Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

grover posted:

Concrete mixing plants come on wheels, too!

For big jobs:

They recently opened up a big new stretch of highway near me. I'd occasionally drive by the big staging area and I remember seeing what kinda looked like a small concrete plant they built for the project. Handy for big stuff, I'd imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
True story: One of those little portable jobbies fell off the back of a pickup and clocked me on the head once.

Concussions suck.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

kefkafloyd posted:

I just drove by it this weekend (the I-93 thing), it really is impressive, for a directional wye.

Did you drive on the on-ramp itself or just past it? Feels like real life Need for Speed if you're going southbound from the mall.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

dupersaurus posted:

That ties into something I've wondered about before: how much does the local area's ability to produce asphalt and concrete affect the time you can build stuff in?

For a big project, you build a concrete and asphalt plant somewhere nearby. On the A19, Eurovia built a really nice, full-size asphalt plant to pave the road when it was ready.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So no one likes this big new interchange in the city. It was built entirely for political reasons too, the signal was working fine for the fairly minimal traffic the airport gets. Most everyone agrees this is an over-engineered mess but most blamed "stupid north americans" for everyone's confusion about it, but I'm leaning more and more towards it just being a poo poo design.

http://goo.gl/maps/7avbJ
here's the interchange.

And here's the article.
http://www.timescolonist.com/steve-wallace-readers-weigh-in-on-mctavish-roundabouts-1.648955

Telling people to fly into another airport to avoid it is insane, but people experienced with driving in europe or the UK/Ireland all say it's poo poo too.

It's hard to tell from the map but from my own limited experience with it, you have no idea what you're even driving towards until you're basically in it, and then you suddenly have to react to it. For a lot of people that aren't super comfortable with such systems, they panic and have no clue what to do. I've driven it a few times and still get pretty nervous some idiot is going to hit me, or I'm not in the right lane or what ever.

There is no major growth planned for the area, no developments, just an airport with pretty flat traffic numbers that was served mostly fine by a signal. A very simple fly-over eliminating the left turn from the south would have been more than enough.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Roundabouts used to save a few ramps on highway interchanges are one of the worst things British road engineers ever made and exported. And here it looks like someone tried to do that, but then went and made even more anyway.

It really looks like it could have been solved with a simple diamond or trumpet interchange to the airport road, and some frontage roads to cover up loose ends.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Well, we do have these everywhere, or more basic forms of it, but it looks like they overdid it a bit in your case! Or maybe they just haven't placed the new signs yet...
The ones we have seem to work well, a roundabout helps to slow drivers down and make them realize it's not a highway any more, and you rarely need to wait.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 4, 2013

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

It *looks* like there's nothing massively wrong with it.

Install Windows posted:

It really looks like it could have been solved with a simple diamond or trumpet interchange to the airport road, and some frontage roads to cover up loose ends.

But it's just a diamond interchange anyway, and the roundabouts have only four legs each. Maybe there's something wrong with it on a micro level :confused:

e2: Okay I should have read the article haha

Koesj fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 4, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
drat, that might not be so bad if I drove it every day, but it looks confusing as hell to try to navigate at speed unless you've driven it enough times to memorize it.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Christ grover you don't go through roundabouts 'at speed', or are you going to go off into "but I was only doing 90 in a 55!" in this thread as well.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Koesj posted:

Christ grover you don't go through roundabouts 'at speed', or are you going to go off into "but I was only doing 90 in a 55!" in this thread as well.
:rolleyes: "at speed" being probably about 25-30mph in this case. If this was the first time I was doing this intersection, I'd probably be doing 10 under trying frantically to read the signs and figure out which way to go while simultaneously trying to avoid getting hit by an SUV.

grover fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 4, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

grover posted:

:rolleyes: "at speed" being probably about 25-30mph in this case. If this was the first time I was doing this intersection, I'd probably be doing 10 under trying frantically to read the signs and figure out which way to go while simultaneously trying to avoid getting hit by an SUV.

This is 90% of the people using it. The other 5% are the locals that actually use it more than once every year while driving to the airport and getting pissed the gently caress off at idiots going slow and confused, and the other 5% are people driving "at speed" but having no loving clue what they're doing and do something insane like just turn left at the circle and try to drive straight towards the airport.

I don't think on its own that it's a horrible design it's just:
-The main road to the airport, so used by a lot of tourists and non-locals who all find it super confusing, at least the first times they use it. I know north Americans have to get better at this poo poo, but this roundabout is a bit of a "hard mode" level to throw people onto after a long flight. Poor visibility also makes it more confusing than it seems from the air.
-The traffic volumes here in no way justify such a complex design and there's no development plans on even the farthest of horizons to warrant such over-building.
-The whole thing was entirely political. This intersection was working just fine but a near by one is jammed to gently caress. But this intersection was in a riding that the ruling party won while the other intersection is in the riding of an opposition party.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 4, 2013

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Mythbusters did a segment comparing the flow of a four way stop versus a roundabout configuration. No surprise here, the roundabout wins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvoFjirrgYA

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Apparently, Pittsburgh is planning on rerouting bus lines away from the Golden Triangle. This definitely seems like an unwise decision on the city's part, since it would make their downtown much more difficult to get to via public transportation, but there are probably other reasons that escape me at the moment.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Hedera Helix posted:

Apparently, Pittsburgh is planning on rerouting bus lines away from the Golden Triangle. This definitely seems like an unwise decision on the city's part, since it would make their downtown much more difficult to get to via public transportation, but there are probably other reasons that escape me at the moment.

It sounds like the bus lines are awkwardly routed, with the main turnaround being inefficient. So it's possible that this could be a net positive. But trying to fix congestion by discouraging public transportation usage seems like a pretty bad idea. And the business owners seem a lot more interested in driving away "those people at the bus stations" than anything else.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Speaking of discouraging public transportation, Calcutta (India) recently banned biking on major roads in the name of speeding up traffic.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

mamosodiumku posted:

Speaking of discouraging public transportation, Calcutta (India) recently banned biking on major roads in the name of speeding up traffic.

Oh, nice! It's a good thing that cars take up much less space than bicycles, and are specifically designed for the city's narrow streets. Otherwise, these new laws would be totally counterproductive in their stated goal of reducing traffic congestion. :downsgun:

Hopefully the movement against these laws is successful.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

When a freeway-freeway intersection still has traffic lights, and it's been ready to be converted into a cloverleaf for yearsdecades, but the government is too cheap to actually do it, you know what can happen?

These pictures say enough, I think.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 9, 2013

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Don't fret, with the new A27 project coming up I'm sure they'll find a way to

:staredog:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Carbon dioxide posted:

When a freeway-freeway intersection still has traffic lights, and it's been ready to be converted into a cloverleaf for yearsdecades, but the government is too cheap to actually do it, you know what can happen?

These pictures say enough, I think.

The bigger problem seems to be truckers not paying attention to the road because they are tired or distracted. There are a lot of them driving around in the Netherlands and you often see them driving halfway on the emergency lane. This was probably what killed a road worker two days ago along the A58 (a colleague, although I didn't know him). He had stopped in the emergency lane, presumably for maintenance or inspection, when a truck hit him from behind. We have accidents happen occasionally (a while ago at a subcontractor someone was injured after he drove off the first floor of a new building with a forklift) but I don't recall any other fatalities in the couple of years that I've worked here.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Koesj posted:

What are you doing Netherlands, that is not how you make highway intersections :magical:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Koesj posted:

35% Roadway Review Comments: Make the loop ramps look like testicles

65% Roadway Review Comments: No, one of mine hangs a LOT lower than the other one.

90% Roadway Review Comments: Perfect!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
We woudn't want to do this:

Noooo that would be stupid.

Oh well it's in Brabant so what do I care.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Koesj posted:

That's, uh, interesting. Honestly, it'd probably be cheaper (long-term) and use less space to just shove a stack in there.

Devor posted:

35% Roadway Review Comments: Make the loop ramps look like testicles

65% Roadway Review Comments: No, one of mine hangs a LOT lower than the other one.

90% Roadway Review Comments: Perfect!

Wow, I didn't even notice that. You could probably design an interchange that's a near-perfect copy of the Mona Lisa and I'd just stare at it, trying to figure out what kind of hosed-up local topography is forcing the ramps into such a weird configuration.

Koesj posted:

We woudn't want to do this:

Noooo that would be stupid.

Oh well it's in Brabant so what do I care.

Pfft! Why bother with something logical, safe, and efficient when you can save money in the short term?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's unsafe about those designs?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

What's unsafe about those designs?
Cloverleaf intersections cause weaving, which is among the more dangerous things you can be forced to do while driving.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

GWBBQ posted:

Cloverleaf intersections cause weaving, which is among the more dangerous things you can be forced to do while driving.

Yeah, with the weaving they cause, you could say danger is looming in them! :haw:

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

nielsm posted:

Yeah, with the weaving they cause, you could say danger is looming in them! :haw:
Cloverleafs: a leading cause of both accidents and awful, awful jokes.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The first, economized design I posted has all the attractiveness of skimping on construction costs while keeping the existing safety and capacity issues well alive. The road authority knows this, or at least the engineering firm to whom they contracted this design does, but finance has been tightened quite a bit for medium term projects.

Contrary to what Cichlidae said (I think he was being somewhat facetious), a stack interchange would be way more expensive, especially over the longer term. The trade-off that was made here is based on picking the most economically advantageous design for a ceiling price, with added incentives for a couple of design features (reusing existing bridges, keeping land acquisition costs low, minimizing capacity constraints during construction).

Land acquisition isn't that much of a problem here AFAIK, the dotted lines in the above pic are drainage ditches that probably delineate the original right-of-way reserved for the A27 (N-S) in the early 1960s. Now the proposed design exceeds those limits in the SW and SE corners but that land is not flagged for any development so they can easily buy it off of the owner for a government-set (fair market) price or expropriate it (for the same fair market price) if the owner is stalling.

As an aside, when the N59 mainline was doubled and reflagged as the A59 in the late 80s, they simply kept the existing junction running instead of rebuilding it as planned for, again, cost reasons. Those were the bad old days of road construction here in the Netherlands.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 10, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GWBBQ posted:

So the too-short sections where a single lane is both the acceleration lane for people merging in, and the lane for people leaving?

There's a span like that where I live and I hate it because idiots who are turning off the highway just HAVE to get in their lane asap and everyone merging onto the highway just have to get on ASAP even though it's quite a long stretch so it's just a mess of cars of fairly different speeds zooming on and off the highway.

http://goo.gl/maps/j6Qfu
IS this a bad design? I see a LOT of weaving and lovely driving between these two ramps.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Question: Lifting a bundle of ~40ft rebar sections over live traffic probably violates some kind of health and safety regulations, does it not? I'm not a rigger, but I've been around enough of them to know you never go under a load, but this one was out over three lanes of cars.

It was cool to see, but only because it was over the opposite lanes. :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MrYenko posted:

Question: Lifting a bundle of ~40ft rebar sections over live traffic probably violates some kind of health and safety regulations, does it not? I'm not a rigger, but I've been around enough of them to know you never go under a load, but this one was out over three lanes of cars.

That sounds like something you'd see at the start of a disastrous Russian dash cam video, not somewhere with first world safety regulations.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

http://goo.gl/maps/j6Qfu
IS this a bad design? I see a LOT of weaving and lovely driving between these two ramps.

Well, let's have a little talk about weaving.

If you have any merge followed by a diverge, you're going to have weaving. Since we can't space our ramps infinitely far apart, they're something we deal with everywhere. The real issue is how bad the weave is. The Highway Capacity Manual talks all about how to calculate weaving level of service, but it has its limitations. My most recent VISSIM simulation covers a situation with two such limitations!

1) What happens when you have nested weaving areas?
2) What happens when the weave distance is too long to analyze?

Take a look at the location. We're looking at the eastbound direction. 2 lanes of CT 15 add on to the left side of I-84, followed shortly after by an on-ramp from Roberts Ave on the right. Another mile or so downstream, the left three lanes stay on I-84 and the right two go to I-384. Toss in the left exit to the HOV lane, and you've got a pretty bizarre situation.

East Hartford wants to make it even more bizarre by adding an off-ramp from the right side of I-84 EB to Forbes Street, ostensibly to attract development to a nearby commercial site. Ignoring other reasons this might be a good or bad idea, when you look at it from an operational point of view... well, the on-ramp from Roberts will be extended as an auxiliary lane to the new off-ramp, so you're not technically reducing capacity, right?

Let's have a look at what my analysis uncovered.

(Man, I love making these diagrams!)

There's some interaction between the weaving areas here that the HCM methods wouldn't pick up. The critical bottleneck doesn't occur before the new off-ramp, but after it, which might seem paradoxical! Essentially, though, you can think of it as two competing weaving areas. With all those people changing lanes to get to the new off-ramp, cars that would have changed lanes earlier now have to wait until the 84/384 split is almost upon them to shift over. It's not a monumental change, but it's perceptible, to be sure: a 12mph average reduction in speed.

MrYenko posted:

Yeah, no, we don't do that. If OSHA found out, they'd... well, they wouldn't do anything, because they're on indefinite furlough, so that might explain the situation.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Baronjutter posted:

That sounds like something you'd see at the start of a disastrous Russian dash cam video, not somewhere with first world safety regulations.

Miami, so the first idea is probably more accurate than the second.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Is there a rule for the distance from the exit those fat markings (elephant tracks?) should start being placed when a lane becomes an exit only lane?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

mamosodiumku posted:

Is there a rule for the distance from the exit those fat markings (elephant tracks?) should start being placed when a lane becomes an exit only lane?

1/2 mile if it's an isolated lane drop, up to 2 miles if it's an auxiliary lane.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

Miami, so the first idea is probably more accurate than the second.

The 826/836 shitfest of construction? One of the many reasons I rarely leave the Grove.

Alakantar
Apr 8, 2009
I've been reading this thread for the past several months (it's been fascinating!), and I've got two questions. I was driving through Maryland several weeks ago on MD 5/235 and saw several of these strange intersections: http://goo.gl/maps/fM7r8

What is this intersection called and why would it be made this way, instead of making a 3-way stop with traffic signals?

I did find another one of the same sort but with stop signs instead: http://goo.gl/maps/hLqv2

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater

Alakantar posted:

I've been reading this thread for the past several months (it's been fascinating!), and I've got two questions. I was driving through Maryland several weeks ago on MD 5/235 and saw several of these strange intersections: http://goo.gl/maps/fM7r8

What is this intersection called and why would it be made this way, instead of making a 3-way stop with traffic signals?

I did find another one of the same sort but with stop signs instead: http://goo.gl/maps/hLqv2

It's called a Seagull in Australia where it is most popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Alakantar posted:

Three Notch Road seems to be larger/more important. If that was in Europe, Point Lookout Road would probably have had a yield sign towards Three Notch Road, and Three Notch Road no controlling signs apart from notices that there is a side road. The turn lanes would have been removed, except for turning southwards coming from east (left turn from the larger road.)
It lets the traffic on the larger road glide instead of forcing everyone to stop because of a side road that might not receive a tenth the traffic.
(I'm basing this guess on the number of lanes on each road.)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 11, 2013