Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

odark thirty posted:

I had a good evenly matched round of obliteration last night and finally put down my preorder money. Our team lost 1-3 but we managed to disarm the last bomb twice and I spent about 5 minutes piloting one transport chopper with a full crew raining death upon the enemy. It was incredible to see bomb carriers actually jumping into vehicles for rides to the objectives. Granted that was after half a round of people trying to swim the bomb across the bay, but still impressive. I can definitely see myself playing more obliteration than conquest in the full game, Dice really knocked it out of the park with that mode.

Going into BF4 beta I anticipated I wouldn't really be playing anything but conquest, but I've actually had a lot of fun with obliteration. Everyone is so focused on killing the person holding the bomb that it becomes almost comically easy to get airburst kills too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchy Smurf
Mar 12, 2012

"Interesting Quote"
-Interesting guy
Apparently if the bomb spawns on the skyscraper as it collapses, you end up with a bomb hanging 250 meters in the air, which means that the game turns into a sniper-fest.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

Captain Beans posted:

Anyone got deal with it dog active on their profile to link?

I tried making my own but it looks like poo poo :(

I would be super grateful for this as well

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Turra posted:

I would be super grateful for this as well

I'll keep Mr.Citrus's version as my default for a couple hours.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Can you dive while swimming? How do you do it?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Trisk posted:

Can you dive while swimming? How do you do it?

Crouch [hold by default] or prone [toggle].

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Alehkhs posted:

Crouch [hold by default] or prone [toggle].

you can also use the toggle key for crouch, works just like the prone toggle.
I was hoping for a bit of maneuvering underwater but I'll take hiding from bullets any day.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Perestroika posted:

I've been toying around with the Stinger a little and while the damage is indeed a bit disappointing, I've found that the very quick lockon tends to make up for it. I've been able to send three missiles after a havoc before it could manage to fly the distance from E to D, all while it was still recharging flares. Similarly, it's very doable to just pull it out and pop off a shot if you unexpectedly happen upon a chopper close by or out of flares. It's already working pretty well on Shanghai with all the cover, so I imagine on a more open map it'd be pretty amazing.
I've killed many a helicopter with the Stinger simply because each hit will knock out the helicopter's engines and it's hilarious when you hit them when they're maneuvering hard so they suddenly lose most of their mobility and slam straight into a building or ground. Too bad for whatever reason this doesn't grant you a kill with the Stinger which I hope they change in the full game. The other thing that is great is that with the increased missile speed if you ambush and engage the helicopter within 100m or so you'll usually hit them before they have a chance to pop flares which owns.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
i'm a engineer veteran, it say if i get engineer expert i'll unlock the UMP-9. will i actually get it if i manage to grind this bullshit or is it not in the game?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Has anyone used the stealth instead of quick hit recovery on the attack chopper? How long does it increase the lock on time?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Hey do you like emblems? I like emblems! I spent some time recreating Total War: Rome II's Carthage faction icon because I dig its style. Here's how it looks.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I'm a engineer veteran, it say if i get engineer expert i'll unlock the UMP-9. will i actually get it if i manage to grind this bullshit or is it not in the game?

Whatever is in the game is listed in the stats page on battle log. I got carbine master or whatever, and it unlocked a new camo for the guns but it's not even listed under the camo selection. So I am guessing UMP is not in the game as well.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Alehkhs posted:

I'll keep Mr.Citrus's version as my default for a couple hours.

This guy right here is a cool dude.

thanks

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So the patch yesterday went a long way to making the game much more playable. I played a match before work yesterday and was in the top 5, then a match after work where I came in second place out of 60 people. Getting access to the AK5C also makes a huge difference.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Ump 9 and Ump 45 is in the full game

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

error
Origin could not get code (-5df70000): Base proxy error. You shouldn't get this error.

So what is that error, Origin?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I really hate how useless error messages are these days. At least give me an error message code or something so I can go report about it/look it up.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of emblems, will they be carried over from beta to release? Since it's all on battlelog I'd expect that to be the case, but then again :dice:

Anyways, I made a PS2 Vanu emblem, so if anybody wants to grab it (though it's not like that'd be difficult to recreate :v:):

72o
Dec 14, 2007

I did my best :/

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

72o posted:

So did the woman who restored the mural. :v:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

keyframe posted:

Whatever is in the game is listed in the stats page on battle log. I got carbine master or whatever, and it unlocked a new camo for the guns but it's not even listed under the camo selection. So I am guessing UMP is not in the game as well.

was it Ripple camo or that other one thats called something like R2D2420 Blue

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

keyframe posted:

All the assignment camos only work on transports for some reason.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
So as someone who likes more slower paced 'tactical shooters' is this game worth a shot or is it a very CODesque type of game?

I played BF2 for years and never went to BF3 because I did not see Project Reality or Forgotten Hope get ported over.

I don't know if I am just becoming a bitter old man but I am getting burnt out of all the twitch shooters.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Enigma89 posted:

So as someone who likes more slower paced 'tactical shooters' is this game worth a shot or is it a very CODesque type of game?

I played BF2 for years and never went to BF3 because I did not see Project Reality or Forgotten Hope get ported over.

I don't know if I am just becoming a bitter old man but I am getting burnt out of all the twitch shooters.

If you weren't interested in BF3 you won't be interested in this. Come play arma with goons instead.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

72o posted:

I don't know what art is, but that is definitely art.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Enigma89 posted:

You probably won't like it. Try ARMA or Red Orchestra.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Insert name here posted:

I've killed many a helicopter with the Stinger simply because each hit will knock out the helicopter's engines and it's hilarious when you hit them when they're maneuvering hard so they suddenly lose most of their mobility and slam straight into a building or ground. Too bad for whatever reason this doesn't grant you a kill with the Stinger which I hope they change in the full game. The other thing that is great is that with the increased missile speed if you ambush and engage the helicopter within 100m or so you'll usually hit them before they have a chance to pop flares which owns.

I really hope that it is changed. I have 1 kill with the stinger listed, but I have shot down at least 5 helicopters. Just because my hit didn't blow them up immediately doesn't mean I wasn't the one that caused them to crash into a building and explode a second after my missile hit.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

CHAOS DUNK!

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant
Godamn it :dice: cthulu must be appeased with more tenticles and wings!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Enigma89 posted:

Just play the free open beta that is happening right now and decide for yourself

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
So, speaking of sharing emblems and such, would anyone find me continuing to work on this to be worthwhile?

EDIT: Currently I have it so only I can edit (you can comment as viewers, however), but can you guys view/copy the codes by mousing-over as viewers?

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 12, 2013

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I took a shot at the XCOM badge

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/PropagandaHourly/stats/389338450/pc/

Alehkhs posted:

So, speaking of sharing emblems and such, would anyone find me continuing to work on this to be worthwhile?

EDIT: Currently I have it so only I can edit, but can you guys view/copy the codes by mousing-over as viewers?

Keep going, and yes I can drag-select everything in the hover over block and copy it no problem.

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 11, 2013

Jalapeno0
Mar 9, 2013

Alehkhs posted:

Wow, Alehkhs! I think it would definitely worthwhile, great idea and thank you!

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Alehkhs posted:

EDIT: Currently I have it so only I can edit, but can you guys view/copy the codes by mousing-over as viewers?

That's a great idea, can you add this one?

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/TornAvulsion/stats/399174810/pc/

edit: can you use that script to add more than 20 layers to an emblem?
edit2: yes, but it won't save :(

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 11, 2013

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Add every emblem but especially that XCOM one, it's a thing of beauty!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Alehkhs posted:

EDIT: Currently I have it so only I can edit (you can comment as viewers, however), but can you guys view/copy the codes by mousing-over as viewers?

Goon among goons. Somebody add this to the OP!

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Propaganda Hour posted:

I took a shot at the XCOM badge

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/PropagandaHourly/stats/389338450/pc/

Keep going, and yes I can drag-select everything in the hover over block and copy it no problem.
loving yes XCOM. I love you guys.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

numptyboy posted:

Godamn it :dice: cthulu must be appeased with more tenticles and wings!

Maybe you could take the anuses out of his eyes to free up two objects.

fake ed: just playin, it looks cool. So does that XCOM one

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So are these totally rad goon-made emblems going to be like gang tattoos? In that, if one ever sees a non-goon wearing one we pin him down in the showers and scrub it off with a shiv?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Alehkhs posted:

That is amazing, and yes I can copy. You can Ctrl+A/Ctrl+C while mousing-over to select all/copy which is nice.

• Locked thread