Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What do you do when you're up by 300+ tickets and the boat spawns at D?

You try to push it into the sea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6rdgKJ2gAs

This is amazing

Alehkhs posted:

Here's a pretty drat great video of the current damage model for tanks in the beta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjp-nk-RkcM
This is really useful, thanks

PittTheElder posted:

http://bf4central.com/2013/09/battlefield-4-field-upgrades-revealed/

As it happens, absolutely none of them make your weapons do more damage.
As is this. The field upgrades and that flashing FIELD UPGRADES LOST message now finally make sense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Not so fussed on Obliteration so far. It seems very right-place-at-the-right-time to really keep up. Our map had a good enemy squad picking up the bomb with a helo and dropping it off. We were for the most part at C trying to capture the bomb and couldn't make it to the base in time. I know there is a defensive element to the game mode but you'd really need a server full of good active squads to make the best of it. I should probably play engi with an RPG in this mode huh?

root of all eval fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 10, 2013

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Cardboard Box A posted:

I was hoping that the boat would make it in the ocean and get re-united with his boat family :smith:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The boat with the anti-air missiles (why is it called 'passive radar?') is unstoppable. I just went on a 40-1 tear. You just need to freak out and run the gently caress away from any tank you see, as they are death.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

This emblem has made a couple of people mad already. Its not even that great.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Wow I managed to get into the mobile AA finally, it is like the pre-nerf BF3 AA on steroids. :stare:

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I don't know where all of the hate for the U-100 is coming from. I really enjoy using it and it leads me to my best games. The Type 88 is nice for the monster magazine but it just doesn't seem to drop people like the U-100 does.

I always stayed away from the support class in BF2, BC2, and BF3 but in 4 it's fast becoming my favorite class to play.

Soarer fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 10, 2013

Heatin My Harbl
Sep 21, 2006
i'm on ur radiatorz

fivegears4reverse posted:

Forever, some goons are actually not much better than pubbies in this regard.

"MY COMPUTER FROM FIVE YEARS AGO CAN RUN BF3 MAXED OUT AT 1080p (lie) AND I ONLY SPENT $150 DOLLARS ON IT TOTAL (lie) SO OBVIOUSLY IT CAN'T BE MY MACHINE OR THE FACT THAT IT'S A BETA (mentioned repeatedly in the thread and explained what that means, obviously never read those posts), SO CLEARLY :dice: :dice: :dice:"

I can't help but think that most, if not all, of this post is directed or at least taken from what I asked yesterday about my old processor. I didn't blame DICE once, I simply asked if anyone was able to even load a map on a C2D. When all I got back was "you need to upgrade" I just made a point that it ran BF3 fine, and let's all be honest, it doesn't look THAT much better graphically that it would cause the game to literally not even load.

I know it's a beta, I know that even if it did end up loading, it would probably run like poo poo. Quit being such a douche.

And the people who are skeptical about it running better at launch are absolutely justified in being just that. It takes the same amount of faith/skepticism to assume that the game will either be fixed, or not fixed after launch since DICE ISN'T giving us builds that are up-to-date.

Considering there probably WONT be a demo to check to see if the problems are fixed after launch, the only other situations where a customer would KNOW that the game will run properly for them, and whether or not they should keep their pre-order, would be for DICE to release a patch for the beta in the next week (which is what people in the thread are calling for) that fixes it, or to pirate the game after launch (no one wants that to happen).

So, I don't get what the point is in getting mad at goons that are asking questions, sharing their issues/complaints. It's a rough situation, and everyone here wants the game to succeed and make a lot of money.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

Glad to see the Free Willy Landboat saga was recorded. I'm pretty sure that's also the game where I sniped a full speed jetski with the tank cannon at about 100 yards. :D

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

What's up with the first shotgun you unlock? Is this some semiautomatic poo poo? I am furious.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Mr.Citrus posted:

This emblem has made a couple of people mad already. Its not even that great.

Uh I think it's pretty great.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Has anyone had any luck working with the first DMR you unlock? It feels like it has roughly the SKS's damage, with none of the stability or accuracy. Right now I'm more effective at all ranges with...almost every other weapon but I just miss the feel of a good medium to long range semi auto.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Heatin My Harbl posted:

I can't help but think that most, if not all, of this post is directed or at least taken from what I asked yesterday about my old processor. I didn't blame DICE once, I simply asked if anyone was able to even load a map on a C2D. When all I got back was "you need to upgrade" I just made a point that it ran BF3 fine, and let's all be honest, it doesn't look THAT much better graphically that it would cause the game to literally not even load.

It was a kinda silly post but I didn't really remember it until you mentioned it again just now. You more or less explained that your computer as is struggles to run BF3, on a 48 player server (not even the full 64 players, not even maxed out or anything and you could probably get a better frame rate if you set everything to low), and you're wondering why your machine struggles with an unoptimized beta build of a game that promises to be a liiiiitle bit crazier than BF3 was, a build that people with all kinds of hardware have struggled with. People told you to upgrade for a reason: you have aging hardware. People have explained why the beta doesn't run like a finalized release title: it's a beta.

It keeps getting explained that this is a beta, but people actually refuse to read information found online and in this thread. We have had people claim (lie about) their experiences with the BF3 beta being so much more stable (despite the fact that there was the same level of complaints being made at the time. Invisible holes in the terrain after every round. The light bloom not working correctly on some graphics cards turning the entire surface area of Metro into a bright white splotch. Routinely getting stuck on every single things and invisible debris that should have been cleared out, to name a few things I personally experienced with it ).

We've had goons more or less claim that the battlepacks are actually a PAY 2 WIN feature (using the evidence they've created in their own minds). The "controversy" here is primarily the result of people refusing to read information that is openly available and jumping to conclusions about a beta.

I'm sorry you're upset, but the things people are complaining about have BEEN explained in this thread. If that's not good enough, no amount of technical explanation will satisfy you or anyone else like you.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
Why does toggle primary bind to on button released when bound to the mouse? That is the most awkward as gently caress thing I have seen so far. God drat I hope it is set to on button down in release.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Is there a keybind for just spotting? I want to bind it to a mouse button so I can more easily spot stuff while I'm gunning without accidentally saying "SORRY, REQUESTING ORDER, THANK YOU, OKAY, GO GO GO, NEED AMMO, SORRY" all the time.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ularg posted:

Is there a keybind for just spotting? I want to bind it to a mouse button so I can more easily spot stuff while I'm gunning without accidentally saying "SORRY, REQUESTING ORDER, THANK YOU, OKAY, GO GO GO, NEED AMMO, SORRY" all the time.

Pretty sure just tapping Q is good enough, but I've had lag (and clumsiness) bring up the commrose when I don't want to and I die faster than usual for it.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Obliteration 64 is a clusterfuck, but even with 32 players on your team nobody will defend the points.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Pretty sure just tapping Q is good enough, but I've had lag (and clumsiness) bring up the commrose when I don't want to and I die faster than usual for it.

That's never worked for me. I've had to hold it until the radial menu comes up.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ularg posted:

That's never worked for me. I've had to hold it until the radial menu comes up.

That's..weird. I can't help ya then, no idea what's up.

I have noticed it's finicky, more so than it is with BF3. Like if my cross hairs aren't for sure on a target, my guy sometimes does nothing. They've added a goofy animation to it as well, your guy points at the spotted thing, which is my best indicator other than the dorito that I've spotted something outside of ADS.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Pharmaskittle posted:

What's up with the first shotgun you unlock? Is this some semiautomatic poo poo? I am furious.

I have had great success with that shotgun, not sure why you would say its poo poo just because you can shoot fast.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's been discussed to death in previous bf beta threads but I agree it's a bit of a silly move by dice. When I played the beta most of the server chat was people commenting how badly it was performing.

For them to do this for a third time is bad messaging on their part. They should have a huge glowing message when you start the beta that says, "this build runs at xx% that the final product will".

You can argue all you like about how every one is a pubby idiot etc but if the perception is leading to them losing pre orders it's really their fault. Especially as they always do this. The vast majority of players know nothing about random devs twitter feeds or what ever.

Heatin My Harbl
Sep 21, 2006
i'm on ur radiatorz

It was a kinda silly post but I didn't really remember it until you mentioned it again just now. You more or less explained that your computer as is struggles to run BF3, on a 48 player server (not even the full 64 players, not even maxed out or anything and you could probably get a better frame rate if you set everything to low), and you're wondering why your machine struggles with an unoptimized beta build of a game that promises to be a liiiiitle bit crazier than BF3 was, a build that people with all kinds of hardware have struggled with. People told you to upgrade for a reason: you have aging hardware. People have explained why the beta doesn't run like a finalized release title: it's a beta.

It keeps getting explained that this is a beta, but people actually refuse to read information found online and in this thread. We have had people claim (lie about) their experiences with the BF3 beta being so much more stable (despite the fact that there was the same level of complaints being made at the time. Invisible holes in the terrain after every round. The light bloom not working correctly on some o cards turning the entire surface area of Metro into a bright white splotch. Routinely getting stuck on every single things and invisible debris that should have been cleared out, to name a few things I personally experienced with it ).

We've had goons more or less claim that the battlepacks are actually a PAY 2 WIN feature (using the evidence they've created in their own minds). The "controversy" here is primarily the result of people refusing to read information that is openly available and jumping to conclusions about a beta.

I'm sorry you're upset, but the things people are complaining about have BEEN explained in this thread. If that's not good enough, no amount of technical explanation will satisfy you or anyone else like you.

Amazing. You went from complaining about people not reading certain posts and being a douche about it, to literally not reading my own posts and actually being even more condescending.

Its fairly obvious that you don't know much about what you're speaking of, yet you consistently accuse people of lying about their experiences with not only this game, but even older ones.

I think I'm going to back out of this now.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jippa posted:

It's been discussed to death in previous bf beta threads but I agree it's a bit of a silly move by dice. When I played the beta most of the server chat was people commenting how badly it was performing.

For them to do this for a third time is bad messaging on their part. They should have a huge glowing message when you start the beta that says, "this build runs at xx% that the final product will".

You can argue all you like about how every one is a pubby idiot etc but if the perception is leading to them losing pre orders it's really their fault. Especially as they always do this. The vast majority of players know nothing about random devs twitter feeds or what ever.

This is why it says BETA. And why every second you're playing it has BETA in huge fuckoff letters on your screen. And why it's called BETA. And why they've said 100 times over that it's an old, unoptimized build that's been forked from the main development a long time ago. AND WHY IT SAYS loving OPEN loving BETA IN HUGE LETTERS ON YOUR SCREEN WHENEVER YOU PLAY HOLY poo poo HOW IS THAT EASY TO MISS :psyboom:

Seriously, how the gently caress are people actually missing all of that signaling that says "this is a pre-release, unoptimized, buggy version of a game that we want you to test". What do you want them to do to make it any clearer? Come to everyone's house and beat them to death with a 2x4 that says THIS IS AN OPEN BETA on it?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Naturally Selected posted:

This is why it says BETA. And why every second you're playing it has BETA in huge fuckoff letters on your screen. And why it's called BETA. And why they've said 100 times over that it's an old, unoptimized build that's been forked from the main development a long time ago. AND WHY IT SAYS loving OPEN loving BETA IN HUGE LETTERS ON YOUR SCREEN WHENEVER YOU PLAY HOLY poo poo HOW IS THAT EASY TO MISS :psyboom:

Seriously, how the gently caress are people actually missing all of that signaling that says "this is a pre-release, unoptimized, buggy version of a game that we want you to test". What do you want them to do to make it any clearer? Come to everyone's house and beat them to death with a 2x4 that says THIS IS AN OPEN BETA on it?

Ok dude calm down. I have known this and played the last 2 bf games betas. Their messaging obviously isn't working though (and it didn't work on those previous games either).

A "beta" can mean loads of things in this day and age. Loads of betas are demos.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The bf1942 beta was far superior to this.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It's a beta and all, but it appears that as of a few days ago they weren't sure why people are experiencing some of the issues, and that's why they requested people with issues to submit a few different things including dxdiags and such. I've read of people with identical builds have radically different performances on the beta. Two brothers with exactly the same machines are having issues on one machine, and flawless performance on the other.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
Not to derail the arguments and bitching or anything. I added a bunch of the names I recognised from here on origin. Origin is xYigx. Add me before I lose my loving mind from pubbys driving tanks past flashing cap points.

Ok now back to your regularly scheduled arguments and bitching about each others idea of what a beta is.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Zotix posted:

It's a beta and all, but it appears that as of a few days ago they weren't sure why people are experiencing some of the issues, and that's why they requested people with issues to submit a few different things including dxdiags and such. I've read of people with identical builds have radically different performances on the beta. Two brothers with exactly the same machines are having issues on one machine, and flawless performance on the other.

Were they also running exactly the same software, background processes, driver versions, windows updates and driver settings?

Do you honestly think it's as simple as "I have X CPU and Y GPU so I am therefore entitled to Z frames per second?" Then again, after some of the posts in this thread, I don't think I could blame you if you did think that.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Smegmatron posted:

Were they also running exactly the same software, background processes, driver versions, windows updates and driver settings?

Do you honestly think it's as simple as "I have X CPU and Y GPU so I am therefore entitled to Z frames per second?" Then again, after some of the posts in this thread, I don't think I could blame you if you did think that.

I'd say someone with a $600 video card and a quad core processor @ 4.4ghz, with 16gb of ram and an SSD should run this game at max settings 1080p without an issue. Yes, yes I'll go on the record and say that this game should be able to be played on any graphics setting without going under 40fps.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Naturally Selected posted:

Settle down beavis. There's absolutely nothing wrong with what the guy you quoted said. Lots of people, me included, installed the beta to get a feel for how the game runs on my computer. I'm not going to to plop down 60 bucks for something just to find out it runs like garbage after the fact.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Generally with prerelease software you aren't entitled to poo poo.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Zotix posted:

I'd say someone with a $600 video card and a quad core processor @ 4.4ghz, with 16gb of ram and an SSD should run this game at max settings 1080p without an issue. Yes, yes I'll go on the record and say that this game should be able to be played on any graphics setting without going under 40fps.

Maybe, but definitely not before it's finished.

In the meantime, enjoy your free, no-obligation glimpse at an unfinished work in progress.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

OK, Obliteration is now my favorite game type. Had some really intense games (even with pubbies!) with a lot of back and forth. Some really great moments. I love the feeling of dropping in from helis and the parachute spawn right into the action and getting a few frags. Also the AA vehicles rape helicopters and infantry. It's so fun to knock one of out of the sky and then take out the parachuting pilot as well.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
Optimisation happens at the end of development. It makes complete sense for DICE to work on performance issues brought up in the beta. The same bugs are probably present in the main code branch, if they even forked it at all.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Man, you guys have taken to talking poo poo to each other more than talking poo poo to pubbies or talking about the game. :allears:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Riflen posted:

Optimisation happens at the end of development. It makes complete sense for DICE to work on performance issues brought up in the beta. The same bugs are probably present in the main code branch, if they even forked it at all.

The advent of the F2P Beta have ruined the term beta forever and people think the jump from beta to V1.0 is just a 64kb patch to change the version number. People should stop complaining and wait for release, I'll gladly jump on the hate train if the release version runs like poo poo, but I doubt it since the beta runs good for me already.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Ularg posted:

Man, you guys have taken to talking poo poo to each other more than talking poo poo to pubbies or talking about the game. :allears:

Goons love a chance to be smug more than anything else.

Speaking of pubbies, I just watched one grab the attack chopper, bail at C and grab the bomb, get back in the somehow still alive attack helo, and then fly over to China's harborside point and bail. He couldn't open his parachute in time and cratered and gave China the bomb and our attack helo. I don't know what his big plan was, a quick plant or something? Everyone can see where the bomb is, dude, you're not going to surprise anyone.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Second update for the Beta is now live.

Changelog posted:

Updates in Beta Patch #2 for PC (Oct 10)
-Two fixes for the long/permanent loading times
-Various improvements in performance for users running quad core or six core CPU's
-Fixed a crash that happened for some dual core CPU users after loading
-Fixed a crash relating to DirectX10 graphics cards
-Various stability fixes
-Various crash fixes

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hexic posted:

Settle down beavis. There's absolutely nothing wrong with what the guy you quoted said. Lots of people, me included, installed the beta to get a feel for how the game runs on my computer. I'm not going to to plop down 60 bucks for something just to find out it runs like garbage after the fact.

So you installed an unfinished, unoptimized, pre-release, not even current, build of a game released to test for things QA missed and to stress-test the back end.... To find out how the finished, optimized, released build of the game will run.

Yes, I see. DICE really hosed up this server stress-test by not actually giving you the finished product a month early, for free.

Seriously, even most loving pubbies have figured out the whole "BETA" thing. Having this argument go in circles for what is now several pages is ridiculous.

Speaking of ridiculous though, I just realized why Battlefield is so addictive. Obliteration round, I'm on the elevator roof overlooking D, see the enemy bomb carrier run in to plant. Jumped down, popped my chute, shot out the glass roof so I could just fly down, drop on the catwalk, tumble to the bottom floor, whip out the M9 and headshot the guy just before he finishes planting. In any action movie, and even most games, this would be a set-piece. BF4? I just kinda ran off to do poo poo 10x crazier than that, like HALO-ing off a falling sky-scraper to C4 a boat or whatever other craziness you do as a matter of course now. It's also why Battlefield single-player doesn't seem to work that well: for every "holy poo poo the terrists nuked paris" setpiece they can come up with, you have "drove a tank through a house" poo poo happening every 10 seconds in MP.

Ed:
Guess it was too much to hope for more guns to unlock with the update, eh.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What is the microsoft thing that comes with the patch? Related to dx?

• Locked thread