Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Third Island Theme

Last time, we left off in front of this shady neighborhood.

At the end of a narrow, alley-like road were a bunch of run-down electronics shops.
TVs, computers and spare parts lined the windows. It might have looked very modern... once.

...Wait a second.

With all these gadgets lying around... maybe there’s something we can use to contact the outside?

...I'd better check it out.

The most important thing to check out is in this corner of the area.

It's the first Hidden Monobear for this chapter!

And now we can move on and see if Souda discovered anything.

You gotta be kidding me...

You gotta be fuckin’ kidding me!!
What's up? I figured you’d be pretty happy to find a whole street of gadget shops...

Don't you make fun of me! They call me a "Super High-school Level Mechanic", ya know!
I'm ecstatic about it!
So... maybe you could try looking ecstatic?

Maybe you should try showin’ some tact!

D’you have any idea how this feels? Life’s not always that simple, y’know?

This would be easier if I had the first clue what he was talking about.

So... this place is causing you to have... complicated feelings?

See, I’m surrounded by all this machinery, and...

I just wanna tinker! Take ‘em all apart! See what makes ‘em tick! Who wouldn’t?!

But... there’s no time for any of that right now. poo poo. This sucks big time.
Um, I don’t think it’s particularly... normal... to just want to take stuff apart all the time.

It's just like... You know how when there's a girl you like, and you can't wait to take her clothes off?
I mean, you really wanna check out her bone structure, right? See how her elbow joints are, or the way her bones protrude. That kinda stuff!
W... What?! That’s definitely not normal! That’s... That’s not even slightly normal!

Seriously?!

I see... Maybe wanting to check out a girl's bone structure’s a bit fanatical...

...Just a bit.

This area is pretty wide. Here's the other side of it.

She’s rummaging through piles of old-looking gadgets. There’s a familiar air of deep concentration around her...

Hey, Nanami, what are you doing? Are you looking for something?

Yeah. I thought I might find some game consoles here. All kinds of perfectly good hardware gets thrown away in places like these...
Oh. I see.

I don’t mind second-hand stuff. Hmm... It looks like they’ve got televisions over there, too.
Well, if you find one, let me know. I'll help you carry it back to the hotel.

Okay... I'll do that.

After Koizumi’s murder... I think it’s going to take a while until I can play video games again.

There are all sorts of hot spots to check in this Electric Town, starting with this microwave right here.

A microwave... Heh... If Hanamura were around to see this, he’d probably get all indignant...

“I am a Super High-school Level Chef! I make the “world’s tastiest food”! How dare you bring such a pedestrian device into my sight!?”

He must have made a lot of people happy with his food... But now...

Next, we can look at every one of these shops.

Honestly, I’m a little disappointed in Nanami not commenting on getting to a new town and shopping for better equipment.

It’s the “Cellphone Corner”.

Mountains of phones, but without batteries, they’re not gonna be much use to anyone.

They also have a chainsaw. Maybe it’s a limited edition thing.

A pile of used electronic devices. Appliances, audio equipment, toys... all sorts of stuff.

It all looks old and battered... does any of it even work?

Cathode-ray television sets are on display in this corner.

They look... ancient. They probably can't even get a modern digital signal.

Not that it matters. I don't think we get any television signals on this island...

What's over here?

I don’t recognize any of this stuff...

Oh, there's nothing for you in this corner...
Hm? What do you mean?

Heh... the fact you can't tell just goes to show how much of an amateur you are.
This stuff... is for wiretapping or sneak photography. Y’know, spy stuff.
They’ve even got some surveillance cameras. Pretty old, though.
Spy gadgets?!

Hey! Don't get me wrong!
I only know what they are because I'm a mechanic! I've never actually used any of that stuff before!
Yeah, I know...
Speaking of surveillance cameras...
Monobear's been usin’ ‘em to keep an eye on us for a while now, hasn't he?
I'm a little jealous, y'know. I wonder how Sonia-san looks through one of them...!

So he’s never used this stuff before... but I bet he’d jump at the chance to.

There's one more shop, right in the center of the area.

A pile of desktop and laptop computers. They look pretty old...

Although... it seems a few of them still have power...

Maybe they can connect to the internet... If so...!

I pulled one of laptops out of the pile to test my idea...

...And turned the power on.

The first thing I did was test whether it was connected to the net...

* tap tap tap tap *

...No good. I can't get a connection.

Well, I didn't think it would be that easy. Then, just as I was about to give up...

I noticed a strange icon on the computer's desktop.

"Usami X File"...? What the hell?

Music fades out

I casually clicked on the strange icon, and then...

It's a text file... The writing's formal. Seems like a report to someone.

I ran my eyes over the text.

Re: DISTRUST

"Re: The Worst, Most Despair Inducing Incident in the History of Mankind

The incident began with a sudden student revolt within Hope’s Peak Academy.
The students of Hope's Peak Preparatory School had become increasingly discontent with what they perceived as highly discriminatory treatment on the part of the main school.
What started as an ordinary but heated dispute gradually escalated into what can only be described as an all-out armed revolt.
After the original complaint, the school entered into negotiations with the students. By all accounts, these negotiations were proceeding smoothly, and a peaceful resolution seemed forthcoming. What followed, however, was the exact opposite.
We theorize this to be the work of a third party - one with considerable influence over the student movement - acting behind the scenes.
When all was said and done, riots and insurgency began spreading like a contagion, nationally and beyond.
The insurgents’ behaviour after the outbreak was not at all consistent with that of a group seeking to stage a coup d’état or perform acts of terrorism. We have yet to determine the true purpose of the revolts, and can only speculate as to its nature.
The only thing we can conclusively state is that they do have a purpose; everything we have observed suggests a plan at work. A de&pai!-ind*c@ng situa(ion indeed.
As the dis*urb&nces con%inued, Ho£e's Peak A%^demy wa% fo(£ed to p*^ %n end to %ts long hi@to!y.
The surviv$ng st%den”s ma&$ int^ "examples of despair" by b*&ng fo^!e! @! k*l* @(ch (th;r."

...It's useless. The rest of the text is garbage I can't read.

But... what is this thing?

Re: Mr. Monobear's Lesson

That was really conventional.
As conventional as a dog that barks. Your reaction's so conventional, it's almost fresh!

That's the best you could come up with?! Can't you tell how important this scene is?!
Don't tell me... you wrote this file, didn't you.

...Oh? What makes you think that?
B...Because... who else could it be?!
"The Worst, Most Despair Inducing Incident in the History of Mankind"? National revolts?
It even says Hope's Peak Academy is gone!
Seems just like something you'd come up with.
Anything else?
What the hell is "Hope's Peak Preparatory School"? I've never heard of any such thing!

...You haven't?
That’s odd... I can see how the others wouldn't have, but you, at least, should know all about it.
W...What do you mean...?

I guess you forgot it along with the rest of your school memories. Can't be helped.
I shouldn't even be asking about this stupid thing, but... this file mentions some "surviving students", right?
Is that... us? So, what the rest says...

Hey, wait a second, you two!

What the hell are you talking about?! You're making no sense at all!

A movie lacking picture, a song lacking sound, a book lacking words...
Those are all things you can say "make no sense".

What we've been saying isn't nearly on the same level!
Who cares? Just tell me who those "surviving students" are!

How should I know? They never tell me the important things! I'm just here to be cute, that's all!

Third Island Theme

Dammit...! He ran away again!

H...Hey, Hinata...
I...I don't think you should worry. He's... just messing with us.

I'm sure he is...!

And that's all we can do at the electric town. Next location!

And also the final one on this island. Let's see what's inside.

Re: Mr. Monobear's Lesson

Welcome, one and all!
We are currently in the middle of a screening, so please wait five more minutes until the next one begins!
A screening? What are you talking about?

Are those eyes of yours just there for decoration? Take a look around! We're in a movie theater!

I'm talking about a movie screening! What else could it be?!
A movie screening...
No... I don't even need to ask.
This is another one of your “motives”, isn’t it? Just like that "Twilight Syndrome" game.
This time I'm not going to watch it! I don't care what you say!

Oh my! And I was just about to give you a complimentary ticket, too!

But, I can't allow you not to see it! It's a movie I made myself, after all!
If no one sees it, I'll feel like you're shutting me out!
You made that movie? Now I'm sure it's just like that game.

That game was shoddy work, I'll give you that. But this time it's my true masterpiece!
Anyway, as long as I don't permit it, not watching isn't an option!

I am Monobear! I make the rules on this island!
So... what are you going to do to me if I refuse to watch?

I can't allow such outrageous behavior! I can't allow it, but...

...If you buy a Monobear Sticker from the cinema store over there, I'll let it slide.

A Monobear Sticker?

Before we go looking for the Monobear Sticker, there's one important thing to do.

...Now we can go looking for the sticker.

On top of the counter, I found some strange pieces of merchandise.

This looks like a tote bag made of hemp fabric with Monomi's face printed on it...

Oh? Did that catch your eye? It's a universal tote-bag with a multitude of functions!

It's also a limited edition. I only have one to sell!
By the way, tote bags were originally made for carrying ice around.

...So, how about it? Are you buying?
...Nope.

Yeah, I thought you'd say that. To be honest, I had to cut some corners when making it.

That's a little too honest...

So, about that sticker... Did you mean these things?

It says "Sorry for being born an idiot"...

It's not even funny, and I don't think it has any deep meaning... This one's cutting corners too!

Actually, I got those stickers from an all-powerful monk after I made a prayer!

I'll give you a special price! Just 1.5 million yen!
Y...You want 1.5 million yen...? For a sticker?
That's ridiculous! I don't even have any money!

You can pay me after you leave this island. You can always watch the movie instead, of course...
...Fine. I'll pay.

That's a shock!!
If you don't mind waiting until I leave the island, then sure - I'll pay 1.5 million.

Y...You're the first person I’ve ever seen agree to pay so much for one of these stickers...

I guess that means you really don't want to see my movie, though. That's... depressing.

But for this much profit, who cares?! I'm a money-counting mascot, y'know!

That's the worst kind...!

Here, take it, you thief! You should paste it on your forehead, you thief!
I hope all your prayers will be answered, you thief!

The sticker I got was even more flimsy and cheap-looking than I imagined...
This is like something you find inside a pack of bubblegum. Who would ever pay so much money for something like this...?

...I hope I didn't make a big mistake.

Oh! While we were messing around, it seems the screening has ended!
I have to go collect my questionnaire!

Humming a tune, Monobear turned towards the door to the theater, and then...

Music halts.

* BANG *

The door was thrown open violently, and a single man appeared.

Third Island Theme

Ah, Komaeda-kun! May I have my questionnaire back?

Questionnaire? Are you serious...?
That was so boring I felt I was being tortured. The last few minutes felt like weeks.

U...Um...

Well... That's what art is like, y'know. Work that doesn't challenge common sense has no right to be called art.

I was so sure it was going to be the next motive, but it wasn't anything like that. I'm disappointed on so many levels...
If I could've paid money to avoid this experience, I would've gladly done so...

I...If even Komaeda got so depressed, that must be one terrible movie.

I guess I made the right choice.

Let's see if he has anything else to say about his experience.

Sigh... It was so boring I'm exhausted.
If I could've paid money to avoid this experience, I would've gladly done so...
Just for reference... if you had to pay 1.5 million yen in order not to see it...

I'd do it in a second.

That was... a very quick answer.

There are some other things we can look at.

It's the food corner.

There's popcorn, sandwiches, and all sorts of soft drinks.

It's a poster for Time Travelers. Huh, seems interesting.

I’ll be buying that for sure.

The Level 5 check is in the mail. And with that business done, we're done with the cinema, and also with this island's exploration.

Hinata-san! Hold it right there!!
Sonia... What's up?

I have just been to the hospital, you see...
And it seems Tsumiki-san has made a great big discovery!
A great big discovery... at the hospital?

Please, God, let it not be an excessively large syringe.

It seems you and I think alike, Hinata-san.
...Huh?

I guess "Furikaereba Yatsu ga Iru" also fits, but what really comes to mind is "Kaze no Naka no Aitsu"!

"Furikaereba Yatsu ga Iru" (Fuji Television, 1993) and "Kaze no Naka no Aitsu" (Nippon Television, 1984) are two old medical TV dramas. But I don't think I even should explain this because --

Um... What are you talking about?

What are you saying, Hinata-san?! It's a legendary Japanese medical drama!
"Kaze no Naka no Aitsu" was broadcast in 1984 and had a huge influence on trendy TV series the following years!

It's a love story between a rookie idealistic doctor and an elite doctor he works with...
And the best thing is, the lead male and female actors later got married in real life!
Wait a second. Why do you know so much about ancient TV shows?
Anyway, we have to hurry. Come to the room at the far end of the corridor in the hospital's first floor.

The far end of the corridor...?

I'm not sure what's going on, but I guess I should go and see.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yes, I have just noticed the frankly embarrassing and consistent spelling error in the first few lines. Yes, Oren has just left Skype.

Always. ALWAYS Something.

no I didn't make it I just didn't notice it oh for gently caress's sake why does this happen to me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

On the positive side, I thought the ecstatic/show some tact word play was pretty clever?

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
FINALLY, some clues! Hinata's either being jerked around by Monobear, or he was on the surface a prepatory school student prior to this mess! That would mean he DIDN'T have a talent to begin with, and account for his maddening desire to enter the school.

But um, drat, this still raises some questions. How in the hell were kids being jilted out of the prestige and honor of attending the REAL Hope's Peak able to cause so much loving trouble that the result gets labeled as The Most Despairing Incident in the aftermath?

They themselves wouldn't have been paying money for it; their parents or benefactors would have (and I don't see them anywhere raising a poo poo storm in the implied background,) and while this game and the prior one show what super teens are capable of, it still feels like a stretch to assume a large mass of regular teens rioting ended up ruining everything... Unless they all went to an axe and machete store and then massacred everyone in sight or something equally egregious/too ridiculously extreme to have actually happened.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

orenronen posted:

It's a poster for Time Travelers. Huh, seems interesting.

Nice Marty McFly vest there. Makes me think the other four outfits are references too, but I don't recognize any of them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tiistai posted:

Nice Marty McFly vest there. Makes me think the other four outfits are references too, but I don't recognize any of them.
That green overcoat seems distinct enough to be a reference - but I can't place it either.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Fedule posted:

Yes, I have just noticed the frankly embarrassing and consistent spelling error in the first few lines. Yes, Oren has just left Skype.

Always. ALWAYS Something.

no I didn't make it I just didn't notice it oh for gently caress's sake why does this happen to me

I get all of 'em? Only found two.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

tiistai posted:

Endorph posted:

That green overcoat seems distinct enough to be a reference - but I can't place it either.

It's A real game you guys. It's not a reference. If it is it's the game itself. Stop looking into things so much :allears:

Edit: vvv If it's a reference it doesn't seem like a reference that should be talked about here, in the Dangan Ronpa thread, is all.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 10, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Buuuut real games can still reference stuff, and that vest is definitely a Marty McFly thing. Also it was just two people making a goofy little mistake, no need to get all high-and-mighty.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

If that movie really is the next murder motive, I bet Komaeda seeing it first will end up being important somehow. Really curious to see what it ends up being.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Jewel posted:

It's A real game you guys. It's not a reference. If it is it's the game itself. Stop looking into things so much :allears:

I wasn't "looking into it", it just caught my eye :saddowns:

Also what Endorph said.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

orenronen posted:

After Koizumi’s murder... I think it’s going to take a while until I can play video games again.

quote:

A microwave... Heh... If Hanamura were around to see this, he’d probably get all indignant...

“I am a Super High-school Level Chef! I make the “world’s tastiest food”! How dare you bring such a pedestrian device into my sight!?”

He must have made a lot of people happy with his food... But now...

You know, I like these little touches. Shows that Hinata at least hasn't forgotten about his classmates.

And yeah, Monobear does seem to be strongly hinting at Hinata having been a prep school student.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Slowbeef posted:

I get all of 'em? Only found two.

Aw, you shouldn't've. Yeah, just two.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Warning: I'm probably looking far too deep into this, but it's something I wanted to point out...

So, going by the posters, there are two films Now Playing: Wild Gunman Monobear, and The Wizard of Monomi. I'm not sure which film Nagito was watching (as it's implied Time Travelers is a coming soon affair or a video game ad) or if he implied whichever, but the film posters are interesting.

I'm still trying to figure out if the Wild gunman poster is referencing a specific western(3:10 to Yuma? Unforgiven? ...Sunset Riders?), but it's pretty obvious where Wizard of Monomi's coming from. This may be a rather subtle clue; in the movie and the books, the Wizard himself was really a man behind the curtain. If Monomi's the wizard in the film, this clue could be a direct implication that someone is controlling her. However, despite being named the Wizard, Monomi's on the poster wearing the Wicked Witch of the West's costume, implying that she's a villain. Is this also a possible clue?

At the very least Dorothy/Monobear IS the character who defeats (and sort of kills) the Witch, and that actually already happened, technically.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TKMobile posted:

Warning: I'm probably looking far too deep into this, but it's something I wanted to point out...

So, going by the posters, there are two films Now Playing: Wild Gunman Monobear, and The Wizard of Monomi. I'm not sure which film Nagito was watching (as it's implied Time Travelers is a coming soon affair or a video game ad) or if he implied whichever, but the film posters are interesting.

I'm still trying to figure out if the Wild gunman poster is referencing a specific western(3:10 to Yuma? Unforgiven? ...Sunset Riders?), but it's pretty obvious where Wizard of Monomi's coming from. This may be a rather subtle clue; in the movie and the books, the Wizard himself was really a man behind the curtain. If Monomi's the wizard in the film, this clue could be a direct implication that someone is controlling her. However, despite being named the Wizard, Monomi's on the poster wearing the Wicked Witch of the West's costume, implying that she's a villain. Is this also a possible clue?

At the very least Dorothy/Monobear IS the character who defeats (and sort of kills) the Witch, and that actually already happened, technically.

Given the giant robots, the only movie the Wild Gunman Monobear could be parodying is Wild Wild West :v:. As to The Wizard of Oz, the most likely answer is "it's in the public domain and makes for an easy movie joke".

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Souda's starting to edge out Fukawa from last game in terms of creepy stalker vibes. I guess it's natural to have fantasies at that age, but yammering on about them to a third party is pretty weird, dude.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

TKMobile posted:

FINALLY, some clues! Hinata's either being jerked around by Monobear, or he was on the surface a prepatory school student prior to this mess! That would mean he DIDN'T have a talent to begin with, and account for his maddening desire to enter the school.

But um, drat, this still raises some questions. How in the hell were kids being jilted out of the prestige and honor of attending the REAL Hope's Peak able to cause so much loving trouble that the result gets labeled as The Most Despairing Incident in the aftermath?

They themselves wouldn't have been paying money for it; their parents or benefactors would have (and I don't see them anywhere raising a poo poo storm in the implied background,) and while this game and the prior one show what super teens are capable of, it still feels like a stretch to assume a large mass of regular teens rioting ended up ruining everything... Unless they all went to an axe and machete store and then massacred everyone in sight or something equally egregious/too ridiculously extreme to have actually happened.

Well, its clear that there was someone backing the students, and that had to have been the queen of despair, Junko. And considering that she was like the Joker, its quite possible with her help that they could cause something big.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alopex posted:

Souda's starting to edge out Fukawa from last game in terms of creepy stalker vibes. I guess it's natural to have fantasies at that age, but yammering on about them to a third party is pretty weird, dude.
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. His thing with bone structure was more goofy than creepy, and all he wondered was how Sonia looked on the spy cameras, not 'I WANT TO SEE HER CHANGING' or whatever. Dude's got it bad, but Fukawa wanted to cut Togami up and nail him to a cross. Souda's just kind of a goon.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Souda's starting to remind me of that one Batman villain who was obsessed with taking things apart - including people.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

orenronen posted:

What the hell is "Hope's Peak Preparatory School?" I've never heard of any such thing!
...You haven't?
That’s odd... I can see how the others wouldn't have, but you, at least, should know all about it.
W...What do you mean...?

Iinteresting. SHSL Diplomat? SHSL Graduate? SHSL Mediator?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Maybe a SHSL Student Teacher. I mean, if Nidai can already be a coach.

vocaloid orgasm
Apr 15, 2011

I keep on singing
Eternal life
VOCALOID

Poulpe posted:

SHSL Prep Student probably.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fedule posted:

Aw, you shouldn't've. Yeah, just two.

Including the "He run away again", instead of "ran"? Or was that intentional?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Monobear's certainly channeling Hagakure with that sticker scam, alright.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Vil posted:

Including the "He run away again", instead of "ran"? Or was that intentional?

∀x gently caress(x)

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Poulpe posted:

While reading the update, I was starting to think more along the lines of SHSL Rioter, or Riot Instigator or something like that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Even if Hinata was a prep school student, there must be something special about him if he's the only one on the island with all of the legitimate Hope's Peak "SHSL" students.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Fedule posted:

∀x gently caress(x)

Got it.

Apollove
May 31, 2013
Perhaps he could be some sort of SHSL undercover cop, going undercover in the prep school to prevent an uprising from the prep school students, which I guess failed...?

Man, it's really too early to be able to make any sort of solid guess based on just that.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Fedule posted:

∀x gently caress(x)

I'm a programmer and even I was confused at that symbol. I checked around, turns out it means "For All". For all x, gently caress(x). I.E. "gently caress Everything" :allears:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Whoa, so the WORST INCIDENT is the prep school revolt, presumably egged on by Junko? iiiiiiinteresting. If Hinata is a prep school student, then he might have been involved in it, maybe even have been one of the ringleaders.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pardon the cliche, but curiouser and curiouser. Not sure what to make of Hope's Peak Prep School, or the revolt. It sort of fits with the images of the MonoRiots Junko showed us at the end of the first game, I suppose.

Knicknevin
Jul 2, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Pardon the cliche, but curiouser and curiouser. Not sure what to make of Hope's Peak Prep School, or the revolt. It sort of fits with the images of the MonoRiots Junko showed us at the end of the first game, I suppose.

You should probably read (or re-read) DR zero, both were mentioned in there. But to synopsize, if I'm remembering correctly, the 'Prep School' is just a private academy adjacent to Hope's Peak that anyone can pay to attend. It's not really an elite school, but just an elite name, and the students of the prep school don't really have anything to do with the main academy.

And as I recall one of the motivators of the revolt was the students of the Prep School feeling they weren't being given the same level of treatment as the invited students of the main academy and were, in theory at least, protesting their discriminatory treatment. Though it was speculated that something bigger was behind the movement.

... I should probably find the chapter that was in and re-read it as well.

Knicknevin fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 10, 2013

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

orenronen posted:

As the dis*urb&nces con%inued, Ho£e's Peak A%^demy wa% fo(£ed to p*^ %n end to %ts long hi@to!y.
The surviv$ng st%den”s ma&$ int^ "examples of despair" by b*&ng fo^!e! @! k*l* @(ch (th;r."

"As the disturbances continued, Hope's Peak Academy was forced to put an end to its long history.
The surviving students made into "examples of despair" by being forced to kill each other."

So now we know for sure that this game takes place after the first one.

But if Hinata was a prep school student as Monobear implies, why is he on the island with the definite SHSL students now? He must have gotten into the main school at some point, right? So he did develop some kind of talent eventually.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Monobear was going off about a traitor amidst the students. Maybe he meant it more along this context? As in a prep student managing to sneak in with the SHSL students? If everyone's memories have been wiped, it could be part of what Hinata forgot.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Komaeda clearly knows what Hinata's talent is, and it seems to have something to do with observation. From the last chapter's investigation section, if you're wondering.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Montegoraon posted:

"As the disturbances continued, Hope's Peak Academy was forced to put an end to its long history.
The surviving students made into "examples of despair" by being forced to kill each other."

So now we know for sure that this game takes place after the first one.

Yeah, given the references Monobear made in the last trial, this probably takes place after the ending of DR1. Still though, I half-hope that the vault door of that school-like ruin will open up after the 4th/5th Trial and the DR1 survivors will come out - regardless of how little sense it might make - just because that would be friggin' amazing.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Jewel posted:

I'm a programmer and even I was confused at that symbol. I checked around, turns out it means "For All". For all x, gently caress(x). I.E. "gently caress Everything" :allears:

It's a symbolic logic symbol, not a programming thing specifically. (Although there is an analogy to for and foreach loops.) You'd usually use it to take apart a sentence like "every student is a murderer" so that you can show how the truth and falseness values relate to each other. It usually stands in contrast to stuff like ∃ (there exists one - "at least one student is a murderer").

Sorry. Anyway...

Komaeda found the movie boring, but remember he's also the Super High School Boy Ain't Right, so it's possible that the whole thing was an action-packed thrillfest and he was just bored because nobody said anything about hope.

It's nice that the game is playing with our expectations, though; we know Monobear is going to provide another motive, so it's dangling the movie in front of us for a bit before revealing that not only won't the main character watch it, it isn't the motive anyway. So the motive will either come from an unexpected angle in this chapter, or we won't get one at all.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Jefepato posted:

Saionji did mention "cheap labor."

Where do the non-rich people who work on fancy resorts normally stay? I don't really know at all, but I guess a motel doesn't sound right either.

The island staff probably would have their own accomodations, so the motel may be for traveling bands and other entertainers.

Penakoto posted:

If that movie really is the next murder motive, I bet Komaeda seeing it first will end up being important somehow. Really curious to see what it ends up being.

It can only be La Fin Absolue du Monde. Nagito wasn't affected because he's so full of hope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarette_Burns

Wikipedia posted:

Deeply in debt to the father of his late wife, rare-films dealer Kirby Sweetman has less than a month to produce $200,000 in order keep his small theater afloat. He is hired by an old cinephile, Mr. Bellinger (Udo Kier) to find the only existing print of a rare thirty-year old movie, La Fin Absolue du Monde (French: The Absolute End of the World). The film supposedly led to a homicidal riot at its first screening, after which it was destroyed.

Everyone should see it, it's a pretty neat episode from Masters of Horror, directed by John Carpenter.

Edit: spelling.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I don't know if you get enough movement range to see, but is there any chance we could get a better screen of that Monobear wild west poster? It looks great and I'd love to see it up closer.

• Locked thread