Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Red posted:

If that was true, they could never show Khali walking or moving.

So just like a normal Raw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

bradzilla posted:

Not likely. Khali is WWE's primary source of ratings in India. I heard they will even edit Raw to make him look like a serious character.

I'm not certain but I think they do something similar with Del Rio for Mexico (or did while he was face). I was at a Mexican restaurant a few months back and they had the Spanish station on, and they were showing heavily edited Del Rio match in between some other lucha.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm not certain but I think they do something similar with Del Rio for Mexico (or did while he was face). I was at a Mexican restaurant a few months back and they had the Spanish station on, and they were showing heavily edited Del Rio match in between some other lucha.

I can't wait for them to start doing this with the UK Raws next.

"In tonight's main event, Wade Barrett will take on the Miz! Drew McIntyre leads the Three Man Band in six-man action! Layla will also be in action! And we'll also see the Shield, Daniel Bryan, and John Cena as well!" :v:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I guess the Jamaican Ghanan market is pretty hot with the amount of Kofi we're getting lately.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I guess the Jamaican Ghanan market is pretty hot with the amount of Kofi we're getting lately.

That has to be better than Guyana, where they just rerun the same 6 or 7 Ezekiel Jackson matches.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Red posted:

That has to be better than Guyana, where they just rerun the same 6 or 7 Ezekiel Jackson matches.

What do you call a man getting bodyslammed forever?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A Blade Runners match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jeffersonlives posted:

They thought it would be a funny rib to stick an "Irish leprechaun" with Finlay and he was the midget wrestler they hired for that. He can sort of work in that he can take basic bumps and do a couple of moves. There's no point to him and hasn't been for years; he hasn't been a merchandise mover since his association with DX. He's probably only still on the roster because WWE Films has designs on building a movie franchise around him.

From what I remember, the whole thing was supposedly a rib on Finlay that backfired. Somebody in back (Johnny Ace?) was convinced that Finlay was past it but agreed to let him become an active wrestler again so he could fail and prove them right. Except Finlay was doing pretty drat well for himself, so they saddled him with a leprechaun.... and Finlay actually incorporated it amazingly well into his character first as a heel and later as a face.

Don't get me wrong, Hornswoggle ("that little bastard" at the time) was a terrible idea, but Finlay basically used him as an attack dog, being abusive towards him, using him to distract opponents and then kicking him back under the ring etc - it worked quite well against all reason and sense. When he turned face, he wasn't so much being kind to Hornswoggle as he was getting pissed at other people for abusing HIS "little bastard", and it lead into a really fantastically built feud with JBL that unfortunately didn't live up to its build. Hornswoggle basically went his own way after that and became an increasingly annoying character to me.

Basically what I'm saying is that Fit Finlay is amazing.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Valeyard posted:

Every time I hear that I would like to see the India edit but it never happens, I cannot picture this actually being real

I can believe they may do some minor stuff, like move around where he is on the show or play with crowd noise, but plenty of Indians were fans of pro wrestling well before Khali came along. I expect it's more a nod than a re-working of the show (I've been wrong before tho).

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I missed the Hornswaggle boat as well. I hadn't watched wrestling in 7-8 years, but I somehow picked up via cultural osmosis that WWE had an Irish wrestler with a leprechaun who would come out from under the ring with a shillelagh.

When I started watching again this year I was tremendously disappointed by the first Sheamus match I watched.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Rarity posted:

What do you call a man getting bodyslammed forever?

Hulk Hogan's memories

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Jerusalem posted:

From what I remember, the whole thing was supposedly a rib on Finlay that backfired. Somebody in back (Johnny Ace?) was convinced that Finlay was past it but agreed to let him become an active wrestler again so he could fail and prove them right. Except Finlay was doing pretty drat well for himself, so they saddled him with a leprechaun.... and Finlay actually incorporated it amazingly well into his character first as a heel and later as a face.
Finlay did a KC shoot when he got briefly released a few years ago, and he said he actually had the idea to bring in a leprachaun in WCW, but Bischoff said no way. So when Vince ran the idea by him, he loved it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cromulent posted:

Finlay did a KC shoot when he got briefly released a few years ago, and he said he actually had the idea to bring in a leprachaun in WCW, but Bischoff said no way. So when Vince ran the idea by him, he loved it.

Well poo poo, shows what I know.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

While I know Horny isn't much use to a fan over the age of ten, I just haven't been able to hate on the guy since his appearance on Colts podcast. Seriously give it a listen, the little dude has had an incredibly hosed up life. Not a reason to keep him on the roster in and of itself, but he does appeal to kids.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I have no problem with Hornswoggle. It's loving wrestling, a form of entertainment, so it's ok to be goofy at times.

Not exactly someone I'd want to show friends my age if I'm trying to get them excited about wrestling, but he's ok in my book.

Question: Were fake Razor Ramon and fake Diesel passed off as legitimately Razor and Diesel, or were they actually called "fake" so and so and not to be taken seriously?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

crankdatbatman posted:

I have no problem with Hornswoggle. It's loving wrestling, a form of entertainment, so it's ok to be goofy at times.

He's not funny though.

And unlike El Torito he can't actually wrestle.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Jerusalem posted:

Nothing to fret over.

Your previous statement...

Jerusalem posted:

Basically what I'm saying is that Fit Finlay is amazing.

... is still true.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I remember reading back when he was doing the "Hide under the ring and help Finlay" thing, a guy wrote a spoiler report where he talked about seeing Lillian get some snacks and drinks out to Hornswoggle so being under the ring was a little easier.

I realize that minis/little people will never get proper respect, but it's nice to see that the treatment of little people in wrestling has gotten a little better.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I remember reading back when he was doing the "Hide under the ring and help Finlay" thing, a guy wrote a spoiler report where he talked about seeing Lillian get some snacks and drinks out to Hornswoggle so being under the ring was a little easier.

I realize that minis/little people will never get proper respect, but it's nice to see that the treatment of little people in wrestling has gotten a little better.

"You said you would give me snacks and beverages for being under the ring all night!"

I said there MIGHT be snacks and beverages.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

crankdatbatman posted:

I didn't see Hornswoggle in his heyday; I think the problem is that he doesn't do anything funny. He comes out, they say "Hey look, Hornswoggle!" and the fact that he's there is supposed to be funny.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

He's supposed to be funny/amusing to children. If you don't him funny, congratulations Poindexter, you're age 11 or above.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Halloween Jack posted:

I didn't see Hornswoggle in his heyday; I think the problem is that he doesn't do anything funny. He comes out, they say "Hey look, Hornswoggle!" and the fact that he's there is supposed to be funny.

Him throwing JBL a Guinness was loving awesome at least.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Edit: Wrong thread.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Finlay throwing him at opponents was awesome and hilarious, though.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Maybe they just want to keep him on the payroll as a nice gesture then? I don't know.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

The story you told is also what I heard around the time it happened, so it's entirely possible Fit was just being diplomatic. Or Ace thought he'd hate the idea, not realizing he'd pitched a similar one years ago.

But I definitely heard Ace (or maybe it was Dunn) wanted to use it to bury him, but as you said, Fit Finaly's amazing. I mean... his name is Finlay. And he loves to fight.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
EDIT: ^^^ Yep.

Jerusalem posted:

Not necessarily.

Jerusalem posted:

Cromulent posted:

These two stories aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. The fact that Finlay had the idea of a leprechaun before and that Vince was the one who presented it to him doesn't necessarily mean that Johnny Ace didn't come up with the idea and suggest it to Vince as a means of embarrassing Finlay.

In any event, that's speculation. But what isn't is

Jerusalem posted:

that Fit Finlay is amazing.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 10, 2013

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

Maybe they just want to keep him on the payroll as a nice gesture then? I don't know.

Well assuming the Leprechaun movie isn't a complete money loser (it'll probably do fine on VOD) that's more of a revenue source than guys like JTG.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

crankdatbatman posted:

Question: Were fake Razor Ramon and fake Diesel passed off as legitimately Razor and Diesel, or were they actually called "fake" so and so and not to be taken seriously?

Even though the angle itself was really stupid, this was a really smart move on Vince's part. It allowed the WWF to sue WCW over trying to use WWF's copyrighted characters. Part of a suit like that hinges on the fact that the original company is still using those copyrights which, however stupid, they were.

I'm not a lawyer or anything, but that's my understanding of it.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Rodney the Piper posted:

Finlay throwing him at opponents was awesome and hilarious, though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What annoys me about Hornswoggle is when they equate his size to him being a child. I think during that DX angle with him, they even pointed that out. They don't do it as much anymore, but I imagine Vince's mentality is basically "He's like a child you're allowed to beat up!" :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

What annoys me about Hornswoggle is when they equate his size to him being a child. I think during that DX angle with him, they even pointed that out. They don't do it as much anymore, but I imagine Vince's mentality is basically "He's like a child you're allowed to beat up!" :haw:

The thing that bothers me about Hornswoggle is how frequently they used to have him sexually harass women who would make it clear they wanted no part of him, and he'd persist till they slapped him or said something mean to him and crowd would be all,"Awwwwwwwwwww poor little guy" about it.

I know he's a big wrestling fan and it is cool that he gets to be part of the WWE, and I always enjoyed seeing him interacting with kids in the ring and stuff, but the "he should be allowed to sexually harass people and get away with because he's small" always rubbed me the wrong way.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
Was Rob Van Dam ever a heel in the WWE? I know he was part of the Alliance during the Invasion but even then, he acted like a face and was cheered on by fans.

I'd like RVD to become a Paul Heyman guy and feud with Punk but the worry is the crowd may side with him since he's forever over.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

budreck posted:

Was Rob Van Dam ever a heel in the WWE? I know he was part of the Alliance during the Invasion but even then, he acted like a face and was cheered on by fans.

I'd like RVD to become a Paul Heyman guy and feud with Punk but the worry is the crowd may side with him since he's forever over.

Not a legit heel, no.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Halloween Jack posted:

He did more than that for a while. For example, one time he escaped Carlito by painting a tunnel on a wall and running through it, and when Carlito tried to run through it it wasn't a real tunnel, it was paint on a wall!

Proof that I'm not insane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEzSD1JcZk

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

crankdatbatman posted:

The only footage I remember is from the one Rumble that fake Diesel participated in, and they played it completely straight.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I vaguely remember a weird promo from JR to the effect of "What, you were expecting Nash and Hall? These are two highly talented athletes. Their gimmick doesn't matter. gently caress you."

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

budreck posted:

Wasn't he supposed to be a heel when he was dual champion?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
John Cena played the heel in that feud without actually turning heel. It was kind of similar to his feud with Punk in 2011. WWE knew there was no way Cena wasn't getting booed out of the building at One Night Stand 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

crankdatbatman posted:

The gimmick was that Jim Ross was angry at Vince McMahon, and had hired two guys to play the roles of Razor and Diesel as a stab at Vince, and a constant reminder that he'd failed to keep them around.

He wasn't actually called "Fake Razor" in on-screen graphics or anything, but the monet he debuted, the commentators were eager to point that it was a farce, and an attempt by JR to embarass Vince.