of all the bad design choices, the worst. Why should I be called a bad sport when I destroy someone's personal car, when I have no way of knowing it's their car? It means nothing, and it will ruin my character and my gae because someone is trying to kill me so I just blow him up?

If anything needs to be removed, it's that.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Lunethex posted:

The bad sport system is, out of all the bad design choices, the worst. Why should I be called a bad sport when I destroy someone's personal car, when I have no way of knowing it's their car? It means nothing, and it will ruin my character and my gae because someone is trying to kill me so I just blow him up?

If anything needs to be removed, it's that.

It stings a bit more now with the removal of R2 restart but when I got hit with Bad sport on the ps3 I just switched to a new account and powered back up. No skin off my teeth

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Prokhor posted:

It stings a bit more now with the removal of R2 restart but when I got hit with Bad sport on the ps3 I just switched to a new account and powered back up. No skin off my teeth

Yeah but this is on my char who has a lot of fully modified guns, 400k, a house, and cars and poo poo. I can't even play with friends now because of this apparently. They're taking away my progress unfairly.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Lunethex posted:

Yeah but this is on my char who has a lot of fully modified guns, 400k, a house, and cars and poo poo. I can't even play with friends now because of this apparently. They're taking away my progress unfairly.

It only lasts for 2 days at first, at least for me. And I don't really know about unfairly I mean it took A LOT of vehicle kills to get bad sport for me.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I thought bad sport servers would be hilarious open-air kamikaze pubbie deathmatches and actually a better time than the real servers, but I'm sure I read someone say there are (somehow) hackers already.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Lunethex posted:

:stare: This is ridiculous and can't be working as designed.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Antti posted:

You can only play with other bad sports. Me and Agentcow can play together fine for example.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Antti posted:

That's what people have said but I don't have anyone on right now. What's more is, it completely prevents me from ever playing a game with anybody random, unless they're this ill-defined "Bad sport." I guess it's bad sport to blow up someone in a game all about crime and Grand theft auto right? So I can't do any progression all because the game calls me a bad sport for defending myself and blowing up some pubbie's personal car.

But the drama over farming overshadows this unfortunately.

If it just forced people to wear a dunce cap in public, fine. But this is ludicrous; even more so for just blowing up someone's car and for no reason being labeled a bad player.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 9, 2013

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Lunethex posted:

the game calls me a bad sport for defending myself and blowing up some pubbie's personal car.

I think you're really underselling how many times you must have blown a personal car up. It takes like 30 times in a fairly short time without doing missions in between. I mean hey if you seriously just blew his car up once and did a few missions and woke up and hey what the hell then yeah that's hosed up but I'm betting there's something you're not saying.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

No more grinding pretty much kills my interest in playing at all. It's not even about the leveling or money, it's that getting into a mission that's actually fun is a huge pain in the rear end and frankly I'd LIKE to play them over and over. Free roam is boring as poo poo and not fun at all with pubbies, I can never find legitimate races or missions outside of grinding with goons, and doing anything fun makes me a bad sport so that's probably going to do it for me. Good job, R*.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Don't forget you can get bad sport "points" for disconnecting from missions, but there's no DOTA 2 style rejoining when you get DC'd, so if their server shits out, or your internet cuts out for a second, you can end up in the pool filled with hackers and assholes.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Prokhor posted:

I think you're really underselling how many times you must have blown a personal car up. It takes like 30 times in a fairly short time without doing missions in between. I mean hey if you seriously just blew his car up once and did a few missions and woke up and hey what the hell then yeah that's hosed up but I'm betting there's something you're not saying.

It doesn't matter what I'm not saying because the whole point of a free-roam lobby is to do whatever you want. 90% of the time people try to kill you and rob you, hell I've even been sticky bombed at level 5 when robbing stores and the guy steals my stuff. I do that too, and since I got grenades I love planting traps on people.

Then I just happen to blow up their personal car, with no way of knowing (this is the key phrase) that it was their car, so I'm instantly a bad sport for it. I don't even need to say that enabling passive mode does nothing because people can still shoot your tires out, kill you in your car, and run you over.

You lose chump change for dying and from what I've seen insurance isn't even that big of a deal to pay off, so the aggressor is entirely punished for doing something the game actively encourages.

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Don't forget you can get bad sport "points" for disconnecting from missions, but there's no DOTA 2 style rejoining when you get DC'd, so if their server shits out, or your internet cuts out for a second, you can end up in the pool filled with hackers and assholes.

This is what I know would cause bad sport, and the only time I quit a mission was when two people were bumping me out of cover on a survival trying to get me killed.

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups
Wow, an npc put a 9k bounty for jacking its car : ) time for fun.

nic olas
Apr 28, 2003

Lunethex posted:

It doesn't matter what I'm not saying because the whole point of a free-roam lobby is to do whatever you want. 90% of the time people try to kill you and rob you, hell I've even been sticky bombed at level 5 when robbing stores and the guy steals my stuff. I do that too, and since I got grenades I love planting traps on people.

Then I just happen to blow up their personal car, with no way of knowing (this is the key phrase) that it was their car, so I'm instantly a bad sport for it. I don't even need to say that enabling passive mode does nothing because people can still shoot your tires out, kill you in your car, and run you over.

You lose chump change for dying and from what I've seen insurance isn't even that big of a deal to pay off, so the aggressor is entirely punished for doing something the game actively encourages.

This is what I know would cause bad sport, and the only time I quit a mission was when two people were bumping me out of cover on a survival trying to get me killed.

You also get bad boy points for shooting people during jobs and while in the pause screen. So, if someone is shooting at you go into the pause screen before you die so he gets booted.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
The whole of online feels like the devs responsible were locked in a bunker for the duration of development and haven't played any games in recent years that have done away with many of the weird design they've adopted.

Money is a grind (probably deliberate to entice spending of real money for cash), XP is a grind, and worst of all is the fact that failing a mission gives you nothing at all. A good many people probably have no problem with that, but I've come to like the new philosophy game developers have taken in recent years in respecting the time investment of the player. I'm not asking for everything to be handed to me, but when I spend 10 minutes on a mission only to be killed by something that isn't always fair in my opinion, I'd like something to show for my time. A third to half of the XP I'd get for completing the mission would be nice and makes sense in that as a criminal, the player is still "getting experience in the job" even if they don't complete the mission. Then you have the baffling "bad sport" system that has been covered. The amount of money you lose straight out of your banked cash completely discourages screwing around in open world mode which is bizarre for an open world sandbox game. It really does feel like they are trying to frustrate me into buying cash cards and I'm surprised to see it from Rockstar.

Online still has an allure for me despite all this, so I think it's definitely got potential. It just seems really rough and punishing/dejecting for me though (please note that I'm not asking for it to be easy with rainbows and unicorns!). I'm hoping they make a lot of changes in subsequent patches.

Edit: I should also add that the amount of menus you have to go through for missions is needlessly clunky and sometimes confusing too. One of them, I think you have to hit "accept" twice. Just weird.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

nic olas posted:

You also get bad boy points for shooting people during jobs and while in the pause screen. So, if someone is shooting at you go into the pause screen before you die so he gets booted.

Really? I've killed several people who were paused early on and nothing ever happened, no notices no boots.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Mr Scumbag posted:

The whole of online feels like the devs responsible were locked in a bunker for the duration of development and haven't played any games in recent years that have done away with many of the weird design they've adopted.

Money is a grind (probably deliberate to entice spending of real money for cash), XP is a grind, and worst of all is the fact that failing a mission gives you nothing at all.

I really hope the grind gets less of a hassle, at least money-wise, when you get a higher level. Doing missions for about the same cash than you actually lose if you die in free-roam sucks, but if the missions paid off like 20k $ it'd be much better. I don't know if that's the case though since I'm on my third character, just rank 14. Also luckily if you fail a mission you can retry it right away, better than quitting it and not get anything.

Can anyone suggest me a fast way to get better at shooting? I've killed a lot of enemies and made a bunch of headshots, even did a few rounds of (solo) target practice at ammunation, but it seems my shooting skill barely moved. Meanwhile, driving's almost maxed out from races and stamina is going up at a nice pace just running around sometimes. I didn't really get a chance to practice other skills.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 9, 2013

White Devil
Feb 27, 2004
Anyone interested in swapping race wins on the xbox 360? I'm looking to get up to 20 in the sports car class and am willing to do the same for any vehicle class. My live account name is Totenkopfer-- just add or message me and we can figure out the details.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

TorakFade posted:

^^^ I really hope the grind gets less of a hassle, at least money-wise, when you get a higher level. Doing missions for about the same cash than you actually lose if you die in free-roam sucks, but if the missions paid off like 20k $ it'd be much better. I don't know if that's the case though since I'm on my third character, rank 14.

Can anyone suggest me a fast way to get better at shooting? I've killed a lot of enemies and made a bunch of headshots, even did a few rounds of (solo) target practice at ammunation, but it seems my shooting skill barely moved. Meanwhile, driving's almost maxed out from races and stamina is going up at a nice pace just running around sometimes. I didn't really get a chance to practice other skills.

Play Survival and also use Assisted Aim (everyone else does). Just keep tapping aim until you lock on then move up on the LAS (or your aim stick) then get easy headshots. Survival has tons of enemies to fight so you'll go up fast. Boneyard is the easiest map and has a really good hiding spot between the wall and a shed on the right from where you start out, it's where the guys usually drive in.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

TremorX posted:

No more grinding pretty much kills my interest in playing at all. It's not even about the leveling or money, it's that getting into a mission that's actually fun is a huge pain in the rear end and frankly I'd LIKE to play them over and over. Free roam is boring as poo poo and not fun at all with pubbies, I can never find legitimate races or missions outside of grinding with goons, and doing anything fun makes me a bad sport so that's probably going to do it for me. Good job, R*.

I pretty much feel the same, except that I'm a bit more pissed that they did also take out one of the ways to level and get money quickly. I wouldn't mind but when they lock all this good poo poo behind levels that start taking forever to advance in and money which accumulates hella slow for the most part, it just starts to drag on and I stop having fun. Eventually it just turns into me and a friend suicide bombing the hell out of pubbies but thanks R*, I'll likely get stuck in the retarded "Bad sport" pool because I'm supposed to be psychic and know if these pubbies are in their personal car, which looks like every other generic muscle car and lowrider people drive.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 9, 2013

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I randomly queued into a group farming Rooftop Rumble (which coincidentally does not involve a rooftop as far as I can tell) and I went from level 35 to 50 and made almost 1.5 million dollars in about an hour. Quality design decisions folks :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

I randomly queued into a group farming Rooftop Rumble (which coincidentally does not involve a rooftop as far as I can tell) and I went from level 35 to 50 and made almost 1.5 million dollars in about an hour. Quality design decisions folks :geno:

Isn't that mission at a really high rank?

• Locked thread