Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?
My idea of when the titans attacked humans for the first time, is after the invention of the guns the military police use. And since I don't know much about guns, I think it would in the 1700's...? But I'm not sure.

Anyway, does anyone have a link to where I can read the non-canon Levi spin off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Professor Awesome posted:

Also when Hanji's spear-wielding lackeys are talking behind her back they mention her previous Titan test subjects were named Albert and Chikatilo, if the "infamous cannibal/serial killer" naming convention applied to them as well she presumably named them after Albert Fish and Andrei Chikatilo. Those two were only identified and apprehended in 1934 and 1990, respectively, which further suggests "future setting on Earth"

edit: wait, this may have only been in the anime :(

Even if it's in the manga this sort of thing could always just be a meta-joke by the author/whatever.
The whole "medieval fantasy setting that's actually IN THE FUTURE" thing is a boring cliche at this point. Seems like it's the case here but the details don't really matter yet and I'm happy if we don't find out too much more on the subject, personally.

Seems like all the pointy-eared titans also have skin, I wonder if that means anything. Ears are also boring, but skin rules. I love having skin.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Who cares when/where its set? Its like the most inconsequential thing so far when it comes to the mystery of the series and could well be caused by a bad/lazy translation

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Scott Bakula posted:

Its like the most inconsequential thing so far when it comes to the mystery of the series and could well be caused by a bad/lazy translation

With you on the first part, have no idea where you came up with the second bit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Squidster posted:

It's possible that's where Monkey Titan come from. He could have been sitting dormant in those walls, and been awoken by all the hullabaloo.

This probably isn't the case, given that we were actually shown one of the titans in the walls and it looks not-unlike the other human titan-shifters we've seen.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bisensual posted:

My idea of when the titans attacked humans for the first time, is after the invention of the guns the military police use. And since I don't know much about guns, I think it would in the 1700's...? But I'm not sure.

Anyway, does anyone have a link to where I can read the non-canon Levi spin off?

Muzzle-loaded rifles were around for the majority of the 19th Century until breechloaders and cartridge weapons became more common.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Bisensual posted:

Those guns and cannon are deffo mid-19th century caliber, at least

Seriously Safe
Sep 7, 2009
I'm hoping Eren didn't accidentally awaken the titans inside the walls, or the people back home would be in deep poo poo.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Seriously Safe posted:

I'm hoping Eren didn't accidentally awaken the titans inside the walls, or the people back home would be in deep poo poo.

They can't move because they aren't exposed to the sun.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Seriously Safe posted:

That would be so awesome. They get back and :tviv:.

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?

Fister Roboto posted:

Muzzle-loaded rifles were around for the majority of the 19th Century until breechloaders and cartridge weapons became more common.

Thanks. I am not good with guns. I knew someone would know, though. Since technology and culture is predominantly decided by military actions-- and when they realized the guns would not work on Titans they would have had to think of something new-- that's when I figure it must've happened.

But all that is unimportant because no one has linked me to Levi's spin off.

Edit: Thank you.

Bisensual fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 11, 2013

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Bisensual posted:

But all that is unimportant because no one has linked me to Levi's spin off.

Enjoy.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Are the Titans from Attack on Titan Evil?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA-_5Xb0M18

Technically covers only the anime but especially relevant after the latest chapter

Speaking of which...

http://requireshate.wordpress.com/2013/10/08/shingeki-no-eren-first-season-finale/

"Episode twenty-five and the finale of the season contains:

Eren having his head smashed in (again)
Eren having his leg kicked off
Eren failing to defeat Annie (again)

Basically if Mikasa hadn’t stepped in, Annie would have escaped; if Levi hadn’t whirled in to cut Eren out of the titan suit, Eren would’ve been crystallized along with Annie and probably died. In conclusion? Eren, you loving incompetent poo poo. Haha! Serves you right. Yes yes, this is different from the manga and the changes made fanboys froth at the mouth, but who gives a poo poo?

One of the things that came to mind watching Titan is the transformation in Claymore. In the latter, the deal is that everyone who “awakens” into a huge powerful monster loses their humanity and develops an instantaneous craving for human guts. The monster-human hybrid warriors in Claymore are really prone to this, so eventually the creatively named “Organization” decides to go all-female with their warriors based on the idea that women can control their monstrous energy better. The body politics in Claymore is pretty hosed up and there’s a clear horror of female sexuality.

At first glance, a similar outlook appears to be espoused with Eren going berserk in titan form and Annie remaining in perfect control. Fortunately, though they don’t have much role yet, there are three other titan shifters–two other males, one more woman, all of whom are as much in control as Annie. What we see, instead, is just that Eren is really loving poo poo at this titan business compared to the other shifters, who’ve been at it much longer and really know how to control their titan forms.

As I’ve said, Eren has to be basically saved again by other people–Mikasa cuts off Annie’s hands to prevent her escape and Levi cuts Eren out of his titan before Annie’s crystallization can freeze him too. It’s fascinating that the anime doesn’t take the usual shounen route, where if the (usually male) protagonist has enough pluck, rage, or just plain old feelings he’ll win because… well, because. He’ll pull last-minute power-ups out of his rear end and inexplicably defeat opponents who are much more experienced, powerful, or both.

Now, while Eren does pull an inexplicable last-minute power-up out of his rear end–apparently he’s a fire elemental titan now–we’re spared the crucial bit: he doesn’t defeat Annie. The last time he pressed his rage button he couldn’t manage it either, and neither can he this time. Annie’s had years to perfect her titan form, not to mention her martial arts thing, whereas Eren is a typical shounen protagonist: all RAAAAAAARGH and not much else–literally endless roaring is most of the noise he makes in the finale.

Another thing is that while everyone’s yelling at Eren to ditch his humanity already and get on with the titan-killing, Annie never loses hers. She’s always clear-eyed, level-headed, and knows exactly what she’s doing. It’s irritating that the source of her motivation appears to be a man (her dad) but she’s an interesting character who gets a surprising amount of characterization. Even in titan form she has more personality, more character, and more humanity than Eren ever does in whatever shape.

But coming back to Eren and masculinity.

In the forest Eren’s decision not to shift leads to the deaths of most of Levi’s squad. He often goes out of control in titan form; at one point he tries to kill Mikasa, but let’s be real for a minute, I don’t think that’s just the berserk titan thing. Eren has always resented Mikasa: they started with a classic damsel in distress narrative where Eren rescued her as a child and then they killed a bunch of slavers together, but instead of being a meek submissive waif for him to rescue again Mikasa became a stone-cold killer who’s considered one of the most dangerous combatants in the army… and who rescues Eren constantly. He becomes extremely upset every time he realizes she’s saved him, and this has been ongoing since they were children. The narrative of him being the hero who saved a girl who falls in love with him has been disrupted. She does fall in love with him, but gets attached to a degree so creepy that other characters remark on it; there’s a narrative awareness that Mikasa’s emotional codependence on Eren isn’t healthy (did you see her face when she suspects Eren might have any sort of feelings, even platonic, for Annie? She’s this close to shanking him in the face: if she can’t have Eren, no one loving will. Armin, you’re next). Eren meanwhile treats her like poo poo, but it’s obvious that he is scared she will surpass him or one day not need him at all. He also has no personality or depth or motivation beyond KILL ALL TITANS RAAAAARGH.

Eren’s model of masculinity–the brash young man destined for heroism and greatness based on pluck, luck and rage and entitled to the girl of his dreams–is constantly rejected by the narrative.

Erwin’s cool-headed strategies work; Levi’s detached heroism works; Armin’s intelligence really works. Even Jean gets character development that evolves him beyond a whiny poo poo and gets him to a place where he’s a decent, dynamic human being. It’s only really Eren and Mikasa who are stuck in exactly the same place they were when they were about… ten? Scary poo poo, if you think about it. Maybe the author intends this as cautionary against obsession rather than rejecting a particular mode of masculinity, but even Mikasa in her unhealthy, obsessive codependence is still effective in ways that Eren isn’t. Eren doesn’t function very well as a person and he always makes messes that everyone else–Levi, Hanji, Armin, Mikasa–has to clean up. To many of his fellow soldiers he’s only tolerated because of his ability to shift (imagine if Annie had been on their side). In a more stable time, Eren would be put to death right quick and nobody would object to it much except maybe Armin and Mikasa. While many of the peoiple who do want to see him executed anyway are meant to be corrupt greedy assholes, could you see someone like Levi putting up with having someone as unstable and dangerous as Eren around if there weren’t titans to face?

It’s possible that this will all go to poo poo anyway and Eren will turn out to be a formulaic plucky hero who turns out to be right about everything, but I’ll take what I can get until then.

PS THE REAL PROTAGONIST OF THE FIRST SEASON ISN’T EREN, IT’S ANNIE"

That's actually a really interesting observation. Annie's certainly a more interesting character than any of the main three, though it helps that she remains more mysterious at this point than the main three or the other titan shifters.

The rest is mostly the same observations people have been making in this thread for fifty some odd pages though one thing I'll note post-season one is that Eren seems like much more of an rear end in a top hat and Mikasa is much easier to read as unhealthily co-dependent in the anime or in light of the anime and subsequent manga chapters than otherwise.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I would say that's more suited to the anime thread than this one if the whole thing is literally based only on evidence from the anime. But I guess it's still an interesting read. Even if it did have too much "Man, Eren is hot garbage isn't he?"

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
It sort of spoils Bert and Reiner and ymir.

Also +1 for Claymore comparison.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah, it spoils the existence of three other titan-shifters, which, given the anime thread's suspicion of Reiner, we probably don't want to clue them in on. :v:

That was a really good read and I'm sure the "Eren suuuuuuucks" stuff is mostly in jest. I looked through the tags and here's an article they wrote about their first impressions about AoT as well.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Read that article and I have to say I actually agree with alot of if. I think Mikasa's dependence is more one sided. Eren seems to be trying to distance himself from it a bit. I will also say that I always felt Annie was just more relateable. Hell, everyone else in the cast is more relatable than the main three.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 11, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Are we allowed to agree with Requires Hate now? I thought she was one of the people we made fun of in PYF. :v:

She's largely right about AoT, though.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
That article has such a bad grasp on the characters that I have trouble believing it's not just a lovely joke, although it's probably because they seem to have merged the anime and manga into one hot mess of inconsistent characterization.

Also, Eren's main goal has always been seeing the outside world and preventing further loss and pain, his obsession with killing titans is his method of achieving that goal, not the goal itself. I know the story likes to play up the struggle of maintaining your humanity in lovely circumstances but it's not like he just craves genocide for the hell of it. Saying his personality ends with that obsession is a stupid over-simplification of what he's actually about and actively ignores other more interesting aspects of his character.

e: This post sounds angrier than I actually am, but it's still poor analysis.

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 11, 2013

BdaaN
Oct 9, 2013

yellowyams posted:

That article has such a bad grasp on the characters that I have trouble believing it's not just a lovely joke, although it's probably because they seem to have merged the anime and manga into one hot mess of inconsistent characterization.

Also, Eren's main goal has always been seeing the outside world and preventing further loss and pain, his obsession with killing titans is his method of achieving that goal, not the goal itself. I know the story likes to play up the struggle of maintaining your humanity in lovely circumstances but it's not like he just craves genocide for the hell of it. Saying his personality ends with that obsession is a stupid over-simplification of what he's actually about and actively ignores other more interesting aspects of his character.

I agree, this article is pretty bad. Although episode 25 really did mess with Eren's character, but i think it was just to make the ending all that more Epic.

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon

yellowyams posted:

Yeah, Eren has anger issues (because as a child he watched a giant eat his mom and almost everyone else he knew for funsies) but that's because the injustice of being trapped, waiting to be eaten is pretty scary and infuriating. Meanwhile, Annie's never loses her humanity? Ahaha, yeah, okay all those people she sadistically slaughtered because they got in they way of her kidnapping plot would probably disagree that Eren is more of monster because... he roars?

As a Titan Eren's an unstable ragebeast because he's inexperienced and can't properly channel his aggression but his goal is to defeat apparently-mindless monsters who are now a wall away from wiping out humanity. Annie has proven herself a sadistic killer who is still willingly allied with the faction responsible for the mass murder of god knows how many people, who attempted to kidnap Erin all the while massacring everyone who doesn't want that to happen. Eren sometimes does lovely things because he has trouble not letting the Titan take over, Annie constantly does lovely things despite apparently being in full control of her meatmech. I don't get how her characterization is better than anyone else's or how she's the real protagonist because all I really know about her so far is she has daddy issues, seems to enjoy squashing the Survey Corps, and she wants to steal Eren because reasons. She was a background character who disappeared into the MPs for a large portion of the story prior to her reveal as a shifter and since her defeat shortly thereafter she's been stuck in a basement somewhere, not exactly what I'd consider a well-fleshed protagonist :(

I eats my spinach fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 11, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Yeah, Eren has anger issues (because as a child he watched a giant eat his mom and almost everyone else he knew for funsies) but that's because the injustice of being trapped, waiting to be eaten is pretty scary and infuriating. Meanwhile, Annie's the protagonist because she never loses her humanity? Ahaha, yeah, okay all those people she sadistically slaughtered because they got in they way of her kidnapping plot would probably disagree that Eren is worse because... he roars?

Eren's an unstable ragebeast who's inexperienced and can't properly channel his aggression but his goal is to defeat apparently-mindless monsters who are now a wall away from wiping out humanity. Annie is a sadistic killer who is still willingly allied with the faction responsible for the mass murder of god knows how many people, and then was tasked with kidnapping Erin while killing everyone who doesn't want that to happen. Eren sometimes does lovely things because he has trouble not letting the Titan take over, Annie constantly does lovely things despite apparently being in full control of her meatmech. How are her actions better in any way?

Not that I don't agree with you, but Eren had Problems with a capital P even before the Momeater ate Mom.

Of course, it's highly likely that Mom getting eaten didn't make things any better.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Yeah, Eren has anger issues (because as a child he watched a giant eat his mom and almost everyone else he knew for funsies) but that's because the injustice of being trapped, waiting to be eaten is pretty scary and infuriating. Meanwhile, Annie's the protagonist because she never loses her humanity? Ahaha, yeah, okay all those people she sadistically slaughtered because they got in they way of her kidnapping plot would probably disagree that Eren is worse because... he roars?

Eren's an unstable ragebeast who's inexperienced and can't properly channel his aggression but his goal is to defeat apparently-mindless monsters who are now a wall away from wiping out humanity. Annie is a sadistic killer who is still willingly allied with the faction responsible for the mass murder of god knows how many people, and then was tasked with kidnapping Erin while killing everyone who doesn't want that to happen. Eren sometimes does lovely things because he has trouble not letting the Titan take over, Annie constantly does lovely things despite apparently being in full control of her meatmech. How are her actions better in any way?

It's precisely because she deliberately kills people. She has come far closer than Eren or Reiner to achieving the state of mind that Auden calls "the conscious acceptance of guilt in the necessary murder."[/devilsadvocate]

Edit: I take back what I said about Requires Hate being "largely right about AoT."

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 11, 2013

BdaaN
Oct 9, 2013

As a Titan Eren's an unstable ragebeast because he's inexperienced and can't properly channel his aggression but his goal is to defeat apparently-mindless monsters who are now a wall away from wiping out humanity. Annie has proven herself a sadistic killer who is still willingly allied with the faction responsible for the mass murder of god knows how many people, who attempted to kidnap Erin all the while massacring everyone who doesn't want that to happen. Eren sometimes does lovely things because he has trouble not letting the Titan take over, Annie constantly does lovely things despite apparently being in full control of her meatmech. I don't get how her characterization is better than anyone else's or how she's the real protagonist, because all I really know about her so far is she has daddy issues, seems to enjoy squashing the Survey Corps, and she wants to steal Eren because reasons. She disappeared into the MPs for a huge portion of the story prior to the wall reveal and in the manga she's still in a basement somewhere

I really don't think he has that big of Anger Issues as everyone thinks. He's never really been a ragebeast apart from when he first became a titan which he had no control and the 2nd fight with Annie which was only in the Anime. I think the Anime ending made Eren look a lot more crazy then he really is.

BdaaN fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 11, 2013

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Not that I don't agree with you, but Eren had Problems with a capital P even before the Momeater ate Mom.

Oh yeah, definitely. Eren's flaws are why I like him and I also appreciate that the article defended Annie when I've seen a lot of people hate on her because she did some pretty awful things, but I do actually think she's one of the more interesting characters, it's just... the person who wrote that either didn't have good reading skills or else was talking more about the anime which took certain character arcs in the complete opposite direction. And I guess I'm pretty tired of people reducing Eren's motivation to titan-killing and nothing else (and also making GBS threads on Mikasa but I'm not ready for that argument tonight).

BdaaN posted:

As for the making GBS threads on Mikasa shes just really overprotective and it bothers him because he wants to be the one to protect, not the protected. Theres a lot of examples i could give you but i don't want to spoil it for people who haven't read the manga.

I was actually talking about the article making GBS threads on Mikasa but I phrased it kind of poorly, sorry. On that note though, I think it's pretty apparent he does care about Mikasa even before chapter 50 considering he actively tried to persuade her into joining the military police so she'd be safe, just further proof the writer couldn't read for poo poo.

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 11, 2013

BdaaN
Oct 9, 2013

yellowyams posted:

Oh yeah, definitely. Eren's flaws are why I like him and I also appreciate that the article defended Annie when I've seen a lot of people hate on her because she did some pretty awful things, but I do actually think she's one of the more interesting characters, it's just... the person who wrote that either didn't have good reading skills or else was talking more about the anime which took certain character arcs in the complete opposite direction. And I guess I'm pretty tired of people reducing Eren's motivation to titan-killing and nothing else (and also making GBS threads on Mikasa but I'm not ready for that argument tonight).

It's pretty clear his only motives are more than tian killing or else he wouldn't of put his faith into Levi Squad and would of just gone berserk. As for the making GBS threads on Mikasa shes just really overprotective and it bothers him because he wants to be the one to protect, not the protected. Theres a lot of examples i could give you but i don't want to spoil it for people who haven't read the manga.

BdaaN fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 11, 2013

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

BdaaN posted:

I really don't think he has that big of Anger Issues as everyone thinks. He's never really been a ragebeast apart from when he first became a titan which he had no control and the 2nd fight with Annie which was only in the Anime. I think the Anime ending made Eren look a lot more crazy then he really is.

Before we make any rash statements like "Eren isn't that crazy", let me remind you about the savage dogs he put down in the woods years before Chuckles shows up.

Totally agree about the anime ending, though. It does seem like the studio chose to sacrifice some character development for Eren in exchange for super sayian action.

I dunno if it was mentioned, but the animation studio is the same one that did Deathnote, and they made use of lots of lightning and fire effects to illustrate tension in a story that's mostly talking and no fights. It could be that the fire was there symbolically, and Eren is in fact not a firebender or sayian in addition to being a titan

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

BdaaN posted:

BdaaN posted:

Theres a lot of examples i could give you but i don't want to spoil it for people who haven't read the manga.

This isn't the anime thread, spoil away.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 15, 2013

BdaaN
Oct 9, 2013

visceril posted:

Before we make any rash statements like "Eren isn't that crazy", let me remind you about the savage dogs he put down in the woods years before Chuckles shows up.

Totally agree about the anime ending, though. It does seem like the studio chose to sacrifice some character development for Eren in exchange for super sayian action.

I dunno if it was mentioned, but the animation studio is the same one that did Deathnote, and they made use of lots of lightning and fire effects to illustrate tension in a story that's mostly talking and no fights. It could be that the fire was there symbolically, and Eren is in fact not a firebender or sayian in addition to being a titan

I never really looked at him being crazy. He hates those that deny life, Titans and in that case the kidnappers, So he carried out his own sense of justice. The anime ending really put a massive blow into Eren's character. I watched the anime ending before reading the manga and the annie fight is huge for eren's character development.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The best and most interesting thing in that article, and what I liked about it, is the observation that so far, the narrative has completely gone against the "brash young man destined for heroism and greatness based on pluck, luck and rage and entitled to the girl of his dreams" thing that you see in so many other places (and, on a personal note, I really hope the peak of Eren's character development isn't him defending Mikasa in some way). The Annie stuff is a bit dumb, but understandable given that the author seems to be primarily an anime-viewer.

BdaaN posted:

I never really looked at him being crazy. He hates those that deny life, Titans and in that case the kidnappers, So he carried out his own sense of justice. The anime ending really put a massive blow into Eren's character. I watched the anime ending before reading the manga and the annie fight is huge for eren's character development.
How is a ten year old killing two guys and then denying their humanity just not a little unhinged? I mean, I'm fine with Eren's character too, but dude needs to chill.

BdaaN
Oct 9, 2013

Autumncomet posted:

The best and most interesting thing in that article, and what I liked about it, is the observation that so far, the narrative has completely gone against the "brash young man destined for heroism and greatness based on pluck, luck and rage and entitled to the girl of his dreams" thing that you see in so many other places (and, on a personal note, I really hope the peak of Eren's character development isn't him defending Mikasa in some way). The Annie stuff is a bit dumb, but understandable given that the author seems to be primarily an anime-viewer.

How is a ten year old killing two guys and then denying their humanity just not a little unhinged? I mean, I'm fine with Eren's character too, but dude needs to chill.

I'm not saying that he is all there, just saying he's not as crazy as people say he is and how the anime ending made him look.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Eren has a lot of pride, even before the initial attack Eren found the current state of humanity trapped behind walls cowering from an existential threat and behaving like everything is ok to be humilating and it infuriated him. He idolized the scouting legion. And he could never back down from a fight against other kids. Having his mother die in front of his eyes deepened and solidified his hatred of titans. But he is not consumed by uncontrolable rage. He has been shown repeatedly to be a team player and to follow orders when given.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
People always bring up that scene where he met Mikasa but I don't think it's fair to condemn him for that considering the fictional world they live in has very different circumstances from ours and the moral code isn't entirely comparable to our own. Plus either he would have died if he hadn't killed them or else Mikasa would have been sold off. I think the deaths of three criminals who were literally selling children isn't nearly as bad in comparison but :can:

The way he went about it was definitely creepy and eerily manipulative for a nine-year-old though.

Anyway, that's actually the most brutal we've ever seen him and, in the comic at least, he's become progressively more human as time went on and has been shown to actually change his world view. When he starts out in the military he considers people who want to join the MP to save their own asses garbage but then becomes friends with Annie and towards the end of the time skip is openly supportive of her and Marco's decision. When Hange talks about the titan experiments he's baffled as to how anyone could be calm enough to study these awful creatures instead of just killing them outright but then decides to ask questions and learn about it so that maybe he can come to understand their true nature. Even though he brutally killed those criminals when he was a kid and is apparently obsessed with slaughtering all titans, once he learns what Annie is he struggles to reconcile her humanity with what she did and goes into such deep denial that, even with 100% proof he refuses to fight her until Mikasa and Armin actually have to threaten him with their own deaths.

This got pretty defensive, to be clear I still think he's a little poo poo and constantly lets his emotions get the better of him and has like a million flaws which is why I like him but I guess my point is that he's not the same character as when he was nine and that scene gets misused a lot.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I mean, that scene is just kind of disturbing on a visceral level, you know? It's one thing to murder the guys because Mikasa is in danger. It's another to stab them repeatedly and claim they weren't even human afterwards. He has gotten better though. I'm just kind of worried for him because (and maybe this is the anime clouding my recollection, I need to do a reread) the whole "throwing away your humanity" thing keeps getting brought up by Armin and Erwin, with Jean opposed to that idea, and I don't want Eren or Mikasa to go off the deep end. :ohdear:

edit: I'm glad he (and Mikasa) were still struggling to fight Annie, Reiner, and Bert though. I'd be worried if they weren't.

BdaaN
Oct 9, 2013

Autumncomet posted:

I mean, that scene is just kind of disturbing on a visceral level, you know? It's one thing to murder the guys because Mikasa is in danger. It's another to stab them repeatedly and claim they weren't even human afterwards. He has gotten better though. I'm just kind of worried for him because (and maybe this is the anime clouding my recollection, I need to do a reread) the whole "throwing away your humanity" thing keeps getting brought up by Armin and Erwin, with Jean opposed to that idea, and I don't want Eren or Mikasa to go off the deep end. :ohdear:

They don't ever bring up the throwing away your humanity to defeat the tiants in the manga. It's purley to support his fire rage titan mode. When the anime continues we probably won't see anymore fire titan or berserk eren trying to eat people. They added the Jean and Armin conversation to steer away from that when they pick it up again.

BdaaN fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 11, 2013

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

yellowyams posted:

People always bring up that scene where he met Mikasa but I don't think it's fair to condemn him for that considering the fictional world they live in has very different circumstances from ours and the moral code isn't entirely comparable to our own. Plus either he would have died if he hadn't killed them or else Mikasa would have been sold off. I think the deaths of three criminals who were literally selling children isn't nearly as bad in comparison but :can:

The way he went about it was definitely creepy and eerily manipulative for a nine-year-old though.

Anyway, that's actually the most brutal we've ever seen him and, in the comic at least, he's become progressively more human as time went on and has been shown to actually change his world view. When he starts out in the military he considers people who want to join the MP to save their own asses garbage but then becomes friends with Annie and towards the end of the time skip is openly supportive of her and Marco's decision. When Hange talks about the titan experiments he's baffled as to how anyone could be calm enough to study these awful creatures instead of just killing them outright but then decides to ask questions and learn about it so that maybe he can come to understand their true nature. Even though he brutally killed those criminals when he was a kid and is apparently obsessed with slaughtering all titans, once he learns what Annie is he struggles to reconcile her humanity with what she did and goes into such deep denial that, even with 100% proof he refuses to fight her until Mikasa and Armin actually have to threaten him with their own deaths.

This got pretty defensive, to be clear I still think he's a little poo poo and constantly lets his emotions get the better of him and has like a million flaws which is why I like him but I guess my point is that he's not the same character as when he was nine and that scene gets misused a lot.

Talking about character development, I think Eren is characteristic of the typical person who would normally go scouting legion before the wall attacks began. We haven't seen much backstory for the rest of the scouting legion so there is not much to go on but Hange, for instance, was as blood thirsty as Eren is now when she started out but she mellowed over time. The sniffing guy, can't remember his name, gave a little speech I think would resonate with Eren about humanity not having a future if we don't act and fight back. There was a mook early on Levi saved from a titan's jaws before dying who desperately wanted to know that he made a contribution to the fight against titans before finally expiring. Even stoic Levi has expressed his loathing of titans through monologue while killing a couple of them.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

That scene Eren kills the two bandits is about showing how traumatic of a childhood Eren and Mikasa had, and the fact they're both capable of exceptional cruelty when called for it. But beyond that, I get the feeling also the scene is about the recurring theme of Eren being willing to throw his life away without thinking, and Mikasa's recurring desire for a family.

Eren really can't be willing to throw his life away anymore. He's too important, he's literally the messiah after Chapter 50. Other characters constantly point this out too.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 11, 2013

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BdaaN posted:

It's pretty clear his only motives are more than tian killing or else he wouldn't of put his faith into Levi Squad and would of just gone berserk. As for the making GBS threads on Mikasa shes just really overprotective and it bothers him because he wants to be the one to protect, not the protected. Theres a lot of examples i could give you but i don't want to spoil it for people who haven't read the manga.

Yeah, no. Eren is an abusive little poo poo and has been for a long time and Mikasa is text book co-dependent with a side of bunny boiler on top. I wish I had time to re-read everything and count the times he angrily dismisses her or literally pushes her around, he flips out on her or Armin at seemingly the slightest poo poo.

I mean jesus gently caress:

even when they are seemingly about to die and she's opening up to him, telling him how much he has meant to her his reaction is once again to physically push her aside and dismiss her feelings.

He's damaged goods and I don't think it can all be excused away with "oh he saw his mom get eaten". I don't expect a 15 year old to be a paragon of good sense but he goes way above "was a little cranky that day".

He's not a very likable protagonist at all, not that I think he needs to be to make for a good story.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 11, 2013

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Autumncomet posted:

edit: I'm glad he (and Mikasa) were still struggling to fight Annie, Reiner, and Bert though. I'd be worried if they weren't.

The concept of throwing away your humanity is something that's mostly been kept to Armin and Erwin in the comic although it is a larger theme in the work itself but I wouldn't say it's either praised or condemned. There's a scene in chapter 27 I think, where both Jean and Eren reject the "ends justify the means" mentality which is part of why I was kind of taken aback when the anime had Eren agree with Armin's bullshit reasoning even though he'd been shown to have moved on from it.

The fact that Isayama didn't step in and say "Hey guys, this is kind of the complete opposite of what I was doing with this character" worries me a little though. I actually think Isayama's writing is kind of spotty and him reversing a character arc to what it was before growth wouldn't surprise me... but I sure hope he doesn't.

Also, it's fine if you were viscerally upset by that scene because it's a viscerally upsetting scene. It's just not entirely indicative of where Eren is as a character right now. There's also still a lot of things we don't know, it's completely possible that some poo poo was going on with Grisha that we haven't seen that would change how we perceive the characters. But we can only make judgments based on what we already know.

MeLKoR posted:

even when they are seemingly about to die and she's opening up to him, telling him how much he has meant to her his reaction is once again to physically push her aside and dismiss her feelings.
He wasn't pushing her aside that swishy movement was meant to indicate he stood up, oh my god. Btw, he stood up to face the titan so maybe they both wouldn't loving die. He was comforting her by reiterating what he told her when they first met through his actions. Come on...

e: you know what, I'm just gonna go ahead and move this to down here because the placement in that sentence made it sound pretty douchey admittedly but ザ is a sound effect more appropriate for standing up and doesn't indicate the impact of a shove. i'm sorry if people thought I was expecting them to know that, it wasn't my intention

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think you missed the point of that scene.

"I'm gonna wrap the scarf on you as many times as I need to". She was cold, so he gave her the warmth of his scarf. How Mikasa saw it back then was she didn't know how to live, and Eren showed her how to. In that scene, she's giving up. Mikasa is telling him what's been on her mind before they die. Eren only rejects her feelings of defeat. He's going to bring back her hope, and he's always going to do that.

It may be a rejection of her feelings for him (maybe?) but he's certainly not being cold. Check page 28 too, Armin is right there with him.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 11, 2013