Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So in Obliteration, is the MAA on a ridiculously long respawn timer or does it only appear once and then never again once its killed? I've been wanting to try it out but I never see it respawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Kibayasu posted:

So in Obliteration, is the MAA on a ridiculously long respawn timer or does it only appear once and then never again once its killed? I've been wanting to try it out but I never see it respawn.
Vehicle spawn timers (or lack of) have been all over the place for the entire beta.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Naturally Selected posted:

Remember to adjust for angle, as well. A rifle zeroed for 200 will hit center if you shoot level. If you're aiming down significantly, it'll hit high. The m40 zeroed at 200, if you shoot from the B elevator building to C rubble, will usually hit closer to the first dot *above* center, even though it's actually ~210m as measured. Likewise, shooting up from C rubble will hit lower due to the same -9.8m/s^2 accel that makes the bullet drop. It's something you have to get a feel for. And never shoot moving targets.

(If you're aware of this, I apologize. Figuring out the right angle adjustments was a bit annoying at first, since few games actually model them.)
I actually wasn't sure how the bullet warp works. Sometimes it steers up, sometimes it drops down. Could be poor calibration, though?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

KatMan911 posted:

A proper Imperial Guard emblem? Anyone? Anyone? Or Mechanicus, a cog+skull thing?

This is about as close as I could get for the imperial eagle. Click it for the profile:

Edit: now with a preview that you can actually see on a light background, ingame it's just white on transparent.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 12, 2013

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What are your thoughts on the infantry controls vs bf3? They seem a bit more sluggish but intentionally? I don't think I've played long enough to know if this is good or bad?

I like movement around objects and not being able to clip into things.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
The peeking system and anti-prone clipping is neat but the stupid strafe lurching and increased model collision (team blocking is stickier than ever) doesn't enhance the experience at all and is really bad, especially given that the netcode seems to have all the same client-side bias errors of BF3.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

TheRationalRedditor posted:

especially given that the netcode seems to have all the same client-side bias errors of BF3.

Why is this a bad thing again. I'm sure that for every time I could blame the the hit detection that I got killed, I've had equal measure of kills where the other guys feels the same. I can't tell you how much better RO2 felt when they moved from a server side hit detection to a client based model, but too little too late for that game...

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

It always makes me furious when I realize the potential of this game and how it gets curb-stomped by full on player retardation.
It really appears that 90% of the player base can't even grasp the concept of the Obliteration game mode.

BTW, looking for Eurogoons to squad up with. Origin name is mcbexxx

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

mcbexx posted:

BTW, looking for Eurogoons to squad up with. Origin name is mcbexxx

Just add Sandweed.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Sereri posted:

Just add Sandweed.

And Macress!

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
You can add Zernach too

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
This may be a hard question to answer and don't get all PC-master-racey on me, but for anyone who played BF3 on both the console and PC: Is there a noticeable difference between the playbases when it come to people playing the objective or are pubbies just pubbies the world over?

I ask because although my laptop does run the game (just about) I may be the only person in the world who prefers a controller to a m/kb (except for aiming) and I find playing the game more comfortable to play on my xbox. However, I don't want the PS4 version to be, in 6 months time, 63 people hiding in bushes with sniper rifles and me trying to plant a bomb, while on PC everyone is still trying to play the actual game.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

The vehicle spawns seem to be affected by the skyscraper coming down as well. It could also be that they just spawn in the wrong place, like the boat can do.

Icura
Oct 9, 2013
Is it just me or does the server-side seem to be responding better? I mean, a week ago, I was not having fun with the strange hit detection that I attributed to latency issues (probably incorrectly), but now, it seems like I'm not getting so many strange issues anymore. My shots seemed to be responding better, especially with automatic fire at longer ranges. It feels different, though I'm not sure if they actually did fixed something or my mind is playing games with me.

KatMan911
Jan 21, 2002
CHEAP FUCKASS. I HAVE NO COMPASSION. IGNORE ME. I AM WORTHLESS.

Perestroika posted:

This is about as close as I could get for the imperial eagle. Click it for the profile:

Edit: now with a preview that you can actually see on a light background, ingame it's just white on transparent.
Nice, thanks!

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

This may be a hard question to answer and don't get all PC-master-racey on me, but for anyone who played BF3 on both the console and PC: Is there a noticeable difference between the playbases when it come to people playing the objective or are pubbies just pubbies the world over?

I ask because although my laptop does run the game (just about) I may be the only person in the world who prefers a controller to a m/kb (except for aiming) and I find playing the game more comfortable to play on my xbox. However, I don't want the PS4 version to be, in 6 months time, 63 people hiding in bushes with sniper rifles and me trying to plant a bomb, while on PC everyone is still trying to play the actual game.

I played bf3 on the ps3 And pretty much pubbys are pubbys. With three you kind of had a advantage on console because they had VoIP built in and you could occasionally herd them to ptfo. But now with bf4 the PC mustard race gets that to. If you do switch to console just be the guy who talks and you will do just fine. Most people will either let you lead them or leave your squad.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

xyigx posted:

I played bf3 on the ps3 And pretty much pubbys are pubbys. With three you kind of had a advantage on console because they had VoIP built in and you could occasionally herd them to ptfo. But now with bf4 the PC mustard race gets that to. If you do switch to console just be the guy who talks and you will do just fine. Most people will either let you lead them or leave your squad.

Well I only actually played BF3 on xbox, so if anything I will be switching from console. Pubbies were OK in that game but there were lots of people not playing the objective. I'm not sure if it was more apparent though because it was only 12v12 so if 4 people decide to snipe it becomes basically COD on BF3 maps.

Also you could lock the match down with just one goon squad and lots of the time that I played with goons we would actually swap teams to fight each other so that it was more competitive and not just launching shells 500m into their spawn.

Kash
Jul 17, 2003

It's ironic. I finally have love in my heart but, alas, there is blood in my urine.
I took the liberty of adding the Eurogoons above as I was just playing some infuriating obliteration games where my squad was of no support whatsoever the 2 times I planted the bomb. And of course half the team were snipers who didn't even attempt to laser paint the helicopter with the bomb in, twice.

In other news when I was too tired last night I made this for any Greendale fans, I'm sure someone more artistic could make a better version. I'm ComplicatedShoes (click the picture for profile) if any other Eurogoons want to add.

E Pluribus Anus!

It does turn my arms blue though. Is that supposed to happen? If I give it a dark border would that fix it?

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

Jippa posted:

What are your thoughts on the infantry controls vs bf3? They seem a bit more sluggish but intentionally? I don't think I've played long enough to know if this is good or bad?

I like movement around objects and not being able to clip into things.

BF4 movement feels meatier in the sense of your soldier actually using his body to move around and gain momentum. I like the fact that when you sprint, it actually takes a few seconds before you're at top speed.

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

BossRighteous posted:

Here's another console trick for placing a tracing image behind the emblem creator:

-snip-

Thanks to this I was able to make an okay-ish Kestrel Cruiser:

Click the image for my profile.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Funkz posted:

BF4 movement feels meatier in the sense of your soldier actually using his body to move around and gain momentum. I like the fact that when you sprint, it actually takes a few seconds before you're at top speed.

Why do you like it?

Popcornicus
Nov 22, 2007

Jippa posted:

Why do you like it?

I can guess: because when you're a goon trying to move around in the world it feels heavy and meaty. Verisimilitude.

Game-related post content: I can't wait to ditch the MX4 for carbines. It really is a bad bad gun.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Hm, that's new. Today the game started freezing and crashing ("BF4 has stopped working") a lot the instant I got killed, while the static screen effect comes up. Happens every 3-4 deaths and it is really annoying. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Jippa posted:

Why do you like it?

Movement feels super good, like they took a page from their own Mirror's Edge playbook. When do I get soldiers running up walls, dice??

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

mcbexx posted:

Hm, that's new. Today the game started freezing and crashing ("BF4 has stopped working") a lot the instant I got killed, while the static screen effect comes up. Happens every 3-4 deaths and it is really annoying. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Updating Punkbuster fixed this issue for me. I didn't uninstall it then reinstall though, I just downloaded the thing from their website and set it to update for BF4.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Popcornicus posted:

Game-related post content: I can't wait to ditch the MX4 for carbines. It really is a bad bad gun.
The MX4 isn't that bad as long as you stay fairly close range.
Related:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Jippa posted:

Why do you like it?

Because the movement feels more realistic, there is inertia behind your actions.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So whats the best way to record your gameplay without constantly recording everything and filling up your hard drive?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Internet Explorer posted:

So whats the best way to record your gameplay without constantly recording everything and filling up your hard drive?

Fraps has a function where it buffers the last 30 seconds or so. If something happens you press a button and it saves the buffer and keeps rolling.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sereri posted:

Fraps has a function where it buffers the last 30 seconds or so. If something happens you press a button and it saves the buffer and keeps rolling.

Nice! I have a Fraps license from when it first came out but haven't used it since. Will have to check out that feature. Thank you.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Internet Explorer posted:

FRAPS in loop recording mode. It buffers the last 30 seconds (default, looks like it can go up to 90 seconds) in memory then when you hit the record button it writes out that buffer to disk and keeps writing to disk until you stop the recording.

MoonSha
Jan 26, 2006
I hate Korea
I loved the SG1 patch so I tweaked it a bit to closer match this hopefully accurate patch from here http://www.scifigeeks.com/product_info.php/products_id/40952?osCsid=56b41998c90ffb8d17028ff029a6882e

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Sereri posted:

Does using this method instead of normal recording lower the recording software's impact on the CPU? Because besides videos taking up huge amounts of space my attempts at trying to record stuff were usually hindered by the stress put on my processor.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sereri posted:

As a way of saying thank you, please enjoy this quick Battlefield 4 Ultimate Gameplay Compilation I put together of my favorite "Battlefield" moments.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Sereri posted:

I prefer PlayClaw (and it also has this function as well).

Also, Internet Explorer, if you really want to start making highlight videos, I really recommend getting a second hard drive (2+ TB preferably) and using it solely for that.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

mcbexx posted:

Does the crash happen only when you get blown to bits either by C4 or something similar?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Steeltalon posted:

Babylon 5 insignia

I ran out of layers so I couldnt add the last two stars.. :cry:

I tried one of these too but spent a bunch of layers making the 5 and then didn't have any left for a sword.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Randler posted:

Does using this method instead of normal recording lower the recording software's impact on the CPU? Because besides videos taking up huge amounts of space my attempts at trying to record stuff were usually hindered by the stress put on my processor.

No, your CPU still gets hit hard with capturing and encoding the video, memory too (to buffer it). It just saves you from storing and sorting through giant files.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

fookolt posted:

I prefer PlayClaw (and it also has this function as well).

Also, Internet Explorer, if you really want to start making highlight videos, I really recommend getting a second hard drive (2+ TB preferably) and using it solely for that.

Thanks for the suggestions. I already have a second data drive but I thought the I/O was the limit on these recordings so I have been recording to my SSD. I'll have to give recording to the data drive a shot.

[Edit: Recording 1080p to the slower data drive works great. Thanks!]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, uh, about that AK 5C :stare:

I don't think I've ever service starred a weapon within less than one hour of getting it. Admittedly half that time I'd been playing domination, but still. I can't wait for release so I can slap a silencer on that or another carbine and go spec-ops style as a recon with wizard balls and C4.

• Locked thread