Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Alchenar posted:

It's clever. Your best bet is to send a levelled sniper as the infiltrator, but because he only shows up with a pistol that means that even before the nerfs to squad-sight you aren't going to be dual-sniping your way around the map.

Only if they fixed the bug that you can reaction shoot at infinite range with your pistol if you have squad-sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Space Hamlet posted:

Ha, 24:45 in that Rev3 video. Ananda knows that the camera moving that way means the shot's gonna connect. Surprised they didn't take that out.

I keep on forgetting these exist. I've had the cinematic camera angles turned off for so long I forgot they even existed until these videos.

I like keeping the top down view for everything instead of zooming in and out just to target and do anything.
It also makes the cross map squad sight shots that go through a broken ufo wall, two doors, and between several trees just that much more amusing.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Kalko posted:

A nice touch I noticed in the Rev3 video is that when those guys drop from the sky you briefly hear a helicopter. I wonder if alien-dropping is now accompanied by a UFO flyover sound bite.

On the other hand, I kinda dislike the Exalt making the alien-scuttle sound when they walk.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
It was hard to hear in the videos but so far I haven't heard any new music in EW, which isn't a tragedy since I can listen to the EU music all drat day, but I would've been cool with them just piling some more of the same on. I guess the composer might have just been busy/not interested!

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Geight posted:

I would've been cool with them just piling some more of the same on. I guess the composer might have just been busy/not interested!

If they don't deliver you could play the OST from Deus ex: HR I guess, it was composed by Michael McCann too. It also ties in neatly with the theme of transhumanist fanatics introduced with Exalt.

It would be a shame not to introduce any new themes in the expansion though, I could listen to this stuff all day. (the loadout theme gets me pumped every time !)

Sassy Sasquatch fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 10, 2013

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
I routinely search for the X-Com: EU OST on Spotify, but when I find it's nowhere to be found I end up playing the Deus Ex: HR one. :unsmith:

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
I bought a physical copy of X-COM: EU last November at FNAC. It had the Elite Soldier Pack and an extra DVD with the soundtrack. :haw:

I'm so pumped, though, about the expansion pack. First the MEC and Meld, then the new weapons, and now Exalt and base invasions!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Alchenar posted:

It's clever. Your best bet is to send a levelled sniper as the infiltrator, but because he only shows up with a pistol that means that even before the nerfs to squad-sight you aren't going to be dual-sniping your way around the map.

Gunslinger Sniper with that memetic skin or whatever that makes you invisible when in full cover.

Unless, of course, you have Training Roulette on and you get a soldier with Gunslinger, Up Close and Personal, and Rapid Fire.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Training roulette keeps skills on the same tiers, right?

The odds are against it, but what are your dream combinations of training roulettes skills? The gunslinger/up close and personal/rapid fire combo above makes one.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

^ A Support with Rapid Reaction (heavy), Opportunist (sniper) and Sentinel.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

With all the new grenade types, Grenadier + the new Deep Pockets and Tactical Rigging should mean up to six grenades split between two types. Does Mayhem work on grenades?

Rupert of Hentzau
Nov 23, 2005
Victim of gross furniture discourtesy.

Geight posted:

It was hard to hear in the videos but so far I haven't heard any new music in EW, which isn't a tragedy since I can listen to the EU music all drat day, but I would've been cool with them just piling some more of the same on. I guess the composer might have just been busy/not interested!

Funny story about this: apparently Michael McCann got pretty burned out on the electronic style of music used in DX: HR and was very excited when Firaxis phoned him up to talk about working on XCOM since he was looking forward to a change, only to be told they wanted him to do the same sort of thing for their game. Given that it won't be too surprising if he hasn't come back to work on the expansion and do it for a third time in a row. If so it is a shame since he was very good at it, but I can definitely understand if he wants to do something different.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Honestly, what I really want to see is a Sniper with the bonus critical damage/chance skills I never use on Assault. Can you imagine a Sniper that has +10% crit chance for every enemy in sight (Aggression) and +1 crit damage for every enemy the squad can see? I never take them on Assaults since I feel the main point of an Assault is to be able to run through enemy fire to shove a shotgun down an alien's throat and never get hit/die. But on a Sniper in the back of a squad...

Edit: Or a sniper with all the overwatch bonuses/suppression skills mixed with the skill that removes the aim penalty on Overwatch shots.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I, for one, can't wait to try out EXALT in Multiplatyer.

Also that there's a way to counter/find out where people using Ghost Armor are at without having to resort to looking at move-spaces.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Hey guys, guess what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd9CmpLZVMI

:getin:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I, for one, can't wait to see EXALT start using Ghost Armor. Maybe all those "countries" we've been selling Laser Rifles to aren't really countries at all? :tinfoil:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I wonder if EXALT folks will have psionics, especially the mind control ability. I can think of more useless abilities that you could add than Neural Feedback, but it still would be a very niche upgrade in Enemy Unknown. Whenever you face aliens that can mind control your men, they are in easily-bushwhacked UFO control rooms, or at the end of a story mission. No, I take that back, one is present in the very first encounter in the final mission, but he's just as easily killed as the others.

On the other hand, if there are psionic EXALT operatives then suddenly mind control becomes a very probable and extremely dangerous proposition.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

FauxGateau posted:

I, for one, can't wait to see EXALT start using Ghost Armor. Maybe all those "countries" we've been selling Laser Rifles to aren't really countries at all? :tinfoil:

The "style" of the EXALT may preclude ghost armor, given what the devs have said about how they like to operate, but they might go for the mimetic skin mod. That last idea is hilarious, though; I can just imagine the devs asking "How badly do you need the money? Are you willing to arm your enemies for some quick cash?"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mortabis posted:

On the other hand, if there are psionic EXALT operatives then suddenly mind control becomes a very probable and extremely dangerous proposition.

It also makes MEC troopers and SHIVs more useful.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Mortabis posted:

I wonder if EXALT folks will have psionics, especially the mind control ability. I can think of more useless abilities that you could add than Neural Feedback, but it still would be a very niche upgrade in Enemy Unknown. Whenever you face aliens that can mind control your men, they are in easily-bushwhacked UFO control rooms, or at the end of a story mission. No, I take that back, one is present in the very first encounter in the final mission, but he's just as easily killed as the others.

Gotta disagree with you there. Even Sectoid Commanders can gently caress you up if you accidentally trigger them on small UFOs, say, if your Heavy accidentally blows open a wall and exposes your capture-oriented Assault to them. Looking forward to equipping those guys with the Mental Feedback G-Mod :getin:

E: Speaking of Mind Control, MECs and G-Mods, they've confirmed it's either-or for individual soldiers, right? So you can't hook up your badass unstoppable MEC with anti-mind control stuff, can you?

God it is gonna be so hilarious/tragic when a MEC gets MC'd and slaughters the rest of his team. So many great stories are gonna come outta this.

HaitianDivorce fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 10, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah. Seeing as a lot of mods depend on poo poo like having skin and muscles, being a robot precludes that.

Also I keep getting the impression that MEC troopers can be wildly powerful already so stacking mods on them would be pretty crazy.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I've had maybe three soldiers mind controlled, one of them in Long War when some Commanders rolled up to the front of a supply barge before I'd triggered the alien base. Only one of those times has a mind-controlled soldier actually been able to injure any of my troops, and that was my first time assaulting the base when I thought I had to capture the commander instead of kill him, so I took huge risks to do so. Mind control is a pretty non-existent threat, mostly because it comes in very easily-controlled situations. In very rare situations where you need a rocket, worst comes to worst, they mind-control a guy and you get to kill the Commander on your turn. I guess if you triggered two at the same time and were already in a very bad way, they could be dangerous, but I prefer on very small UFO crashed maps to trigger them proactively if I can, rather than saving them for last. .

That said, I still really want to use that mod, just because it'd be hilarious.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

HaitianDivorce posted:

God it is gonna be so hilarious/tragic when a MEC gets MC'd and slaughters the rest of his team. So many great stories are gonna come outta this.
May not be as bad as MECs panicking and ramming a metal fist up their friend's rear end.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Thin Men are assholes and I have zero regrets (but maybe a sense of satisfaction) heading them over to Dr. Vahlen to be dealt with. :colbert:

e: please stop shooting me in the face :(

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

Thin Men are assholes and I have zero regrets (but maybe a sense of satisfaction) heading them over to Dr. Vahlen to be dealt with. :colbert:

e: please stop shooting me in the face :(

Try Thin Men with Damage Roulette. The Thin Man flanks you, your guy hits him but only does 1-2 damage with plasma or laser weapons, then the Thin Man crits you for 12 loving damage.

I can deal with one RNG without getting frustrated, but stacking another on top of that is frustration hell. Damage Roulette is fun for maybe a single game, and then never again.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I wonder if MECs will be immune to poison by default?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The whole EXALT thing almost seems like it would work better as a whole new game, post invasion, with a new campaign and everything. Seems weird to be fighting two completely separate groups at once. Plus, it seems like a better strategy for EXALT would be to let XCOM drive off the aliens and then take over in the aftermath. Unless the aliens actually are behind EXALT, which I suppose has a decent chance of being true.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fintilgin posted:

The whole EXALT thing almost seems like it would work better as a whole new game, post invasion, with a new campaign and everything. Seems weird to be fighting two completely separate groups at once. Plus, it seems like a better strategy for EXALT would be to let XCOM drive off the aliens and then take over in the aftermath. Unless the aliens actually are behind EXALT, which I suppose has a decent chance of being true.

Wait, so all this stuff they're adding is going to be integrated into the game before the temple ship mission? Is the temple ship still the last mission in the game? This seems like its going to be awfully confusing for first time players.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Away all Goats posted:

Wait, so all this stuff they're adding is going to be integrated into the game before the temple ship mission? Is the temple ship still the last mission in the game? This seems like its going to be awfully confusing for first time players.

Yeah, apparently you're battling two different force simultaneously, but can ignore EXALT if you want to just absorb the sabotage they do to you.

EDIT: I do like the 'Clue' style base hunt they've talked about, but it really seems like it would have been stronger as a fully fleshed out sequel and have left the expansions to forcus on and beef up the aliens. :shobon:

EDIT EDIT: We'll find out in a month!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HaitianDivorce posted:

Pretty sure I've read that MECs are immune to mind control or only get stunned by it. They're basically more badass SHIVs.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Geight posted:

I wonder if MECs will be immune to poison by default?

If anything, I'd think they'd be more susceptible to it. No arms or legs to dilute the poison with extra mass, a weakened immune system to prevent mechanical rejection...

Also, I think you'll get the option for mech implants once you do Floater Autopsies. The fluff in the thing does mention that they're trying to figure out why there's no rejection in the tissue.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Away all Goats posted:

Doesn't appear until over 2 months into the game. That's ~8 or 9 missions at least right there minimum before it shows up. Maybe more? You should have laser weapons and possibly carapace armor by then.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Perhaps in the process of cybernetics enhancements your brain needs to be given a bunch of stuff that makes it immune or extremely resistant to psi attacks inadvertently? I mean seriously, you're going to have a ton of phantom pains and such so these soldiers would likely have to be on some crazy amount of drug cocktails just to get out of bed in the morning let alone take on a bunch of sectoids scampering around at 3 am.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is it just me, or does the infiltrator being held at gunpoint at 1:02 kinda look like he's leaking that black sludge from The Bureau?

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Pre-purchasing this game via Gamefly for their 20% off deal will avail me of a steam code, right?

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Alkydere posted:

Try Thin Men with Damage Roulette. The Thin Man flanks you, your guy hits him but only does 1-2 damage with plasma or laser weapons, then the Thin Man crits you for 12 loving damage.

I can deal with one RNG without getting frustrated, but stacking another on top of that is frustration hell. Damage Roulette is fun for maybe a single game, and then never again.

The idea of that happening is why I have yet to try Damage Roulette. Now I don't think I ever will.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yureina posted:

The idea of that happening is why I have yet to try Damage Roulette. Now I don't think I ever will.

Don't, it's not fun. I just finished my first ever classic run with it.

True, it can be great/hilarious when your guy gets caught out in the open due to terrain destruction but all of their shots bounce off for 1 damage each, but that doesn't make up for the frustration. Especially when you're trying to capture a guy and your dudes keep critting for massive amounts of damage.

The other second wave options, even the punishing ones, are something you can plan for/expect. Damage Roulette is putting an extra layer of RNG frustration on top of the existing RNG.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Is it just me, or does the infiltrator being held at gunpoint at 1:02 kinda look like he's leaking that black sludge from The Bureau?

I really think this is Firaxis/2K shoehorning The Bureau into the proper XCOM universe. Which is totally fine, if it's handled properly.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Heh, that Rev3 video says the Exalt don't just increase panic, they can steal cash or sabotage your research. I have a feeling that completely ignoring them is gonna be tough.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Could just be blood in blue light. But the Exalt medic has an armband and backpack combo that looks strikingly similar to the Bureau agents' gear. (It's not the same thing of course, the armband has normal medical tools on it which itself is a cool identifier.)

I wonder if 2K sent over a bunch of the concept art and reference materials from the two studios working on The Bureau and was like "Can you do us a solid and work in some of this stuff? We know this other game is gonna tank so don't go out of your way to make it canon, but any nods you can give us would be great."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Yureina posted:

You should check out the LP that ended about a month ago. The guys turned damage roulette on and there were at least 2 "gently caress damage roulette" moments per video.

• Locked thread