Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

PhazonLink posted:

Mmmmm I think he might have ruined the bow tie for me.

Not Tucker Carlson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The bow tie is terrible unless you're Bill Nye.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Orange_Lazarus posted:

:hfive: Yo science lovin' buddy.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but haven't certain members of the right-wing media freaked out about Nye in the past? Something about pointing out light would of had to have come after the sun and stars no matter what the Bible says?

It's so sad to think about some blowhard like Rush flinging bullshit and spittle at a nice dude who taught me about dinosaurs and outer space before I hit grade school. :(

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Doctor Who wants a word with you.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The key to wearing a bow tie is to not be a douchebag.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

anonumos posted:

Doctor Who wants a word with you.

Best Troll Post 2013?
:master:

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Not quite right wing media per say, but I'm on vacation staying with the in-laws and they must have CNN on anytime possible. Piers Morgan is on with the typical panel setup complete with Grover Norquist. My wife is almost having an aneurysm listening to the crap CNN is letting him spew without question it seems for "fairness" and all my in-laws give to her is "this is what it means to be fair and balanced". Generally the in-laws votes democratic and blame this shutdown on the GOP, I guess we're just disturbed that listening to outright lies on basic facts is their view of balanced. Either they have more wisdom then us or they really believe the GOP has the slightest point in all this. gently caress CNN is horrible, I'd almost rather watch Fox News which is almost comical at this point then this mass perceived "balanced" news channel that balances poo poo with facts. None of this surprises me, just venting I guess. It needs to stop raining here.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

mr. mephistopheles posted:

He was extremely faux outraged.

That's Glenn Beck's base state of existence. Liberalism still exists, time to be angry.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Sir Tonk posted:

:3: It's like he's talking to me.

How could you not trust this man?

:stare: that fake tan is worse than Romney's Univision sprayjob

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Radio Nowhere posted:

Not quite right wing media per say, but I'm on vacation staying with the in-laws and they must have CNN on anytime possible. Piers Morgan is on with the typical panel setup complete with Grover Norquist. My wife is almost having an aneurysm listening to the crap CNN is letting him spew without question it seems for "fairness" and all my in-laws give to her is "this is what it means to be fair and balanced". Generally the in-laws votes democratic and blame this shutdown on the GOP, I guess we're just disturbed that listening to outright lies on basic facts is their view of balanced. Either they have more wisdom then us or they really believe the GOP has the slightest point in all this. gently caress CNN is horrible, I'd almost rather watch Fox News which is almost comical at this point then this mass perceived "balanced" news channel that balances poo poo with facts. None of this surprises me, just venting I guess. It needs to stop raining here.

At least your relatives vote Democratic in general :suicide:

I avoid all political discussions with my family. I mean ALL of my family. They've even got my brother, the bastards.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
This latest demented talking point is moving fast, so in the grim eventuality that a senior citizen beats a park ranger to death with a Gadsden flag, let's see where it came from.

The Livingston Enterprise of Livingston, Montana, runs a story about an ill-fated tour bus that happened to be making the Yellowstone rounds when the governmental shutdown began. The tourists who had hotel bookings at the time were taken back to their lodging. The tour bus driver says the park rangers acted like the Gestapo. Read the article, it is full of magic.
http://www.eagletribune.com/local/x1442580353/Gestapo-tactics-meet-senior-citizens-at-Yellowstone

quote:

“We’ve become a country of fear, guns and control,” said Vaillancourt, who grew up in Lawrence. “It was like they brought out the armed forces. Nobody was saying, ‘we’re sorry,’ it was all like — ” as she clenched her fist and banged it against her forearm.

quote:

“They looked like Hulk Hogans, armed. They told us you can’t go outside,” she said. “Some of the Asians who were on the tour said, ‘Oh my God, are we under arrest?’ They felt like they were criminals.”

This Eagle Tribune story then appears on the Weasel Zippers blog, which is quoted by the impossibly named Sterling Beard at the National Review's Corner. This results in Mark Steyn, also of NRO, calling the National Park Service the "paramilitary wing of the DNC."

Arriving at the same place all current right wing arguments eventually do, shut-in cartoonist Chris Muir gives us this visual aid, care of the political cartoons thread:

Any questions? I hope not because :suicide:

For supplemental reading, here is an Arizona state rep. posting on Facebook that Obama is Hitler, and generally not helping the situation:
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/10/08/2745661/arizona-state-rep-obama-hitler/

Contrary to the trivializing nature of my post's first line, this is the kind of bullshit agitating that causes bad things to happen in times of economic and emotional distress, especially when we're dealing with a segment of the populace that attributes its frustrations to nameless, faceless bureaucratic institutions (which happen to be comprised of real people).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Monkey Fracas posted:

At least your relatives vote Democratic in general :suicide:

I avoid all political discussions with my family. I mean ALL of my family. They've even got my brother, the bastards.

One of my former military coworkers literally flipped his poo poo and announced, "LET'S NOT TALK ABOUT POLITICS, OK? I don't like him," because while at lunch, another coworker mentioned Obama in some passing joke.

I kind of wanted to press the issue, but decided against it since I'm 110% certain the irony is dead when ex-military guys rage on about taxes.

e: Oh, I forgot 2 important bits of information. He had an early discharge due to lack of funding, and he's trying to get back into the military.

Phone fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 9, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sir Tonk posted:

:3: It's like he's talking to me.

How could you not trust this man?

It's like alternate-universe George Will never got into baseball, but instead dedicated his life to pancakes and spray tan.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Phone posted:

One of my former military coworkers literally flipped his poo poo and announced, "LET'S NOT TALK ABOUT POLITICS, OK? I don't like him," because while at lunch, another coworker mentioned Obama in some passing joke.

I kind of wanted to press the issue, but decided against it since I'm 110% certain the irony is dead when ex-military guys rage on about taxes.

This was a long time ago but when Pepsi rolled out their new logo my former military coworker said with all sincerity that he was boycotting Pepsi products because the logo looked too much like Obama's campaign logo.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

This was a long time ago but when Pepsi rolled out their new logo my former military coworker said with all sincerity that he was boycotting Pepsi products because the logo looked too much like Obama's campaign logo.

This wasn't helped by Pepsi doing an ad campaign where they had inspirational messages with the Pepsi logo replacing the O, similar to Obama's H:obama:PE thing

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

I bet he boycotts all of those products that exploit third world labor and violate human rights too.

No?

Just the product that looks kinda similar to the advertising logo of a president he doesn't like?

Oh, okay.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Von Sloneker posted:

Sterling Beard

Had to do an image search. It's worse than I imagined.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

beatlegs posted:

Had to do an image search. It's worse than I imagined.

That guy looks like he needs a turtleneck.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

OAquinas posted:

That guy looks like he needs a turtleneck.

There you go!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Why do right wing poo poo heads love bowties?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

I bet he boycotts all of those products that exploit third world labor and violate human rights too.

No?

Just the product that looks kinda similar to the advertising logo of a president he doesn't like?

Oh, okay.

The right always has good reasons for boycotts. Like worker's rights or environmental damage. Oh wait, no, that doesn't sound right. Well, hmm, what about Al Sharpton calling white people "crackers" in the 90s? And did you notice that there are sometimes Ritz ads on MSNBC? Ben Shapiro over at Breitbart noticed.

quote:

Sharpton doesn’t dislike all "crackers." One of the companies that has run commercials on Sharpton’s show is Ritz Crackers, owned by Mondelez International. Mondelez gave TruthRevolt this statement: “At Mondelez International we demonstrate our commitment to responsible corporate citizenship by participating in programs that best serve a wide range of local communities and their interests and needs. We extend our responsibility to the sponsorship of tasteful, believable television programming and we avoid sponsorship of programs that would be unacceptable in terms of generally accepted social or community standards.”

If you disagree with Ritz Crackers that Sharpton’s program is “tasteful,” “believable,” and generally acceptable in terms of social or community standards – if you do not think that Sharpton’s brand of divisive racism ought to be sponsored by Ritz Crackers – please click here to sign our petition, call the offices of Mondelez International at (855)535-5648, and tweet @RitzCrackers with hashtag #SharptonsCrackers.

You might recall Ben from earlier in the year when he broke the story about Chuck Hagel supporting the group Friends of Hamas, which turned out to not actually be a group so much as something another reporter told him as an obvious joke the went over his head. Ben's a quick one.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

KomradeX posted:

Why do right wing poo poo heads love bowties?

They're all Mark Russell fetishists?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

There you go!

I just love his voice - it's like someone doing a ridiculous Jimmy Stewart impersonation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's like alternate-universe George Will never got into baseball, but instead dedicated his life to pancakes and spray tan.

Now I want to see George Will cohosting a morning zoo radio show.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

The Ape of Naples posted:

I can't wait to hear all about it.

I will say that that microphone sounds great. It might be backwards looking at the logo on it but that doesn't matter with that mic. It might be a hair brighter on that side anyway.

I love the old ribbon mics - so warm sounding. I think he has a Vorsis M1 mic processor...that might be a factor. Give me that or a SM-5 over the junk RE-20/27s that most stations use

Shame the man is a crazy huckster..has great taste in equipment. Wonder when he will start doing the "Hillary is a secret lesbian" stories...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

There you go!

I always thought he looks more like that cupcake dog.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Radio Nowhere posted:

Yeah, CNN got so bad so gradually that it's hard to know precisely when they really jumped the shark and became this horrible. They're brutal. I watch CNN Headline News for half an hour about every morning just to get the general gist of things, but it's hard to know where to go for real news anymore beyond the internet. It sounds weird, but I actually come here and visit the links that people provide.

You've got CNN, that tries so hard to be fair they just end up sucking worse, FOX, where we know what they do, whatever the hell MSNBC is and then local news which as near as I can tell is made up of 8 minutes of murders, fires and car wrecks, 2 minutes of politics, 5 minutes of sports and then 15 minutes of weather.

The thing that gets me about CNN is that conservatives think that liberals watch it for the same reasons that FOX viewers watch FOX News, which is untrue, bu it sounds like your family actually fits this mold.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
So which of the usual suspects has been railing against Snopes lately? Half a dozen idiots on my FB feed have been posting anti-Snopes and anti-factcheck garbage.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, CNN got so bad so gradually that it's hard to know precisely when they really jumped the shark and became this horrible. They're brutal. I watch CNN Headline News for half an hour about every morning just to get the general gist of things, but it's hard to know where to go for real news anymore beyond the internet. It sounds weird, but I actually come here and visit the links that people provide.

You've got CNN, that tries so hard to be fair they just end up sucking worse, FOX, where we know what they do, whatever the hell MSNBC is and then local news which as near as I can tell is made up of 8 minutes of murders, fires and car wrecks, 2 minutes of politics, 5 minutes of sports and then 15 minutes of weather.

The thing that gets me about CNN is that conservatives think that liberals watch it for the same reasons that FOX viewers watch FOX News, which is untrue, bu it sounds like your family actually fits this mold.

Normally, I'd agree with CNN being obsessed with being fair, but during this shutdown, it seems like they've shifted the goal from "everyone has a point, let's have a discussion :downs:" to "EVERYONE EVER SUCKS, SHUT THE gently caress UP YOU DIRTY LIAR." It's like the people in charge just decided to try and gain a new audience by constantly making GBS threads on whoever they can get a camera in front of. They're really trying to tap into the gently caress-politics crowd with religious fervor now. It's pretty weird to watch.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

So which of the usual suspects has been railing against Snopes lately? Half a dozen idiots on my FB feed have been posting anti-Snopes and anti-factcheck garbage.

I've been noticing some anti-Snopes stuff too, almost for a year now. I'm pretty sure it's organic, oddly enough.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Zeroisanumber posted:

They've probably discovered them as a major source of debunking conservative email chain letters. I mean, you can debunk a conservative chain email with approximately 10 seconds of googling, but the Snopes links are nice to just throw back in someone's face.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, CNN got so bad so gradually that it's hard to know precisely when they really jumped the shark and became this horrible.

Election night 2008, when the will.i.am hologram aired.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ray and Shirley posted:

I've been noticing some anti-Snopes stuff too, almost for a year now. I'm pretty sure it's organic, oddly enough.

Yeah, it's probably a natural extension of the whole "anything outside of my right-wing echo chamber is LIBERALLY BIASED!!" mentality. CNN, NBC, ABC, SNL, you name it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Cruz in his fauxibuster went after fact checking as "yellow journalism"

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Dennis Miller and a caller agreed Obama "acts like a spoiled rich kid" and followed that by saying Romney did not get a fair shake in the election because the media hid information about Obamacare because the entire bill wasn't publicly available or anything.

Where is the growing ironicat?

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
A liberal punching bag was allowed on Rush's show today

quote:

RUSH: This is Joe in Paramus, New Jersey. Great to have you here, Joe. How are you, buddy?

CALLER: I'm fine. Thank you. Thank you for taking the call. It was great to hear you speaking on behalf of the working poor right before the commercial. I think that's the first time I've ever heard you do that. I hope you continue. But my main topic is the government shutdown. The president is going to win this. You have a lot of power and influence. So does Ted Cruz. So does Roger Ailes. But you guys are shouting into an echo chamber, and it's a very small echo chamber. So please keep up what you're doing, keep the government down, keep attacking the president. It's gonna backfire on you in ways you can't imagine.

RUSH: Joe, can I ask you a question?

CALLER: Um, I guess.

RUSH: Well, I won't if you're not --

CALLER: No, no, you go right ahead.

RUSH: Do you ever get embarrassed?

CALLER: Only when people hear me listening to you.

RUSH: Really?

CALLER: Yeah, really.

RUSH: 'Cause I would think that you'd be embarrassed thinking what you think. In the first place, the working poor are championed on this program every day and have been for 25-plus years. Secondly, Obama's not acting like a winner here, Joe. He's acting like a petulant, offended, spoiled rotten little kid. I remember during the sequester right up to the sequester and when it kicked in, we were told that the people were gonna turn against the Republican Party on this, gonna be a disaster, you Republicans, you just keep going. Until it turned out that it didn't happen. And from the polling data I see, Joe, even the lowest of the low-information voters out there realize that the problem isn't the debt limit. It's the debt. And that debt, fully one-third of the national debt is owned by one man, Barack Obama.

I started out as the working poor, Joe. I mean, I epitomized it. I supported myself constantly, and the working poor are the people on this program we champion each and every day. But this guy, folks, did you hear the list of people that he lumped me in with? He gets his news from left-wing websites and it's an example of the partisan divide. What we have here is a guy who does not independently think. Classic low-information voter, classic: smug and overconfident and condescending, all the while being as wrong about everything as he can be, but thinks he has all the answers. I wish you the best, Joe. Keep hanging in out there. And Ted Cruz and I, Roger Ailes, and the rest of the conspirators will keep shouting in this echo chamber, 'cause it matters, Joe, and it works.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/10/09/we_champion_the_working_poor
I love the projection here! Have some more!

quote:

RUSH: Ladies and gentlemen, I had an idea yesterday. That press conference that Obama did, it was juvenile. It was something that a spoiled rotten kid would do. It was petulant. It certainly was not presidential. He called that press conference for one reason: to use the words "hostage," "bomb thrower," and "extremist" for an hour. That's why he did the presser.
Nile Gardiner, UK Telegraph: "Barack Obama's Sinking Leadership: Half of Americans Believe the Founding Fathers Would See the US Today as a Failure." The other half just want their free birth control and their food stamps and their phones. They just want Santa Claus. And there's another Nile Gardiner piece: "President Obama Throws a Tantrum at Press Conference -- Compares His Opponents to Hostage-Takers and Deadbeats." It was "an embarrassing set of hand-picked questions from a largely subservient liberal-dominated media. ... The United States is facing the prospect of a default overwhelmingly because of Obama’s big spending."

And that's the point. Folks, this man has added $6 trillion to the national debt in five years, not even five years, $6 trillion, and he dares go to the microphones of that press conference yesterday and complain and assert that raising the debt limit does not raise the debt. The reason we have to raise the debt limit is him and his party and the irresponsible spending that has taken place, which is burying this country and the future for many young people. The shutdown has been prompted by the imposition of a hugely unpopular health care reform. The American people don't want Obamacare. It has been forced on the American people, despite the fact that Democrats no longer control the House.
This is a president who is incapable of taking responsibility for his own actions; who refuses to listen to any criticism of his policies and is more willing to negotiate with a state sponsor of terrorism in Tehran than to sit down with Republicans in Congress. We are where we are because of Barack Obama and the Democrat Party. And with a 37% approval rating, don't kid yourself. More Americans than you would believe understand that. I'm gonna tell you, folks, those of you Republican and conservative media types inside the Beltway, you do not understand. You do not understand the reaction out here when we see the National Mall shut down to World War II vets and American citizens and opened up in a shutdown to advocates for amnesty. You do not understand the reaction outside where you live.

You do not understand what is happening with people as they learn what is happening to them as they enroll, or try to, in Obamacare. You do not understand what is happening and what people are finding out and how they're reacting when they learn about the mistreatment of uniformed military personnel killed in action and their families, who are being denied benefits and proper respect, trips home, proper burials, all of this being denied purposely by the regime because of the shutdown, when it need not happen at all, and everybody out here knows it's happening because of cheap, childish, immature partisan politics of the president of the United States and his party.
So which is the real Obama? Mr. Civility of 2011, January 8th, or this embarrassing, childlike temper tantrum that we got yesterday that was filled with amazing untruths, such as defaulting on the debt if we don't raise the debt limit. By the way, I'm not saying don't raise the debt limit. That's not my argument. But we're not gonna default if we don't. We have plenty of revenue coming in to pay the interest on the debt if the debt limit isn't raised. It's not the catastrophe that he's trying to play it out to be, make it out to be.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/10/09/what_happened_to_mr_civility_from_tucson

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Would Limbaugh just have a stroke and die already.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm sure his elderly fans on social security will be very happy that we were able to pay the interest on the debt as they starve under a bridge.

quote:

You do not understand what is happening with people as they learn what is happening to them as they enroll, or try to, in Obamacare.

Did someone get raped by a 404 page while I wasn't paying attention?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
That's actually frightening on multiple levels; Rush is setting up the argument that the default will be Obama's fault when it happens, because he could have just chosen to pay the interest and shut down everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Would Limbaugh just have a stroke and die already.

Fingers crossed for the stroke, but why would you want him to die? I want Limbaugh to live another ten years or so getting spit wiped off of his bib by a mexican nurse.