Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

So, new stuff of the day: Opera Coast. Touch-optimized, iPad only (though more coming later), meant to feel more like an app launcher/start screen than a traditional browser. Developer page here, for setting up nice launcher icons and such. (Using, ofc, yet another different icon size from everything else.)

They're handling site security kind of ... interestingly. No https indicator, but you get a web of trust-indicator thingy at the bottom, and known-bad pages get a rather nice warning. (Opera has a few pretend-bad examples to test - http://blacklisted.opera.com/jalla is "fraud", and http://blacklisted.opera.com/malware is "malware".)

I can't find my iPad 1, so I can't say I have tested it. Oh, and they're not claiming this as a replacement for mini, so that's not going away yet.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I remember when Opera presented a touch-based standard relying on rel="next" and rel="prev" something like five years ago, and I've been wondering why nothing ever came of this.

It's still weird that they branched out to do a second browser, but maybe it's for the better.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I guess it's easier to try and interpret the entire web on their own than to get anyone to follow their standards. Very opera.

On the other hand, this doesn't really depend on too much parsing or cooperation, since the gestures in this are "forward" and "back" and such instead of anything that needs semantic info from the page. The most you'd gain from implementing their stuff this time is a nicer-looking button on their launcher thingy. :)

As for diverging browsers, it's kind of in the apple spirit - different devices require different interfaces, and the normal (touch-enabled) opera browsers are more of a desktop browser that can be controlled with your fingers. I have to use it for a while to see if it makes sense, but I don't really have a device for doing that atm.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 9, 2013

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

ufarn posted:

I remember when Opera presented a touch-based standard relying on rel="next" and rel="prev" something like five years ago, and I've been wondering why nothing ever came of this.

It's still weird that they branched out to do a second browser, but maybe it's for the better.

Is this about the fast-forward thing? Does that work yet?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

uXs posted:

Is this about the fast-forward thing? Does that work yet?
Well it doesn't work on Coast, so don't bother.

It's the navigation that allows you to go to the defined "next" page by pressing Space at the bottom of a webpage in the old version (15?) of Opera.

Some of the sites supporting this are Daring Fireball and NeoGAF. SA used to support this, but it got mangled in the recent redesign.

It's basically one of the simplest and best browser featured that no one has bothered to implement.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

ufarn posted:

Well it doesn't work on Coast, so don't bother.

It's the navigation that allows you to go to the defined "next" page by pressing Space at the bottom of a webpage in the old version (15?) of Opera.

Some of the sites supporting this are Daring Fireball and NeoGAF. SA used to support this, but it got mangled in the recent redesign.

It's basically one of the simplest and best browser featured that no one has bothered to implement.

Still works on SA, but you have to edit the fastforward.ini. As long as the new Opera doesn't have fast-forward functionality, I won't upgrade.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Opera 18 development out for Windows and Mac. They pretty much just flat out say its focus is what they've already been working on (tabs, Quick Access Bar, search manager), so nothing exciting. The big changes are moving tabs between windows and.. uh... theme installation stabilization. There's some pop-up failure Known Issue, so you might want to wait until the next one.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Doom Goon posted:

Opera 18 development out for Windows and Mac. They pretty much just flat out say its focus is what they've already been working on (tabs, Quick Access Bar, search manager), so nothing exciting. The big changes are moving tabs between windows and.. uh... theme installation stabilization. There's some pop-up failure Known Issue, so you might want to wait until the next one.

Opera: You might want to wait until the Next one. That's a pretty good tagline.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Has anyone seen any graphs about the market shares of Opera versions? (specifically ones with both versions <13 and >13) I'm really curious if the new rendering engine has helper Opera's cumulative market share at all, and what is its market share when compared to the old one.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Opera users often use a different user agent string to circumvent sites that block browsers that aren't Safari/Chrome/FF, so those numbers may not mean all that much.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

ufarn posted:

Opera users often use a different user agent string to circumvent sites that block browsers that aren't Safari/Chrome/FF, so those numbers may not mean all that much.

Yeah, I've never really believed that explanation, especially since only the "mask as" options completely hide the Opera user agent, so any analysis package worth anything will be able to correctly identify at least 3/5 of Opera's possible user agent strings.

And I personally have not even used those options in years, because it's not actually a real problem. Or can you show some sites that actually block Opera users (I don't consider a nag banners blocking). And anyway, even among Opera users, I think it's more probable that the vast majority don't bother changing the user agent at all. So while Opera's market share figures might not be completely accurate, they are probably within .1 percentage point.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Wheany posted:

Has anyone seen any graphs about the market shares of Opera versions? (specifically ones with both versions <13 and >13) I'm really curious if the new rendering engine has helper Opera's cumulative market share at all, and what is its market share when compared to the old one.
I'm curious about that as well, but don't most data aggregations about that type suffer from large error margins or measure-point self-selection issues that would completely overrule any significant differences on the scale of Opera version histograms?

Unless Opera themselves release download or auto-update request statistics.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I spent a few hours today customizing firefox extensions to behave exactly like opera 12 did. I still have some little handy features to find solutions for... such as the quick pop up menu when you double click. My google fu isn't good enough to find that behavior.

However, overall, I'd say i'm pretty drat close to replicating opera 12 in firefox. Holy poo poo guys, firefox has "instant back/forward" like opera 7/8/9 used to have. That is what started me down this path. I'll see if there's a way to export all the settings and we can all use it.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 12, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

down1nit posted:

the quick pop up menu when you double click.

What? Double-clicking just selects a word.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I hope nobody minds I haven't been posting updates, starting to feel like a bad RSS. Dev 18's been pretty snoozeville in my opinion (not only that, but their half-step measures are really irritating to me), but maybe that'll change since it is going to Next next week.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Doom Goon posted:

I hope nobody minds I haven't been posting updates, starting to feel like a bad RSS. Dev 18's been pretty snoozeville in my opinion (not only that, but their half-step measures are really irritating to me), but maybe that'll change since it is going to Next next week.

Nah, It's good. I haven't actively followed the goings-on at opera after the engine switch, but I'm still somewhat interested.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Opera 17 has been very crashy for me. I'm in the Next channel (I haven't been in the stable channel since the transition) but the build I have is pretty much the same with the stable build. About 3 to 4 times a day, maybe more, it will crash, then restart with no tabs and all the extensions disabled. It's also somewhat random when it does it. I found a link yesterday that, when clicking it, consistently crashed Opera, but a few hours later it would not. And, it's got some bugs with never loading (not never stop loading) a page like it has lost internet connection, and needs restarting.

I also find it very annoying that all my tabs have to be auto-reloaded when I close and reopen Opera. Especially on a laptop this is very taxing on the CPU and everything glitches out. Is there an option to use cached versions?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Tiggum posted:

What? Double-clicking just selects a word.

Opera 12 and older: Preferences > Advanced > Toolbars: Double click text to display context menu

Used to be on by default in previous versions of Opera. Saves exactly one mouse click. I liked the feature. :)

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I've been using Next v17 as my primary browser lately and it's been completely rock-solid. Obviously this isn't the case for everybody but I haven't had any problems that aren't related to missing features.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Heresiarch posted:

I've been using Next v17 as my primary browser lately and it's been completely rock-solid. Obviously this isn't the case for everybody but I haven't had any problems that aren't related to missing features.
I've stopped doing that since i noticed it leaking memory like crazy, as in ">4GB for <5 tabs" until it actually locks my system into paging freeze, which is impressive because regular chrome only uses like 100 MB for the same tabs and even the ancient v12 install (that regularly ramps up to 3 GB after an hour of use) doesn't screw up that badly.

Am i just getting really really unlucky?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I've stopped doing that since i noticed it leaking memory like crazy, as in ">4GB for <5 tabs" until it actually locks my system into paging freeze, which is impressive because regular chrome only uses like 100 MB for the same tabs and even the ancient v12 install (that regularly ramps up to 3 GB after an hour of use) doesn't screw up that badly.

Am i just getting really really unlucky?

I have no idea. I habitually have plugins set to load-on-click, and I tend to close tabs and open new ones instead of recycling them when I go to a new site, so maybe that helps? It might also be some kind of misbehaving extension, if you're using any.

One way to see if it's a problem with your configuration is to do a separate install in portable mode just for testing. The portable version will have it's own config, which makes it easier to diagnose stuff.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

down1nit posted:

I spent a few hours today customizing firefox extensions to behave exactly like opera 12 did. I still have some little handy features to find solutions for... such as the quick pop up menu when you double click. My google fu isn't good enough to find that behavior.

However, overall, I'd say i'm pretty drat close to replicating opera 12 in firefox. Holy poo poo guys, firefox has "instant back/forward" like opera 7/8/9 used to have. That is what started me down this path. I'll see if there's a way to export all the settings and we can all use it.

Would you mind posting what extensions you've settled for? I've been trying to find a browser with a built in RSS reader. Getting off 12.16 will some day be inevitable but my RSS feeds and quick search Keywords are hard to leave behind.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Megabound posted:

Would you mind posting what extensions you've settled for? I've been trying to find a browser with a built in RSS reader. Getting off 12.16 will some day be inevitable but my RSS feeds and quick search Keywords are hard to leave behind.

Firefox has search keywords by default. Right click in any search box and 'add a keyword for this search'.

For RSS, you could make the switch to a web reader. I used Opera's RSS reader for a few months before jumping to Google Reader, it was like night and day. This thread might be helpful if you want to go down that route - thread favourites seem to be Feedly and TinyTinyRSS.

Best gesture addon is All-In-One Gestures (very customisable, you can set it up to work almost identically to Opera), and the best speed dial I've found is FVD Speed Dial.

I also have this installed to change the autoscroll behaviour because the FF default really bothered me.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Megabound posted:

Sure! It's working out great. It's pretty much Opera 12 with instant back and reeeally smooth scrolling (i like it).

Spent a long time setting up everything to my liking... even have the bookmark/downloads/info panels working. I think I'm done customizing, I'll post a list and export all the settings I can when I get home. I've not found a replacement for synced notes like opera link had, though I suspect I will be moving to evernote or something anyway. I'm sure there's an extension for that, but getting it in a panel will be hard.

sbt
Jan 13, 2006

squonk
Tortured By Flan
Is there a way in Firefox to get the right click/scroll wheel tab switching to work like in Opera?
All-in-one gestures has a function like that and it's pretty close, but it doesn't go through the tabs in last used order. I didn't see an option to do that either.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I tested out the latest Opera release but noticed they still don't support H.264 in HTML5 video. Are they still trying to push theora or webM or whatever? Even Google's smart enough to include H.264 support in Chrome despite their announcement ages ago that they'd drop support for it in the future.

I ask because I really like the new Chromium based Opera but not having H.264 support makes it a no-go for me. I'm not about to go back to watching everything with Flash again.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
H264 decoders cost money, and Opera aint paying. Maybe they will start using the system codecs like Firefox.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Opera 18 Next is out and....it crashes every 10 minutes with no explanation.

This is brilliant, guys.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Cuntpunch posted:

This is brilliant, guys.
Thanks for warning me. Guess I'll leave Opera alone and keep my tabs that way.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

sbt posted:

Is there a way in Firefox to get the right click/scroll wheel tab switching to work like in Opera?
All-in-one gestures has a function like that and it's pretty close, but it doesn't go through the tabs in last used order. I didn't see an option to do that either.

This, along with single-key shortcuts is too ingrained in muscle memory to let me switch from Opera :cry:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Adding single-key shortcuts to FireFox is trivial. So far the only things I've wanted from Opera that I haven't found addons for is fit-to-width and Opera's handling of shift/ctrl click on non-link things.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Cuntpunch posted:

This is brilliant, guys.
It's been far more stable for me. So far no crashes since yesterday.
It did show some weird behavior when trying to save a downloaded file; in the save file dialogue, I got a popup that folder "" does not exist.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
Is there any place with a list of opera 12 features and a list of which have been implemented in the latest versions yet?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

AbstractNapper posted:

It's been far more stable for me. So far no crashes since yesterday.
It did show some weird behavior when trying to save a downloaded file; in the save file dialogue, I got a popup that folder "" does not exist.

It became stable again when I cleared my cache, closed all of my tabs completely, restarted it, and re-opened the same tabs.

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!
Twitter and a few other websites have pushed out updates that Opera 12.16 can't handle. I guess it's the end for old school Opera. Does anyone have a good list of firefox plugins that are similar to all of Opera's features?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Raften posted:

Twitter and a few other websites have pushed out updates that Opera 12.16 can't handle. I guess it's the end for old school Opera. Does anyone have a good list of firefox plugins that are similar to all of Opera's features?
Yeah, this poo poo has been getting more and more common. :( Someone needs to break into Opera and steal 12.16's code so the world can fork that poo poo. I want my browser back.

Also, echoing your FF request, if anyone knows instead how to turn Chrome into Opera or whatever I'm all ears.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
I gave in and tried 17 yesterday and I could probably live with it save for one thing: I rely on UserJS to fix a few things that would otherwise render some websites useless. Is there some way to kludge this functionality into the new version?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am right now switching from Opera to Firefox. Been at it for a week, and I got used to most things that I couldn't change.

Things I got used to:
Tab groups work totally different. But I think I prefer Firefox' way.

Things that still annoy me:
Firefox sync is pretty flaky, and can't exclude options per machine.
Mouse gestures don't work on my speeddial on my linuxbox. It works on my windowsbox.
Feedly is OK, but I still would prefer something more like Opera's rss reader.

Addons:
Adblock Plus
Add to Search Bar
All-in-One Gestures
Context Search
Customizable Shortcuts
Download Statusbar
Extended Statusbar
Flashblock
FVD speed dial
Open Bookmarks in New Tab

also, Rikaisama, Lastpass and SALR, but I already had them on Opera.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is 17 stable enough for daily use or should I just switch to Chrome with extensions? The problem with Twitter etc is the last straw. Goodbye, Opera, it's been an OK 8yrs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
The thing I hated about FireFox was the tab resizing. There was a plugin that forced tabs to auto-resize to the same width like Opera does, but it was a sort-of clunky thing where they would animate in a goofy way. Nit-picking, I know, but I already had the browser I wanted oh God, Opera, why!?