Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bolind posted:

How do you even ensure that the wheel is centered? It better be hub-centric.

Did it come as a kit, and then you chose your offset by welding the center piece afterwards? I don't even...

It can't be hubcentric, because there is a little layer of tin that's not even tight.(the front hubcap/spoke holder) that hammers in from the back) around the hub.

The wheel is centered by the idea that all 5 spacers on the lugs will be pointing the same way. with all 5 pointing towards center on a 5 on 5 lug, all 5 pointing towards the outside on 5 on 4 lug, and everything in between. I would think in the current set-up, all tortional force would want to twist the original lug.

Vigo327 posted:

Wait.. You're saying there is a cylinder thing in the middle of the wheel and you weld the wheel to that at the flange, and THAT is what tightens against the hub while the back of the wheel flange just hangs out in open air? That's insane. I actually didn't think this wheel idea was that bad until i read that, but i'm still not sure i'm reading it right.

It's built similar to a modern wheel, but it doesn't look like it is heat shrunk on or anything, there is a noticable gap between the rim and the center

That would mean if you're turning hard, all the weight of the car is on 5 stitch welds.

I'll try to get a video later today, the tire was completely flat, and the car was still dead level, i jacked it on the axle, and jacking it high enough into the air to where it would have sat with the inflated wheel, the body of the car didn't move, the suspension just compressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That may just be the chamfer on the wheel center you're seeing. And I wouldn't be surprised if that's factory welding, too.

The lug thing is still sketchy as gently caress.

ajcz
Aug 27, 2009
Wrong, the only song for that car has gotta be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R7l7nDuj1o

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And i just did this 5 minutes ago in the BMW.

HAVE PITTY ON ME, TIRE GODS. WHAT HAVE I DONE TO ANGER YOU?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hit something, or did it blow out from running low? I can see a bit of the telltale discoloration on the sidewall, but that can happen after the tire goes flat if you drive on it long enough.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Hit something, or did it blow out from running low? I can see a bit of the telltale discoloration on the sidewall, but that can happen after the tire goes flat if you drive on it long enough.

blew out hitting a lip on road construction. drove it maybe half a km home, very slowly.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

This is the derpiest car part I have ever seen.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Friend's boyfriend wanted me to take a look at a bike that he crashed... he expected to need a rear wheel, front wheel, and oil pressure switch. I took a look at it last night then added forks and a set of triple clamps to that list. I rode it today and immediately noticed a knocking under braking - the usual type you get from bad headtube bearings.

Welp, add a frame to the list since the headtube is ovalized. lovely luck.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Instead of a frame is there anything that can be done with replacement bearing races or oversized drill and press-in inserts?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That is what I'm going to look into tomorrow. I'm just worried that the frame neck is tweaked too. GMD Computrack measures frames but I don't know who can here in Arizona.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Fuuuuuck. I guess it's moot, but teachers at MMI mentioned you should look for cracked paint around the steering neck on crashed bikes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's what I did initially and there is no rippled, miscolored, or cracked paint. There is a dent where the steering stop on the triple went into the frame, but it's no worse than I've seen on many ex-trackbikes that were straight. Oh well, unlucky I guess.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Powershift posted:

And i just did this 5 minutes ago in the BMW.

HAVE PITTY ON ME, TIRE GODS. WHAT HAVE I DONE TO ANGER YOU?

Had one of those on a BMW 3 series the other day. The owner couldn't understand why a wheel alignment wouldn't stop his vibration. :doh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's pretty scary to look at :stare:

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

RapeWhistle posted:

Just curious, did it have a modified ECU tune?

It didn't have a tune to my knowledge. Car came in for just an oil change. I did the oil change, and I noticed one of the coolant hoses to the supercharger leaking, so I replaced that while I was at it, test drove it, and then shipped the car.

The guy took delivery and then a few hours later said while he was on the highway the CEL came on and the car started running rough.

Swapped coils and plugs, misfire was still on cylinder 2, compression and leakdown were good. Put a fuel injector in it, still misfiring on cylinder 2. Removed valve cover and found cylinder 2 exhaust valve spring broken.

What was weird was that it didn't really misfire at idle or while crusing, it would only misfire really bad on decel after going WOT.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Brain Issues posted:

2. Removed valve cover and found cylinder 2 exhaust valve spring broken.

So the question here is where do you work (dealer or indy) and how did you replace it (head off or rope/air/head off)?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Motronic posted:

So the question here is where do you work (dealer or indy) and how did you replace it (head off or rope/air/head off)?

I work at an Audi dealer. I replaced it with the head still on the car.

Removed rear timing cover, high pressure fuel pump&pump housing, removed timing chain and camshafts, pressurized the cylinder with a leak-down tester (so the valve doesn't drop into the cylinder), compressed valve spring and removed keepers, replaced valve spring, compressed new spring and reinstalled keepers and then reinstalled everything else and re-timed the engine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Brain Issues posted:

I work at an Audi dealer. I replaced it with the head still on the car.

Removed rear timing cover, high pressure fuel pump&pump housing, removed timing chain and camshafts, pressurized the cylinder with a leak-down tester (so the valve doesn't drop into the cylinder), compressed valve spring and removed keepers, replaced valve spring, compressed new spring and reinstalled keepers and then reinstalled everything else and re-timed the engine.

Awesome. I didn't know that was an accepted procedure at a dealership. Glad you are trusted to do it one of the "right" ways.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Motronic posted:

Awesome. I didn't know that was an accepted procedure at a dealership. Glad you are trusted to do it one of the "right" ways.

The official procedure calls for it to be done with the head on. I did everything by the book except that I didn't have the special tools for compressing the valve spring or the "official" adapter to pressurize the cylinder, but a leak down tester worked fine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Brain Issues posted:

I didn't have the special tools for compressing the valve spring

I haven't tried to do one of these so I have to ask.....was using a standard spring compressor really any different than what the magical special tool was supposed to do? That didn't look like some kind of hellish dual spring like I deal with on 944s (unless you didn't show the inner spring) so what exactly is the special tool supposed to do for you?

Edit: If you can't already tell, I'm pretty anti special tool. There are some that really are necessary, but my last "special tool" substitution was a rear main seal pusher which consisted of a cut up plastic milk container as a seal pusher. Or was it the two pieces of flat steel with a bolt between them as a pivot and holes drilled to stick drill bits through as a crank holder?

I get it.....this isn't worth your time in a dealership where you are (supposedly) using these things on a regular basis. But.....really...some of these tools are ridiculous to the point of "spends 60 seconds grinding a $5 harbor freight wrench in this dimension and you're good".

Motronic fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 8, 2013

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Motronic posted:

I haven't tried to do one of these so I have to ask.....was using a standard spring compressor really any different than what the magical special tool was supposed to do? That didn't look like some kind of hellish dual spring like I deal with on 944s (unless you didn't show the inner spring) so what exactly is the special tool supposed to do for you?
I'm not even exactly sure because I've never used the special tool spring compressor and neither has anyone at our shop. It's not on Audi's list of required tools to have, so our shop doesn't have it.

To be honest though, most of the Audi special tools that I have used have been well thought out and work very well, so this is probably no exception.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'm pretty sure the special tool is a lever that screws into the head somewhere and has a circular thingy to push down on the top of the spring.
I took a 3.0 head apart at school once and aside from the crazy jig that they had to hold the head that's what pops into mind. It was a few years ago so I might be describing it somewhat incorrectly.

VAG special tools are pretty good in general IMO. Especially ones like the drive belt tensioner tool for the old 3.0. Without that tool, changing a drive belt would be somewhere between a giant pain in the rear end to impossible. With it it's a few minute job.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 8, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I still feel kinda bad for laughing at this when I opened up Wired this morning:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I normally hates memes, but this just seems so appropriate.

Those dog seat belts look like they'll just shatter a few ribs for Fido before they rip anyway. :ohdear:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hooray for VW radiators!

This was a mazda 3 with about 2,000km on it. No other visible damage or crash damage, can't explain it.

And this got dragged in on a truck this afternoon. We thought it was for the wholesaler next door so we signed for it. Then he showed up and tells us it's not his/for him. So now we have a crashed e60 and no idea who it's for or why it was brought to us with our new cars :iiam:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Well, if you never figure out whose crashed BMW that is, I'm sure you can make some money on the side parting it out. Is it just that side?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Find an E30 and do the needful. :getin:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Had a big meet up at the Tail of the Dragon this last weekend. A Turbo Veloster hit a rock or something in the road in the afternoon, heard a loud BANG, and then the familiar thump of a flat. They got the wheel off, and noticed a massive crack in the center of the barrel on the inside :stare: Turbo Velosters come with a can of fix-a-flat... not gonna help with this.

The tire had zero damage.

Edit: added another pic. VVVV the wheel was fine besides the massive fracture. They had to wait 5 hours for a spare that would fit, and drove all over Tenn. to get a replacement wheel that Sunday.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 9, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Carteret posted:

Had a big meet up at the Tail of the Dragon this last weekend. A Turbo Veloster hit a rock or something in the road in the afternoon, heard a loud BANG, and then the familiar thump of a flat. They got the tire off, and noticed a massive crack in the center of the barrel on the inside :stare: Turbo Velosters come with a can of fix-a-flat... not gonna help with this.

The tire had zero damage.

Perhaps if the can were cut open and glued to the hole...

That crack looks like it opened up a bit. Was the rest of the wheel noticeably warped?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

General_Failure posted:

Perhaps if the can were cut open and glued to the hole...

That crack looks like it opened up a bit. Was the rest of the wheel noticeably warped?

Surprised they didn't just weld it shut, re-balance it at any tire place and drive it home.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

CarForumPoster posted:

Surprised they didn't just weld it shut, re-balance it at any tire place and drive it home.

I don't think you can just weld an aluminum alloy rim on your own and then have it be fine unless you know info about the alloy and specifically how to weld aluminum.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Bang Me Please posted:

I don't think you can just weld an aluminum alloy rim on your own and then have it be fine unless you know info about the alloy and specifically how to weld aluminum.

that or trust any tire shop to weld anything

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Bang Me Please posted:

If you have an AC TIG welder just layin' around chances are you know how to weld aluminum. I meant take it to a welding shop in TN though. Aluminum wheels are cast usually high silicon alloy so they'll flow well making welding this a bit easier.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Well, if you never figure out whose crashed BMW that is, I'm sure you can make some money on the side parting it out. Is it just that side?

It's that side yeah. All the bags deployed on that side alone. It's a Japanese import so rest assured I've already stolen the emergency flare. Not sure what to do with it though!

My boss has an e36 shell so that's where the engine would go :getin:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Slavvy posted:

My boss has an e36 shell so that's where the engine would go :getin:

Truly a sign from the automotive gods. Get on it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"Whoops"

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'm guessing those piles underneath are rust from what used to be the frame?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
TuRD indeed. Although the owner probably won't see it so, it's better on the hoist than on the road that it happened.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Motronic posted:

Somewhat similar to mine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=87e1d0d5-d392-48c9-969b-ca0ea4bbd554