Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, I completely blanked on the leg condition. Thanks. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Oxxidation posted:

So this is basically going to be the Worst Day for Duane. He woke up from a dream where he got to watch his daughter die again, finds himself with an unconscious Sette and a dead half-eaten guy, knows that both are his fault, is about to engage in a zany cover-up to get out of the love hotel before the cleaners find the mess, and when he finally manages to limp out of there on his shattered leg, he's going to find out that he is, technically, in Cresce.

Man, it's been almost a year in real-time since he first went to sleep.

He may think it's his fault, but it's really Sette's.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
New chapter has finally begun. Looks to be some kind of parade

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

DarklyDreaming posted:

New chapter has finally begun. Looks to be some kind of parade

More like a military mobilization.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Likin' Lt. Elka here. A fun, down-to-earth character - nice to get back to after all that Khert nonsense.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I do not believe her claim about Pantoffel at all.

bigbigtruck
Feb 7, 2011

rattlesnake caught in a wheel well, strawberry in an ostrich throat
Dang, Captain Hetr, that's a low blow, right in the professional pride. :mad:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Captain "Hater" indeed :v:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Way to poke your rear end into other people's business, Elka.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Wow, sucks to be Toma.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
And that's probably Murk.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Looks like things are getting a little 4th wall again.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I love it when she plays with the site design like this! I didn't even notice the guy up there the previous page, made me go back though the last few pages to see if I missed anything else.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Yep! Well, a Murkoph-free comic was nice while it lasted.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

There's plenty of legitimate criticisms to be made about Unsounded but the way Ashley works the site layout itself into her comic pages is seriously so well done. Though it kind of makes me not want to buy the books if she ever decides to print more of them because surely the effect will be lost a little. :v:

SpudCat fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 7, 2013

eladank
Feb 22, 2013

Fabricated posted:

the smiley face in page 16 and the current page doesn't seem very murk like to me

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

eladank posted:

the smiley face in page 16 and the current page doesn't seem very murk like to me

Look at the windows at the very top of the most recent page.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Oxxidation posted:

Jeeze that's subtle.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Axiem posted:

Jeeze that's subtle.

And creepy!

eladank
Feb 22, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

while I haven't noticed them before those are actually more evidence that it is isn't Murkoph since the guy in the windows is wearing clothes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

eladank posted:

while I haven't noticed them before those are actually more evidence that it is isn't Murkoph since the guy in the windows is wearing clothes.

Is he? That looks like a bare torso to me.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Now that you mention it, he's in the windows on the previous page, too.

Where's the smiley face?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

PleasingFungus posted:

Where's the smiley face?

On the left of the panel where she grabs the poisoned star. The black crud forms a smiley face.

eladank
Feb 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Is he? That looks like a bare torso to me.

look like he's wearing a cape to me.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

On the left of the panel where she grabs the poisoned star. The black crud forms a smiley face.

also on page 16 in panels 3 and 4 on the wall behind her.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

eladank posted:

look like he's wearing a cape to me.

He's buck-rear end naked, bro.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Well I'd say that puts the speculation at rest.

Hello creepy rear end in a top hat.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

:sigh: 'Nother page is up.

Dammit, Murkoph, this is a really good story where everyone has their own well-written motivations that interplay against eachother with a neat fantasy backdrop full of intricate details, and then you just have to show up being all creepy and wacky.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

At least we got a new good character (Elka) to make up for the fact there's a terrible one here.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Elka has been around a while; she may just actually get some characterization now!

SlothfulCobra posted:

:sigh: 'Nother page is up.

Dammit, Murkoph, this is a really good story where everyone has their own well-written motivations that interplay against eachother with a neat fantasy backdrop full of intricate details, and then you just have to show up being all creepy and wacky.
I'll give the guy another shot. Once everyone's stories converge we'll get to see if he fits in.

If he continues to gently caress up every scene he's in I'll just write him off; he'll be to Ashley Cope as Jar Jar Binks was to Lucas- the character the creator really liked that no one else did.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 9, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Fabricated posted:

I'll give the guy another shot. Once everyone's stories converge we'll get to see if he fits in.
I don't, if that guy keeps showing up out of nowhere being a giant creepshow for no obvious reason I'm really going to give up on this. I mean for gently caress's sake, the comic hasn't been done with the previous storyline for a month and we're already back to the fetish bullshit.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't, if that guy keeps showing up out of nowhere being a giant creepshow for no obvious reason I'm really going to give up on this. I mean for gently caress's sake, the comic hasn't been done with the previous storyline for a month and we're already back to the fetish bullshit.
Well, he's not back quite yet. This is just a setup to remind you that, "yes, Murkoph is breaking out of the Khert. He'll be back."

We'll see if he even does anything this chapter, and if he's actually an asset to the story when he comes back presumably without the need for an introduction.

I don't like him either since having bothered to read a lot of the stuff Ashley has written about him I find him a hell of a lot less original/interesting/fascinating than she does and I don't CARE if I'm "supposed to hate him", but I honestly don't think we've seen him in this version of her world enough to really determine if he's awful or not.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What's up with the intense loathing of Murkoph in here?

I don't recall much about him, just some random evil dead guy. Is he more significant than that?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Jackard posted:

What's up with the intense loathing of Murkoph in here?

I don't recall much about him, just some random evil dead guy. Is he more significant than that?

There's a lot of info about the comic that hasn't been revealed yet on offsite stuff that the author has. Some fans read way too much into it and it winds up coloring their perceptions of the comic. It's dumb and you should ignore it.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
While I agree for the most part, what we've seen of the character in the comic is pretty repugnant. I haven't read any of the non-comic stuff, and from what I can tell Murkoph is an unrepentant murderer/rapist/pedophile. Plenty of reason for people to dislike him. I think people here just hoped not to see him again so soon after the last chapter.

Probably related to Murkoph's appearances and the gore of the last chapter, I noticed that the author changed her "parental rating" or whatever. It used to say PG-13. Now it says 15+. At least she's acknowledging that the comic is dealing with more mature subject matter.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think it's because a lot of people can't understand that writing badguys is fun, and when they read "I like writing Murkoph" they think "OH gently caress NOW THIS WHOLE COMICS GONNA BE ABOUT THIS DUDE GODDAMN I HATE HIM THE COMIC IS RUINED". Even in a chapter that's pretty much all about another character we didn't know much about before and people seem to like.

eladank
Feb 22, 2013

Madrox posted:

While I agree for the most part, what we've seen of the character in the comic is pretty repugnant. I haven't read any of the non-comic stuff, and from what I can tell Murkoph is an unrepentant murderer/rapist/pedophile. Plenty of reason for people to dislike him. I think people here just hoped not to see him again so soon after the last chapter.

Silverfish is also an unrepentant murderer/rapist/pedophile and people don't treat him the same way.
the hatred for Murkoph comes straight from out of comic knowledge, whether that knowledge is correct or not is not something we know at this point.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Madrox posted:

While I agree for the most part, what we've seen of the character in the comic is pretty repugnant. I haven't read any of the non-comic stuff, and from what I can tell Murkoph is an unrepentant murderer/rapist/pedophile.

Now, now, let's give the man some credit. He wanted to eat Sette, not molest her.

In any case, it looks like he's been shoved to the wayside again.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Besides all the above, the people who complain about Murkoph have been focusing the discussion of the comic on him, to the exclusion of all else sometimes. This is for a guy who's been in... What, less than twenty pages total? Despite the doomsaying the comic isn't about him, but you wouldn't be able to tell looking at this thread. Personally I'm hating the conversations about Murkoph more than I dislike him, and he's not a character type I'm particularly fond of.

Anyway, it's great that the comic's back. Toma and Elka are entertaining and, based on their conversation, are looking into Sette's adoptive father, so we may get more info on that guy soon. Also, looks like we're getting back to Duane, and he'll be actually conscious and not a mindless zombie or hallucinating ghost for it even.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's just that while everyone else acts for a reason, he's just doing crazy things because of crazy monkeycheese while mugging to the camera. Murkoph seems like he's just there as some kind of wacky comic relief, except instead of having jokes, he just acts super creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The random "wacky" serial killer character is generally the worst character, yes. The worry isn't just that, though; the main issue is that in the roleplaying game this comic was based on, Murkoph was played by the author and was basically her favorite character. Her web site is full of art of this character and she has said many times how interesting he is. So what we have is a character that we consider boring and annoying that we fear will become important in the comic and eclipse characters we are actually interested in because of the author's interest in him. Basically, Murkoph is Scrappy Doo.

That said, since the last time he showed up, Ashley Cope has said in her Formspring that Murkoph is not going to be that important in this story. As long as she sticks with that, I don't see any long-term problems, just the occasional eye-roll for a few pages when he shows up.