Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011

Tears In A Vial posted:

Smoke on the Water is about a recording studio burning down?

:eng101: A hotel burning down.
Although there is a recording studio in the song too, it just doesn't burn down. I'm not sure where the drug idea came from though, unless the guy just heard the word smoke and assumed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Sears Poncho posted:

Although there is a recording studio in the song too, it just doesn't burn down. I'm not sure where the drug idea came from though, unless the guy just heard the word smoke and assumed.

Whoops, my bad. Yeah you're right. I'm not a big Deep Purple guy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Alvin and the Chipmunks did a cover of Third Eye Blind's Semi-Charmed Life, a fun song about loving and crystal meth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps03G7WUTXY

They at least changed the lyrics. :v:
Edit: some of the lyrics, I think they still sing "I'm packed and I'm holding," "Chop another line like a coda with a curse," "I bump for the drop And then I bumped up, I took the hit that I was given" and other lines that refer to drug taking.

Disney used the same song for the tv commercials for The Tigger Movie last summer and it amused me.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sears Poncho posted:

It's heavily associated with weed culture just by virtue of a lot of stoners listening to it and has the word smoke in it, so yeah.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
The point was, it doesn't matter what the song is 'about'. If it has a beat, dance to it. People get way too stuck up about music.

e: and to a 16 year old nerd, it's totally about weed, and drugs are bad.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Len posted:

Disney used the same song for the tv commercials for The Tigger Movie last summer and it amused me.

There's a real estate company (or manufactured housing... can't recall which) in Japan that used "House of the Rising Sun" as the lyrical touch to all their commercials. Complete with "it has been the ruin of many a poor boy." Not really listening to the song, I think.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

A bank here used Bittersweet Symphony ("trying to make ends meet, you're a slave to the money, then you die"), but only the violin track, not the vocals.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

JDM3 posted:

I didn't stand on my chair and give a speech about the goddamned wings, I calmly mentioned that given the context (spicy wings, blue cheese and celery) I expected the extremely common thing that is referred to as buffalo wings or hot wings. Then the waitress picked the most irrelevant aspect of my comment (note: comment, not tirade) to relate to the cook or whoever.

Edit: As to complaining about what was actually on the menu, it reminds me of the time I went to BWW and stood on my chair to complain about the wings not being from actual buffaloes. Then I took off my fedora and bowed while the whole restaurant clapped and gave me high fives.

Still goons.txt.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I am OK posted:

Still goons.txt.
Yeah, JDM3, you spergbombed a waitress about goddamn chicken wings. Own it.

Effingham posted:

There's a real estate company (or manufactured housing... can't recall which) in Japan that used "House of the Rising Sun" as the lyrical touch to all their commercials. Complete with "it has been the ruin of many a poor boy." Not really listening to the song, I think.
Oh, there have been worse. Years back, a commercial for the Nissan X-Terra used The Velvet Underground's Heroin. More than a couple of have used Lust for Life. My all-time favorite, though, was VW using Psychic TV's Roman P., a cheerful little tune about Roman Polanski's wife dying, then him cornholing a drugged 12-year-old.

I like to think that someone did this on purpose. And that he's still out there somewhere, watching and biding his time until he can sneak a song about masturbation into an commercial for instant mashed potatoes.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It really depends on how he said it I guess? If I order something and it turns out to be not what I expected I'll eat it because I've worked food service before and hated every customer but "spicy chicken wings" are loving buffalo wings, sorry if you're retarded.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

The Schwa posted:

A bank here used Bittersweet Symphony ("trying to make ends meet, you're a slave to the money, then you die"), but only the violin track, not the vocals.

There's a strip club in the city that has speakers at the entrance playing a songlist on loop 24/7 and one of the songs is Bittersweet Symphony. There's something profound about walking past a closed strip club at 7:00am on the way to work and hearing that song playing up from the shuttered doorway.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Frostwerks posted:

but "spicy chicken wings" are loving buffalo wings, sorry if you're retarded.

So, how would you actually list the food that was served in this case on a menu? Because from what JDM3 said, the menu literally described the food. If you see a menu item that is a literal description of a food item and you order it and are surprised that it is exactly what the menu said, you are the retard.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

So, how would you actually list the food that was served in this case on a menu? Because from what JDM3 said, the menu literally described the food. If you see a menu item that is a literal description of a food item and you order it and are surprised that it is exactly what the menu said, you are the retard.

If they were selling buffalo wings maybe the menu would have said loving buffalo wings

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Trent posted:

If they were selling buffalo wings maybe the menu would have said loving buffalo wings

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. They weren't serving Buffalo wings, so the menu didn't say that, it gave a description of the food that they actually were selling. :confused:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've never heard of wings being served cut into pieces. That would remove like two thirds of the fun.

Although now I'm back to being confused about the existence of wings that are non-Buffalo wings.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I've never heard of wings being served cut into pieces. That would remove like two thirds of the fun.

Although now I'm back to being confused about the existence of wings that are non-Buffalo wings.

Really? You've never seen wings like this?

That's pretty much the "default."

When the wing and drumette are still attached, it's messier, and more annoying to eat. I think they're just the right amount of work the normal way.

As for "non Buffalo" style wings:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
There is also something to be said for people making some kind of smoke and bong water connection. Make The Water Turn Black.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. They weren't serving Buffalo wings, so the menu didn't say that, it gave a description of the food that they actually were selling. :confused:

No, they didn't. They were wings. Yes? Yes. They were spiced, were they not? Yes, they were. They were not, and were not described as, "wings in BUFFALO SAUCE." Spiced fried chicken *is* a thing. Paprika and other stuff in the seasonings.

The menu said EXACTLY what was offered. YOU just expected something different.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Celery Face posted:

Kidz Bop covered Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand. :psyduck:

Stephen Hillenburg didn't write any Spongebob episodes after the movie came out. Explains the drop in quality.

I can top that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLwtbqU-dgs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSroGlkmXQE

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Effingham posted:

No, they didn't. They were wings. Yes? Yes. They were spiced, were they not? Yes, they were. They were not, and were not described as, "wings in BUFFALO SAUCE." Spiced fried chicken *is* a thing. Paprika and other stuff in the seasonings.

You're all leaving out the critical accompaniment that made me think "Oh, this must be Buffalo Wings (faint unthought undercurrent = perhaps that's trademarked so they HAVE to say it this way)" - served with BLUE CHEESE and CELERY. :colbert:

Also, if "commenting/mild complaint to the waitress" = "spergbombing" then it is clear that 50% of Americans have Aspergers.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

SpookyLizard posted:

There is also something to be said for people making some kind of smoke and bong water connection. Make The Water Turn Black.

Let's Make the Water Turn Black is a reference to making alcohol out of raisins.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
This argument is the worst. I'm pretty sure you are all actually agreeing with each other but you're so worked up over this thing that you can't even see it.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Does anyone think that these are enjoyable to listen to? Really?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Inspector 34 posted:

This argument is the worst. I'm pretty sure you are all actually agreeing with each other but you're so worked up over this thing that you can't even see it.
Except for me, because of that whole retarded thing I just learned about.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Rurea posted:

Does anyone think that these are enjoyable to listen to? Really?
I feel bad for the kids who have to listen to this poo poo because of their crazy parents.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

Len posted:

I can't believe they're still using that damned song in the ads for the Tigger Movie. They used that song in the original trailer 13 years ago. You'd think word would have gotten back to Disney by now regarding what the song is about.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Effingham posted:

You are saying exactly what I'm saying and have me confused with JDM3.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Mr. Beefhead posted:

I can't believe they're still using that damned song in the ads for the Tigger Movie. They used that song in the original trailer 13 years ago. You'd think word would have gotten back to Disney by now regarding what the song is about.

Tigger is completely tweaking on meth.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

AlbieQuirky posted:

But the most wonderful thing about that is that he's the only one.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I had no idea that Tupac Shakur acted in several movies. I caught part of Gridlock'd today, he was pretty good.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Tweaking's what Tigger's do best!

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
Kate Micucci - you know,

her

was in Scrubs at one point:

playing a character called Stephanie Gooch

Gooch

Micucci

M'Coochie

Gooch

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Holy poo poo I hadn't made that connection before. She and her stupid ukelele were so cute.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Kate Micucci - you know,

her

She's also half of Garfunkel and Oates, and both halves have been on The Big Bang Theory, separately.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Centripetal Horse posted:

She's also half of Garfunkel and Oates, and both halves have been on The Big Bang Theory, separately.

They were also together on an episode of Wil Wheaton's TableTop, which is a fantastic show that I just found out existed two days ago. I thought I recognized her from Scrubs, but I wasn't positive.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
She's also in several episodes of Raising Hope, often with her ukelele. She has a fantastic song at the start of season 2 to catch up the audience on what happened in season 1.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

I figured out yesterday that Lionel Richie was in the Commodores.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Wonka Bars were discontinued in 2010 :(

I was wondering why I hadn't seen any in stores lately, and learned this horribly depressing fact.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Edminster posted:

Wonka Bars were discontinued in 2010 :(

I was wondering why I hadn't seen any in stores lately, and learned this horribly depressing fact.

You can still get them in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Jedit posted:

You can still get them in the UK.

I'm pretty sure they're still available in Australia too.

• Locked thread