Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

extra stout posted:

I know some of you are in the know about getting autographs done personally through the mail, is there any chance Whitey Ford is on that generous-guy list? And would any of you know the best way to work on a cheap collection of Whitey Ford/Mickey Mantle cards? Ebay is hell and full of fakes and I don't want anything rare, just some more old pictures for my desk basically. Right now I've just got a handful of cards I collected as a kid and put into storage, my favorite being a Topps 150 '67 Mantle.

Looking at the Through the mail manager, Looks like whitey ford charges anywhere from 20-40 dollars per item(its a donation*). and even then sometimes they just take the money and you dont get an item.

http://www.sportscardforum.com/ttm.php?do=listp&pl=1800&sp=2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

extra stout posted:

I know some of you are in the know about getting autographs done personally through the mail, is there any chance Whitey Ford is on that generous-guy list? And would any of you know the best way to work on a cheap collection of Whitey Ford/Mickey Mantle cards? Ebay is hell and full of fakes and I don't want anything rare, just some more old pictures for my desk basically. Right now I've just got a handful of cards I collected as a kid and put into storage, my favorite being a Topps 150 '67 Mantle.

Beckett Marketplace has some reasonable stuff. Throw in shipping charges with that, of course. It's been years since I've used it, but I've always had good luck buying there. If you really want cheap stuff, there's bound to be a bunch of modern inserts and Topps did a few glossy sets of reprints.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Those are both great sites, thanks. Hard to believe Wade Boggs does autographs for five dollars. It's kind of him but sort of depressing at the same time. The amount of cards, baseballs and dollars that Whitey doesn't mail back is also kind of depressing. On an unrelated note, if any of you have any sort of pictures of items from Roger Maris, Whitey or Mickey feel free to post them. I'd post a picture of my '67 Mantle but I think it's a common one and it's pretty busted so I'd rather just keep gawking at some of your collections in this thread.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Wade Boggs raises a bunch of money for a children's hospital by signing TTM for a reasonable fee. Most people send him $10+, but I think he'll sign for pretty much anything.

Whitey Ford is a consistent return if you send him $40 per, though you can sometimes get him once for less or even free if you want to take a shot and send a nice letter with cash instead of check.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

extra stout posted:

To your second question, COMC is probably your best bet. You can buy cards over time (week, month, year) from around 3k sellers and ship whenever you want for only $3.
Whitey Ford
Mickey Mantle

Full disclosure: I work at COMC :)

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I've found COMC to be useful when I need a certain card, especially a certain modern shiny card, or for when I'm putting in a bulk order to send a bunch of TTM or something, but frankly the prices on vintage stars like Ford or Mantle absolutely stink compared to eBay or the smaller auction houses for the most part, and also a lot of stuff just isn't on there.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

jeffersonlives posted:

I've found COMC to be useful when I need a certain card, especially a certain modern shiny card, or for when I'm putting in a bulk order to send a bunch of TTM or something, but frankly the prices on vintage stars like Ford or Mantle absolutely stink compared to eBay or the smaller auction houses for the most part, and also a lot of stuff just isn't on there.

You should take advantage of being able to send offers.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

theacox posted:

You should take advantage of being able to send offers.

I've done that a couple times, but whether at a show, with eBay BINs, or on a site like COMC, if the seller has a price tag that's triple or quadruple market value, generally my feeling is it isn't worth sending in an offer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I use Sportlots.com a lot for common cards to get signed at minor league games.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

In "new stuff I got news," here's a cool thing I got in the other day (apologies as always for mediocre scanning):

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I use Sportlots.com a lot for common cards to get signed at minor league games.

I've been using sportlots a bit for the first time the last few months to fill sets. I also sell some on there. It's not a lot, but at least I get some income for the things that I normally wouldn't be able to sell.

jeffersonlives posted:

In "new stuff I got news," here's a cool thing I got in the other day (apologies as always for mediocre scanning):

Whoa, that's pretty cool.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YASIEL-PUIG...=item2ecab22230

:psypop:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah good luck with that...even Strasburg didn't haul in that much I don't think. Or Harper for that matter.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah good luck with that...even Strasburg didn't haul in that much I don't think. Or Harper for that matter.

Even so, that card will bring an amazing number, whether we get proof of sale online or not.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

theacox posted:

Even so, that card will bring an amazing number, whether we get proof of sale online or not.

Looks like he just upped the price.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

anotherblownsave posted:

Looks like he just upped the price.

Well gently caress. I don't know what to think about that.

Maybe he was getting offers somewhat close to $20K and bumped it up? I have no idea.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

At either price he's basically using eBay as his personal museum, I wouldn't read anything into anything.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Annnnnnd now the listing has been pulled.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

anotherblownsave posted:

Annnnnnd now the listing has been pulled.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were able to use ebay to advertise and then sell it offsite. Imagine the fees for an ebay sale, even at half that price.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The maximum eBay final value fee is $250.00, which is lower than I expected.

eviLduke
Jul 5, 2006

cardsharkbreaks.net
I hope no one minds using this thread for football/other sports cards. There isn't another thread and I don't think it deserves it's own. Pulled this little guy out of Prestige 2012 1/5! Also have acquired a Favre with the super bowl "XXVI" stamp on it, and a #1 Pafko for the baseball guys!

Anyone who wants to join a 2013 Playbook break next week Friday, I put it up on the website! PM me if you want more info, $45/drafted card and I have extended free shipping with "goon" code for you guys. You won't find it cheaper! I can't wait to check out any dirty patches and hand-drawn plays! Just make sure you're available to pick your card(s) immediately after the break.

eviLduke fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 1, 2013

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Holy table breaking...

In any event, is it just me, or is there some sort of logo indentation in the top right corner of that Farve card? Can you make out what that is?

[e] Oh, it would help if I fully read your post... you already said it was a Superbowl stamp...

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Anyone here ever collected 1993 Finest refractors? Those were like the halcyon cards of my youth and I'm thinking about starting to piece together the set, they still look so cool and the checklist has almost all of my favorites.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

jeffersonlives posted:

Anyone here ever collected 1993 Finest refractors? Those were like the halcyon cards of my youth and I'm thinking about starting to piece together the set, they still look so cool and the checklist has almost all of my favorites.

Apparently I left the hobby about a month before they came out. There has been a lot of talk about them with the retro ones coming out in 2013 Finest today that look really cool. I've never actually seen a '93 in person, though so it's hard for me to judge. Good luck with your potential set!

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

Always wanted one but never picked one up. I've seen them, though, and they're pretty cards. One of the most iconic sets of the 90s and probably ever.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

I think some of these can get expensive.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think some of these can get expensive.

Commons are running 10-20 bucks raw these days, stars/HOFers mostly from 25-50, but there are some cards that have condition or scarcity issues that drive prices higher than that up to a couple hundred. It would be a long-term project, picking up a 20 buck card every now and again isn't a big deal; I mean, hell, it's a similar but a little lesser price scope as T206s except the set is a third the size and actually completable, and I collect those. In raw or PSA 8 type grades I think this is doable.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

Commons are running 10-20 bucks raw these days, stars/HOFers mostly from 25-50, but there are some cards that have condition or scarcity issues that drive prices higher than that up to a couple hundred. It would be a long-term project, picking up a 20 buck card every now and again isn't a big deal; I mean, hell, it's a similar but a little lesser price scope as T206s except the set is a third the size and actually completable, and I collect those. In raw or PSA 8 type grades I think this is doable.

That sounds low to me. I generally see commons going for 20-40, semi-stars from 40-100, and stars at 100-300. I don't watch them too closely, but that's the sense i get.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Ghumbs posted:

That sounds low to me. I generally see commons going for 20-40, semi-stars from 40-100, and stars at 100-300. I don't watch them too closely, but that's the sense i get.

The actual completed auction sale prices are below that if you're patient and let the set come to you (at least until you hit the higher end cards), I think, but there are a heck of a lot of them sitting up there with higher BINs for the person who just wants them now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bill Mastro admits in federal court that he trimmed the famous T206 Honus Wagner that recently sold for $2.8 million. He's also going to federal prison for 5 years for mail fraud.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/mastro-admits-cutting-honus-card-article-1.1482098

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Has Mastro not been photographed since 1989 or something? I've been seeing that picture over and over for at least 10 years.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Topps Redemption Story #:Infinity

This came yesterday.

e: Sorry about your drat tables.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Shouldn't PSA have figured out that the card was trimmed when they graded it?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

theacox posted:

Topps Redemption Story #:Infinity

This came yesterday.

e: Sorry about your drat tables.

So did this:

:smug:

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

goddam that's nice!

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Beautiful card! :argh:

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

ElwoodCuse posted:

Shouldn't PSA have figured out that the card was trimmed when they graded it?

The guy who examined the card (Bill Hughes) almost certainly knew it was trimmed. He says he didn't, but come on.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

ChampRamp posted:

The guy who examined the card (Bill Hughes) almost certainly knew it was trimmed. He says he didn't, but come on.

If you haven't, check out haulsofshame.com. If you believed authenticators were on the level, you won't if you believe half of that site.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The Wagner is technically not trimmed, it's sheet cut. Giving it a numerical grade isn't totally out of line - you can get a numeric grade in that situation - but they lied about it being sheet cut for 20 years (although everyone in the hobby has known it was trimmed since the mid-late 90s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

theacox posted:

If you haven't, check out haulsofshame.com. If you believed authenticators were on the level, you won't if you believe half of that site.

I bought a PSA 10 Mariano Rivera rookie on eBay and it's got a very obvious printing spot on the front. No way they could have missed it.

• Locked thread